PDA

View Full Version : Rchester Twilight Criterium

hypnos
06-26-2005, 11:43 AM
Had a great time at the Rochester Twilight Criterium last night. Serotta Dan rode hard in the Cat 3 race. The Pro/Am race was a fast two hour crit around a 0.95 mile, nine turn course. The Kodak/Sierra Nevada squad had an excellent showing.... I think there were 6-7 members riding. The SN guys rode very strong the entire race, and several of them led the field for what seemed like most of the last ten laps. From my vantage point, it looked like Hayden Godfrey was in second place at the final turn, but was then passed during the finishing sprint. A real heart breaker. During the last few laps it really seemed like someone on the SN team would podium. This was the first real bike race I've seen in person. What fun!!!

Johny
06-26-2005, 12:31 PM
Jeff,
We were also there for the last 40 minutes (the first real "pro" race for my mom and sons to see; their speed scared my mom...). The Kodak/Sierra Nevada squad did ride very strong, but probably did not have very strong sprinters.

You might consider to go watch the USPRO Championships in Philly. It is more like a road race (156 miles) and also with Dividion I racers. My wife and I had a good time there two years ago.

trashycat
06-27-2005, 06:19 AM
This past weekend in Rochester was amazing. The friday night cocktail hour and dinner was a great way to meet people involved in the race, and a super fun way to hang out with the Kodak Gallery/ Sierra Nevada boys.....Hayden, Dan, Pete, Ben, and Scotti (my favorite). (Dominique and team manager Robin, sat at a different table.)
Race day was hot, humid, and hazy. Racers started around 3:00. As a volunteer I got to stand in the hot sun for five hours helping out and watching the earlier racers, but it was still worth it. Not many spectators out during the early part of the day but after 6pm the breeze started picking up and the temp got more bearable and by the time the pros lined up at 8:15 the crowds were impressive! Watching the pros zoom down streets was awesome. I was impressed with our 'boys' who seemed to be doing a great job keeping the team together towards the front of the race. I don't know much about race tactics but I seriously thought they'd win. Coltavita came in first, but our boys did great. Poor Pete, who already is covered in road rash injuries, hit a speed trap device which was too close in the road, and went flying. He is OK.
The race ended around 10:45 and it was back to the hotel for a shower. The post-race 'Par Tay' at the Blue Cross Arena, was virtually non existent, so we all headed out for our own fun elsewhere.
Overall I thought it was a fabulous weekend for fans, spectators, and racers. I suggest everyone try to go out next year!

Ray
06-27-2005, 06:48 AM
Was it downtown, over in the Park Ave district, near the university?

We had a twilight criterium in West Chester, PA a couple of weeks ago, the weekend after the US Pros in Philly. Cycling fever was still pretty high in the area and the race was really well attended, by both riders and spectators alike. These are really great events. This one was well run, local businesses did well, and a good time was had by all. I watched portions of all of the races. A lot of fairly high level pros were involved in the pro mens race, including Marty Nothstein and a few other familiar names. The course was pretty flat, with two long straightaways and two short connecting sections at each end. The speeds these guys maintain is just astounding. I'd never want to race in one, but criterium racing is a good spectator sport, since the riders come by every couple of minutes or so.

-Ray

Johny
06-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Ray,

It was downtown. More info in http://www.rochestercrit.com/

I have been rooting for Marty Nothstein... I am glad that he has come to race here for the past two years. I think it is good for the sport here. Of course, it is also good to have Kodak to sponsor the Kodak/Sierra Nevada squad; so we can see them racing on Serotta's. :beer:

Ray
06-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Ray,

It was downtown. More info in http://www.rochestercrit.com/

I have been rooting for Marty Nothstein... I am glad that he has come to race here for the past two years. I think it is good for the sport here. Of course, it is also good to have Kodak to sponsor the Kodak/Sierra Nevada squad; so we can see them racing on Serotta's. :beer:
Nice course. Lots more turns than in West Chester - more interesting. I was wondering because it seems like downtown Rochester seems to be a bit of a ghost town at night and on weekends, whereas Park Ave pretty much comes to life then. Good that people showed up downtown. My wife's family all lives in the Rochester area so I know the area a little bit.

-Ray