PDA

View Full Version : RAAM finishing up this weekend

sc53
06-22-2011, 03:37 PM
My brother in law's brother, Randy Mouri, just crossed the Mississippi in this year's RAAM solo race, age group 50-59. He's currently in 4th place in his age group. I've been following the racers' progress on the RAAM site and in one of their video updates, another solo rider, Mark Pattinson, was interviewed while riding in a Serotta jersey! I couldn't see if he was riding a Serotta though. Randy is one of 3 riders dealing creatively with Shermer's Neck. He is resting his head on a styrofoam block taped to his handlebars. The other two guys are wearing backpack/PVC pipe braces with duct tape under their chins. I do not know how they are continuing on with this condition, but apparently these ultra riders do it all the time. Christoph Strasser, an Austrian, is on course to break the RAAM speed record if he makes it through the Appalachians without slowing down too much.

gone
06-22-2011, 06:27 PM
This year is turning out to be quite a race. Strasser is within spitting distance of setting a new record and there is really some dicing going on for 2nd place.

These guys and gals are just flat out amazing and take the word "ultra" to its absolute limits.

jlwdm
06-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Troymac posted about his team on the forum a few weeks ago and they are hanging in there in the 4 man team under 50 category. R4M, Race for a Mission.

Jeff

mschol17
06-22-2011, 09:15 PM
I rode with Randy in the DC Randonneurs. He's a really strong rider, and you'd never know he was over 50 if you met him in person.

sc53
06-22-2011, 09:54 PM
I used to ride with Randy in the 80's when he and I first got into biking (my sister is married to his brother so we've known each other for 30 yrs now). At that time, I could keep up with him riding on the Eastern Shore of MD and in Prince William Forest Park. He since went on to become a triathlete and now ultra endurance cyclist. I'm just a recreational rambler not a randonneur. I am amazed at Randy's courage and perseverance, actually that of all the riders. How they do it I cannot fathom. The lack of sleep combined with the rigors of the road just boggle the mind. I hope to meet his finish in Annapolis but currently that's predicted at 1 in the morning on Sat. and I can't stay up that late! I know, totally lame. :cool:

jlwdm
06-22-2011, 10:45 PM
... I hope to meet his finish in Annapolis but currently that's predicted at 1 in the morning on Sat. and I can't stay up that late! I know, totally lame. :cool:

More than lame. Take a nap. You need to be there.

Jeff

rwsaunders
06-23-2011, 07:44 AM
I was traveling through Oxford, Ohio (on the SW Ohio/Indiana border) yesterday morning and I spotted these signs.

dekindy
06-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Oxford, OH might be a staffed time station.

firerescuefin
06-23-2011, 07:53 AM
I hope to meet his finish in Annapolis but currently that's predicted at 1 in the morning on Sat. and I can't stay up that late! I know, totally lame. :cool:

That's so lame, I don't think I would have posted it :confused: Bro...MAN UP :no: ...drink a Rockstar or RedBull and move on.

dekindy
06-23-2011, 10:46 AM
If I had been attentive I could have seen a large number of participants pass through today in Greensburg, IN, TS40.

sc53
06-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Yes Oxford OH is a time station, as are Blanchester, Chillicothe, Athens OH; on to Ellenboro, Grafton, Keyser WVa; then Cumberland MD; Hancock and Rouzerville PA; Hanover, Mt Airy, Odenton then Annapolis MD. Winner Christoph Strasser will be in Annapolis around 7:30 pm tonight if all continues to go well. Wish these guys (and two gals remaining on the solo ride) well! I will "woman up" as urged and meet Randy either in Annapolis late Sat night, or earlier on the route in western MD or PA on Saturday morning.
The Shermer's neck strategies are just mind-boggling! Imagine riding hundreds, even thousands, of miles without being able to hold your head up. Instead you have to devise a means of propping it up. Jeez, people! or as Lifelover would say, Child please!

Keith A
06-23-2011, 12:34 PM
I've also been following the RAAM closely this year since one of the guys I ride with regularly (Marshall Reeves) is doing his first RAAM and is in the solo over 50 mens category. He was running in the top couple spots for a long time until he pulled a muscle in his quad which has obviously had a huge impact on him. At this point he is just hoping to finish.

firerescuefin
06-23-2011, 12:39 PM
I will "woman up"

:beer:

fiamme red
06-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Strasser is within spitting distance of setting a new record and there is really some dicing going on for 2nd place.The hills of West Virginia took their toll on Strasser's average speed, and Penseyres' record is safe for another year.

jlwdm
06-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Randy Mouri finished 4th in the 50-59.

Marshall Reeves DNF; 560 miles short.

Troymac and Race for a Mission finished 15th in the 4 man team.

Jeff

Keith A
06-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Yes unfortunately our man Marshall didn't finish his first RAAM. He was running in the top three at the beginning, but then he pulled/strained a muscle in his quad. Later on he developed some knee problems which kept him from finishing the last bit, but 2426.20 miles is still a long ways to pedal in 10d 2h 55m.

troymac
06-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Troymac posted about his team on the forum a few weeks ago and they are hanging in there in the 4 man team under 50 category. R4M, Race for a Mission.

Jeff
We finished the race on saturday. ? ? ?T410?- ? Race For a Mission S? 55? 2989.50? 06/25/2011 10:55? 6 d 17 h 26 m ? 18.52? OFCL?
We had an awesome experience I'll post photos in a few days but our website has alot of photos to view right now. http://www.raceforamission.com/
If you followed us thankyou. Our team attended the RAAM finishers banquet tonight and had a wonderful time.

Stafford
06-27-2011, 03:00 PM
These guys are amazing. Congratulations to all of them