PDA

View Full Version : Feedback - Miche Cassette

firerescuefin
06-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Had read some both good and bad feedback on these cassettes. Wanted an 11-29 (My normal cassette is a record 11-25) and spec'd and ordered from http://smartbikeparts.com/ (great experience...talked to them at length on the phone)

Have been out of town and put it and a new KMC SL10 chain on yesterday....I took it out on my normal training ride (lots of rollers with some good climbs) and it worked like a charm. I purposely made some hard changes under power and it didn't miss a beat. Ratios are spaced out a little more (obviously)....but it will serve its purpose. I believe some of the issues that people have complained about were due to not switching the chain out when putting on a new cassette FWIW. Anyhow...thought some of you Campyphiles may be interested.

bumknees
06-22-2011, 02:00 PM
I've been using 10s Miche cassettes with absolutely no issues -- nice and cheap

Germany_chris
06-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Miche cassettes agre great especially since they're individual cogs..

RonW87
06-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Also no problems to report with my Miche cassette. I think they are a bit heavier than Veloce, though.

R.

Dekonick
06-22-2011, 03:02 PM
always wondered about miche cassette's

cody.wms
06-22-2011, 03:35 PM

The Veloce 10sp cassettes are also individual cogs, FWIW.

firerescuefin
06-22-2011, 05:58 PM

I think Chris is referring that you can buy each individual cog and customize/build custom cassettes. I ordered a 13-29...then purchased a few other individual cogs.

palincss
06-22-2011, 06:08 PM
So, what did you end up creating?

AngryScientist
06-22-2011, 06:09 PM
i'll be the outlier here, i had terrible luck with a miche cassette. simply wouldnt shift right, swapped it out for a veloce, and shifting was perfect instantly. i personally always thought that cassette was shipped with the wrong spacer pack, that's the only thing i can think of that would have made the shifting that bad.

firerescuefin
06-22-2011, 06:29 PM
So, what did you end up creating?

13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23, 26, 29 is the standard.

I went with an 11 first ring and 13 second ring (lost the 14) and kept the rest the same.

FGC
06-22-2011, 06:34 PM
I had one Miche cassette. It was a piece of junk. I broke at least 10 different teeth off of the cogs. I guess it shifted OK, because I didn't notice it until a pile of teeth were missing. I have never seen anything like it before.

Birddog
06-22-2011, 06:35 PM
The metal used for the Miche cassettes is of questionable quality. I've had two 1st position cogs break around their circumference (not teeth). This allows the cassette to spin freely as the lock ring has nothing to hold, not something you want. Both broke after a couple thousand miles. I have yet another that I use for special purposes, but I cross my fingers every time. I had no problem with them shifting although they are a little noisy. If the Veloce sizes suit your needs, they are a much better option IMO.

wasfast
06-22-2011, 06:45 PM
I also had teeth break off in the middle of the cassette. With the low price of Veloce cassettes, there's not reason to buy the Miche POS. I must own 6 Veloce cassettes of various ranges and they work very well.

oldpotatoe
06-22-2011, 06:49 PM
The metal used for the Miche cassettes is of questionable quality. I've had two 1st position cogs break around their circumference (not teeth). This allows the cassette to spin freely as the lock ring has nothing to hold, not something you want. Both broke after a couple thousand miles. I have yet another that I use for special purposes, but I cross my fingers every time. I had no problem with them shifting although they are a little noisy. If the Veloce sizes suit your needs, they are a much better option IMO.

We bought 5, all had cogs that weren't 'centered', as in the center hole wasn't in the center so they went up and down when rotated..plus they shifted like crap. Maybe they have gotten better but I won't be buyin' them again.

Campagnolo---

firerescuefin
06-22-2011, 07:41 PM
We bought 5, all had cogs that weren't 'centered', as in the center hole wasn't in the center so they went up and down when rotated..plus they shifted like crap. Maybe they have gotten better but I won't be buyin' them again.

I spoke to the guys at smartbike about these issues before I purchased them. They said those issues had been solved.....and mentioned their issues of returns had gone down considerably, which is why they have stuck with the line.... and that if I had issues, they would refund/replace. I certainly did not notice anything upon installation or first ride, but will be towing 2 rugrats up both sides of Vail pass this weekend, so they'll be tested by fire. I'll throw the Chainwhip and cassette removal tool + a spare cassette in the back of the Chariot just in case....fortunately you could pack for a short vacation in the rear compartment.

I love Campy, but a 13-29 doesn't work for me (optimally)....anyway, more to come.

rpettet
06-22-2011, 07:50 PM
One word, HEAVY

firerescuefin
06-22-2011, 07:56 PM
One word, HEAVY

Chorus 232

Centaur - 248

Veloce -349

Miche -265

......hmmmm.

Birddog
06-22-2011, 09:07 PM
A couple of points.
1st, Vail Pass huh, that's where mine broke, right at Copper Mtn during the Triple Bypass a few years back.

2nd I think the weight posted for the Miche is for the Alloy variety, the steel ones are boat anchors.

beungood
06-24-2011, 12:13 PM
What's wrong with the 13/29? Ive been intrested in picking one up. Arent the ratios close to the 13/26 with the exception of the granny gears?

I spoke to the guys at smartbike about these issues before I purchased them. They said those issues had been solved.....and mentioned their issues of returns had gone down considerably, which is why they have stuck with the line.... and that if I had issues, they would refund/replace. I certainly did not notice anything upon installation or first ride, but will be towing 2 rugrats up both sides of Vail pass this weekend, so they'll be tested by fire. I'll throw the Chainwhip and cassette removal tool + a spare cassette in the back of the Chariot just in case....fortunately you could pack for a short vacation in the rear compartment.

I love Campy, but a 13-29 doesn't work for me (optimally)....anyway, more to come.

firerescuefin
06-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Nothing wrong with an 13-29...I wanted a little more gear for decents hence the 11-29

FWIW...went from vail to frisco....back to vail with a 2 man Chariot today ...no issues, shifted great.

Birddog
06-24-2011, 07:49 PM
...no issues, shifted great.
So did mine............. till it broke (twice).

firerescuefin
06-24-2011, 10:08 PM
So did mine............. till it broke (twice).

Bro...got it. It broke. Sucks that it happened on tbp. When someone else gives me the option to custom make a cassette, I'll jump on the bandwagon and give it a shot. Hyundais used to be POS. If Miche continues to turn out ????ty products, no one will buy them. I have broken 2 dura ace rear levers...???? happens.

ultraman6970
06-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Wonder how the primato works. They have the regular ones and the primato's

firerescuefin
06-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Ultraman.....I am riding the Primato FWIW