PDA

View Full Version : trivial pursuit: two ended gear cable. which end is shimano?

eddief
06-21-2011, 06:34 PM
looking through a bunch of old stuff today and found some two ended derailleur shift cables. each cable has a small cylinder on each end, one cylinder a bit bigger than the other. which one is for shimano and which one is for campy?

gdw
06-21-2011, 06:40 PM
The larger one is Shimano.

dave thompson
06-21-2011, 06:43 PM
The large end. Sometimes there is an "S" embossed in that end.

I hate double-ended cables!

eddief
06-21-2011, 06:58 PM
in a thread last week i mentioned issues i was having with rear shifting on my 9 speed cassette with ultegra 9 shifters. i disassembled things today and thought maybe the cable end at the shifter was not seated. without knowing the answer to the above question, i removed the old cable and replaced it with a new one using the small end seated in the shifter and cutting off the big end.

i think that fixed the issue with not being able to get the the chain to stop on the next to the smallest cog when coming down the cassette from the top. so now, i think i am using the campy end in the shimano shifter...and i think that is working.

will test drive on the road tomorrow. hmmm.

ultraman6970
06-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Doubt u will have a problem if you put the other side, if the other side is campagnolo. Campagnolo heads for the derailleurs are thinner, besides fitting really well because not it has like 1 mm clearance, once tension is applied it should not be a problem.