PDA

View Full Version : OT Box wine

rwsaunders
06-28-2011, 12:40 AM
I'm on the road this week and I didn't care to eat out again, so I hit the grocery store and added a box of wine to the cart. I must say that I'm not an oenophile, but I have questioned the quality of the product that comes in the same container as buttermilk and eggbeaters.

First reaction...not bad, and you do feel like you're paying attention to the resources used in the processing and the shipment of the product. This could be the new brother-in-law wine for the holidays. You know...Try some of my reserve, as March was a good month...

Any suggestions regarding the better brands that are out there?

dave thompson
06-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Chateauneuf du Wogga Wogga, vintage Tuesday

Louis
06-28-2011, 01:44 AM
Chateauneuf du Wogga Wogga, vintage Tuesday

"Of the sparkling wines, the most famous is "Perth Pink". This is a bottle with a message in, and the message is BEWARE!."

BTW, take a look at the Similar Threads section.

Who would have thought that I'm such an aficionado?

djg
06-30-2011, 07:57 AM
"Of the sparkling wines, the most famous is "Perth Pink". This is a bottle with a message in, and the message is BEWARE!."

BTW, take a look at the Similar Threads section.

Who would have thought that I'm such an aficionado?

You know, Louis, another good fighting wine is Melbourne Old-and-Yellow, which is particularly heavy and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat.

vsefiream
06-30-2011, 08:31 AM
My wife and I like to do a wine tour or two each year and we end up with 12-24 bottles brought home to carry us through the year. Last year, while at Bully Hill, we toured there new "boxing" line. I know the box stigma is trashy but they had some good points and it does stay fresher longer. There are some of us out there who don't finish the whole bottle in a sitting. I know, it's a shocker and some may call that alcohol abuse :bike: The box wine is nice for us in this way.
Anyhow, just wanted to plug one of our favorite wineries :)
If you are ever in NYS looking for good wines, take a day to drive around Senaca lake, there are more than 60 wineries on this one small lake. Most of them have tasting rooms.

godfrey1112000
06-30-2011, 08:41 AM
I was in the Hotel Business, horrible time in my life got fired started to ride a bike 1988, the wine vendors introduced a box/bag program for high volume users, concept was good but it was messy if the Bar Back/Bus Boy did not know what they were doing,

The Bag program is designed to protect the wine from the air and its effects,
slow to catch on except in the "housewife" market, drinking a few before the man of the house comes home, I digress. :beer:

Now the move in the wine industry is to get rid of the cork, I have purchased some $13-25 bottles with the screw top, usually the snobs have more of a problem with this deal,

I am not sure if the wine industry will move towards the plastic bottle similar to the spirits side,

there is so much wine on the open market they can not bottle all of it so moving bulk in the long run will make a product with a limited shelf life sell

I doubt you will see someone approach your table with a bag in a fine dining room but after paying $13-19 for a glass of good red if it lowers the price bring the bag :D

EDS
06-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Bandit is probably one of the better choices. Interestingly, there was a local team a few years ago "sponsored" by Bandit.

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Unchartered waters here, but according to the wine "cona-sewer", my mo-in-law loves Fish Eye.

eddief
06-30-2011, 10:26 AM
http://blogs.forbes.com/katodell/2011/06/04/the-truth-about-box-wine-its-not-all-that-bad/

srice
06-30-2011, 11:32 AM
http://blogs.forbes.com/katodell/2011/06/04/the-truth-about-box-wine-its-not-all-that-bad/

I can vouch for the BlackBox wines in the article. They are worth buying to keep around - not as good as a nice pinot, but for everyday guzzling, they work fine.

skijoring
06-30-2011, 11:45 AM
great for rafting, camping, MTB trips. Otherwise, stick to bottles! :beer:

Dekonick
06-30-2011, 11:33 PM
I can vouch for the BlackBox wines in the article. They are worth buying to keep around - not as good as a nice pinot, but for everyday guzzling, they work fine.

Black Box is a great every day solution. We cook with it, drink it, and love that it is not wasteful. A glass of wine does not mean the 'bottle' is toast... it keeps for weeks!

Snobs need not apply, but my bet is you will find high end wines eventually go screw cap... and possibly decent wines in the box...

Jack Brunk
06-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Not sure the box is cool after having a couple of glasses of 2004 Alpha Omega Napa cab tonight out of the bottle. Just saying like Socal Steve. :beer:

Kontact
07-01-2011, 12:37 AM
Considering that Charles Shaw and others manage to profit off of sub-$3 glass bottles of wine, I don't understand why taking wine out of chemically neutral, recycleable glass and putting it in plastic lined boxes makes any sense at all.

Camping, maybe?

SamIAm
07-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Not sure the box is cool after having a couple of glasses of 2004 Alpha Omega Napa cab tonight out of the bottle. Just saying like Socal Steve. :beer:

I had the 06 Alpha Omega a few months ago and was very impressed.

Never had wine out of a box and with a full cellar of gracefully ageing beauties, may it never be! :)

But seriously, I would expect to see the box offerings improve quite dramatically over the coming years. I just don't think you will ever see the 1st growths of the world arriving in anything but bottles with corks.

Alan
07-01-2011, 07:36 AM
I buy the Bota Boxes which are good for everyday drinking. I like the Malbec but the Merlot and Pinot Grigio are good too. They are kind of like having a kegerator but for wine.

Alan

Ozz
07-01-2011, 11:16 AM
A-O is good stuff...I was glad to see they finally got the tasting room/terrace / visitor center put together when I was down there a couple weeks ago.

FWIW - nothing wrong with a box as long as you like it....

Regarding screwtops vs artificial corks vs natural corks....they all do the job just fine. Wine Spectator had an article about screwtops a couple months ago. Bascially came down to that the screwtop is reliable and will protect the wine...seemed like a good thing especially for delicate white wines.

Downside is they lack the ceremony tableside at a fine restaurant.... :cool:

It's all good in my book.

:beer:

djg
07-02-2011, 09:26 AM
A-O is good stuff...I was glad to see they finally got the tasting room/terrace / visitor center put together when I was down there a couple weeks ago.

FWIW - nothing wrong with a box as long as you like it....

Regarding screwtops vs artificial corks vs natural corks....they all do the job just fine. Wine Spectator had an article about screwtops a couple months ago. Bascially came down to that the screwtop is reliable and will protect the wine...seemed like a good thing especially for delicate white wines.

Downside is they lack the ceremony tableside at a fine restaurant.... :cool:

It's all good in my book.

I agree with the basic stance -- the packaging doesn't bother me and the key consideration, always, is whether the person drinking the wine enjoys it. Frankly, I like the idea of experimenting with better and more economical ways to ship and store wine. As it happens, I've had some very nice wines from bottles topped with screw tops but I haven't enjoyed any of the box wines people have gotten me to try. Not a one.

So . . . folks know that a decent table wine can be re-corked (not necessarily, nor best, with an actual cork) yes? If promptly refrigerated, it's likely decent the next day. Not everything survives equally well, and it's not what I'd do with a prized bottle I've had put away for 10 years or more, but many things will be very drinkable the next day and, to me, much better than the box wines I've tried.

RPS
07-02-2011, 11:29 AM
...snipped....

There are some of us out there who don't finish the whole bottle in a sitting. I know, it's a shocker and some may call that alcohol abuse :bike: The box wine is nice for us in this way.
+1

We've tried it twice and liked the convenience; and the wine wasn't bad. Will definetely also consider it for camping.

John M
07-02-2011, 02:09 PM
So . . . folks know that a decent table wine can be re-corked (not necessarily, nor best, with an actual cork) yes? If promptly refrigerated, it's likely decent the next day. ......

Leftover wine? Don't have this problem too often at our house, especially if it was a bottle of the good stuff. We do keep box of white in the fridge for cooking.

djg
07-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Leftover wine? Don't have this problem too often at our house, especially if it was a bottle of the good stuff. We do keep box of white in the fridge for cooking.

Who says it's the first bottle of the evening that has a left over glass or two?

But yeah . . . something nice on the weekend, it's gone.

Ozz
07-03-2011, 10:51 AM
If you want to try a good "screwtop" wine...try "Miss Harry" from these folks:

Hewitson Wines (http://www.hewitson.com.au/page.php?section=791&mId=1510&catid=779)

97CSI
07-03-2011, 10:51 AM
I can vouch for the BlackBox wines in the article. They are worth buying to keep around - not as good as a nice pinot, but for everyday guzzling, they work fine.We drink the Black Box cab' as our everyday table wine and find it not only a decent wine, but a good buy at ~$22 compared to bottled wine.

William
07-03-2011, 02:21 PM
If I go to a box, does this mean I have to stop using my favorite cork screw???

http://foodbeast.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/brass-knuckle-screw1.jpg

William

Dekonick
07-03-2011, 07:17 PM
If I go to a box, does this mean I have to stop using my favorite cork screw???

http://foodbeast.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/brass-knuckle-screw1.jpg

William

3 O'clock!

Cat3roadracer
07-03-2011, 07:24 PM
I am amazed at how much wine is actually in the boxes. Doesn't seem possible to fit that many bottles in the box.

572cv
07-03-2011, 08:02 PM
one can often find a local winemaker selling the wine in a box. You can taste the wine right there in his trailer, determine if it is good, and buy a 5 liter box for half of what one would pay elsewhere. The wine can be of excellent quality, most drinkable. I have had particular success with local rose wines in the south of France.

flydhest
07-03-2011, 08:43 PM
one can often find a local winemaker selling the wine in a box. You can taste the wine right there in his trailer, determine if it is good, and buy a 5 liter box for half of what one would pay elsewhere. The wine can be of excellent quality, most drinkable. I have had particular success with local rose wines in the south of France.

+1
If wine is not something to be fussed over, it won't be.

Dekonick
07-03-2011, 10:22 PM
+1
If wine is not something to be fussed over, it won't be.

My grandparents used to go to the local shop with an empty wine jug and have it filled... they also had half a baguette delivered daily... Life is different in Bordeaux. :beer: