PDA

View Full Version : Summer Work Out Lull...Bueller, Bueller, Bueller

rugbysecondrow
06-23-2011, 07:09 AM
This time of year I seem to enter a lull with my strength training workouts. I do well in the fall, winter and early spring while I am doing base work, but it seems that as riding and running increases, my strength training not only decreases but becomes inconsistent. Work and personal travel in the summer takes a toll on this as well. Luckily, I typically know it is going to happen, although I just don't know when, I can recognize it faster than I used to. In my younger years, rugby and other sports were very cyclical, so very easy to plan around. It is hard for me as well because my goals are much less defined than before also, I need the riding and outdoor time as much as I need the strength training. My goal is fitness now as opposed to sport specific training. For some people, riding is enough, but I need the strength training. . This change is hard for me to transition mentally from weights and heavy lifting for mass to a more lean and fit approach. Anybody else struggle with this transition from sports?

Anyway, I have gotten back on track last week and this week. I have focused almost exclusively jump-rope warm up with push-ups, pull-ups dips, air squats and simple kettlebell exercises (swing and get-up). I vary my workouts based on various jump rope styles as well as push and pull ups, set and reps, but I have felt really good. When I go with natural-simple body weight exercises like these, I always feel better and I always wonder why I strayed from them. I have never complete quit any of the above, but I just seem to commit less and less and less.

The one consistent has been the jump rope for me, hard for me to learn, but a great workout. My legs feel strong, cardio is good, easy to travel with and use in a hotel room. Buy one and give it a month, you will thank me.

This is a simple plug that if you are in a lull, bored or otherwise looking for something different, try going simple.