PDA

View Full Version : Another of the NOS Titan frames

Frank
06-25-2005, 10:17 AM
I received today the second of the Titans I have purchased (Weisan has the other beautiful one with the crosshatched engraving on the tubing):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7163334096

I have only looked it over for a short while this evening and done some minor stuff on the frame, but I believe it to be a very nice frame and an absolute steal for $159.

Packing was great! The frame was well protected with lots of bubble wrap, then inside a heavy sheet of plastic, then covered with a cardboard upside down U over the top of the frame, all inside a nice strong box. There was also a wooden protector between the rear dropouts, a set of dropout screws, a seat binder bolt, and decals.

The frame is much prettier than I expected from the pictures. It is a very nice gray and white smoke-like paint scheme that is really nice and looks like a custom paint job that would be found on a much more expensive frame. The chrome is in pristine condition and looks very sharp with this paint job.

The rear spacing is 128mm and the bottom bracket shell is 70mm wide (Italian). I took a Campy Italian bottom bracket to it and it went right in...no cleaning needed in this bottom bracket shell.

The seattube has the rifling at the bottom butt, so it could indeed be Columbus SLX tubing. A 27.2 seatpost was a very tight fit, but with a bit of cleanup with a flexhone the seatpost slid in and fit nice and snug.

Now for my guess as to the builder. I have owned quite a few different Italian frames, and this one to me most resembles a Daccordi. Bottom bracket shell, lugs, paint scheme, etc. on this one more closely resemble a Daccordi than any of the other builders I have seen. Then again, the builder may be someone completely different!

If you are looking for a nice lugged steel frame that is an absolutely great value you can't go wrong with the Titan frames. They are found on eBay pretty regularly in different sizes and configurations.

weisan
06-25-2005, 01:41 PM
Did their warehouse catch fire or sumthin'?!? :D

Very nice, Frank. Your taste is smokin' good. So, Daccordi you say...hmmm....interesting.

Oh one last thing...you gonna build this for your own pleasure riding, right?...right!

Dave-pal...I know exactly what you gonna say...hhhmmm, just my size!!! :banana:

The best part of this frame, IMHO, is that it won't require any post-ride cleaning for a loooooong time. ;)

victoryfactory
06-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Hmmm...

That's what my frame looks like after I ride through a big wad of
bubblegum on a hot day.

But seriously, nice look, especially the transition to the chrome stays.

VF

vaxn8r
06-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Link doesn't work. Size? Sold yet?

boulder_courier
06-25-2005, 06:39 PM
This frame looks like the Columbus SL/SLX frame w/ "marble" finish made by Tommasini circa 1988.....

I had the white "marble" frame...

Jim

shinomaster
06-26-2005, 02:22 PM
How does the quality of this of compare to that of the one you sold Weisan? Which one has nicer lugs?
My brother got one of the purple ones with the crazy silver and red airbrushing. It's a beautiful paint job in person. Looks like a colnago in a way. The lugs are not so super great, pretty thick and heavy. Beautiful chrome! The frame weighs 5.5 lbs. It will however make a really pretty rain bike!

I was looking at the one you got. I remember Diamond Back painted mountain bikes like this when i firt got into cycling.

Frank
06-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Shino,

Maybe a way to compare the two frames would be to look at the pics I have in the thread above and the ones Weisan posted at:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=4171&highlight=titan

The bike he has came with the cross-hatched tubing, which is a really cool touch. His has a rear chainstay bridge, this one doesn't.

dirtdigger88
06-26-2005, 06:18 PM
:beer:

Jason