PDA

View Full Version : Smiley is one of the top tier fitters

Pete Serotta
06-26-2011, 05:50 PM
I have known him for years and have thought this for years....(even before having red wine with him)

http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=B1849BED-D84B-AA78-A00D66477DDCBDED&page=1

Three great reviews of Smiley skill set as well a K Bedford Custom bike

(and Smiley is a Serotta SICI fitter also)

pete :beer:

rugbysecondrow
06-26-2011, 06:52 PM
We are fortunate to have Smiley here in the DC area. Thanks!

SamIAm
06-26-2011, 07:18 PM
I guess this means I should raise my saddle like he has been telling me. :)

William
06-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Smiley is a good one! The orange crocs had me wondering....but I got over it. ;) ;) :D

William

BumbleBeeDave
06-27-2011, 08:56 AM
. . .has left me in tears several times. :p

BBD

hockeybike
06-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Can't say enough good things about Smiley. Always opinionated, and he genuniely cares about getting you on the right bike and in the right position on it. Still can't get myself to buy a Brooks, though.

flydhest
06-27-2011, 09:55 AM
. . .has left me in tears several times. :p

BBD

left tears in your eyes? I let him drive my new car once. His comment was "this is the way we drive in Cairo." Tears in my eyes and other things in the pants.

A good fitter though.

rounder
06-28-2011, 12:02 AM
I got fit by Smiley before i ordered my K. Bedford. He measured my existing bike and raised my saddle and lowered my stem...it will make you faster. Then he told me to get shorter reach bar, which i did. My existing bike rode better than ever. He constantly measured the same place on my shoe with his plumbbob every time he made a change, so i marked the spot with a Sharpie. When the K. Bedford arrived everything fit great, so now i have two bikes that fit great. After all that i feel that i met a great fitter and a great friend.

Dekonick
06-28-2011, 01:37 PM
He has fit me 3 times. Different bikes, and now finally the Bedford touring rig. Extremely thorough, detail oriented and passionate. There are no corners cut when working with Smiley - it is done properly. Nothing half ass... unless you insist on an ass hatchet! (ass hatchet = typical racing saddle - I much prefer a brooks now, again thanks to Smiley)

A top notch fitter, and heck of a nice guy - how else do you think he got the name Smiley?

:beer:

He can fit you to your riding style. Racer, old fart, in between... he will give you a reality check and put you in the best position for what matters to you.

While $250 may seen like a lot of dough, in the grand scheme of things doesn't it make sense to have an 'independent' eye make sure your bike fits? Your local shop rat might be the best fitter (I doubt it) - but you never know... and that same shop rat might have ulterior motives - like selling that frame in the back room that is taking up inventory...

Not say'n that the Serotta dealerships don't have qualified fitters - they do. I just have seen some horrible (including mine early on) fittings by folks who just 'don't get it.'

How many fitters are also mechanical engineers? Smiley is a rare gem and has not only the Serotta training, but also the knowledge of a mechanical engineer. Who better understands the physics and mechanics involved than someone passionate about the sport who also has those credentials?

A special fitter who has also become a friend.

SoCalSteve
06-28-2011, 01:46 PM
On many occasions, Smiley has commented on my bikes that he has seen in the Gallery. We then spoke on the phone and he made great suggestions for me. No charge for his time, just because he is a great guy!

If I lived near him (I'm 3000 miles away) I would go to him for a fitting. No doubt!

djg
06-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Nuthin' to add but more of the same props you'll hear everywhere else: a good fitter and a good guy, no doubt about it.

Joachim
06-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Wish he would do remote fitting...

tuxbailey
07-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Can't say enough good things about Smiley. Always opinionated, and he genuniely cares about getting you on the right bike and in the right position on it. Still can't get myself to buy a Brooks, though.

+1 on Smiley. He is always willing to help in following up the fit to make sure any issues with the set up is corrected.

You are not alone on the saddle. If my current saddle doesn't work, I just might have to suck it up and get a Brooks.

Ahneida Ride
07-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Smiley tweaked my Legend back in Jan ...
Adjusted my cleats, new stem and butcher my Brooks Ti Saddle ! :eek:

Truly amazing .. I can climb soooo much better. So much more comfort !
I really owe Smiley.

Smiley is a "no brainier".

He was also right about the F3 fork.
(I hate to admit that)

Smiley
07-01-2011, 12:54 PM
He was also right about the F3 fork.
(I hate to admit that)

I wanted Ahnieda Ride to dump that anchor of an F1 for a new F3 and now I finally got my public apology about why it took RideMan so long to make the change :) I wanted RideMan to lighten up that Beast of a Legend Ti and get better handling in the process and I believe he did just that with the swap out and now with an improved fit Dude can now climb :banana:

Dekonick
07-03-2011, 07:14 PM
I wanted Ahnieda Ride to dump that anchor of an F1 for a new F3 and now I finally got my public apology about why it took RideMan so long to make the change :) I wanted RideMan to lighten up that Beast of a Legend Ti and get better handling in the process and I believe he did just that with the swap out and now with an improved fit Dude can now climb :banana:

What? YOU used to have F1's stashed away... "best fork ever..."

:cool:

William
07-06-2011, 07:39 PM

We'll be testing that assertion in a couple of weeks! :p

William

jmeloy
07-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Smiley gave me a hand in ordering a new Bedford a couple of months ago (at paint now). Really helped me by confirming the dimensions and supported Kelly on communications.

djdj
07-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Smiley's a great "fitter" and a joy to work with. I felt immediate improvement -- greater power -- on the bike after one session.

Pete Serotta
07-15-2011, 05:38 AM
Smiley can get you one them thru a one on one he has with SEROTTA.... and it has all new bike status(for it is new) and it is from SEROTTA (via me)

:D PETE

K BEDFORD is also execellent and the TIG is one of my favorites, although I have one of the first lugged ones. Wonderful fit via Smiley and wonderful build via Kelly or Serotta.

Yeah, I have many other favorites, Ellis (Dave Wages) Kirk (David Kirk), Spectrum (Tom Kellogg) and there are more that I just have not had the honor of riding, :bike: :bike: Richard Sachs is wonderful also and I have ridden one.

Spinz
07-15-2011, 06:22 AM
Wow ------- no fitting but I did give Smiley a Brooks spanner wrench one time. If I ever get up to DC I'll take him up on the drink offer. :beer: Lp

1happygirl
07-20-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm saving for a Smiley fit. It's a goal

Smiley
07-24-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm saving for a Smiley fit. It's a goal

no need to save Happy, me du ur fit gratis if u come to DC :banana:

1happygirl
07-26-2011, 01:31 AM
no need to save Happy, me du ur fit gratis if u come to DC :banana:

Wow Smiley U literally Made my Day :hello: Just the idea that you'd offer. WOW JUST WOW

I'll make THAT my goal but only if I cycle there (~2000+miles) & back!

THANKS!