PDA

View Full Version : The core strengthening thread

CNY rider
06-26-2011, 01:19 PM
This has come up a few times here and there and I think it would be a good thread.
Why I'm interested now: Two months ago I herniated a disc in my back and tore some right hip flexor muscle. These were not cycling related injuries.
I went through the worst pain that I have ever experienced and I am finally fully into recovery.
Physical Therapy was a great help to me. What I found out from the therapist was rather sobering though: While I was aerobically fit, and at my proper weight, my level of muscular fitness was poor. As in, weak and inflexible hamstrings, with poor core muscle strength. When I told him that cycling was my main activity he was not the least bit surprised.
I'm now 41 years old and this is a big wake up call for me. I now spend time every morning and evening doing back flexibility exercises, push-ups and hamstring stretches. I can see a big change for the better so far.

So what are you all doing to build and maintain core strength? Are you just winging it like I was? I hope not because nobody should have to endure that level of pain. I'd like to hear how people are balancing their cycling to maintain overall good muscle strength and fitness.

avalonracing
06-26-2011, 01:30 PM
You will be a better and more balanced athlete as you recover.

I do body weight exercises like pull-ups, push-ups, planks etc. I also use free weights and while I use a decent amount of weight (most with dumbbells) I use a weight that I can effectively control. Stretching is my weak point but I'm getting better about that too.

I mostly lay off the weighted leg exercises in the big riding months as I just need the recovery time if I am riding five or more times a week.

Bob Loblaw
06-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Weight training has lots of side benefits for cyclists, and it doesn't take much to make an enormous difference. If you can find an hour twice a week, that's enough to make a huge difference.

BL

crownjewelwl
06-26-2011, 01:48 PM
really helps your abs and lower back. $10 from amazon.

jscottyk
06-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Kettlebells swings. Endless variety. Awesome workout. Strength, coordination, mobility. Goodness.

Louis
06-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Late last summer I started doing vertical knee raises and back extensions. Over the winter I also did side-planks and a few dumbell lifts, but have stopped doing those now that I'm riding more. I'll pick them up again when the weather gets bad in December.

1) The most important thing (and motivation for doing this) is that my low-back pain that I used to get during long rides is completely gone.

2) I've noticed lots of other little things like improved "stand on one leg" balance, and the beginnings of a six-pack.

Edit: This is a good resource for core-type exercise, and what works well and what doesn't. PDF file from ACE (http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/bestworstabexercises.pdf)

Not the specific hardware I got, but they give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

http://www.homefitnesshq.com/items_images/1237676148RVR-341-big.jpg

http://www.myhousecallmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Back-Extension.jpg

HenryA
06-26-2011, 04:33 PM
I highly suggest this book: "Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance"
from http://www.backfitpro.com/

My back is still a mess but the core muscles that support it are strong and that makes all the difference in the world. Following this program has made a vast difference in my life.

torquer
06-26-2011, 08:03 PM
So what are you all doing to build and maintain core strength?
Pilates.
A herniated disc caused me lower back problems for years untill I finally listened to my wife's advice (she has a dance background, and dancers swear by Pilates). No cure, but flare-ups are much less common, and my recovery is much speedier.
Maybe it even helped my climbing; now I'm just OK, instead of sucking.

Fixed
06-26-2011, 08:17 PM
medicine ball

cheers

Alan
06-27-2011, 06:32 AM
I'd look to the ball and related exercises. When I have had extreme back pain PTs go to the ball after you can do some easy stretching. There are many resources for ball workouts but remember to start slowly and build over several months.

You can get a routine here from Theraband. You can obviously use any brand of ball.

http://www.thera-bandacademy.com/research/resources/locate_resource_byCatValue.asp?cat=product&id=2&valName=Exercise+Ball+%28Pro+Series+SCP%29

If you can someone qualified to evaluate and guide you it may be better.

Good luck.

Alan

BillG
06-27-2011, 06:40 AM
Yoga. Zero back problems since I started doing it three years ago. Quite a few lower back incidents before.

Sheldon4209
06-27-2011, 07:13 AM
Rowing on an indoor rowing machine. Waterrower and Concept are two good examples. The rowing machines with springs for resistance don't work for me. Rowing helps my core, arms, and legs. I also have to stretch.

rugbysecondrow
06-27-2011, 07:14 AM
I agree with what Avalon and other have said, by if you have a physical therapist, have him/her recommend a core workout for now. They know you and your history and can give you the best exercises for your specific issues. That is what I'd did when I herniated two discs two and four years ago. I also went to see Smiley (or any other competent fitter) to ensure that your bike position is good for you.

Cheers

Paul

HenryA
06-27-2011, 07:16 AM
I agree with what Avalon and other have said, by if you have a physical therapist, have him/her recommend a core workout for now. They know you and your history and can give you the best exercises for your specific issues. That is what I'd did when I herniated two discs two and four years ago. I also went to see Smiley (or any other competent fitter) to ensure that your bike position is good for you.

Cheers

Paul

+100

CNY rider
06-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Thanks, many good suggestions.
Yoga/Pilates sounds really good but I need an instructor for that.
We have classes at the local Gym but with work and 3 small kids I need workouts that I can do at home.
I will continue with the exercises my PT has me doing.

avalonracing
06-27-2011, 08:27 AM
We have classes at the local Gym but with work and 3 small kids I need workouts that I can do at home.

There are some good DVDs on the market. My wife is a spin instructor at the local YMCA and she takes classes there but she still uses DVDs at home for yoga and pilates.

sailorboy
06-27-2011, 08:58 AM
For cycling I would recommend static-based exs, namely side and front planks as well as some 'bird dogs'. Since your back is basically static most of the time on the bike, that is tailored to the activity. Also consider something that works on the strength in the upper back specifically since most of us hunch a bit with lots of time on the bike. Your PT would explain this more.

Bottom line is keep it simple. Don't create a menu of a dozen core exs that you think you have to do each time as studies have shown that compliance goes down exponentially after about 4 home exercises that are prescribed.

rugbysecondrow
06-27-2011, 09:10 AM
I would add that the dead lift is a great exercise once you are cleared to do it. It strengthens core, works your hamstrings, it is a great pulling exercise that engages your shoulders and most importantly it trains you to engage your core properly. Being able to properly engage your core and your hips is invaluable. My riding, swimming, running and other activities have all improved after this. The kettle bell swing is is actually a higher tempo dead lift when done correctly, so I would ask your PT about that. I would not start anything without consulting him though.

deechee
06-27-2011, 11:39 AM
I had a slipped disc earlier this year as well, and after I got back to a state where my back was stable, I found this class has helped me a lot. You can try the dvds, or try some exercises on youtube.

http://www.essentrics.com/store.html

BillG
06-27-2011, 11:53 AM

The Rodney Yee DVDs are really good for a gentle but effective core workout.

CNY rider
06-27-2011, 07:12 PM
The Rodney Yee DVDs are really good for a gentle but effective core workout.

Is it something that I could follow with absolutely no prior knowledge of yoga or pilates? Or would I still need some classes to lay the foundation first?

wc1934
06-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Late last summer I started doing vertical knee raises and back extensions. Over the winter I also did side-planks and a few dumbell lifts, but have stopped doing those now that I'm riding more. I'll pick them up again when the weather gets bad in December.

1) The most important thing (and motivation for doing this) is that my low-back pain that I used to get during long rides is completely gone.

2) I've noticed lots of other little things like improved "stand on one leg" balance, and the beginnings of a six-pack.

Edit: This is a good resource for core-type exercise, and what works well and what doesn't. PDF file from ACE (http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/bestworstabexercises.pdf)

Not the specific hardware I got, but they give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

http://www.homefitnesshq.com/items_images/1237676148RVR-341-big.jpg

http://www.myhousecallmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Back-Extension.jpg

Might want to use some caution when performing the first exercise - I overdid it with the leg extensions and pulled the muscle that is connected to my butt bone - For core strength I do situps and gorilla swings.

rugbysecondrow
06-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Might want to use some caution when performing the first exercise - I overdid it with the leg extensions and pulled the muscle that is connected to my butt bone - For core strength I do situps and gorilla swings.

If you are going to do leg extensions, I would just use a pull up bar and hang from the bar and do extensions.

Johny
06-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Glad you feel better. I use stability ball (comes with an instruction DVD) and do simple yoga (simple Gaiam DVD. I don't have an instructor. I've heard yoga instructors actually hurt themselves...).

I have paid more attention to my posture and been more aware of my muscles. Move/exercise my arms/legs/necks/abdomen/back when watching kids play.

BillG
06-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Is it something that I could follow with absolutely no prior knowledge of yoga or pilates? Or would I still need some classes to lay the foundation first?

The Rodney Yee yoga DVDs are pretty basic, and very mellow. They really don't assume any background knowledge. Pilates would probably be ideal, but I don't know about DVDs.

Gummee
06-28-2011, 08:01 AM
You wanna actually have some fun while strengthening your core? Play Underwater Hockey. Has the added benefit of making riding feel easy. After all... riding you can breathe any time you want!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O65rhFquiQ
Look at all that twisting and turning!

M

zennmotion
06-28-2011, 08:24 AM

CNY check your PM-

67-59
06-28-2011, 03:23 PM
CNY Rider-

I'm in the same boat as you -- herniated disc (L5-S1) about two months ago, and finally getting back to near normal. My back muscles were pretty strong because I row in the off-season, but my abs were really weak. My PT currently has me working on my rectus abdominis and obliques with some pretty basic stuff -- like leg lifts while keeping my spine in neutral position. I plan to give Pilates a try once I'm a few more weeks out.

Also, I'd like to reiterate what sailorboy mentioned earlier about keeping a new routine simple. My PT is limiting me to two or three exercises at a time and only plans to add more as the earlier ones get too easy, as the stats show dismal levels of compliance with more than 3 or 4 new exercises.

HenryA
06-28-2011, 08:57 PM
CNY Rider-

I'm in the same boat as you -- herniated disc (L5-S1) about two months ago, and finally getting back to near normal. My back muscles were pretty strong because I row in the off-season, but my abs were really weak. My PT currently has me working on my rectus abdominis and obliques with some pretty basic stuff -- like leg lifts while keeping my spine in neutral position. I plan to give Pilates a try once I'm a few more weeks out.

Also, I'd like to reiterate what sailorboy mentioned earlier about keeping a new routine simple. My PT is limiting me to two or three exercises at a time and only plans to add more as the earlier ones get too easy, as the stats show dismal levels of compliance with more than 3 or 4 new exercises.

This is how to do it. Follow directions carefully and most important - do all the exercises on the schedule you are given. After about a year you will be so much stronger you won't believe it.