PDA

View Full Version : Those that ride tubulars....

MattTuck
06-27-2011, 07:36 PM
do you wear them around your arms/shoulders like the old school racers?

Saw a guy doing that today. Seems like a nice throwback, but maybe uncomfortable?

Joachim
06-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Of course, with my leather strip helmet.... :)

No, under the saddle, tied with a leather strap.

false_Aest
06-27-2011, 07:50 PM
i only do that with my c*ck ring.

Jason E
06-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Maybe he had a flat and the one he pulled off would not go into the bag...

Unless it is some re-enactment, I would say no sir.

Velosmith
06-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Toe strap under the saddle.

Blue Jays
06-27-2011, 10:17 PM
They fold so nicely these days...

thwart
06-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Here's a great pic of a Forumite we don't hear much from lately...

He's got the 'right look' with the tubular over the shoulder and no helmet.

http://www.curtgoodrich.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/douglas-riding.jpg

Don49
06-27-2011, 10:41 PM

And secure enough to ride a pink bike. I like.

sg8357
06-28-2011, 07:06 AM
Toe strap under the saddle.

Wrapped in a Giro issue of La Gazzetta dello Sport.

William
06-28-2011, 07:11 AM

Douglas!!! :cool:

William

oldpotatoe
06-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Of course, with my leather strip helmet.... :)

No, under the saddle, tied with a leather strap.

Must be Campagnolo or Binda, to do it right(I use Campagnolo).

ahumblecycler
06-28-2011, 07:35 AM
He's got the 'right look' ... and no helmet.

How is this the "right look" considering all the threads about accidents, recent professional accidents, and in general setting the correct example? :bike:

oldpotatoe
06-28-2011, 07:49 AM
How is this the "right look" considering all the threads about accidents, recent professional accidents, and in general setting the correct example? :bike:

here we go...........................kinda think he can take care of his noggin anyway he wishes...his head, has no effect on you or any other cyclist around him.....it is NOT his JOB to set any example...nor is it yours.

-still peeved by 'the LBS is screwing me' thread-

flydhest
06-28-2011, 07:51 AM
because Douglas is a very safe rider, who rides in an area that is not densely trafficed, and believes in taking responsibility for his own actions. He is far, far safer a rider without a helmet than the vast majority of forumites I have ridden with if they are wearing helmets.

redir
06-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Seems uncomfortable and unnecessary to me. I use a toe clip strap and put the tire in an old Thomson seat post bag, what else are they good for?

sbparker31
06-28-2011, 09:22 AM
here we go...........................kinda think he can take care of his noggin anyway he wishes...his head, has no effect on you or any other cyclist around him.....it is NOT his JOB to set any example...nor is it yours.

-still peeved by 'the LBS is screwing me' thread-

My LBS hooked me up with this really old Zeus tubular holder thingy -- it screws on the saddle rails, and has these fat rubber bands with a hook on the end that stretch over you folded tubular and holds it securely in place. It is totally awesome. And to make things even sweeter, my LBS guy gave it to me for a song because he said it had been sitting in stock for far too long and no one appreciates stuff like that.

FastVegan
06-28-2011, 09:31 AM
He rides with fenders but no helmet? Cares about getting wet but not brain injury, huh.

Chad Engle
06-28-2011, 09:33 AM
i only do that with my c*ck ring.

POTD!

flydhest
06-28-2011, 09:39 AM
He rides with fenders but no helmet? Cares about getting wet but not brain injury, huh.
he stopped taking showers because he cares about brain injuries. Do you know how many brain injuries come from slipping in the shower? I personally wear my helmet. It protects me and I get to wash out the sweat.

ultraman6970
06-28-2011, 10:09 AM
I can get a few of those if anybody needs them. Back in the day i was using a pedal leather strap, and since saddles were larger than todays it goes almost hidden under the saddle.

My LBS hooked me up with this really old Zeus tubular holder thingy --.

djg
06-28-2011, 11:28 AM
So . . . to sidestep the helmet fracas as widely as possible . . . yeah, I've done it -- the tire over the shoulder thing -- and no, that's not how I generally carry a spare. It works just fine if you need to carry a couple of extra tires, or the strap broke, or you needed to cram a bunch of other stuff under the saddle mid-ride or whatever. It's a whole lot less of a bother than a backpack or water-pack or all sorts of other things folks might do to carry things. But yeah, under the saddle is less of a bother still, and an old binda extra strap under the saddle is the old school solution, and adding a tube sock makes for a sorta '70s ghetto tire bag that's not terrible at keeping grime off the tire (and not great either), and what I actually use is a seat bag that's made to hold a tubular tire plus a mini tool (plus a CO2 thingie or pit stop if I want, and I can cram a cell phone in there too if I want).

Germany_chris
06-28-2011, 12:00 PM
I can get a few of those if anybody needs them. Back in the day i was using a pedal leather strap, and since saddles were larger than todays it goes almost hidden under the saddle.

I'll take one if you can get it, ya know for those rims you sold me :beer:

Really as an adult I simply cannot ride a bike without a helmet, really? I can't believe I made to 35 without a wearing a lid. I've been hit 3 times and walked away each time, no helmet. I've had one accident where I wish I had had a helmet on.

spiderman
06-28-2011, 12:04 PM
...but if i stop at the lbs
to pick up a couple of new tubulars
on my commute home
i will ride with both new tires
in this configuration
just to get them the long way home! :D

Ozz
06-28-2011, 12:04 PM

I miss his "prolixity". :beer:

jamesutiopia
06-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Douglas!!! :cool:

William
Nice brakes

christian
06-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Really as an adult I simple cannot ride a bike without a helmet, really? I can't believe I made to 35 without a wearing a lid.In America, cycling is a sport, and therefore requires helmets and special shoes. It wouldn't do just to ride bikes.

BTW, I religiously wear a helmet - my 84 year-old grandfather died in a bicycling accident. From a broken hip, but still. :)

flydhest
06-28-2011, 12:11 PM
In America, cycling is a sport, and therefore requires helmets and special shoes. It wouldn't do just to ride bikes.

BTW, I religiously wear a helmet - my 84 year-old grandfather died in a bicycling accident. From a broken hip, but still. :)

POTD

fiamme red
06-28-2011, 12:14 PM
I wonder if anyone has tried to make a hairnet helmet out of a folded tubular? ;)

Germany_chris
06-28-2011, 12:17 PM
I'll take one if you can get it, ya know for those rims you sold me :beer:

Really as an adult I simply cannot ride a bike without a helmet, really? I can't believe I made to 35 without a wearing a lid. I've been hit 3 times and walked away each time, no helmet. I've had one accident where I wish I had had a helmet on.

I need to figure out how to turn auto correct off. Every time I look at my posts I feel illiterate.

MattTuck
06-28-2011, 12:26 PM
I need to figure out how to turn auto correct off. Every time I look at my posts I feel illiterate.

I just always figured that German was your first language. :rolleyes:

sorry, had to say it. your literacy is good in my book.

Germany_chris
06-28-2011, 05:17 PM
I just always figured that German was your first language. :rolleyes:

sorry, had to say it. your literacy is good in my book.

Thank you, I'm flattered but I'm American, a DOD Civilian employee working here and like many old soldiers married to a German.

ultraman6970
06-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Sure man. talking about rims, interested in a pair of gold mavic 36???

I'll take one if you can get it, ya know for those rims you sold me :beer: .

gearguywb
06-28-2011, 07:14 PM
How about posting a pic of those Ultra? I have a seat bag that holds a tubular but hate the look....lookis like an overnight bag under the seat.

ultraman6970
06-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Are exactly this ones. Complete with the box.

http://velobase.com/CompImages/SmallParts/F6C43A0C-4709-44B5-AE54-D34A4D64D4CE.jpeg

http://velobase.com/CompImages/SmallParts/400101AC-3C27-4083-AEB4-9E68A254EEF0.jpeg

MattTuck
06-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Thank you, I'm flattered but I'm American, a DOD Civilian employee working here and like many old soldiers married to a German.

I knew you were American, that's why I used the rolling eyes, meant to be sarcastic. I also remember that you're married to a European, and that gives you some unique insights into how europeans view americans mucking up their sport.

Was just trying to give you a hard time!

gearguywb
06-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Are exactly this ones. Complete with the box.

http://velobase.com/CompImages/SmallParts/F6C43A0C-4709-44B5-AE54-D34A4D64D4CE.jpeg

http://velobase.com/CompImages/SmallParts/400101AC-3C27-4083-AEB4-9E68A254EEF0.jpeg

Very cool. I had not seen those before.

sbparker31
06-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Very cool. I had not seen those before.

I have one of those Zeus tubular holders. They work great.

Germany_chris
06-29-2011, 01:46 AM
I knew you were American, that's why I used the rolling eyes, meant to be sarcastic. I also remember that you're married to a European, and that gives you some unique insights into how europeans view americans mucking up their sport.

Was just trying to give you a hard time!

I must have been tired

:beer:

Hopefully team USA can muck up another of their sports..

WickedWheels
06-29-2011, 10:15 PM
I just got the Arundel Tubi bag. Simply awesome. It was a chore getting the tire in there, but it's tight and neat. The bag is narrow enough to fit in between the seat rails.

http://www.arundelbike.com/Tubi.html?p=1.1.2.2

The only way it could be better if it had a strap to get around the post.

NateM
06-30-2011, 12:33 AM
http://www.worldcycling.com/TUFO-TUBULAR-TIRE-BAG-BLACK-BY-JANND/productinfo/TYRMTB/

this one has a velcro post strap

rice rocket
06-30-2011, 12:43 AM
I just got the Arundel Tubi bag. Simply awesome. It was a chore getting the tire in there, but it's tight and neat. The bag is narrow enough to fit in between the seat rails.

The point of the bag is it only has one strap for easy removal. You can tighten the one strap enough so it doesn't flop around. One caveat is that leather wear patch assumes you fit well on your bike. I'm running an ISP, and have the saddle slammed all the way back on the seatpost clamp, which puts the leather patch in the wrong place. I ended up whipping out the sewing it and moving it to where it would contact my seatpost properly.

WickedWheels
06-30-2011, 12:53 AM
I get the one strap concept and for the most part it doesn't flop around because it's squeezed in between my seat rails. I've never been in a situation where undoing an extra velcro strap was a nuisance. It'snot really a big deal. It's just the one small thing that I think would've made this bag better.

I considered the Jandd, but I thought that the Arundel one held its shape better. It has more of a "frame" to the bag. I like that in seat bags (Topeak Aero Wedge, for example).

fogrider
06-30-2011, 01:45 AM
...but if i stop at the lbs
to pick up a couple of new tubulars
on my commute home
i will ride with both new tires
in this configuration
just to get them the long way home! :D
yeah, I did the same at least once. on shorter rides I use only one waterbottle so I carry the spare with a leather strap (with multi-tool) in the second waterbottle cage. I hate anything under the seat...I mean we all spend $$$ on carbon seatpost and lightweight saddles then hang half a pound on the saddle. on longer rides I strap the tire to the frame at the top of the seatstays above the rear brake.

Germany_chris
06-30-2011, 02:56 AM
yeah, I did the same at least once. on shorter rides I use only one waterbottle so I carry the spare with a leather strap (with multi-tool) in the second waterbottle cage. I hate anything under the seat...I mean we all spend $$$ on carbon seatpost and lightweight saddles then hang half a pound on the saddle. on longer rides I strap the tire to the frame at the top of the seatstays above the rear brake.

Because it doesn't weigh a 1/2 pound if put somewhere else... :beer:

paperpants
06-30-2011, 03:47 PM

Is there room to carry anything else in the tubi aside from the tubular, CO2 and mini tool? I've been considering it, but am not convinced an iphone will squeeze in there too... :confused:

fogrider
07-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Because it doesn't weigh a 1/2 pound if put somewhere else... :beer:
there is a difference. I stand and rock the bike when I power up...half a pound at the saddle is feels very different than half a pound down low on the bike. just try riding with the bag in the cage.

WickedWheels
07-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Is there room to carry anything else in the tubi aside from the tubular, CO2 and mini tool? I've been considering it, but am not convinced an iphone will squeeze in there too... :confused:

iPhone definitely will NOT fit in. I was able to just barely squeeze in a 16g CO2 and an inflator. I got a credit card, license and a $20 in there and it was a chore to get it out. The main compartment is so tight you'll never want to put anything in there other than a tire (and may not want to put the original back in after your replace it). I probably could've squeezed in a tiny multi-tool also, but there's a point when you just carry too much.

Check out "wahoo fitness". It may change the way you carry your iPhone.

paperpants
07-01-2011, 11:35 AM
iPhone definitely will NOT fit in. I was able to just barely squeeze in a 16g CO2 and an inflator. I got a credit card, license and a $20 in there and it was a chore to get it out. The main compartment is so tight you'll never want to put anything in there other than a tire (and may not want to put the original back in after your replace it). I probably could've squeezed in a tiny multi-tool also, but there's a point when you just carry too much.

Check out "wahoo fitness". It may change the way you carry your iPhone.

Wow, good thing I asked... I love carrying a bunch of stuff around, I'm probably just spoiled by having a rack on my other bike, I usually drag my DSLR along on most rides to take pictures of barns and stuff, its pretty ridiculous... I guess I'll try out the Jandd tire bag II, sounds like its insanely large (for a seat bag), having space for two tubulars, doesn't look as cool as the tubi though :(

merlincustom1
07-01-2011, 12:25 PM

Does your wife have an opinion of how Ulrich looked in lederhosen?

fiamme red
07-06-2011, 02:33 PM
do you wear them around your arms/shoulders like the old school racers?

Saw a guy doing that today. Seems like a nice throwback, but maybe uncomfortable?http://www.yehudamoon.com/index.php?date=2011-07-06