PDA

View Full Version : Kirk Terraplane on eBay . . .

BumbleBeeDave
06-27-2005, 06:53 AM
Why anyone would buy one, then sell it, I have no idea . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98084&item=7165952792&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Kevin
06-27-2005, 07:00 AM
It is just my size. This could pose a problem. How many bikes are too many? Any ride reports on the Terraplane?

Kevin

Big Dan
06-27-2005, 07:16 AM
In my opinion you can never have enough bikes and guitars........ :D

Must be the inventory coordinator in me....rotate the inventory......

Ginger
06-27-2005, 07:36 AM
Buy it Kevin, Buy it now.

Better yet, have Dave build you one.

dirtdigger88
06-27-2005, 07:38 AM
dude- it has a 56 TT with a 59 ST- thats not your size

Jason

dnovo
06-27-2005, 07:40 AM
"Is there such a thing as too many bikes" the learned barristar asked? Kinda like potato chips, Kevin, there is simply no way you can stop at one.

And the reports of my demise are not true. A. I have just been on trial or in arbitrations for the last 18 months. Still ride, just don't have time to post. B. Yes, I did get my Richie Sachs "Novosawa" (says so on the BB, thanks Rich!) but no, not built yet. C. Yes, I am still a crusty ole pain in the butt, what did you expect?

Dave N. ("It Lives!")

Frank
06-27-2005, 08:02 AM
Why anyone would buy one, then sell it, I have no idea . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98084&item=7165952792&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

has been damaged...looks bent both at the top and bottom ;)

dave thompson
06-27-2005, 10:14 AM
has been damaged...looks bent both at the top and bottom ;)
Frank!

rnhood
06-27-2005, 12:17 PM
There is a simple formula for determining how many bikes one should own. It is "n+1", with 'n' being the number currently owned.

Very nice looking bike by the way. If it fits go for it.

Bradford
06-27-2005, 12:30 PM
There is a simple formula for determining how many bikes one should own. It is "n+1", with 'n' being the number currently owned.

I use a slightly different formula, n-1, with n beng the number of bikes that will push the Mrs. over the edge and get me tossed out of the house. Bikes are good, but I'll have no place to put them if I'm homeless.

Kevin
06-27-2005, 05:58 PM
dude- it has a 56 TT with a 59 ST- thats not your size

Jason

Jason,

Believe it or not, it is my size. I am all legs. I am 6 foot with a 36 1/2" inseam. I just pulled the spec sheet on my Ottrott, it has a 59 st and a 56.5 tt. So I may have to throw my hat in the ring. The problem is I just finished building up the 20th Anniversary Serotta and the wife may realize that there is yet another bike in the stable.

Somebody please save my marriage and out bid me.

Kevin

rnhood
06-27-2005, 06:56 PM
I am surprised you're not on a larger frame with a 36.5" inseam. I am 6'1" with a 35.5" inseam and I ride a 62cm frame. I purchased a 61cm frame about 10 years ago and hated it. Just too small. Maybe it's my long arms, I don't know.

Anyway, that Kirk is certainly unique and looks extremely nice - and will likely end up a bargain for whoever wins the auction.

My advice, keep wearing the pants in your home and stick with the n+1 formula. (that means keep bidding)

Wayne77
06-28-2005, 09:08 PM
One thing to consider - it has a 72.5 SA so the actual TT distance seems longer than it really is. It needs to be "adjusted" to accurately make a reach comparison if the other bike has a different SA. I believe (and somebody please correct me if wrong, I'm going off vague memory here..) that each half degree of SA adds (or subtracts) roughly 6mm to (from) the TT length. So if your current bike has a 73 deg SA, the adjusted Kirk TT length is more like 55.4 mm. If the current bike's SA is 73.5 the adjusted Kirk TT length is closer to 54.8 mm - quite short for a 59cm frame. Some genius on another forum provided one of those cosine-what-the-h*ll?-gee-wiz formulas to calculate it accurately but I think 6mm is pretty close in the larger sizes..

D@mn if that TT was closer to 58 I would have bid on it too. The Terraplane is one of those frames that speak to my soul..

Jason,

Believe it or not, it is my size. I am all legs. I am 6 foot with a 36 1/2" inseam. I just pulled the spec sheet on my Ottrott, it has a 59 st and a 56.5 tt. So I may have to throw my hat in the ring. The problem is I just finished building up the 20th Anniversary Serotta and the wife may realize that there is yet another bike in the stable.

Somebody please save my marriage and out bid me.

Kevin

Serpico
06-28-2005, 09:13 PM
nice looking bike, those pictures don't do it justice

can someone explain the reasoning for the curved stays on the terraplane and dks/hors? I'm sure it relates to ride quality/compliance, but I've never heard the science behind it.

I've noticed a *lot* of companies going with "radially curved seat stays" (Litespeed's term), like Litespeed, Giant, Serotta carbon stays, and others.

thanks

Ginger
06-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Ooo...how many of you are really tall?

There's a 62 out there now......

Tailwinds
06-29-2005, 12:24 PM
You can check out David Kirk's website for more of the reasoning behind the curved seatstays. Look under "what's new." The curved stays provide more comfort and better descending stability. I just ordered one a few weeks ago and am waiting anxiously. Hope to have it by the Giro d'Bozeman. I'll post a ride report when I get it.

dirtdigger88
06-29-2005, 12:33 PM
If daves personal bike was just a bit smaller. . . mrs dirt would probably divorce me. . . someone will get one heck of a bike

Jason

Keith A
06-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Kevin -- This is your destiny. Come now and join the dark side -- you can not resist. Only you can help this machine reach its full potential.
http://www.barrierislandgraphics.com/forum/i/expressions/lightsaber.gif

weisan
06-29-2005, 01:32 PM
And the reports of my demise are not true. A. I have just been on trial or in arbitrations for the last 18 months. Still ride, just don't have time to post.
Busy working for Michael Jackson...and more recently, operating under cover on Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes annulment papers and Transfer of Assets over to Planet Mars.

B. Yes, I did get my Richie Sachs "Novosawa" (says so on the BB, thanks Rich!) but no, not built yet.

Don't forget to thank Master Nagasawa-san too!

C. Yes, I am still a crusty ole pain in the butt, what did you expect?

I expect to have full inheritance rights to all the bikes in your stable after your demise.

Dave N. ("It Lives!")
It's a THING??!! :rolleyes:

Ginger
06-29-2005, 01:36 PM
Here's a link to the 62...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7166582657

weisan
06-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Dave-pal, do you have a "buy-it-now" price just for those "brassy-lookin'-thingy" on the headtube?? :D

dirtdigger88
06-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Bye Bye terraplane- someone got it for the buy it now price- Lucky sob- so was it one of us

Jason

rnhood
06-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Well I'll be darn, I went right to that link and it is already sold. Yep, someone got a beautiful bike, and deal. Dadblastit....it was my size!

Ginger
06-29-2005, 11:03 PM
ebay whiplash