PDA

View Full Version : Angelo Zomegnan leaving the Giro

Polyglot
06-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Apparently Angelo Zomegnan has been pushed out as the Director of the Giro d'Italia. Zomegnan had been the one who put through many of the recent changes in the Giro and was largely responsible for the uptick in international interest in the race over the last few years, including among racers, teams and spectators. Apparently his outspokenness and perceived arrogance within Italy have led to his downfall. I can only hope that his departure does not lead to a return to the boring races of the past...

Fivethumbs
06-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Cycle Sport America deemed this years Giro as one of the most boring in the last 5 or so years.

CunegoFan
06-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Cycle Sport America deemed this years Giro as one of the most boring in the last 5 or so years.

I'll take what is boring for the Giro over what passes for exciting at the Tour every time.

Lovetoclimb
06-25-2011, 01:16 PM
though Contador's dominance this year led to a bit of a lull. Last year was quite a spectacle.

jlwdm
06-25-2011, 07:28 PM
I'll take what is boring for the Giro over what passes for exciting at the Tour every time.

Giro is minor league compared to the tour. Teams are much weaker.

Jeff

CunegoFan
06-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Giro is minor league compared to the tour. Teams are much weaker.
I don't care. The Giro's routes are better. The racing is better. I cannot take any more TdF routes with ten flat stages and three 8% mountain top finish stages.

tele
06-26-2011, 06:58 AM
The Giro's routes are better.
Damn straight!!! Giro always has dirt roads, volcanoes etc... which makes the route much more exciting for me. When riders complain about the routes being too hard it makes me more interested. Even the Vuelta has more exciting stages than Le Tour.

oldpotatoe
06-26-2011, 07:01 AM

Cycle Sport America-that speaks volumes. The Giro is a better, more exciting, more interesting race than the one in france. And it's is Italia afterall..not in smelly cheese land.

rustychain
06-26-2011, 05:40 PM
The most excitement in the TDFarce is who will win come this FALL! The Spanish Cycling Federation, UCI have left the race a mockery. It's also become so formulaic as to be totally lame. I'll take the classics any day. The sad truth is pro cycling has become about as credible as pro wrestling

1centaur
06-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Cycle Sport America is VERY sour on Contador in that issue (in their round up of the star riders for each team, they describe AC thusly: "Distinguishing Feature: Meat-free diet, federation-seducing doe eyes, shifty demeanor").

This is why they thought the Giro was so boring.

I on the other hand thought AC's attacks were some of the most exciting racing I have seen in a few years. Too bad nobody else had great legs or he'd have had to do it a few more times. Seeing a six-time consecutive grand tour winner blow away the pretenders mostly without team help and in a manner he could not accomplish at last year's Tour (where it looked like his powers were waning) was as thrilling as Lance's best moments. I'm bummed about the clenbuterol case and all the doping of almost all the winners for years and years, but within the confines of cycling's current cloudy bubble that was stirring stuff, IMO.

rustychain
06-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Contador was found with a prohibited substance in his blood. This was verified by B samples. The rules are clear that zero tolerance is the threshold. Dispite this and his lack of honor he competed when the Spanish cycling federation discarded the clear rules and facts of the case. He cries and says he will quit if he is judged by the same standards as other banned riders. This travesty is allowed to continue as rules are applied to some riders and not others. How anyone that supports our sport can look the other way is beyond me. Contador is not worth spit. UCI is only slightly more valuable IMO

Jack Brunk
06-26-2011, 10:21 PM
There's always PG-13 viewing if that's what your after.

cmg
06-26-2011, 10:37 PM
this years Giro was one of the best. Watching Contrador climb with such ease. Where were his contenders? Playing at an 8 day race in California..................... UCI should move Tour of California to another part of the calender.

CunegoFan
06-26-2011, 10:50 PM
this years Giro was one of the best. Watching Contrador climb with such ease. Where were his contenders? Playing at an 8 day race in California..................... UCI should move Tour of California to another part of the calender.
According to Versus the ToC is the second most important stage race of the year. Maybe the Giro should move. ;)