PDA

View Full Version : Good Riding in OBX?

tuxbailey
06-24-2011, 09:45 AM
I will be going to Outer Banks next week and I was wondering what area near Nags Heads are good for riding?

I was in the Corolla area last year and i saw a lot of people riding on Rt. 12. I didn't have my bike there last year and I am not making the same mistake this year...

Spinz
06-24-2011, 10:10 AM
You gonna love the wind. Lp

rccardr
06-24-2011, 10:11 AM
I've been riding up and down Rt. 12 all week (we stay in Whalehead, just south of Corolla). Lots of headwind (today was the worst) but no hills. Not like our native VA hill rides at all.

South of Nags Head I think there's more traffic, north past Duck always feels a little more laid back to me.

tuxbailey
06-24-2011, 10:23 AM
You gonna love the wind. Lp

Ouch. Maybe treat it as simulated hills.

FlashUNC
06-24-2011, 10:37 AM

There's a reason the Wright Brothers decided on Kitty Hawk -- the sustained and consistent winds.

Beautiful scenery out there, but maybe not the best riding in the world.

rugbysecondrow
06-24-2011, 10:51 AM

THAT NEVER END! (insert evil laugh here)

HenryA
06-24-2011, 01:56 PM
I took my bike there last summer.
Rode once.
I'd never ridden in a super heated sand blast cabinet turned to full power.
That was enough.

zap
06-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Good riding.........no.

I like the wind but it's flat..............then turn off and ride the surf.

Brass nipples turn green.

tuxbailey
06-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Man you guys are scaring me. I guess I will stick with drinking cold alcoholic beverages and the playing on the beach, maybe some running ... :(

fourflys
06-24-2011, 03:12 PM
man, I'd be so skittish of all the idiots driving drunk/distracted.... not sure I'd risk it as the reward isn't really there IMHO...

Spinz
06-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Tux you have to plan accordingly. The wind generally blows form a north north easterly direction but not always. Ride south on 12 to your destination, say the Hatteras Light House and arrange for a ride back. With the wind at your back you will be amazed at the speed you can maintain out there. Then have one to several of those cool vacation beverages back at the crib, and boast to all who will listen regarding the searing speed you maintained at the OBX. :beer: Lp

tuxbailey
06-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Tux you have to plan accordingly. The wind generally blows form a north north easterly direction but not always. Ride south on 12 to your destination, say the Hatteras Light House and arrange for a ride back. With the wind at your back you will be amazed at the speed you can maintain out there. Then have one to several of those cool vacation beverages back at the crib, and boast to all who will listen regarding the searing speed you maintained at the OBX. :beer: Lp

Thanks! I need to check the routes to see if it is worth the hassle :)

haneriali
06-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Worth it! Good conditioning, but I always ride into the wind on the outbound leg. Return will be fast but HOT. Enjoy.