PDA

View Full Version : Wood Fender Project Help

stackie
06-25-2005, 10:39 PM
OK,

Not a racer-boy question, but just a solicitation for good ideas for a townie bike with panache.

I've been smitten with lust for Full Wood fenders. So, now I just need to find the perfect bike to build around them. Thinking internal geared hub, probably Shimano, I don't want to spend Rohloff type dollars on hub. Handlebars will be moustache variety. Would like to be able to be able to ride in rain without worrying about the bike, or feeling the need to go into a 30 minute detailing in the garage post ride.

Frame material would have to be steel or Ti. Ti would be great, because I would worry less. I know, steel is fine to get wet if you take care of it, but I know I'd feel less worry about Ti. But, steel is such a bargain.

Disc brakes would be cool, but certainly not necessary.

Thoughts thus far include

1. Vintage Trek 1970's to early 80's. First bike was Trek and always hold a special place in my heart. Restore and love.

2. Vintage other bike, something with panache, i.e. Frejus, etc.

3. New cruiser bike, say Sycip. Too bad Bianchi Milano is not steel.

4. Bargain cross or mountain frame, maybe 29'er (bad tire selection, though) . Say Voodoo or SOMA.

5. Touring frame, Mercians kind of tickle my fancy.

6. That cool new builder who is turning out sweet Ti frames that has not been discovered yet, so his wait list is not a lifetime and prices to reflect. What's his name again?

Any input would be appreciated, including statements as to my complete insanity.

If anyone's neighbor has a 1970's Trek 25" sitting under a tarp in their garage, unridden for the last 26 years, please give me their number.

Thanks,

Jon

Ginger
06-26-2005, 07:14 AM
6. Scott Quiring.

:D

scrooge
06-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Rivendell Saluki. I don't know about your other specs, but it'd look great with wood fenders (and that's what counts, right?)