PDA

View Full Version : Summer weight long sleeve jersey

HenryA
06-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Who makes a summer weight long sleeve jersey?

Frankwurst
06-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Cabela's T-shirts. :beer:

CNY rider
06-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Boure has a really nice one.
I admit I am a Boure fan; fair priced, high quality stuff.
I got the white, SPF protection long sleeve summer jersey this spring and I like it a lot.

1happygirl
06-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Wish someone would up for this and tell me how it goes. Been thinking 'bout it for years:
http://www.sunprecautions.com/product/1593K11

Don49
06-26-2011, 07:25 PM
There's also the option of "arm coolers" with a summer weight short sleeve jersey.
http://www.insideoutsports.com/index.aspx?urlname=reviews&item=12

I think I bought mine at a local bike shop.

eddief
06-26-2011, 07:29 PM
http://www.voler.com/products/1240182WHTSML.aspx

any jersey turns into a summer one.

rice rocket
06-26-2011, 07:32 PM
You can also get long sleeve baselayers too that are designed for summer use. Like so:

http://www.craft.se/products.html?tx_mdb_pi1%5Bview%5D=viewLVL3&tx_mdb_pi1%5Blvl1%5D=Craft&tx_mdb_pi1%5Blvl2%5D=Layer%25201&tx_mdb_pi1%5Bpageid%5D=11806&tx_mdb_pi1%5Blvl3%5D=Cool

AngryScientist
06-26-2011, 07:56 PM
You can also get long sleeve baselayers too that are designed for summer use. Like so:

http://www.craft.se/products.html?tx_mdb_pi1%5Bview%5D=viewLVL3&tx_mdb_pi1%5Blvl1%5D=Craft&tx_mdb_pi1%5Blvl2%5D=Layer%25201&tx_mdb_pi1%5Bpageid%5D=11806&tx_mdb_pi1%5Blvl3%5D=Cool

this. craft base layers rock. probably your best, most cost effective option if you're wanting long sleeves that work in warm temps.

rice rocket
06-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Watch out for sizing though. I got a Craft Cool Compression Tee last week, and it's REALLY small. Their mesh baselayer tee was more than adequately large though.... :rolleyes:

Louis
06-26-2011, 11:03 PM
I assume the OP is looking for protection from the sun.

I'm guessing that some of the fabrics listed are not designed for UVA or UVB protection.

Worth checking before spending a bunch on money on several.

rice rocket
06-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Unless you're riding in fishnets, I doubt the UV rating really matters.

Are your jerseys UV rated? None of mine are, but my tan-lines beg to differ. :rolleyes:

Louis
06-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Are your jerseys UV rated? None of mine are, but my tan-lines beg to differ. :rolleyes:

No they aren't rated, but if UV protection is critical then folks ought to know that various fabrics will be all over the place for SPF rating.

Some T-shirts can be as low as SPF 5. I have no idea what a base layer might be. If it's not designed to do a specific job, then, unlike a jersey, it might not be very good at it.

1happygirl
06-27-2011, 05:40 AM
No they aren't rated, but if UV protection is critical then folks ought to know that various fabrics will be all over the place for SPF rating.

Some T-shirts can be as low as SPF 5. I have no idea what a base layer might be. If it's not designed to do a specific job, then, unlike a jersey, it might not be very good at it.
True.The SunPrecautions bike jersey IS rated.

flydhest
06-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Funny thing about jerseys, tan lines, and sun protection. I get tan lines like most people who ride a lot. Last July, we were with my mother-in-law in Colorado. I did a bunch of riding in the mountains. Got tan lines from my bib straps, through the jersey. Kinda scary.

kong79
06-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Look at the Performace Alta long sleeve jersey. This is what it's designed for and has a 30 SPF rating. I got one this spring and like it. I bought mine on sale, but it's only $34 bucks now.

bicycletricycle
06-27-2011, 08:19 AM
santini

Jim Braley
06-27-2011, 09:53 AM
As some others have suggedsted I would consider arm coolers as they keep your arms reasonably cool and they also offer sun protection which is critical. Craft makes fabulous LS base layers which was also suggested--they do fit small but remember they are supposed to fit tight in order to provide maximum benefit. I also have an Elite Craft Jersey (not cheap) that is incredibly light and wide weaved mesh and you could do that with a LS base underneath or the arm coolers.

Vientomas
06-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Boure SPF 35 long sleeve jersey. Last year's model on sale now. Great products, great service, great "local" company to do business with.

FlashUNC
06-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Curious, why do folks prefer the long-sleeve SPF jersey to sunscreen?

Louis
06-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Curious, why do folks prefer the long-sleeve SPF jersey to sunscreen?

I'm not sure what the OP's motivation is, but I hate sunscreen and given a choice I go out of my way to ride after 5 PM. I'll use it if I have to, but avoid it if I can.

HenryA
06-27-2011, 01:53 PM
I'd just as soon avoid sunscreen if I can. Here in Tennessee the summers are really hot and sticky and I'd rather not have to slather up every time I go out. I have years and years of sun exposure and keep a tan year round from riding and various other outdoor pursuits. I think its time to give my arms a break.

The particular prompt is my upcoming Colorado trip where I know I'll be at very high elevation under very bright clear skies. (That and a comment from a doctor friend who told me the reason for the "thin skin" on my forearms was sun damage) So maybe I'll be wearing long sleeves.

Thanks for all the great tips so far.
Keep it coming.

fiamme red
06-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Wear these with a short-sleeve jersey: http://www.voler.com/products/1240182whtsml.aspx. Comfortable in the hottest weather and more versatile than a long-sleeve jersey.

HenryA
06-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Boure SPF 35 long sleeve jersey. Last year's model on sale now. Great products, great service, great "local" company to do business with.

That might be what I want.

Louis
06-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Wear these with a short-sleeve jersey: http://www.voler.com/products/1240182whtsml.aspx. Comfortable in the hottest weather and more versatile than a long-sleeve jersey.

These look like a good option. Too bad they don't offer something more interesting than plain white.

fiamme red
06-27-2011, 04:34 PM
These look like a good option. Too bad they don't offer something more interesting than plain white.I've been very happy with these too:

http://www.kucharikclothing.com/arm-warmers-coolmax-lycra-colors-p-303.html

Louis
06-27-2011, 04:35 PM
I've been very happy with these too:

http://www.kucharikclothing.com/arm-warmers-coolmax-lycra-colors-p-303.html

Even in hot, hot weather?

fiamme red
06-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Even in hot, hot weather?Of course everyone has different tolerances, but for me, they're quite comfortable on hot, humid days.

BurritoGuru
06-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Merino Wool offers uva/uvb protection.
Take your choice from the different manufacturers.
Check your sunscreen on the cosmetic database to see if it is harmful. There are only a handful that aren't too bad.

BobbyJones
06-27-2011, 09:01 PM
A little off topic but may be of help...

I went out this season a few weeks ago wearing a Ibex Wool SS Jersey for the first time.

90 degrees and humid. I was amazed at the wicking and evaporative cooling properties as long as I was moving. I happen to like to wear LS shirts & jerseys for sun protection as well and am looking forward to seeing how a LS wool jersey performs.

4 straight days of 4 to 6 hours of riding with a quick rinse at the end of the day - no stink.

I'm going to slowly convert over to wool for everything.

I do have a teammate who swears by craft base layers as well.

HenryA
07-02-2011, 07:48 PM
I got this one-- http://www.boure.com/8605wh.html -- yesterday and rode in it today. It was 93 degrees and pretty humid and the jersey felt great. Its made from a nice light thin waffle textured fabric, with large deep pockets and longish tail - sort of a classic older style that Boure calls "club cut".

I highly recommend the jersey and the company owner, Drew, was a pleasure to deal with. I'll buy another soon.

flydhest
07-03-2011, 07:32 AM
I agree that Boure is a great company to deal with.

With respect to the arm coolers (funny phrase) they seem to rely on the jersey and shorts being UV protective. Is there a good reason to believe that? Clearly, given tan lines, they do some thing and it is better than going shirtless if you care about sun protection. That said, as I noted earlier, I have got tan lines from my bib straps through a jersey, a fact that makes me wonder about what a jersey does, or doesn't do.

HenryA
07-03-2011, 08:51 AM
I don't buy into all that's claimed about special SPF fabrics. Plain cotton t-shirts block enough sun that I never get a tan through them. I keep a great farmer's tan year round. My wife loves it (not). IMO, any fabric is going to block a lot of the sun and the proof is above. So, I'm not claiming a need for special fabric but I do believe that simply being covered up may be enough. That might be different for very fair skinned or sun sensitive people.

flydhest
07-03-2011, 09:19 AM
I don't buy into all that's claimed about special SPF fabrics. Plain cotton t-shirts block enough sun that I never get a tan through them. I keep a great farmer's tan year round. My wife loves it (not). IMO, any fabric is going to block a lot of the sun and the proof is above. So, I'm not claiming a need for special fabric but I do believe that simply being covered up may be enough. That might be different for very fair skinned or sun sensitive people.

That's an interesting perspective. I am not fair skinned (colored, in Phil Liggett's terminology) and yet I got a tan through a jersey. I get tan lines easily from jerseys and shorts, but to me, all that tan lines mean is that you got more sun where you were exposed, not that you didn't get (potentially harmful amounts of) sun where you were not exposed.

I am curious as to the thought behind cotton t-shirts being "enough" (where, of course, each can have one's own definition of "enough"). I think (but wanted to verify) that it is the existence of tan lines. Is that right?

Ozz
07-03-2011, 10:39 AM
what size do you need?

I have a Pearl Isumi (1994 vintage) for sale:

jerseys for sale (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=958155&postcount=14)

it is an XL...$15 shipped

HenryA
07-03-2011, 01:38 PM
That's an interesting perspective. I am not fair skinned (colored, in Phil Liggett's terminology) and yet I got a tan through a jersey. I get tan lines easily from jerseys and shorts, but to me, all that tan lines mean is that you got more sun where you were exposed, not that you didn't get (potentially harmful amounts of) sun where you were not exposed.

I am curious as to the thought behind cotton t-shirts being "enough" (where, of course, each can have one's own definition of "enough"). I think (but wanted to verify) that it is the existence of tan lines. Is that right?

I don't really know. I think that sun burn is the worst effect from the sun and is to be avoided for sure. (for reasons more than that it hurts). I try very hard to not get sun burned. Next comes long term exposure and the damage it can do. I want to avoid any more of that than I have now.

As to the blocking ability of a cotton t-shirt (or similar) I suppose that I get the impression I have when comparing my forearms to my upper arms after over 50 years of sun exposure. I see a big difference in the skin covering the two areas. So I assume that one having been covered and the other not is in some way connected to the difference in skin condition.

I'm not saying I have no exposure over my shoulders, (had to go look in the mirror) but I'm only very slightly darker there than any other part of my upper body. Just barely. I've seen other guys who wear bibs and show a little bib short strap tan line even though they always wear a shirt/jersey. But again, the difference in my sun damaged skin and what seems to be undamaged skin is pretty visible to me so I'm taking precautions starting now. I'm kinda wishing now that I had covered up more 20-30 years ago. YMMV.