PDA

View Full Version : Mounting fenders on WCS Cross fork

MorganColeman
06-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm consolidating the herd, which means my cross bike will do double duty: commuter and cross racing. It has a Ritchey WCS fork and I need to install fenders on it. Installing p clamps near the drops is a no-brainer, but without the hole drilled in the center of the crown I'm looking at alternative mounting methods. I can zip tie it to the top of the fork, but am I missing any other (more graceful) alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

Morgan

cid499
06-24-2011, 02:30 PM
I don't have any suggestions for a graceful mount for full fenders, but if you don't need a full fender you could use something like the SKS raceblades.

Newer versions of the Easton EC90x/EC70x cross forks also have eyelets and a drilled hole on the backside of the fork crown (and are race-weight).

Not the answer to your question, but there are some options...

I had the same dilemma (with the same fork) and sold it. In fact I sold it on the forums here -- maybe the fork you're using was once mine?

Germany_chris
06-24-2011, 04:06 PM
yup, SKS makes a mount the goes up into the steerer tube..it's used to mount fenders to suspension forks on MTN bikes..My local shop keep them in a bag at the mechanics desk...it has a little spoon that sticks out on the front that mounts the correct fender...I just cut it off with an Exacto and drill the hole and presto fender mount..the best part is it moves up and down so you can get a good fender line.

Chris

MorganColeman
06-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Hey, thanks for the feedback, guys! I'll check out the SKS adapter, but I don't think it will work because the underneath the WCS fork crown, it's totally smooth, there's no slot or hole of any sort. I may have to resort to zip ties or go with another fork, which I'm reluctant to do.

Thanks!

Tim
06-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Zip ties- I mount fenders on my cross bike in the spring to ride on the road, before the roads are clean. I find zip ties are easy and fast when mounting fenders, and they hold just as well as anything else and I've stopped using all the little nuts and bolts that come with the fenders.