PDA

View Full Version : Wheels "Ritchey PRO DS/OCR"

danpants
06-26-2005, 06:24 AM
I have an opportunity to buy a set of Ritchey PRO DS/OCR wheels. The front wheel has 20 spokes while the rear has 24. The rims are 27mm and 28mm deep in the front and rear, respectively.

I normally ride at moderate speeds, but occasionally I get in with the big boys and find myself in a group of 12 at a speed of 35 mph. I don't need wheel problems at that speed.

Anyone have an oppinion on these wheels.

cs124
06-27-2005, 07:52 AM
I have a set of the Ritchey WCS wheels, same rim as yours but 16/20 spokes. Rear spoke tension was pretty un-even but was soon rectified by the mechanic at my LBS.

As a 140ish climber/rouleur I'm fine with that few spokes, but if you're heavier or in any way rough on your equipment I'd advise caution.

Also... I'm currently waiting for the wheel to be returned to me under warranty with its 3rd (that's right THIRD!) rear hub. Dunno why, but the drive side and freehub bearings keep wearing out rapidly (like less than 200 kilometres for the second one). Surprisingly the front hub spins silently for what seems like forever.

My LBS and the Australian distributor are doing their best but don't seem to be getting any support from Ritchey.

Fixed
06-27-2005, 09:10 AM
I would look at mavic ,campy,shimano or custom wheels.

danpants
06-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the info. Since I am 175 lbs. I think I'll pass on these wheels. I'm looking for a good set of wheels for my Litespeed that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg.

I'm not a racer, but lately I'm riding with guys that do race and at the speeds I'm riding, I want wheels that will not fail. Maybe the Pro's with Ultegra hubs are the better way to go.

Thank

cs124
06-27-2005, 04:08 PM
Maybe the Pro's with Ultegra hubs are the better way to go.
Thank

got some of them too, 28 spokes, love 'em, no trouble at all and cheaper than the ritcheys.

dirtdigger88
06-27-2005, 05:09 PM
OP/Shimano

holding up under my 190lbs just fine

they do just fine in the winter when I weigh 200# too

Jason