PDA

View Full Version : Campy front deraileur questions

d_douglas
06-20-2011, 09:03 AM
I run a Record triple 31.8mm FD on my cyclocross bike with a Veloce 175mm compact crankset. I ghetto rigged a 48t big ring, so it is a bit smaller than normal.

The problem is that the FD touches the crankarm I believe due to the little flare in the cage.

What is the cheapest, most foolproof FD to use here? A Centaur or Veloce CT? I assume that these FDs do not have the flared cage part. Or I believe I have seen that, in fact, a Campy FD for standard rings will work just fine. These can probably be found by the dozens since Compact cranks have become so popular.

Thanks for your sage advice.

oldpotatoe
06-20-2011, 09:11 AM
I run a Record triple 31.8mm FD on my cyclocross bike with a Veloce 175mm compact crankset. I ghetto rigged a 48t big ring, so it is a big smaller than normal.

The problem is that the FD touches the crankarm I believe due to the little flare in the cage.

What is the cheapest, most foolproof FD to use here? A Centaur or Veloce CT? I assume that these FDs do not have the flared cage part. Or I believe I have seen that, in fact, a Campy FD for standard rings will work just fine. These can probably be found by the dozens since Compact cranks have become so popular.

Thanks for your sage advice.

A standard Campagnolo FD, like a Veloce..that will work the best. Not CT, just a standard front derailleur.

d_douglas
06-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks, Guru. I need to buy you a beer someday.