PDA

View Full Version : glens falls to auburn ny

6day_rider
06-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Anyone do this ride? Curious about a route.

BumbleBeeDave
06-26-2011, 06:49 PM
. . . THOSE two locations? That's over 200 miles on Google bike routes . . . :eek:

BBD

christian
06-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Why would cycling 200 miles be out of the question? At worst it's two shorter days.

schwa86
06-26-2011, 08:18 PM
I don't have specific routes for you. I did grow up in Albany, and the most direct route (Rte 20) is definitely not one you would want to use (at least I don't think it is, unless you like busy roads with lots of trucks etc.) There are some really lovely spots in between -- like Lake Otsego/Glimmerglass SP. Are you trying to do as fast as possible?

topher
06-26-2011, 08:51 PM
I have ridden very little in the larger Syracuse area, though have ridden quite a bit in the Glens Falls area as well as the Clinton/Herkimer area - but not enough to help you with the specifics of an East-West route.

I think you have two choices.

1) From Glens Falls ride to the Great Sacandaga, crossing the lake at Northville, heading for Fort Plain. After you've crossed I-90, you'd basically want to go parallel to Route 20 to Auburn, preferably South of Route 20 to avoid larger Syracuse metro area sprawl. I've ridden in the Sacandaga area, and don't always like the quality of the roads/shoulders.

2) Stay North of I-90, cut though the Southern ADK, North shore of Oneida Lake, around North Syracuse, to Weedsport, and then Auburn. You (and every car) don't have a lot of choices for roads in the ADKs, and I don't know how that part of the park is to ride in.

I know people who have fought their way across NY on the Erie Canal Path, but don't like that option, because 1) it is incomplete in the downtown Syracuse area, just where you would want it the most, 2) it means you would head to Utica from Glens Falls, which besides being the home of the Boilermaker 15k and Saranac beer, is not a place I enjoy being in/near 3) the scenery will get really boring.

Just my thoughts! Let us know what you decide!! I have thought a long time about riding across upstate from rochester to the saratoga area, and would love to hear how your trip goes.

Chris

BumbleBeeDave
06-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Why would cycling 200 miles be out of the question? At worst it's two shorter days.

I thought he meant do it in one day. Not my cuppa tea . . .

BBD

6day_rider
06-26-2011, 09:14 PM
I wasn't expecting any turn by turn directions. The Fort Plain idea seems close to what I was thinking. The only thing I know is to avoid Syracuse and going south seems the best deal. This idea is still tentative, but doing it in one day is the plan. I still have to run the numbers on moving vans, car trailers, hitches, and rental cars before making the final decision. Thanks everyone for their input.

parris
06-26-2011, 09:46 PM
If you take 20 just be aware that there are some long climbs west of Waterville all the way to Layfayette. Maybe take 5 for a portion to the trip to avoid some of the hills out that way.

There are only some parts of Utica where you'll need a vest... :rolleyes: Other parts are decent.

GregL
06-26-2011, 09:49 PM
From someone who lives in the greater SYR area, I would suggest staying to the north of I90 through Onondaga County. Staying south means lots of substantial hills in the Route 20 area. From Cazenovia to Skaneateles, the most direct routes average 100 ft. of climbing per mile. If you stay to the north, there are lots of very quiet, flat country roads between Oneida Lake and the city of Syracuse. Once to the northwest of the greater SYR area, there are lots of options for riding to Auburn that will keep you on pleasant rural roads. The Onondaga Cycling Club website has many maps of the area with suggested riding routes. Please feel free to PM me with any questions.

-Greg

majorpat
06-27-2011, 09:30 AM
I concur with staying north of I-90 for the ride. Route 20 is pretty hilly and busy. I've ridden from Baldwinsville to Auburn mnay times via Jordan-Weedsport and Cato-Weedsport and would rather be there than on Rt. 20 via Lafayette-Skaneateles-Auburn. Best fo luck!

Pat

CNY rider
06-27-2011, 10:20 AM
I don't know much about the route north of I-90.
I'm in Otsego County which would be about halfway into your ride if you choose the southern route. All I can tell you is that riding east-west here involves some serious climbing........