PDA

View Full Version : Riding in Nags Head, OBX?

tuxbailey
06-24-2011, 10:04 AM
I will be going to Outer Banks next week and I was wondering what area near Nags Heads are good for riding?

I was in the Corolla area last year and i saw a lot of people riding on Rt. 12. I didn't have my bike there last year and I am not making the same mistake this year...

Spinz
06-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Once again ------ you are gonna love the wind. Especially if its blowing out of the NE. Lp

konstantkarma
06-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Hey Tux, I am heading to the southern OBs tomorrow (Buxton). I am leaving the bike at home. I know lots of folks ride Rt. 12, but with all of the vacationers, motor homes etc, and the lack of a real shoulder, I just do not feel safe there. Maybe riding early mornings would be better?

tuxbailey
06-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Hey Tux, I am heading to the southern OBs tomorrow (Buxton). I am leaving the bike at home. I know lots of folks ride Rt. 12, but with all of the vacationers, motor homes etc, and the lack of a real shoulder, I just do not feel safe there. Maybe riding early mornings would be better?

Well, that is the only I would be riding. It gets pretty hot in the afternoon.

djg
06-25-2011, 09:31 AM

Haven't been for a few years, but we used to go to Duck each year, for a bunch of years, and stayed in Nags Head one year for some reason or other, and yeah, I'd say early is much better and basically fine -- you can get some miles in before the heat and traffic. Mid-day, feh. And mid-day on a rental arrival or departure day? Be afraid. But if you pick your time you can ride.

jvp
06-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Go by kitty hawk cycle co. on eckner st. in kitty hawk, Micheal will hook you up w/ a local bike route map. There is a nice ~25 mile loop on it (he will mark it) that heads south from there along the "beach road" (old nc12) which has bike lanes. Then it cuts west across the island via bike lanes and paved trails. Then north along the sound through nice neighborhoods, and some paved pathways. All the way to Southern Shores where it cuts back east then south working back to the beach road. If you head with the wind on the beach road leg, it won't feel too bad going against it on the soundside leg, due to being slightly inland and the houses etc. will help block it.

Lanny R. Levenson
06-27-2011, 07:35 AM
I ride all the time from Duck from Four Seasons heading up to Corolla and the other variation is often south through Southern Shores and along the sound. Once you're north of Sanderling, there is a shoulder of about 2 + feet. Up at Tim Buck II you can ride loops on Lighthouse and Whalehead of 6 miles + per loop. It's another 5 miles to the end of the road in Corolla. I've posted the route south from Duck with the turn at Sea Oats Trail heading over to the Sound and south. Kitty Hawk Cycling is Ok for Shimano and basic repairs. Fat Frogs Cycling is at exit 10B on the connector highway in Virginia about 1:15 away. It's a much better shop for Campy and Sram. Lastly, there is an early morning ride from the Food Lion at Southern Shores departing around 5:30 or 6:00 am in the morning. It's a fast ride and as a rule the distance is about 25 to 30. There are others going further but I don't do the ride because vacation means sleeping in and having several cappuccino/espresso.

rccardr
06-27-2011, 03:30 PM
We just returned from a week in Whalehead (just south of Corolla) and I rode 20 miles on Rt. 12 every day we were there. Generally left around 8:30 (hey, it's VACATION!) and averaged around 19.8 mph. Flat but with a significant headwind some days, mostly out of the south. Drivers were courteous, no honking, no squeezing on the shoulder.

All in all, I felt plenty safe riding on 12. Surface was nice (although my hands seem to fall asleep more there), not too much gravel. LOTS of other people riding & jogging.

tuxbailey
06-27-2011, 03:34 PM
My rear wheel was busted yesterday (broken spoke) while I was trying to enjoy an afternoon ride. It will probably take a while to get it fixed (LBS needs to order Mavic spoke.)

So it looks like it will running or beach cruisers :( Might as well since I have a young kid so realistically I can't really ride that much.

Oh well...

Thank you all for the suggestions. I might visit some of the bike shops recommended to rent a hybrid, etc.

rustychain
06-27-2011, 04:33 PM
12 is not so bad once your south of ..... Oh nevermind, it sucks

And after that you get to clean all the windblown sand that's turning your drivetrain into scrap.

Head west my friend

Lanny R. Levenson
06-28-2011, 09:42 AM
As a follow-up for riding from Duck. Head north on Rt. 12 to the light at Sea Oats Trail. At the next three stop signs make a right turn, then make a left turn at the fourth sign. That will take you to Rt 158. Cross it on Woods Rd and go to stop sign at Kitty Hawk Rd. Make a left and just past the police station is Moore's Rd (with a bike sign). Take that over to the sign for the bike trail and go on that for 300 yards. Then go up the hill and make a right on Bay Shore. You'll ride along the sound (also part of marathon route). Eventually you come to a stop sign and make the right. Stay on that road even though there is a sign for dead end. It will take to to a trail behind the Wright Brother's Memorial. You can then follow the Collington Rd over to the beach road (make right to head down to south Nags Head or left to head back to Duck). The other option is reverse the route and stay to less trafficed roads back to Southern Shores and Duck. This is a great route for days with a SW wind or change over days with all the traffic.

redir
06-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Boring and too windy :hello:

When I go to Duck I bring my track bike.