PDA

View Full Version : How to hang wheels inside?

Dave B
06-26-2011, 04:32 PM
In a weird and wonderful twist my wife kicked me and my shop out of the utility closet into the basement with loads more room. So most of everything has been moved and sorted, but now I am curious how to store wheels.

The basement is 95% finished, so while I can find a wall stud, nothing is visible. Any slick ideas other then find hooks to hang form the ceiling, which is easily done, but I would mind it looking cool when all said and done. We are talking about 3 to 4o wheelsets total.

ultraman6970
06-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Back in the day we did something like a triangle in pvc tubes, 2 triangles at each side and then join them in the middle, then use hooks and hook the wheels in there, if you dont want to use hooks in the ceiling.

We did a super large one in metal for bikes.

rugbysecondrow
06-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Build a vertical rack the stand on the floor, think coat rack for wheels. Wood or PVC pipe would be good as they are both paintable.

hainy
06-26-2011, 07:31 PM
I put mine in a wheel bag and just loop them over the end of the garage door rail.

cheers

Hainy

Bob Loblaw
06-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Screw two large eyelets into ceiling studs about 3 feet apart. Then a wooden broom handle slides into the eyelets. The wheels hang from the broom handle.

BL

Louis
06-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Screw two large eyelets into ceiling studs about 3 feet apart. Then a wooden broom handle slides into the eyelets. The wheels hang from the broom handle.

You can improve on this system by adding S hooks with a 90* twist to hang each wheel. That way to get to one in the middle you don't have to take the whole thing down. Also makes it easier to add another wheel - you don't have to mess with the broom handle.

jghall
06-27-2011, 05:36 AM
Dave,
My personal opinion is to buy more frames that the wheels can go on, and not worry about needing a hanger. ;)

godfrey1112000
06-27-2011, 05:59 AM
me too

I put mine in a wheel bag and just loop them over the end of the garage door rail.

cheers

Hainy

Pete Serotta
06-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Dave,
My personal opinion is to buy more frames that the wheels can go on, and not worry about needing a hanger. ;)
:D :D What wonderful logic..... :D :D

Pete

ergott
06-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Dave,

I'll PM you my wife's cell phone number. If you can get that to stick, you get a free wheelset.

:beer:

06-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Dave,

Paid shill.

(Shame on you, Pete.)

Dave B
06-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Sorted it out guys thanks.

SleepyCyclist
06-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Sorted it out guys thanks.

would love to see a pic of your solution.

m

Frankwurst
06-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Dave,

This is the only answer that makes any sense to me. :beer:

Dave B
06-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Ok, space is done minus some items I would like to add. First is the work space, that will be used mostly. Truing wheels, building, cleaning bikes, etc.

If anyone has some Campy or old school bike memorabilia they would like to sell like posters, signs, banners etc let me know please!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/dnjbradley/Home/DSC03414.jpg

Next is storage space for randomness and wheels. The space is also shared with a 6 year old and her toys do take priority!
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/dnjbradley/Home/DSC03415.jpg

This was a great solution to tires. So clincher road and cross tires and one tubular right now. It might be a bit lame, but I thik it looks rad.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/dnjbradley/Home/DSC03416.jpg

Last is wheel section. Dowls on hooks attached to ceiling with simple coated hooks to hold wheels. Easy stuff and not terribly pricey.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/dnjbradley/Home/DSC03417.jpg

SpeedyChix
06-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Nicely done! Is that a Craftsman "drill" CX inflation setup on the shelf? Very nice

kestrel
06-28-2011, 04:55 AM
I bought these ladder hangers from Home Depot or Lowe's, can't remember which.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/serotta/wheelrack.jpg

rustychain
06-28-2011, 06:46 AM
I see a problem here my friend. By displaying all those nice wheels and rims were your wife can see them how are you ever going to get her to understand that you NEED a new set of wheels?

Dave B
06-28-2011, 07:26 AM
I see a problem here my friend. By displaying all those nice wheels and rims were your wife can see them how are you ever going to get her to understand that you NEED a new set of wheels?

You know the funny thing is that my beautiful wife could care less what I have regarding cycling. She doesn't ride at all and could care less about it. She likes IF as she also has gotten to know Joe and Gary made her a one off bag for our wedding. Other then that she remembers E-richie from NAHBS indy as I acted like a 10 year old meeting Justin Bieber.

I could have 10 bikes or 1 and she doesn't care. She just likes it when I ride as I come home happy. She is pretty effing cool.

Oh and I have to keep my legs groomed, if they get scratchy then...well you know.

Gummee
06-28-2011, 07:58 AM
3/4" pipe with some flanges to match.

Cheap. Reusable. Any length you want. etc.

I'll put an inner tube over em to keep scratches down.

I've got 3 of em screwed to the rafters in the garage. Which reminds me... I need to go do a couple more!

M

sbparker31
06-28-2011, 09:25 AM
You can improve on this system by adding S hooks with a 90* twist to hang each wheel. That way to get to one in the middle you don't have to take the whole thing down. Also makes it easier to add another wheel - you don't have to mess with the broom handle.

Dang that's a good idea. I have the broom handle system, and it is indeed a pain when you need to get something from the middle. It is also a pain when you mishandle to broomhandle and all the wheels and tires slide off onto the floor.

kestrel
06-28-2011, 02:14 PM

Your wife must indeed be more observant than my wife. She will, on occasion, get out of her van and say, "Are those new wheels?" or "Is that a new bike?". I simply reply, "Nah, I just cleaned it up or rearranged the bikes/wheels on the hooks." Nothing more is said! :D :D

tuxbailey
06-28-2011, 02:42 PM
You know the funny thing is that my beautiful wife could care less what I have regarding cycling. She doesn't ride at all and could care less about it. She likes IF as she also has gotten to know Joe and Gary made her a one off bag for our wedding. Other then that she remembers E-richie from NAHBS indy as I acted like a 10 year old meeting Justin Bieber.

I could have 10 bikes or 1 and she doesn't care. She just likes it when I ride as I come home happy. She is pretty effing cool.

Oh and I have to keep my legs groomed, if they get scratchy then...well you know.

Awesome. Not to mention she is encouraging you to get a new sport car :)