PDA

View Full Version : Subjective Rim Question - Best rim for 24/28 holes?

hokoman
06-21-2011, 04:25 PM
I have some King hubs that have been sitting in my drawer forever. I think it's time to finally get them built... what is the preferred rim of choice these days? I'm 160lbs, a short stocky crit guy, and I don't have desire to break the bank for Enve.

A23 from Velocity?
RR585 from DT?

Thanks for your input. PM sent to ergott/rejected for a build. Clinchers desired and also looking for a builder. I have built mtn bike wheels before, but road wheels scare me.

Tommasini53
06-21-2011, 07:47 PM
I've been riding on a pair of 28h DT rims (Campy hubs, DT spokes). Very nice rims and have held up well on gravel roads.

thegunner
06-21-2011, 07:56 PM
loved the hed belgiums when i had em!

DRZRM
06-21-2011, 08:32 PM
loved the hed belgiums when i had em!

+1, I have two sets of wheels built on HED Belgiums (though they are 32 holes laced to Record) but I'll rebuild my 28 hole DT Swiss hubs with them when it is necessary.

mschol17
06-21-2011, 09:52 PM
I think the HEDs are generally viewed as better than the A23s. They're more expensive too.

Germany_chris
06-22-2011, 04:13 AM
I have some King hubs that have been sitting in my drawer forever. I think it's time to finally get them built... what is the preferred rim of choice these days? I'm 160lbs, a short stocky crit guy, and I don't have desire to break the bank for Enve.

A23 from Velocity?
RR585 from DT?

Thanks for your input. PM sent to ergott/rejected for a build. Clinchers desired and also looking for a builder. I have built mtn bike wheels before, but road wheels scare me.

I'm trying to imagine how short you are to have 160# be considered "stocky"

Really I duuno about 24/28 rims as I'm stocky and have a 32 set and a 36 set

Desert Fox
06-22-2011, 05:03 AM

A23 from Velocity?
RR585 from DT?

I'm the same weight and run Kinlin XR270s 24 front, 28 back. You could also go XR300, slightly more aero and robust. Built up beautifully by Charles Wells from Bill Holland's shop outside San Diego, contact him at address below, he's great to talk to.

3735 Kenora Drive
Spring Valley, CA 91977
(619) 469-1772
billhollandcycles@gmail.com

ultraman6970
06-22-2011, 06:53 AM
Back in the day this was a tricky question, now a days there is several brands available.

Velocity rims are super good, kinlins too. Then u have to jump to mavic and other expensive brands.

Just pick good spokes tho.

Good luck.

R2D2
06-22-2011, 07:05 AM
If you are a Crit guy I would think you'd be riding tubulars. At least in races with the frequent accelerations.
Training wheels are a different animal.
But it's your ride/wheels so whatever you prefer.

rockdude
06-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Knock on Wood, I have been using Kinlin XR270s for cross and trail riding and they have been one of the toughest wheels I have owned. I have about 12,000 miles on them. semi aero, fairly light and ride great. I would use them again without a question.

oldpotatoe
06-22-2011, 07:34 AM

A23 from Velocity?
RR585 from DT?

No such thing as a free lunch...DT 585 will be a more reliable wheelset, great rims, heavier than A23.

Kontact
06-22-2011, 08:28 AM
This is kind of a funny problem - where to find a nice, light 24 hole rim.

Velocity makes a decent product - they'll hold up well, but don't build up as easily, which I take as a sign of quality. But my shop produced a ton of wheelsets with Aeroheads that are still around - the wheel design that Cane Creek later bought and continued to use Aeroheads with - those wheels are holding up really well.

DT doesn't offer 24 in many drillings, except the incredibly heavy RR585.

Kinlins seemed to be loved by a few (like myself) and poo-pooed by others. They are light and inexpensive. Made in China, unlike Velocity and others.

Mavic's quality has gone downhill in recent years, and 24h rims are limited.

Stan's are pricey, and probably not as nice as the Heds for the money.

This is why I ended up with XR-200 Kinlins 24/28 for my 145 lbs. frame. They were light, priced right and built very easily into straight, stong wheels.

If you can't find someone local or a big name builder, I'd be happy to build your wheels - but I'm just a good mechanic and wheelbuilder at a very reputable Serotta shop in Wisconsin. You probably have someone like that in your area.

hokoman
06-22-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm trying to imagine how short you are to have 160# be considered "stocky"

Really I duuno about 24/28 rims as I'm stocky and have a 32 set and a 36 set

5'6" - 5'7" on a good day? Most my cycling buddies that are my height are between 20-30 lbs lighter than me.