PDA

View Full Version : Boulder Intel

SamIAm
06-24-2011, 01:08 PM
My wife and I are going to be in Boulder the last week of July for cycling. We could use some help lining up some routes, restaurants, brew houses, non-cycling activities etc.

It is preferable to be able to start and end each ride from Boulder area, remote starts are complicated due transporting bikes on our rental car.

Mainly, road riding, but we will be bringing 650b bikes with wide tires with minimal tread, so if their is some manageable, interesting off road riding that we could incorporate, all the better.

Ideally, half days of cycling, half for other stuff.

How much time to acclimate to the altitude should we build into our trip plan?

Thanks in advance.

Lovetoclimb
06-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Vecchios bike shop on Pearl.

Also if you've never been, New Belgium Brewery and the associated tour. Do it!

Idris Icabod
06-24-2011, 01:38 PM
I lived in Boulder up until 7 years ago. My favourite restaurant was Q's at the Boulderado hotel.

Cycling routes are plentiful, I'm sure current residents can give you many but the ride up to Ward is nice, not too steep until the last mile in to Ward.

witcombusa
06-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Let me guess....Ellis 650b and a Saluki :banana:

You guys have a GREAT trip! :beer:

SamIAm
06-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Let me guess....Ellis 650b and a Saluki :banana:

You guys have a GREAT trip! :beer:

Ha, how did you know?

cloudguy
06-24-2011, 03:30 PM
My favorite Boulder restaurant is Jax's Fish House.

My favorite ride is Boulder to Lyons to Raymond to Peak-to-Peak Highway to Ward to Boulder. If you're feeling really strong you can ride up to Brainard Lake before the turn off to Ward.

fourflys
06-24-2011, 03:41 PM
hit up OldPotatoe (Vecchio's)... I'm guessing he knows the roads as well as anyone there...

godfrey1112000
06-24-2011, 05:40 PM
hit up OldPotatoe (Vecchio's)... I'm guessing he knows the roads as well as anyone there...

I was there last week, Pete, oldpotatoe, is great bought the styling jersey, there were drinking local beer in the shop after 5pm. he threw in some free stuff with purchase

Pearl street is great, Aji, Brazilian, excellent food

LeftHand Canyon, 17 miles 3500 feet of climbing, then you can go left or right
for great rides or just turn around and scream down the hill,

look at this map and you will have all the fun you want
http://www.bikerpelli.com/Sunrise_Century/course.php

pick up a bike map for the area, boulder city planning office or a bike shop

it is a great place to ride and eat, or if you have a medical problem there are many "bud" shops to cure you

I did my "medical review" and they would not give me a scrip for "slow riding"

Pearl Street on Wednesdays is unbelievable

most places have great prices for happy hour half price food and drinks

have a great time

Louis
06-24-2011, 05:42 PM
I was there last week, Pete, oldpotatoe, is great bought the styling jersey, there were drinking local beer in the shop after 5pm.

And working on bikes at the same time? ;)

godfrey1112000
06-24-2011, 05:44 PM
And working on bikes at the same time? ;)

yes, and told me they only sold "steel bikes, no plastic stuff" I "lmao"

I said I only have Ti between my legs

mgm777
06-24-2011, 11:41 PM
PM me and I will give my two cents.

Boulder based must do rides:
1. Flagstaff - to the stop if you've got strong climbing legs. Otherwise, to the amphitheater turnoff is plenty for some.
2. Sunshine Canyon - similar in elev. gain to Flagstaff, but with fewer cars. Downside is the road shoulder is narrow. Flagstaff has a wider bike lane if that matters.
3. NCAR - very short climb, but pretty scenery along the way. New, wide bike lane.
4. Boulder to Ward via Lee Hill to Left Hand Canyon. Going this way you will avoid Hwy 36, which at this time of year is very crowded with campers, trailers, boats, and SUVs all headed to Rocky Mountain National Park. I don't like riding on hwy 36 at this time of year, but that's just me.
5 Boulder to Jamestown via Old Stage Rd (Or Lee Hill) to James Canyon. Rode that route today for an extended lunch-time ride.
6.Boulder - Lyons -Peak-to-Peak Hwy - Ward - Boulder loop. Beautiful scenary, lots of climbing and descending. Nice.
7. Flat Ride - Boulder - Marshall - El Dorado Canyon - Marshall - Cherryvale - Baseline East - 75th St North - Jay Road West - 63rd South to Valmont West - jump on bike path to go anywhere in Boulder.

EATS
-Jax (Fish..I know sounds weird in CO, but is really good)
-Centro (Central American cuisine)
-Sushi Tora
-Lark Burger
-The Kitchen
-Ripple - Soft Serve Yogurt...new store...very good.
-Smash Burger - for chicken sandwiches
-Snarfs - for veggie sandwiches
-Zolos

Coffee
Amantes - 2 locations - Walnut and North Broadway

As for altitude acclimatization - drink lots of water when you arrive. It's gonna be hot, most likely. If you start to have headaches, drink more water.

Breweries
-Avery (great place to start and finish bike rides) - tucked away hideout kind of place
-Twisted Pine--across the street from Excel Sports
-Boulder Beer
-Southern Sun & Mountain Sun (food + beer)
-Left Hand Brewing - Longmont, CO - founded and owned by a college mate.

Places to Visit in Boulder
-Celestial Seasonings Tea Co - Factory tour
-Boulder Dushanbe Tea House - I really dig this place...great teas
-Vecchio's Bicicletteria - Peter & Company -cool stuff on the walls
-University Bikes - Lots of old bikes and stuff on the walls.
-Experience Pearl Street
-Hang out at Boulder Creek
-Hike/walk a trail at Chataqua Park - Gorgeous
-Drive/Ride up to one of the overlooks on Flagstaff and just enjoy the beautiful scenery
-Explore the amphitheater on Flagstaff
-Hike a trail up to a Flatiron and look up
-Hike Sanitas trail

Have fun. PM me if you want details or more info. Take care

Wilkinson4
06-25-2011, 12:14 AM
If you are bringing 650b bikes, go say hi to Mike Kone at Rene Herse Cycles and he can urn you onto some nice dirt roads around the area.

Also, check these rides out:

http://www.rmccrides.com/brevetpermanents.htm

Maybe reach out to Will Derosset who organizes the red dirt randonne' I have not done it but I hear it is gorgeous.

mIKE

Nags&Ducs
06-25-2011, 12:19 AM

1. Flagstaff - to the stop if you've got strong climbing legs. Otherwise, to the amphitheater turnoff is plenty for some.
2. Sunshine Canyon - similar in elev. gain to Flagstaff, but with fewer cars. Downside is the road shoulder is narrow. Flagstaff has a wider bike lane if that matters.
3. NCAR - very short climb, but pretty scenery along the way. New, wide bike lane.
4. Boulder to Ward via Lee Hill to Left Hand Canyon. Going this way you will avoid Hwy 36, which at this time of year is very crowded with campers, trailers, boats, and SUVs all headed to Rocky Mountain National Park. I don't like riding on hwy 36 at this time of year, but that's just me.
5 Boulder to Jamestown via Old Stage Rd (Or Lee Hill) to James Canyon. Rode that route today for an extended lunch-time ride.
6.Boulder - Lyons -Peak-to-Peak Hwy - Ward - Boulder loop. Beautiful scenary, lots of climbing and descending. Nice.
7. Flat Ride - Boulder - Marshall - El Dorado Canyon - Marshall - Cherryvale - Baseline East - 75th St North - Jay Road West - 63rd South to Valmont West - jump on bike path to go anywhere in Boulder.

EATS
-Sushi Tora
-Lark Burger
-The Kitchen
-Zolos

Coffee

As for altitude acclimatization - drink lots of water when you arrive. It's gonna be hot, most likely. If you start to have headaches, drink more water.

Breweries
-Avery (great place to start and finish bike rides) - tucked away hideout kind of place
-Boulder Beer

-Experience Pearl Street
-Drive/Ride up to one of the overlooks on Flagstaff and just enjoy the beautiful scenery
-Hike Sanitas trail

Great info mgm! Hey OP, look no further for the gouge on Boulder. mgm nailed it.

sandbox1979
06-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Great info mgm! Hey OP, look no further for the gouge on Boulder. mgm nailed it.

Agreed. I'd put the Twisted Pine over Avery, but that's just because I pretty much lived there for 3 years. :beer:

SamIAm
06-25-2011, 05:42 AM

EATS
-Sushi Tora
-Lark Burger
-The Kitchen
-Zolos

Coffee

Breweries
-Boulder Beer

-Experience Pearl Street
-Hike Sanitas trail

Lot of stuff to look through here, thanks very much. Totally forgot about Left Hand, good call there. It's like I have my own travel agent! :)

rockdude
06-25-2011, 07:28 AM
PM me when you get here and if I have some extra time, I will take you on some cool back roads.

chuckred
06-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Frasca or Flagstaff House.

Pricey, but excellent.

Flagstaff house even just for cocktails for the view.

oldpotatoe
06-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Frasca or Flagstaff House.

Pricey, but excellent.

Flagstaff house even just for cocktails for the view.

ya better already have reservations for Frasca or Flagstaff house. Lotsa good eaterys in Boulder that don't cost what a set of SR ERGO levers cost. Jax, Oscar Blues in Longmont or Lyons, Ruebens(great cycling theme, great burgers), Japango for great Japanese, Rio, The Med, RedLion up the canyon, Mateos right next to Vecchio's, BIG ETC...

Great rides up to Ward(watch out for the guy with the sword), Jamestown, Masonville, Carter lake. Some of the rides mentioned up to Peak to Peak are varsity rides..long and LOTS of climbing...if ya got sea level lungs and red blood cells..may be tough(but Amgen is in Longmont)...

Ya might want to bring extra 650b stuff. Even tho there are more bike shops in Boulder than Denver..not many will have 650b stuff(none? I think I have one or 2 tires, maybe tubes)..

gdw
06-25-2011, 10:19 AM
4 Mile Canyon to the Switzerland Trail to Gold Hill back to Boulder by Sunshine or 4 Mile Canyon is a nice combination of dirt and pavement riding. Moderate climbing with great views and perfect for wider 650b tires. Gold Hill is an interesting old mining town and the Gold Hill Inn is an excellent and unique dining experience. It's only open in the evenings and reservations are advisable.
Magnolia Rd is a scenic dirt road to the west of Flagstaff which can be accessed from the Peak to Peak Highway and used to return to Boulder. It's used by some of the elite runners in the area for training and is rolling with exceptional views and very little traffic.