PDA

View Full Version : Stealth black stem / post suggestions?

d_douglas
06-23-2011, 03:09 AM
I am looking for an affordable stealthy looking stem and post. The post needs to have 25mm setback.

Thomson certainly meets these credentials re: the stem, but I cannot stand their bent seatpost. Does anyone have suggestions for logoless, low profile stems or seatposts?

Aluminum or possibly carbon if it is not super expensive or flashy.

Does Ritchey make a 4-Axis stem with a black faceplate? How hard is it to remove the decals?

EvanOT
06-23-2011, 03:23 AM
How about 3T?

Germany_chris
06-23-2011, 03:58 AM
3T is my answer too, I have a Doric that I just used acetone and took the paint off..now it's just plain black

d_douglas
06-23-2011, 04:24 AM
Sounds toxxxic.

So, when you remove the decals, does it damage the 'blackness' of the part at all? It seems like it would eat through the finish as well.

Yes, 3T could work. I think Ritchey stems looks great too, but I don't want that silver faceplate!

AngryScientist
06-23-2011, 05:59 AM
deda.

http://tfe.me/image/480_345/ST5822.jpg

Germany_chris
06-23-2011, 06:21 AM
Sounds toxxxic.

So, when you remove the decals, does it damage the 'blackness' of the part at all? It seems like it would eat through the finish as well.

Yes, 3T could work. I think Ritchey stems looks great too, but I don't want that silver faceplate!

It's not a decal it's paint, and not it doesn't mess up the anodizing underneath..same thing with Ritchey stems just paint...

PoppaWheelie
06-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Does this mean you have a certain new black frame/fork to build up??

If so, and it has the typical 31.6 seatpost you might look at the carbon PMP with a black head. Stems are a bit more tricky...I just ordered a Ritchey WCS carbon-wrapped one for mine. Not the lightest, but not too heavy (has black faceplate) and doesn't offend my delicate fashion sensibilities. I'm using a 3T carbon post but it drives me nuts that the graphics run so far down and therefore are partially buried in the frame. I might strip it and re-clearcoat...the 2 bolt adjustment and 25mm setback are nice perfect.

Do tell though...did you make a deal from Austin?

I am looking for an affordable stealthy looking stem and post. The post needs to have 25mm setback.

Thomson certainly meets these credentials re: the stem, but I cannot stand their bent seatpost. Does anyone have suggestions for logoless, low profile stems or seatposts?

Aluminum or possibly carbon if it is not super expensive or flashy.

Does Ritchey make a 4-Axis stem with a black faceplate? How hard is it to remove the decals?

Idris Icabod
06-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Sounds toxxxic.

The LD50 (lethal dose that kills 50%) of acetone is really high, you'd need to drink quite a lot of it to take you down. In fact your body makes acetone routinely in different cellular processes and it is easy to excrete via reduction to make isopropyl alcohol (your wife probably has a bottle of both of these when she fusses with her nails). I'm a researcher at a large pharmaceutical company and I use a lot of acetone as a wash solvent on a daily basis and I am 100% sure this isn't what is going to kill me.

Ryun
06-23-2011, 10:43 AM
I stripped the paint off a couple 3t pro using goof off. Looks great and stealthy

55/Rad
06-23-2011, 10:46 AM
For a photo shoot, I took a Ritchey stem and stripped it of all logos and art. Then sprayed it matte black. Looked great.

DRZRM
06-23-2011, 11:35 AM
What length do you need? I have a 3T team stem that I'm not using for anything.

happycampyer
06-23-2011, 11:48 AM
there's a Moots in the gallery with a debadged 3T stem and bar that looks great:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=83608

Check out the close-up pics on page 2.

Germany_chris
06-23-2011, 11:52 AM
What length do you need? I have a 3T team stem that I'm not using for anything.

and I have said seatpost..you can have for cheap..

aosty
06-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Anyone try removing the painted(?) busybusybusy logos on Shimano Dura-Ace wheels?

I'll give acetone a try tonight.

Jeff N.
06-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Deda Zero-100 stem/seatpost/handlebar, in black.

Grant McLean
06-23-2011, 07:55 PM
I removed the logos from an RS01 post with a little nail-polish remover
and it turned out perfect, nothing left. It's still a bit heavy...

-g

deda.

http://tfe.me/image/480_345/ST5822.jpg

sbparker31
06-23-2011, 08:01 PM
I stripped the paint off a couple 3t pro using goof off. Looks great and stealthy

Goof Off is way more toxic than Acetone. But it does work.

aosty
06-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Anyone try removing the painted(?) busybusybusy logos on Shimano Dura-Ace wheels?

I'll give acetone a try tonight.

It works! It's going to be a long night. :crap: :banana:

Sorry for the minor thread hijack.

Grant McLean
06-24-2011, 10:23 AM
It works! It's going to be a long night. :crap: :banana:

Sorry for the minor thread hijack.

which model d/a wheels? Don't most of them have stickers that peel off?

-g

aosty
06-24-2011, 10:30 AM
which model d/a wheels? Don't most of them have stickers that peel off?

They're WH-7850 TL, the tubeless scandium ones... definitely not easy to peel off decals... more like dry-transfer/printed/painted stuff.