PDA

View Full Version : (a little OT) flying to Hawaii, want bike

martinrjensen
06-24-2011, 05:22 PM
So I'm flying to Hawaii from Seattle for work (I know, I tried to get out of it but I couldn't). Looks like Alaska Airlines will let me box up my bike and ship it there without too much hassle or extra cost. 115 linear inches in length? Anybody done this before on Alaska Airlines?

Pete Serotta
06-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Worked fine. Another option is see about renting one (reserve before getting there).which Island and town? Folks have helped in the past

Germany_chris
06-24-2011, 06:02 PM
I was going to say the same thing..the is a decent little shop on the north shore of oahu, the sponsor a team etc. nice guys that do rental..I'll remember the name of the place if it kills me.

Chris

*edit* I think it's Raging Isle if your going into Honolulu then bikewerx (Mililani) is going to be your best bet. There are many shops but few with rentals in my experience.

martinrjensen
06-24-2011, 06:19 PM
I believe it's right by the airport off of hywy 19. It's an Abolone farm and I'm installing a camera security system. When I checked into renting it looked to be at least $60.00 per day for a decent road bike. From what I can see on the Alaska airlines website it looks like my worst case will be about $75.00 for the bike if that.

legacysti888
06-24-2011, 06:22 PM
What size do you ride?

martinrjensen
06-24-2011, 06:31 PM
58cm seat tube, and 57-58cm top tubeWhat size do you ride?

legacysti888
06-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Depending on when you will arrive Oahu, I may be able to hook you up with a bike your size. How long are you planning to stay here?

PM me for details.

SummitAK
06-28-2011, 01:19 AM
AK Air typically charges $50 for a bike case. On a recent flight out of Kona the gate agents had measuring tapes so they could be sure to show us that our cases were large enough to be charged the $75. The AK Air Kona counter is currently staffed by United agents and the Hawaii 70.3 was the week before neither of which helped...

Honolulu may have AK Air personnel around depending on what time of day you are returning.

AK Air seems to have a pretty low cost bike policy compared to most domestic airlines and we are rarely hassled.

maunahaole
06-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Hwy 19 = Kona

martinrjensen
07-01-2011, 01:55 AM
I'm in Kona now. Assembled my bike last night and will ride in to work tomorrow. I am in a rented a house up on the hill that appears to be about a 1500 ft climb, a terribly nasty looking ride.
I'm gonna ride in to work tomorrow. Anyone on the Island, I would love to hear from you.
I am gonna try to be here for a couple weeks, Probably not too hard to do after my first day at work.

Louis
07-01-2011, 02:03 AM
I am gonna try to be here for a couple weeks, Probably not too hard to do after my first day at work.

Why do I get the feeling that that job just might drag on, and on, and on?

You're going to need some more parts ordered from the home office, then they'll ship the wrong ones because somebody accidentally transposed two digits in the part number. When they finally send the right ones you'll discover that it will take at least a few more weeks to do the install properly.

Who know how long it will last ;)

spiderman
07-01-2011, 06:37 AM
planning on being at a conference from 1-9 july...
i'll bring a bike...the kirk may be grounded
if i can't extract the post!

maunahaole
07-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Martin - fyi for riding after work, when the sun goes down, it gets dark here in a hurry. You cannot expect the lingering duskiness like you get in Seattle this time of year. Please don't get caught out after dark without lighting, Kona shuts down early, and there are not a lot of streetlights, etc to light you way or help you to be seen by the drivers there who are not expecting to see you.

SoCalSteve
07-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Why cant I have a job that takes me to Hawaii???.... :confused:

maunahaole
07-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Why cant I have a job that takes me to Hawaii???.... :confused:

They do make movies here time to time. It could happen.

SoCalSteve
07-01-2011, 04:35 PM
They do make movies here time to time. It could happen.

And, its under the jurisdiction of our Union as well. (actually, the Secretary-Treasurer is Hawaiian himself)....But, he has LOTS of relatives who live in Hawaii...understand? :rolleyes:

maunahaole
07-01-2011, 05:42 PM
And, its under the jurisdiction of our Union as well. (actually, the Secretary-Treasurer is Hawaiian himself)....But, he has LOTS of relatives who live in Hawaii...understand? :rolleyes:

Completely. Mokes need high paying jobs too.

martinrjensen
07-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Yea, I knew that going in. My riding is in the daylight. So far it's been pretty good other than the ride home is pretty much up hill going to the house and the hills appear to be nonstop 12% plus grades. I've never seen so many steep hills. Every single road seems to go uphill here. I'm taking a break today, maybe a easy ride later. Hit up a couple bike shops : Bike Works and another one I forget the name off just of the main highway.Martin - fyi for riding after work, when the sun goes down, it gets dark here in a hurry. You cannot expect the lingering duskiness like you get in Seattle this time of year. Please don't get caught out after dark without lighting, Kona shuts down early, and there are not a lot of streetlights, etc to light you way or help you to be seen by the drivers there who are not expecting to see you.

martinrjensen
07-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Actually I am missing 8 out of 25 cameras that I shipped over here a year ago so you are correct. At a minimum it will mean a second trip back over here (Damn!)....the weather is great, just a little more humid than Seattle running around 60% and it's 80 degrees all the time. coming from a very bike friendly city (Seattle), I am being very careful on the roads here. I brought lights and am using them.Why do I get the feeling that that job just might drag on, and on, and on?

You're going to need some more parts ordered from the home office, then they'll ship the wrong ones because somebody accidentally transposed two digits in the part number. When they finally send the right ones you'll discover that it will take at least a few more weeks to do the install properly.

Who know how long it will last ;)