PDA

View Full Version : Ride Reports!

TimB
06-27-2005, 08:48 AM
Hey, I get to start a Ride Report thread!

Ride reports! It’s been a long time since I’ve managed to sneak in two rides in one weekend, but I finally managed to do it. The 2.5 years since Sophia was born I’ve probably ridden 95% of my miles alone (not counting RAGBRAI, when I was with 10,000 of my closest friends). Sunday’s ride was just 26 miles, I had a boat-load of other tasks to get done at home, so had to be back before lunch.

Saturday's ride was even shorter, though more fulfilling. I hooked up the Burley to my old Performance brand rigid mountain bike. How old? It has a 1-inch steerer and 7-speed STX rapid fire shifters. I filled the back of the Burley with Sophia’s bag (towel, change of clothes, diaper bag, snacks), my gym bag, and the pool toys. Got Sophia inside and away we went. It’s only about 5 miles to the YMCA from our house, half of it along Beach Drive though Rock Creek Park. So, after about 2 miles, just after we’d passed though a stop sign, we get caught by a fairly large group of riders from one of the local teams. Methinks they were from Too Tall’s team, or at least several of the guys were wearing the team kit. So I shift to a slightly taller gear and hang in with them. There were no complaints, no aggressive moves to block us out, and we settled in maybe 2/3 of the way back in the paceline. Then the payoff – one of the guys from behind rides up alongside me (after checking in on Sophia) and says, “I hope we’re not slowing you down too much.” I suppose it could have meant, “Get the 7734 out of the way,” but that’s not how it seemed at all. It was a very welcoming message, and if I dare say, one of respect, that some dude on an old mountain bike towing 60 lbs of trailer and toddler was suddenly okay in their midst.

I suppose the most important thing about this for me was just feeling once again a part of the cycling culture – an insider, if that makes sense – instead of being another road hazard. And it speaks loads to the qualities of the riders on the team - I wouldn't have expected such a congenial reception from any group of fast recreational riders.

We rode with them for about a mile, until we had to turn off to get to the Y. I had a nice heavy weight workout while Sophia was in the babysitting service, then we splashed around a little in the Kiddie Pool before heading for home. Ten miles round trip, but a morning wonderfully spent

csb
06-27-2005, 08:55 AM
sat. solo 70, hill + dale + hill
sun. sore 50, hill + dale

e-RICHIE
06-27-2005, 08:58 AM
this bayonne guy wants to know where
you get this hill/dale stuff in jersey city.

Tom
06-27-2005, 09:00 AM
240 for the week.

Highlights: Getting towed along at 28mph in a group ride Saturday and being able to almost match those pulls. Had the speed, couldn't hold distance (but the guy doing the long pulls had aere bars - that's my story and I'm sticking to it). Riding with Karen for a while after the group part was over.

Sunday, talking a deer across the road on a shorter, wicked hot and dehydrated ride after working midnight to 4. Summer lull, my ***. All the damn machine leases come up in the summer. Anyway, that deer just didn't know what he wanted to do and I had to coax him along. Poor little guy.

This morning: Must ride more intervals. Got out late, had early meeting, pushed the pace on the river loop and was stunned that the same effort got 4-5 more miles an hour. Just like when I ran. The first couple interval sessions were so gratifying, the way the speed jumped up.

If I didn't hate not being able to keep up and being somewhat intimidated by the whole local killer ride scene I'd probably go down and see about learning some more of that kind of speed. I like being able to go quick for a ways.

csb
06-27-2005, 09:03 AM
they are 2 girlfriends of mine...

NW of the GW bridge

davep
06-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Sat - 62ish - computer acting up, went blank three times.

Sun - 41 miles to the start of a charity ride, 62 mile ride, 41 home - 144 for the day

davids
06-27-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm pretty sure I missed a week here. Lots of riding, although nothing too special:

Tuesday, 6/14: Early morning loop, 22 miles at 17.2 mph.

Thursday, 6/16: A slightly longer variation on the flatter version of the morning loop. I feel stronger and stronger as I go. 25 miles at 17.9. :D

Sunday, 6/19: Back home from a short trip to western MA and southern VT. I've got a spiffy new West Hill Shop jersey, but the weather's too cool to wear it. Just over 40 miles with my buddies, all of whom have to get in quickly so they can be pampered for Father's Day. I celebrated mine a week early, since my daughter's at "Grandma Camp" for the week.

Tuesday: Allergies are getting to me. Breathing way too hard, but I decide to do the climbs in the Blue Hills. 22 miles at 16.9, and it feels much harder. :(

Wednesday: A spousal ride. 12 easy miles in an hour. Average speed? 12 mph! As I start a standing sprint up the hill towards our house, I discover that my chain's a little worn. Fortunately, I avoid my toptube as the chain slips...

Thursday: The same loop as last Thursday, taking care not to get out of the saddle. Still feeling short of breath, but I ride better than Tuesday. 24 miles at 17.3 mph.

Saturday: The new chain has quieted my drivetrain down significantly! Who woulda thunk it? My friend and I do a 48 mile loop through the Dover area. My computer died sometime between Thursday and Saturday, but he tells me we averaged 17.7 mph. I believe him - We are well-matched, and tend to keep each other rolling fast. The heat climbs steadily from the mid-70s to the mid-80s during the ride. I retreat to the AC for the rest of the day.

Today: I wake up around 6, so I decide to take advantage of the morning. I ride through the Blue Hills. No computer, which is kind of annoying and kind of freeing, but I sure feel good, and seem to be moving pretty fast. I'm climbing well, too. A good morning, and a good way to start the week!

Spinsistah
06-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Tuesday 42 miles, flat to rolling
Saturday 42 miles, flat, couple of easy climbs
Sunday, 48 miles, hotter than h#ll, 95 degrees w/humidity, rolling

pbbob
06-27-2005, 11:04 AM
sat. 36 miles using a 42x18 on the bwi trail watching the jets takeoff and land.

Bruce K
06-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Monday: 20 mile recovery type ride.

Wednesday: ECV (Essex County Velo) TT - new course (shorter with longer hill) - pr for average speed but not sure it compares

Saturday: Great Mass Getaway/MS 150 day 1 - VERY hot - dehydrated at nile 50, managed to get all 79 done (including 4 from a wrong turn following a pace line who got it wrong too)

Sunday: Great Mass Getaway/MS 150 day 2 - less heat, more humidity. Decent ride, mostly solo, with 2 good runs with pacelines include sharing the load across the dunes into P'town at 18+.

All in all a satisfying week.

BK

Dr. Doofus
06-27-2005, 12:56 PM
doof could give a rat's ***

called rocket 7 monday. they said the shoes would be in the mail by friday.

got sick of going to the friggin gym to use the friggin efx and took three days off

called rocket 7 again today. they said the shoes will be in the mail by thursday.

yeah right.

weisan
06-27-2005, 01:39 PM
DOofUs, why do U have only 1 pair of shoes? @#&@#) :D

Can't you get another low-price-nobrandname-shoe-that-suck-but-at-least-keep-you-on-the-bike?

Here's my heartfelt recommendation...
http://www.nashbar.com/nashbar_photos/medium/NA-SHW.gif :D :p ;) :cool: :banana:

OldDog
06-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Sunday, 38. Hilly, hot and humid! First ride in over a month. Tonight another 25+. It's good to be back on the bike!

Dr. Doofus
06-27-2005, 04:08 PM
Weisan buddy, the food has been on custom shoes since 1990...doof's arches resemble the steppes of central asia...basically, dofo has these long, thin, flat feet that don't work with any stock shoes...well, they can, but after a few days of riding with his cleats 1.5 cm behind the ball of his foot (the best that can be done with *any* stock shoe for this doof) his planter fascia and achilles start going nuts....

doof has never had two pairs of shoes...not at what those puppies cost...fodo rode Lamsons for a long time, and tried to make do with some Carnacs in 2002...which lasted all of two weeks before his pf and ac went...then found R7.

Lesson learned. Second pair of R7s are in the works...so soon doof will be the only guy whose shoes and power tap are probably worth more than the bike he's riding....

put that second pair of r7s with the new orthodics for dofo's regular shoes, and dang...1000 bucks on his friggin feet in one month...and not even a thai-house-of-pleasure-gourmet-toe-suck to show for it....