PDA

View Full Version : OT- Flooding in the North

A1CKot
06-22-2011, 07:53 PM
The extreme conditions of North Dakota continue into the summer as water, released from dams in Canada forces the flood gates of Lake Darling to open to prevent over topping. Last I heard, the waters was close to a meter from the top. A mandatory evacuation relocated thousands as rising water threatens down town Minot, ND, and the surrounding area. As the evacuations took place hundreds of civilians and service members volunteered their time to help sure up and try to prevent over topping of the dikes. Buses ran throughout the day carrying Air Force personnel to sand bagging sites. We were pleasantly greeted by a community that kept us hydrated and topped off with energy.

The river is said to reach it peek in the next two day with everyone working to prevent to worst case scenario. The National Guard are also providing a lot of troops and the Air base strongly urging everyone to help.

Just thought I would share a part of my day with all. A little soar and sun burn but it felt good to help out and in the end kept us all going into the extended workday.

Karin Kirk
06-22-2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the report. I was wondering what was causing the flooding in Minot since it's not along the Missouri. But it sounds like the same problem with reservoirs full.

All the rivers are either full or slightly flooding here. But the amazing thing is that it's been that way since mid-May, nonstop. Hard to imagine just how much water that is, So, my apologies to those of you along the Missouri because it's our water that's causing your problems.

We still have a 56-inch deep snowpack up at the ski area, so it's not over yet!

Seeing the drowned homes is really sad - so hang in there to all who are affected.