PDA

View Full Version : Still speculating on the new model

scooter01
06-25-2005, 04:22 PM
I did a ride this weekend the Blood Sweat and Gears in NC, it was tough.
Anyway we received a flyer from Pinerello Frames- They claim their
Magnesium frame to be superior to anything else on the market.

All I know about magnesium is that it can corrode. According to this flyer it’s lighter than titanium. (I bet it’s not as strong though)
Could this be the material for the new frame coming soon at the DFN?

saab2000
06-25-2005, 04:59 PM
Most aluminum bikes are lighter and stiffer than most Ti bikes. The magnesium Pinarellos are very spendy I think.

I would like to try a Merckx Premium.

I remember around 1987 someone came out with some wierd magnesium frames. I almost want to say the name was Kirk, though I am not sure of any relation to the Mr. Kirk who hangs here.

Kirk Precision????

David Kirk
06-25-2005, 05:56 PM
No relation.

Dave

Ti Designs
06-25-2005, 06:28 PM
I remember around 1987 someone came out with some wierd magnesium frames. I almost want to say the name was Kirk, though I am not sure of any relation to the Mr. Kirk who hangs here.

Yup, cast magnesium frames, kinda looked like an I beam, kinda rode like one too. Their claim to fame was that they were indestructable, their achilles heel was in the steel inserts for threading for the bottom bracket and rear derailleur tab that didn't stay in.

In modern magnesium there are tubes out that make some interesting claims, but corrosion is clearly the big concern. When I was over at Independent Fabrications I saw a bonded Ti/Mag frame, but they were still unclear about what to do to protect the metal.

jpw
06-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Magnesium. Isn't it brittle?

shinomaster
06-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Will make an all carbon frame a la c40 style with carbon lugs and colorado concept carbon (from N.Y.) tubing.

LegendRider
06-26-2005, 02:40 PM
My LBS had a magnesium Pinarello Dogma frameset in stock. I was unimpressed. It appeared to have all of the disadvantages of aluminum (I'm speculating it rode harshly judging by the size if the tubes) with none of the benefits (it was pricey). Could be a wonderdul bike, but, if so, magnesium must have some magical properties. The frame certainly wasn't light either...

oracle
06-26-2005, 03:30 PM
unimpressed? go ride one. not light? it is a virtual feather when you consider that it is as stiff as a 2.5 kg steel frame. not uncomfortable, and you can smoke the tires off the line...

oracle

Spinsistah
06-26-2005, 03:38 PM
The Dogma is a great frame - Jim, Mr. Metro, rides one and loves it. It's fast and light, also very comfortable. Takes off like a rocket. Sure, it can corrode, but are you really going to neglect a $4300 frame? If so, you don't deserve the bike. Any bike you ride needs care when it gets really wet because your bottom bracket will rust even if the frame doesn't.

dirtdigger88
06-26-2005, 06:17 PM
:banana:

Jason

Bill Bove
06-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Other than an old Alan made Geurciotti three carbon tubed bike I have never ridden a carbon bike more than a quick spin around the parking lot, still if Serotta were to come out with a Parlee style carbon bike I think I'd order one with out ever riding it. Sounds dumb but I think I'd do it anyway. Save me some money Ben!

Miranda
06-26-2005, 10:46 PM
If I remember correctly American Bicycle Company out of St. Cloud, MN marketed a Magnesium roadframe in the early 90's. Isn't Magnesium very toxic to work with? Big tubed polished aluminum road and mountain frames were their specialty. I had a few friends who raced them years ago and I don't think they are in business anymore.

jpw
06-29-2005, 09:12 AM
Scandium is toxic, and breathing is 'not recommended' when working it.
Not sure about magnesium. Probably also life shortening, both as a substance and as a bicycle frame. Steel and Ti are 'predictable'; the rest somewhat less so. Why take a risk with carbon? The attraction for manufactureres is the increased margin of profit.

cosmonaut
06-30-2005, 08:28 AM
If the magnesium used to make the tubes contains beryllium, it is extremely toxic. Magnesium is normally used as an alloying agent for aluminum, and the metals possess similar properties.