PDA

View Full Version : Helping Build..

FixedNotBroken
06-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Okay..

I have always paid other shops to build my bikes for me but I thought it would be a lot of fun if anyone locally in Seattle/surrounding areas would help me build it up! It would be so much fun.

I have a new Cervelo R3 with a Campy Record 11 build..so tools would be needed. I would just love to build my own bike and I would compensate you with cash or cash/beer if you'd like! Let me know as this would be a great learning experience for me.

firerescuefin
06-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Purchase Zinn's book on road bike maintenance (current edition, as it incorporates changes in bike tech)....you'll be glad you did.

thegunner
06-26-2011, 11:39 AM
i <3 doing these things... too bad you're on the wrong coast :(

FixedNotBroken
06-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Dang it.. :( I will purchase the book I just have no tools and id love to learn with someone. I am fine with going to the bike shop but that's $250..and tends to be impersonal since my LBS is not here locally. I don't know any shops here in Seattle.

serpico7
06-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Purchase Zinn's book on road bike maintenance (current edition, as it incorporates changes in bike tech)....you'll be glad you did.+1

That book and some forum threads helped me build a bike from the frame up.

I'd recommend doing as much of it as you can yourself. Use the LBS for any assembly steps that require tools you don't have or want to purchase or skills beyond your reach (not many when it comes to bikes). For example, you may find it's easier/cheaper to just have the LBS cut the fork steerer tube, unless you happen to have a hacksaw with carbide blade or pipecutter.

You will feel much better about building it yourself than watching someone else do most of it while you hand him the tools.

eddief
06-26-2011, 11:51 AM
i did one google search to find this:

http://www.wrightbrotherscycleworks.com/

and this:

http://www.bikeshack.org/

i bet there are many good bike people near you willing to take you up on your offer.

firerescuefin
06-26-2011, 11:51 AM
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&langId=-1&catalogId=10551&productId=1095891&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=datafeed&CAWELAID=859289099

I am a tool snob as well :rolleyes: but recently rode with a friend out of state who brough the above tool kit with him. You have a few Campy specific things you may need to buy, but this has pretty much all you need....and it's compact enough to throw in the back of your car :beer: I was really impressed.

serpico7
06-26-2011, 12:00 PM
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&langId=-1&catalogId=10551&productId=1095891&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=datafeed&CAWELAID=859289099

Yep, that's most of it, plus some Campy specific tools. I'd also add a bike workstand and torque wrenches. If you have bikes and do your own wrenching, you probably already have a workstand. The torque wrenches help as it is easy to overtighten bolts, but if you have a good feel for appropriate torque from other wrenching experience, then you can skip this.

Oh, and your computer with internet connection. If you run into any problems, post here or any other cycling forum you use. There are enough amateur wrenches out there that you will have the answer to your question very quickly.

Another good source besides the Zinn book is the Park Tools website.

BengeBoy
06-26-2011, 12:03 PM
i did one google search to find this:

http://www.wrightbrotherscycleworks.com/

Go by Wright Brothers (in Fremont). Tell them what you are trying to do; I'll bet you can join their co-op, and find another member who would join you for the build for a modest amount of money and/or beer.

AngryScientist
06-26-2011, 12:26 PM
I've got your solution: come over to the east coast. I'll get it together for you, then ride cross country!

Seriously thougy, if you need any specific help, call me anytime.

FixedNotBroken
06-26-2011, 12:49 PM
I've got your solution: come over to the east coast. I'll get it together for you, then ride cross country!

Seriously thougy, if you need any specific help, call me anytime.

Awesome. Send me your contact info. The only thing i'm worried about are the campy press bb30 adapters.

FixedNotBroken
06-26-2011, 01:21 PM
CaptStash lives here in Seattle but I lost his contact info..i'm sure he'd be fun to wrench with and ride with :banana:

Ralph
06-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Do it yourself.....that way you can dial it in just how you want it. Put the brake/shifters just how you like them. Leave some room on the steerer tube to change it again after you ride it awhile. Don't cut the cables too short until after you get the brakes adjusted amd figure out how much slack the bar wrapping takes up, all that stuff. You can always cut them some more later. Run the chain a little on the long side, until you get that figured out. You can always take a couple more links out.

Shops do great work mostly, but I'm way too picky about stuff like this to have anyone else do it.

Get some tools. I can't imagine an avid cyclist that doesn't have most basic tools. You can let a shop cut the steerer tube, but I would leave an extra spacer on top of the stem just to have some adjustability....and you would be clamping it a tad further away from the end....less likely to crush it.

martinrjensen
06-26-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm in Ballard (actually Crown Hill) and would help but I'm going out of town on work on Wednesday. I do have a fair amount of bike tools, some purchased, some home made and before I leave if you think there is anything you need let me know and you can borrow it.
All my bikes are Campy so I'm familiar with them. I don't have 11 though so there are some tools you will need that I definitely don't have. Like the chain too, and most likely the bottom bracket too, though I just bought an Ultra Torque centaur crank set so I will probably have to buy a tool for that also even though i have the standard crank set tool for Campy bottom bracket (square taper). I will be out of town for up to 2 weeks. You can PM me with any questions. I'm just hanging out right now

vqdriver
06-26-2011, 03:36 PM
for the first build i'd have the shop do all the pressing (headset and bb) with their tools. typically the shop will chop the steerer for you when they install the headset, but i think that's easily done at home and it's not something you can do over. other than stuff that requires a bearing press, just put your money into tools. you'll need them countless times in the future anyway. you'd be surprised how much of the build you can do with a good set of allen wrenches and cable cutters.

also for the first build, give yourself extra time and don't rush it. inevitably you'll complete some cabling only to redo it cuz you did it wrong or simply prefer it a different way. there's definitely some trial and error when you first adjust the drivetrain. plan on revisiting the derailleur adjustments and stem positioning after your initial ride, possibly even cable lengths and routing. again, good reasons to invest in the tools.

ultraman6970
06-26-2011, 05:14 PM
The one thing special that u might need to built that is maybe a 25T torxs tool. Besides that, all the other stuff is things that u have already home like regular metric allen tools and i hope you have the tool for the cups (the shimano one works just fine)

Besides that doubt u need anything special, well i'm assuming u have already cable cutters and u know how to do basic stuff.

Good luck :)