PDA

View Full Version : OT: sangria

vqdriver
06-27-2011, 07:56 PM
i'm not much of a wine drinker and over time we seem to have accumulated a few bottles i'd like to transform into sangria for a fourth of july bbq. it's a mix of different reds and that's about the extent of my knowledge of them. a couple cabs and maybe a merlot. i really haven't even looked at the labels for months.

any favorite recipes? i'd prefer something basic with a more universal appeal for the variety of people who'll be at the bbq. also, i don't plan on adding much, if any, liquor to the mix.

Dekonick
06-27-2011, 08:00 PM
How is this OT?!? :beer:

AngryScientist
06-27-2011, 08:03 PM
1 part red wine
1/2 part OJ
1/2 part sprite
lots of cut up fruit

non drinker types LOVE this stuff, love it.

MadRocketSci
06-27-2011, 08:50 PM
i find that Orangina is a step up from sprite, more natural taste and less fizz...

for alcohol drinkers, some people use a little cointreau or grand marnier....

false_Aest
06-27-2011, 09:19 PM
hrm.

you can make super yummy sangria by cutting down on the OJ and adding a 2nd fruit juice (mango is always a fav so is white grape).

If you guests like it sweeter, drop some honey in it.

Freeze some fruit slices (watermellon works quite well) and drop those in as ice cubes.

word

John M
06-27-2011, 09:37 PM
I don't think Sangria should have too much fizz. I like to use some pineapple juice, orange juice, and some squeezes of lemon juice. Then cut up fruit and float in it over lots of ice. +1 on the addition of an orange liqueur or Citron vodka to add some more alcoholic kick.

Ken Robb
06-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Yuck!!

echelon_john
06-28-2011, 01:24 AM
authentic sangria has no fizz. adjust proportions to amt of wine, but the recipe i use is:

3 1.5l bottles of red
1c brandy
1c triple sec
1/2 gal OJ
1 cup sugar

recipe from Dali restaurant in Somerville, MA

vqdriver
06-28-2011, 01:39 AM
Thanks guys. This'll be yummy.

AngryScientist
06-28-2011, 05:58 AM
Yuck!!

personally, i'm with you, i'm not a sangria fan at all, too sweet for my blood, but general non-drinker typed party go'ers love it.

Dekonick
06-28-2011, 08:02 PM
OH, it has a place...

Nothing like sitting in the square in some small Spanish town... with a pitcher of sangria, tapas, sun, an nowhere to go but the hotel...

:)

chuckroast
06-28-2011, 08:04 PM
It's definitely a great way to drink red wine in hot weather.

jr59
06-28-2011, 08:07 PM
OH, it has a place...

Nothing like sitting in the square in some small Spanish town... with a pitcher of sangria, tapas, sun, an nowhere to go but the hotel...

No better point could be made! :beer:

edl
06-30-2011, 05:48 PM
... i'd prefer something basic with a more universal appeal for the variety of people who'll be at the bbq. also, i don't plan on adding much, if any, liquor to the mix.

4 bottles red wine
1/4 to 1 cup brandy/cognac/bourbon/whiskey (whatever you have)
1/8 to 1/2 cup Cointreau/Grand Mariner
1/8 to 1/4 cup sugar. Make simple syrup so it dissolves easier.
Juice - 1/2-1 bottle white grape, 1/2-1 bottle orange juice.
Fruit - your choice - I'd start with 1 orange (no rind), 1 apple, 10-15 grapes.

I'd say blend it all together on the low end first and refrigerate for a day. See how you like it - you can always tune the flavor stronger (hard liquor) sweeter (cointrau/sugar) or lighter (juice) right before you serve it.

MadRocketSci
06-30-2011, 06:08 PM
OH, it has a place...

throw in some gazpacho i'm there....

MadRocketSci
06-30-2011, 06:09 PM
just a note that the traditional wine to use is Spanish Rioja...

but not that anyone will notice if you don't....

Ozz
06-30-2011, 06:12 PM
You willl probably want to use the Merlots or some Zinfandel if you have it....cabs might not be "fruity" enough and you will end up with some funky flavors....but might be just me.

I've always cut up whatever fruit is on hand (berries, orange, lemons, limes, pineapple, etc) and let them sit overnight. Add the club soda / seltzer when you serve it. You can add some sugar too....but I don't like my sangria too sweet.

The key is to let the fruit and wine sit for at least 24 hrs.....serve over ice.

If you want to try something fun....look for some sparkling shiraz (Shingleback is a good one about $15)....goes great with grilled steak and BBQ!

schwa86
06-30-2011, 07:47 PM
My college roomate was the son of a Spanish Professor, and he always said the secret is to brandy the fruit overnight -- eg soak the fruit in the brandy in one of the recipes that has both... All I know is that his sangria was really good...

Also, the Dali has the best sangria around, so if the post above is their recipe, definitely go for it!

Ken Robb
07-01-2011, 12:25 AM
I think if guests don't like alcohol I should serve them Pepsi and not try to "slip" them wine that tastes like soda pop.

OTOH, when I was a young man in San Diego I did enjoy sangria at the First Edition which was a very popular dinner house in Mission Valley because I didn't know how to order wine and the sangria was CHEAP.