PDA

View Full Version : OT: Viewing the last Shuttle launch

staggerwing
06-26-2011, 10:05 AM
I grew up in the Apollo age, and was fascinated by it, but living in Ohio, heading down to see a launch was never in the cards. Going through aerospace engineering, one would have thought that I would have shown a little more interest in going to a Shuttle launch. However, the Challenger disaster happened during one of my Co-Op rotations, and by the time the program restarted, I was headed off in a different direction.

Now, we are upon the last launch of the program, and my 15yo son has shown an interest in seeing it happen. Flights into Orlando aren't too horrible, but I still have to figure out a home base for a few days, and handle the rest of the logistics. Real fear, however, is the possibility of a scrubbed launch. Was thinking about coming back Sunday, to give us a larger window, but most real issues take longer than that to resolve.

So, thoughts? Anyone going? Egg me on?

1happygirl
06-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Please go!!! (& take pix to share with the Serotta Forum)

Have been planning to go with friends for years. We instead went down and took the tour. Something always came up for the times/dates of the launches and in the end it was a good thing because the launches we would have planned around were scrubbed.

Worse thing happens you have a great time with your child!!!!!

GO FOR IT!!!

ps I know you are right, 'cuz my friends and I followed it but if the mission is postponed, unless you have a lot of 'work' time coming (we don't have that much vacation time left), you'll probably have to come back. We had planned for the one in April(or oct one) and I don't think it left till ?May?

Ralph
06-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Also check out prices and availability of flights to the "other" Orlando airport in Sanford, FL. It's a much smaller airport, much easier to get in and out of, plenty of rental cars, much cheaper sometimes, and just a lot easier to deal with. They mostly have domestic flights from smaller towns, but one may work for you. Who knows til you check it out. Allegiant Air and some other smaller lines.

I watch them from my front yard, about 50 miles away.

Germany_chris
06-26-2011, 02:59 PM
I haven't been able to watch a shuttle launch after seeing the challenger blow up as a youngster. It's just one of those things.

RPS
06-26-2011, 04:39 PM
So, thoughts? Anyone going? Egg me on?
Well worth the trip if you get to see it launch; but that’s the real issue – how lucky a person are you? :) I got to see a few shuttles launch from Orlando when I lived there, and also heard a few come in for landing. On one occasion we took the kids to the Cape to watch the takeoff from relatively close up – quite a sight and sound.

Having said that, my personal favorite remains Apollo night launch – nothing has come close to that for me.

If you can afford going back home empty handed in case of delays, I’d go for it. It’s a small part of history you’ll share with your son. If gas wasn’t so expensive I’d consider going down myself and visiting family while in Florida.

bicycletricycle
06-26-2011, 04:50 PM
went down earlier this year for a launch, stayed a week and had to leave,it took another two weeks before the thing finally launched :(

SEABREEZE
06-26-2011, 05:55 PM
The last shuttle blast off, enough EGG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6DzK-Wx4XNI/Tge2_BxUJwI/AAAAAAAAA8I/BHHWXRs7mQY/s512/535384.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-wo7P5t5XejA/Tge3KbxxPLI/AAAAAAAAA8M/STRRjXRENms/s512/535700.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Y0_b4f58dJ0/Tge3aL1sBZI/AAAAAAAAA8Q/acRF0WXhzKU/s512/535385.jpg

staggerwing
06-26-2011, 06:00 PM
went down earlier this year for a launch, stayed a week and had to leave,it took another two weeks before the thing finally launched :(

Yup, that is the fear right there.

Thought about driving, but it is a 15-16hr haul each way from Cincinnati, and I don't have anyone that wants to share the pain with me. With only two, even on short notice, flying makes more sense.

Anyway it is cut, it looks like the minimum hit will be around $1200. I've done the Disney thing a few years back, and not sure there is much additional to light my fire in Central Florida. Of course, I'm open to suggestions.

Did the Cape Canaveral thing at that time too, but to be honest, came away very under impressed. It is managed by some entertainment group, and it shows. All flash, and lacking on the technical front.

gasman
07-01-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm going at the last minute. I'm psyched as I have made several attempts to see a launch and it was always delayed so I missed it.
I do wish I had seen an Apollo launch live.

victoryfactory
07-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Since Alan Shepherd in '61 the USA has had programs to put men in space.
End of an era, no?

gasman
07-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Since Alan Shepherd in '61 the USA has had programs to put men in space.
End of an era, no?
Yea kind of sad. Now we will pay for space to Russia.

sg8357
07-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Yea kind of sad. Now we will pay for space to Russia.

Or Elon Musk, so what if he is a Red Lectroid.

avalonracing
07-01-2011, 02:59 PM
This week the biggest rocket ever launched from the Delmarva (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia) area was sent up. I watched it from my house about 150 or so miles away and took this shot. It looks tiny because I shot it with a super-wideangle lens (11mm) as I had no idea where it would be in the sky. However it looked pretty cool through my good binoculars.

MadRocketSci
07-01-2011, 04:42 PM
i had a summer internship at KSC in the mid 90's and was really fortunate to watch two launches from the stairwell outside mission control (by the VAB). Back then it was about as close as you could get, being near the VIP stands and the fire trucks waiting to go, but the actual visual aspect is not what I really enjoyed - the pad was 3 miles away - the cool part was the sound, the rumble, buffeting, that you could really feel. That and the brightness of the plume are the two things that are not captured on the video feed.

Good viewing is available for about 5000 people on the causeway into the Cape, and I used to drive there at night to see the shuttle on the pad all lit up....

good luck!

Keith A
07-01-2011, 04:42 PM
I've been fortunate enough to see many launches from various locations in our area, but I had a friend in the Air Force who got us up close for a night launch...all I can say is "wow"...that was amazing.

I'm planning on riding my bike up and getting as close as I can for the last one. It's only a 20 mile bike ride from my office.

For all those considering coming, be prepared for a huge crowd and lots of traffic. There are a lot of people coming in town hoping to see the last shuttle go off.

gasman
07-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Or Elon Musk, so what if he is a Red Lectroid.

Neither he nor anyone else in the private sector is even close to getting people uphill into low Earth orbit.

Yes, it is rocket science.

BTW I will fortunate enough to be watching at Banana Creek at the Saturn V exhibit-about 3 miles away from the pad. I'm psyched.
The bus ride back will be 5-7 hours because of the traffic.
Ouch

Louis
07-01-2011, 08:54 PM
The bus ride back will be 5-7 hours because of the traffic.
Ouch

Can't you just sit tight for a few hours (barbecue, Frisbee, etc) until the traffic clears?

bicycletricycle
07-01-2011, 09:03 PM
im going, road trip from RI, hope they launch, have to be back by Tuesday.

gasman
07-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Can't you just sit tight for a few hours (barbecue, Frisbee, etc) until the traffic clears?

I'm on a NASA bus. No choice on times but the prime viewing spot makes it all worthwhile.

Louis
07-01-2011, 09:25 PM
A few years ago I did some work helping analyze some shuttle external tank wind tunnel data, part of the return-to-flight redesign. (See my post here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=19051) )

It will be nice that they had no problems (that I know of) with the structure we were working on.

gasman
07-01-2011, 10:33 PM
A few years ago I did some work helping analyze some shuttle external tank wind tunnel data, part of the return-to-flight redesign. (See my post here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=19051) )

It will be nice that they had no problems (that I know of) with the structure we were working on.

You must have done a good job as there has not been a problem, but they still look for it every flight.

1happygirl
07-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Wow. Guys take camera and photos for us!!!!!!

Thanks