PDA

View Full Version : OT: The best movies most have never heard of...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

William
06-20-2011, 08:40 AM
What are good movies out there that most folks may not have heard of? I'll throw one out for consideration....

Fandango
Kevin Costner, Judd Nelson, Sam Robards. This was before Costner got famous, and while Nelson was in the Brat Pack...so a little surprising he did it.

What you got? :)

William

firerescuefin
06-20-2011, 08:47 AM
3 O'clock High

DRZRM
06-20-2011, 08:53 AM
The Long Riders

Walter Hill's take on Jesse James' gang. All brothers played by brothers, Quaid brothers, Keach brothers, Carradine brothers, even the Guests playing the Ford brothers. Amazing shootouts.

William
06-20-2011, 08:54 AM
3 O'clock High

I remember that one!

"I want you to understand something Jerry. I don't like people knowing about me, in fact I don't like it when ANYONE knows about me. So you can take that paper of yours and wipe off your **** with it! You made me mad Jerry... now I'm gunna have to do something to work it off..."

William

firerescuefin
06-20-2011, 08:56 AM
William....you got it!....it's a classic. One of my favorite movies:beer:

bking
My Name is Nobody

bagochips3
3 Idiots

drewski
1.Night of the hunter

It was on last week on AMC. Robert Mitchum serial killer preacher.
A take on the brothers grimm.

2. Coogan's bluff early Eastwood flick. Great motorcycle chase
scene in Fort Tryon Park in New York City. My old neighborhood.

3. Babette's feast - a big favorite. Explores duality of Sensuality/ abstinance.

4. Tree Queens --argentine con-man flick. You really don't
know who is conning who until the very end of the film. Similar
to House of Games by David Mamet. Tree Queens is better IMHO.

5. Don't Die without telling me where you are going. Really quirky
film exploring super natural themes in a very light way.

6. Secret of Roan Inish- one for the kids. " Come back Jimmy..."

7. 13th Warrior- This bombed big time. What can I say I really
like movies with Norse themes. Vikings rule!!!

soupless
06-20-2011, 09:09 AM
1. Spartan starring Val Kilmer and William H. Macy. It's a David Mamet screenplay about someone attempting to kidnap the president's daughter.

2. The Fall. Oh, The Fall. It's such a beautiful elegant movie that I don't really want to get into too much detail. If you rent it and do not like it, I will reimburse you for the rental charges. The first time most people see it they are absolutely captivated and don't believe what's happening. It was made by Tarsem Singh (The Cell) and stars Lee Pace and little girl and a bunch of heroes. Please watch it.

Joachim
06-20-2011, 09:10 AM
"Thursday", 1998

Richard
06-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Greaser's Palace -- Jesus Christ parachutes into the old west wearing a zute suit and biblical stories are "retold."

Bob Ross
06-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Greaser's Palace -- Jesus Christ parachutes into the old west wearing a zute suit and biblical stories are "retold."

Ooh, I think I've actually seen that one...very cool in that surreal, were-the-producers-on-drugs?!?! kinda way.

My contribution to this thread: "Until The End Of The World" by Wim Wenders. I don't even remember what it's about, but I remember the first time I saw it (circa 1993?) it was so engaging that we all watched it three more times that weekend.

Eh, or maybe it was just that weekend that was engaging...

Dekonick
06-20-2011, 09:31 AM
1)MindWalk

Good luck finding it... but a great movie.

2)The Killing Fields

3) 3 O'clock high - one of my favorites

4)The Big Blue (I prefer it in french... Le Grand Bleu) - the acting is nothing special, but the scenery and soundtrack make the movie.

5) Seven Samurai - probably one of the best movies I have ever seen... the basis for The Magnificant Seven...

6) Eraserhead - You have to see it once... disturbing, wierd, a cult classic.

7) Das Boot - a must see. Do yourself a favor and watch it in German with subtitles.

There are many more, but these are what come to mind at the moment.

Climb01742
06-20-2011, 09:31 AM
'the straight story' by david lynch. it's the least david lynch david lynch movie. and in my top 5 all-time.

'days of heaven' by terrence malick. (netflix it instead of seeing 'the tree of life'.)

fiamme red
06-20-2011, 09:33 AM
5) Seven Samurai - probably one of the best movies I have ever seen... the basis for The Magnificant Seven...

6) Eraserhead - You have to see it once... disturbing, wierd, a cult classic.

7) Das Boot - a must see. Do yourself a favor and watch it in German with subtitles.Most people have never heard of these three movies? :confused:

RonW87
06-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Year of Living Dangerously. Mel Gibson when he was still good, Sigourney Weaver before Aliens, great script and cinematography. Score by Vangelis.

bzbvh5
06-20-2011, 09:35 AM
He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not - It's in French so you have to read subtitles. It answers the question, how can a married man have an affair with a single woman while being a faithful husband?

rugbysecondrow
06-20-2011, 09:44 AM
3 O'clock High

Awesome flick, good recommendation.

UHF

Beautiful Girls

Hope and Glory

Brothers McMullen

dave thompson
06-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Putney Swope.

Spin71
06-20-2011, 10:42 AM
The Swimming Pool

1centaur
06-20-2011, 10:43 AM
The Dambusters

The Victors

Germany_chris
06-20-2011, 10:43 AM
The Swimming Pool

That movie was strange!

bambam
06-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Secratary - 2002,Maggie Gylenhal and James Spader.

May - 2002, no actors come to mind. The sweetest girl serial killer you ever met.

MattTuck
06-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Secratary - Maggie Gylenhal and James Spader.

May - 2002, no actors come to mind. The sweetest girl serial killer you ever met.

Secretary, this is sorta soft core BDSM... just sayin'. :cool:

I warn you only because my grandfather rented Broke Back Mountain thinking it was gonna be a cowboy/western movie... he was surprised, to say the least. So I wanted to let you know what you're getting in to.

bambam
06-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Secretary, this is sorta soft core BDSM... just sayin'. :cool:

I warn you only because my grandfather rented Broke Back Mountain thinking it was gonna be a cowboy/western movie... he was surprised, to say the least. So I wanted to let you know what you're getting in to.

Oh, yea both movies are weird. Original seems a good word. There may have been other like them but nothing comes to mind.
you could also include "boxing Helana"(?) in the mix.

MadRocketSci
06-20-2011, 11:05 AM
To Live, by Zhang Yimou...you feel like you've lived an entirely separate lifetime when it's done...

Sex and Lucia

Best of Youth - Italian epic

cmg
06-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Happy Accidents, Vincent D'Onofrio , Marisa Tomei,, saw this on IFC one saturday morning. Marisa was hilarious, great flick.

dd74
06-20-2011, 11:13 AM
The Tank - Russian tank team lost in Afghanistan at the end of the Afghani-Russian war - great portrayal of the war as Russia's Vietnam.

The Bunker - about the last days of Hitler, underground in Berlin.

District 9 - Alien encampment in Johannesburg. Great play on Apartheid.

The Driver - one of the last great noir-type films about a getaway driver.

Moon - completely creepy; difficult to explain.

* Note: I may have gotten the titles wrong for the first two. I've seen them appear differently for the same film.

William
06-20-2011, 12:30 PM
If you are into racing/competition movies/documentaries...

Dust to Glory
About the Baja 1000, the different classes, what it takes, and the personalities who compete. A truly epic race.

Little Fauss and Big Halsey
The movie Robert Redford would like you to forget about. A story of two motorcycle racers, the inept, unsuspecting Little Faus (Micheal J.Pollard) and the opportunistic, womanizing Halsey Knox (Redford).

Trivia...One of 'Robert Redford''s least favorite films he ever starred in and also one of the few times he played an unlikable character. Redford was reportedly very unhappy when this film was first shown on regular television about the time _All The President's Men (1976)_ was released in theaters. This might also be why it's not even listed on Netflix...

Lemans
Well, not a totally unknown movie, but unknown to many people today. No CGI, just real, pure racing. Filmed during the actual Lemans race that Steve McQueen actually raced in. Epic.

William

mnoble485
06-20-2011, 12:41 PM
When asked this question I allways respond with "Dinner Rush". Stars Danny Aiello and a cast of "I know that person but can't place them" Great movie with a great twist in the end.

Mike

Kontact
06-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Barcelona - comedy about 1980s Americans living in Spain.

Ravenous - horror/action/almost comedy about cannabilism in the 1840s Sierras. Guy Pierce and Robert Carlyle.

Shallow Grave - Ewan MacGregor and Danny Boyle before Trainspotting and Slumdog Millionaire.

Run Lola Run - stylish German action/destiny pic. Great soundtrack.

Any of the French crime films by Mellville - Le Samurai is a good one.

Strange Days - Kathryn Bigelow of Hurt Locker with Ralph Finnes and Angela Bassett. Screenplay by James Cameron.

Miami Blues - Baldwin!

Orlando - beautiful and funny adaptation of Virginia Wolfe novel with Tilda Swinton as the immortal main character.

Tampopo - hilarious Japanese film skewers Japanese life on the quest for the perfect bowl of ramen.

Joachim
06-20-2011, 01:01 PM

+1. Completely forgot about that one. It's in my collection...

Ozz
06-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Barcelona - comedy about 1980s Americans living in Spain.
Very funny, and just a little odd

Title reminds me of "Run Fatboy, Run" - Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead) and Hank Azaria....hilarious....lots of Nike product placement though.

Miami Blues - Baldwin!
excellent!

"Walker" - Ed Harris
Surreal movie about William Walker and his 19th century invasion of Nicaragua to so setup a new govt friendly to American business interests

uno-speedo
06-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Girl with the dragon tattoo (Swedish)

The Chaser (Korean)

Old Boy (Korean)

Ahneida Ride
06-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Duel

Spielberg's first flick .....

The dinner scene is a classic.

If you have never see this flick, grab the family together, heat up the
pop corn and be on the edge of your seat for 90 minutes.

It was actually a made for TV movie .... That was when the big 3
actually did stuff. Not shows were they make frns where we make
idiots of ourselves jumping thru hoops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MtAMc4i8OA

Hawker
06-20-2011, 01:55 PM
When asked this question I allways respond with "Dinner Rush". Stars Danny Aiello and a cast of "I know that person but can't place them" Great movie with a great twist in the end.

Mike

Yes! This is shown quite a bit on IFC, FLIX or Sundance. Well worth watching, especially if you like NYC/Mafia family kind of stuff.

BillG
06-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Korean movies are where it's at!

Second Old Boy and the whole Vengeance trilogy -- but not for the weak.

The best film I've seen in a long time was Lee Chang-Dong's Poetry.

David Kirk
06-20-2011, 01:57 PM
I have to put my 2 cents in for Repoman. It's so good on so many levels and the more times you see it the more there is to see.

Dave

Bob Loblaw
06-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Little Big Man (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CEUQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FRonin_( film)&rct=j&q=ronin&ei=1pr_TdObFcTTgQfdj6jeCw&usg=AFQjCNF3ERKjxxylLvaxxm5IWVKv4vhCDA&cad=rja) ...popular in its day (before my time), but forgotten these days. Awesome storytelling and rich characters, plus a great acoustic blues soundtrack. First line of the movie: "111 years ago, when I was ten years old, my family...in crossin' the Great Plains...was wiped out by a band of wild Indians. Everybody was killed or drug off by them murderin' varmints, except me and my sister Caroline."

Ronin (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CEUQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FRonin_( film)&rct=j&q=ronin&ei=1pr_TdObFcTTgQfdj6jeCw&usg=AFQjCNF3ERKjxxylLvaxxm5IWVKv4vhCDA&cad=rja) with Robert DeNiro...more recent, sort of came and went without much fanfare, but I flippin loved it. See it for the car chases if nothing else.

Kingpin (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FKingpin _(film)&rct=j&q=kingpin%20film&ei=Mpz_TfiODaXW0QG8kJmJAw&usg=AFQjCNFKnAyz2iI6YeA_v7l_qO6DGCQJlA&cad=rja) ...Hilarious!

Jacob's Ladder (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FJacob%2 527s_Ladder_(film)&rct=j&q=jacob%27s%20ladder%20film&ei=epz_TczAC-XV0QHbg629Aw&usg=AFQjCNHVrZSzv8PXarL-vI0Ls2YsFN9syw&cad=rja) ...freaky and awesome.

drewski
06-20-2011, 02:07 PM
I have to put my 2 cents in for Repoman. It's so good on so many levels and the more times you see it the more there is to see.

Dave
The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

Love the Soundtrack.

William
06-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Dudes

Even if you don't like the movie, the soundtrack kicks!

William

profkrispy
06-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Waiting for Guffman

Don49
06-20-2011, 02:31 PM
The Tank - Russian tank team lost in Afghanistan at the end of the Afghani-Russian war - great portrayal of the war as Russia's Vietnam.

Netflix has it as "The Beast", I queued it, my kind of movie.

regiolanthe
06-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Waiting for Guffman

"My Dinner With Andre" action figures. LMAO...

geo.

StanleySteamer
06-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Breaker Morant
Gallipoli
Downfall
Wings of Desire

uno-speedo
06-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Korean movies are where it's at!

Second Old Boy and the whole Vengeance trilogy -- but not for the weak.

The best film I've seen in a long time was Lee Chang-Dong's Poetry.

Yep. Most Korean films always have a good twist and are not styled in a typical happy hollywood ending.

regiolanthe
06-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Breaker Morant

"I'm a pagan too" ... Great movie. RIP Edward Woodward...

I remember seeing "Gallipoli" back in college (Trans Lux at UConn ... great theater). I've seen it at the library, but not sure I want to re-watch ... tho' I suspect I will one of these days. Anything with trench warfare is so discomforting...

geo

William
06-20-2011, 02:56 PM
The Keep

Early Michael Mann effort. Never released to DVD. Not great though memorable for veering from typical Hollywood formula lines.

William

BillG
06-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Yep. Most Korean films always have a good twist and are not styled in a typical happy hollywood ending.

Truth. Someone once said that most Korean movies are about trying to look evil in the face and finding out you can't because it's much worse than you think (and you are weaker than you thought).

BTW if anyone decides to watch the Vengeance Trilogy DO NOT WATCH IT ON NETFLIX STREAMING! The dubbing is awful.

The Host is an awesome starter for getting into Korean movies and it's streaming HD on Netflix. If it's dubbed, I can't remember whether it is, it's not nearly as bad as Oldboy.

weisan
06-20-2011, 03:02 PM
This touches on personal, preference etc, so let me define....

"Best": In this case, Impactful, life-changing, thought-provoking, "WOW!!!" factors, exhilarating, encouraging, action-inducing ie "make you want to go out and do something", unique experience, never seen it before, kick myself for not knowing about it until now....even for someone like me who is a self-confessed movie junkie, and can guess most of the moves and the conversation pieces that will happen at 1:32 time clock less than 10 mins into the movie. :rolleyes: :beer:

"Most never heard": I would be very surprised if more than a couple of pals here have heard of it...I certainly didn't until a few nights ago when I watched it with my friends.

SO, what is it? Ready?

The Cross, Jesus in China, Seeds of Blood
Produced in 2003.
http://www.amazon.com/Cross-Jesus-China-Seeds-Blood/dp/B000HYZ0C2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308599591&sr=8-2

I will say again...this is monumental and not just because of its subject matter that is admittedly close to my heart, but rather judging it in its overall merits, from a film production standpoint - speaking as someone who has some RTF (radio, television, film) background.

Go see...I am almost begging you. :)

Bud_E
06-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Local Hero. Nice soundtrack by Mark Knopfler.

Ozz
06-20-2011, 03:26 PM
The Keep

Early Michael Mann effort. Never released to DVD. Not great though memorable for veering from typical Hollywood formula lines.

William
Is that the one with Nazis and vampires?

You ever see "Castle Keep"? Burt Lancaster, Peter Falk...crazy.

"Go Tell the Spartans" is another great one with Burt....heck, this list could be Burt Lancaster movies
"Valdez is Coming"
"The Swimmer"
"Zulu Dawn"

Speaking of Britains in South Africa..."Zulu" with Michael Caine is excellent. The Battle of Rorke's Drift. Eleven Victoria Crosses were awarded after that battle...

Lastly, Mel Gibson is a putz, but "We Were Soldiers" is awesome...Sam Elliott has the best line: "Sir, Custer was a pussy. You ain't. "

Ahneida Ride
06-20-2011, 03:33 PM
into great silence

David Kirk
06-20-2011, 03:37 PM
The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

Love the Soundtrack.

I own the soundtrack on CD and it gets lots of use.

Dave

PaulE
06-20-2011, 04:10 PM
A Boy and His Dog, starring a young Don Johnson, Jason Robards and Benji -

"Well, I'd certainly say she had marvelous judgment, Albert, if not particularly good taste."

Ti Designs
06-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Putney Swope.

"I don't want to rock the boat, I'm gonna SINK the boat!"

Ozz
06-20-2011, 04:21 PM
"Dead Calm"

ultraman6970
06-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Lets see if anybody knows this one :D

"The Fearless Vampire Killers"

My list of non mainstream good and bad movies is too long, good taste between the riders tho. Yes some korean thrillers are pretty good :)

Seramount
06-20-2011, 04:33 PM
gotta throw Fitzcarraldo on the list of obscure, cool movies.

Klaus Kinski as a man slightly obsessed with building an opera house in the Amazon jungle; directed by Werner Hertzog.

echelon_john
06-20-2011, 04:45 PM
1. Sexy Beast--Ben Kingsley at his psychotic, sociopathic best, and Ray Winstone as a wants-to-be retired gangster sucked back into the biz...

2. Transsiberian--train thriller with Woody Harrelson (actually decent in this), Kingsley, and several unfamiliar faces/names

3. The Unbearable Lightness of Being---Daniel Day Lewis and Juliette Binoche, both early in their careers, in an amobitious adaptation of Kundera's novel about the Czech revolution. Sexy, well acted, sentimental.

4. Triplettes of Belleville...great music, no dialogue, should be on any cycling cinophile's list...

merlincustom1
06-20-2011, 04:59 PM
+1 Orlando

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover by Peter Greenaway

Mulholland Drive by David Lynch

Matewan by John Sayles

Dancer in the Dark by Lars von Trier

Hard Eight by Paul Thomas Anderson

ultraman6970
06-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Fitzcarraldo ?? wow saw that one so long ago that i cant even remember, excelent movie but what about Angels and Insects?????

Rada
06-20-2011, 05:15 PM
The Duellists- Directed by Ridley Scott

indyrider
06-20-2011, 05:18 PM
A Good Year (2006) :beer: Russell Crowe, Abby Cornish, Marion Cotillard, & Albert Finney...Especially triumphant during le tour

bironi
06-20-2011, 05:21 PM
It was a big hit in India, and elsewhere, but I didn't see it until a couple three years ago. Great entertainment with laugh out loud moments.

Sholay is a 1975 film Hindi film, about the two petty criminals, Jai and Veeru hired by village head, Thakur, to capture, for a bounty, a ruthless dacoit by the name of Gabbar Singh.

pavel
06-20-2011, 05:33 PM
ctrl+f repo man found!

Jeff N.
06-20-2011, 05:43 PM
1. Thief. Jimmy Caan.
2. The Hot Rock. Redford.
3. Motorcycle Diaries. Outstanding.
4. The Last Detail. Nicholson at his best.
5. The Gambler. Jimmy Caan again.
6. Scarecrow. Al Pacino, Gene Hackman.
7. Marathon Man. Dustin Hoffman, L. Olivier ("Is It Safe?")
8. Sometime A Great Notion. Paul Newman's directorial debut. One of my favs.

1centaur
06-20-2011, 05:53 PM
+1 on The Swimmer. I came across that completely by chance in my youth and could not turn it off. The director should be credited with the unique feel of that one.

dd74
06-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Four more:

Crash - the one about car crash fetishes.

Mother - Albert Brooks

Punch Drunk Love - Adam Sandler in a dramatic role - very good movie.

Of course, there also is The Bad Lieutenant.

Louis
06-20-2011, 06:39 PM
into great silence

Great dialogue in that one. :p

chuckroast
06-20-2011, 07:00 PM
The In Laws...

Not the remake from a few years ago but the original from the '70's with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin. Absolutely maniacal.

PS, +1 on the Local Hero reference earlier.

oliver1850
06-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Breaker Morant was the first that came to mind, Matewan the 2nd.

For one that nobody has mentioned (I hope), but not all that obscure to film fans, how about M (1931). Starring Peter Lorre, directed by Fritz Lang.

The Lavender Hill Mob (1951), starring Alec Guinness

ultraman6970
06-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Fritz Lang... Metropolis.

Dekonick
06-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Most people have never heard of these three movies? :confused:

Not the younger generation...

Dekonick
06-20-2011, 07:56 PM
The Keep

William

Oh yeah - forgot about this one!

Dekonick
06-20-2011, 08:10 PM
The Gods Must Be Crazy

Amelie (in french...)

Another vote for Sex and Lucia (almost porn...)

Soilent Green

Zardos

King of Hearts

Louis
06-20-2011, 08:10 PM
I assume most have heard of this one, but if you haven't you have to the The Usual Suspects.

Bruce K
06-20-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm jumping to the end and skipping a few but....

1st - William I just got Le Mans on Blue Ray. I LOVE that movie.

One of my all time favorite flicks is "Glory" with Mathew Broderick, Morgan Freeman, and Denzel Washington. Story of the 1st Massachusetts black regiment to actually see combat in the Civil War.

An amazing story.

BK

Dekonick
06-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Eric the Viking

Time Bandits

Spin71
06-20-2011, 08:26 PM
One of my all time favorite flicks is "Glory" with Mathew Broderick, Morgan Freeman, and Denzel Washington. Story of the 1st Massachusetts black regiment to actually see combat in the Civil War.

An amazing story.

BK

I'm gonna guess a movie that won 3 Oscars has been "heard of" by most.

Louis
06-20-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm gonna guess a movie that won 3 Oscars has been "heard of" by most.

I nominate Spin71 as stickler of the week. ;)

markie
06-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Might favourites not mentioned yet are:

Happiness. A Todd Solondz movie (Welcome to the dollhouse) This movie is what American Beauty should have been. So many great moments. Do not eat the tuna sandwich.

The Warriors. Original version

staggerwing
06-20-2011, 08:43 PM
"Most have never heard of" can certainly take on a different meaning if you missed the original release.

In that case, I nominate "The Right Stuff." I grew up in the Apollo era, but TRS is about what came before; specifically the Mercury program, which laid the foundation for the eventual moonshot. It also touches on the end of the cowboy/test pilot era, with tidbits of Chuck Yeager's feats. A contrast between The Right Stuff, as a something you are born with, and the right stuff, as something carefully molded by some savvy handlers. I will grant you, it is a look in reverse, with some very rose colored glasses.

On a more recent note, "Worlds Fastest Indian" is more recent, overlooked pick; an understated and beautifully filmed biopic, with sir Anthony Hopkins in the lead.

gdw
06-20-2011, 08:53 PM
A few which haven't been mentioned;
The Last Picture Show
Hud
Miller's Crossing
Nashville
McCabe and Mr. Miller

mtnbke
06-20-2011, 08:54 PM
I actually kind of liked:

Hey, Hey, its Esther Blueberger

Its an Australian coming of age story for a young 14 year old girl. With Toni Collette and Keisha Castle-Hughes it has two Oscar nominees and the young actress playing the lead character steals the show.

Its not a Hollywood movie with a tidy plot and a clean ending, but for anyone who was ever 13/14 and didn't know what to make of it there is something that resonates here.

I doubt most people have heard of this one, it only grossed like $800k in Australia. I think Blockbuster actually carries this title as they are trying to position themselves as more indie after the dishNetwork deal.

However, an absolutely incredible and epic movie with William H. Macy and Alec Baldwin that I doubt many have heard of is:

The Cooler

My god was that a great movie!

I second the vote for:

Dinner Rush

Most people have never heard of the film with Matt Dillon and Christina Applegate:

Employee of the Month

A freakin' great movie as well just not your usual clean and tidy Hollywood ending so most fat Americans don't even have it on their radar.

William
06-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Is that the one with Nazis and vampires?

Nazis yes, vampires no.

Romania, 1942, a detachment of the German Army is sent to gaurd a mysterious Romanian citadel located on a strategic mountain pass. When soldiers begin to be mysteriously murdered, the SS arrives to deal with what is thought to be partisan activity. What the SS finds, however, is an evil force trapped within the Keep and a force which will do anything in order to escape.

Interesting review below....

*** This review may contain spoilers ***

"Michael Mann is one of Hollywood's most acclaimed filmmakers nowadays (with modern classics like "Collateral" and "Heat" on his repertoire) but, just as so many talented directors, he started his career in the horror genre with the uniquely sinister and atmospheric "The Keep". Not being much of a fan of large-budgeted blockbusters, I hence consider this to be one of his most remarkable achievements, alongside the marvelous Hannibal Lector film "Manhunter". "The Keep" is adapted from Paul Wilson's novel with the same title. Personally, I haven't read it (yet), but approximately 90% of the reviews I've encountered so far are stating that the film version is overall weak and lacking in comparison with the book. Well, that must be a pretty damn amazing book then, because I thought the film already was petrifying as hell and easily one of the darkest & most unsettling fantasy-tales I ever beheld! The screenplay isn't without flaws, indeed (I'll come back to that later), but the horrific atmosphere Mann creates is insanely intense and the choreography & set pieces are nearly perfect. Nearly every sequence just oozes with suspense and you'll get the feeling that something ominous & creepy awaits the characters behind every corner. Not that you care too much about them, because…well…most of them are Nazis, but still the constantly lurking presence of pure evil truly sends cold shivers down your spine. The story's set-up is reminiscent to that of a morbid fairy-tale, with a sinister keep located somewhere in a remote Carpathian area and hiding an evil breed that is supernaturally guarded by an angel-like warrior. When a squadron of Nazi soldiers brutally claims ownership of the keep, the evil force is awakened and immediately begins to gruesomely kill the perpetrators. The almighty Nazis eventually require the help of a reluctant Jewish professor to discover the source of the evil, while his beautiful young daughter experiences a dream-like romance with the godly guardian of the keep. Simply put, "The Keep" is a masterfully photographed and fascinating fantasy-tale that gives everyone of us a lesson in sheer tension. Especially when the evil force hasn't yet taken on a monstrous shape and dwells around the impressive fortress like fog, the tension is almost unbearable. The first few killings of Nazi soldiers are quite gory, too, since their bodies are cut in half or their heads are literally blown to pieces. Admittedly it loses a bit of its tremendous impact once it takes the form of a flashy red-eyed demon firing off laser beams, but then still it remains a pretty damn scary movie!

During the film and actually for quite a while after finishing it, the plot holes and severe improbabilities didn't occur to me at all. Only afterwards, when analyzing this perplexing film experience, it comes to the surface that Mann's screenplay seems incomplete and raises quite an amount of questions that remain unanswered here in the film version. Logical questions, actually, that you tend to overlook when you're sucked into a hi-tech visual masterpiece like this. Assuming the monster – Molasar – represents the gathering of many malicious forces, how and by whom were they bundled into one location? Who built the keep and what purpose serve the silver crosses other than eerie decoration? What's the significance of the talisman that keeps Molasar inside the walls of the keep whether or not the guardian angel is present? And who's eventually the biggest menace to mankind? He…or the Nazis? I suppose this is what everyone means when they're referring to the novel as being superior. I imagine Paul Wilson gives a lot more background to the keep and to the monster in particular. There were several eminent actors involved in this film, and not just for the principal roles. Even though Scott Glenn receives top billing as Glaeken Trismegestus – the guardian – he has very little to do, actually. Particularly Gabriel Byrne impresses as the relentless & cruel Nazi Commander Kaempffer (complete with the ugliest haircut imaginable), and so does Jürgen Prochnow as the 'good-hearted' and concerned army Captain caring more about the fates of his team members than about the success of Hitler. Ian McKellen is a bit disappointing as the Jewish professor, but maybe that's partly due to the fact his lines were dubbed after finishing the movie. Why the hell did they do that? Overall I'd say "The Keep" is a highly recommend horror film and really one of the only 80's efforts that truly manages to frighten you! Here's to hoping it gets a fancy DVD-release anytime soon. "

BillG
06-20-2011, 09:31 PM
"The Fearless Vampire Killers"

Awesome movie. My favorite Polanski. Certainly the funniest.

William
06-20-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm jumping to the end and skipping a few but....

1st - William I just got Le Mans on Blue Ray. I LOVE that movie.

BK

Mrs. William stopped at FYE this week and I asked her to look for this one for me....though they didn't have it. I believe I saw this in a Drive-in with my parents when I was a wee tyke. I've been getting reacquainted with clips on Youtube and decided we need the disk. http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/sunrise131/smileys/smiley-driving.gif

William

gasman
06-20-2011, 10:21 PM
The Starfighters !!!

Oh wait that was one of the worst movies ever made and I bet I'm the only one here to have watched the whole thing. I was 10.

I've really agreed with a lot of movies that have been posted and now I've got some great ideas for movies to rent.

bart998
06-21-2011, 12:06 AM
City Island... Andy Garcia... great movie

dd74
06-21-2011, 12:55 AM
How about...

Brazil.

And how about not

Wings of Desire. :rolleyes:

zetroc
06-21-2011, 01:17 AM
I second The Keep, and Manhunter. Michael Mann is a genius.

Bruce K
06-21-2011, 01:52 AM
Willaim - try Best Buy

We also own Gran Prix with James Garner.

Spin - a lot of folks have never seen Glory but if you want to get picky, how about The Last Starfighter? Kind of campy but a fun sci-fi flick that's about to get re-made.

Then there is always Soylent Green (no spoilers, PLEASE).

BK

rounder
06-21-2011, 02:03 AM
Movies that struck me most people do not know about were That Man from Rio with Jean Paul Belmondo and Franscois Dorleac and Grand Prix. I thought that both were great.

slowgoing
06-21-2011, 02:25 AM
3 O'clock High

+1

and Something Wild.

dumbod
06-21-2011, 06:23 AM
Local Hero +1

Duel +1

Fearless Vampire Killers - Full title is the Fearless Vampire Killers or Pardon Me But Your Teeth Are in my Neck

Don't Look Now - Scariest movie of all time. Also has the hottest sex scene (Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland) of all time

Twelve Chairs - Very early Mel Brooks

Breaker Morant/Gallipoli - impossible to watch without crying at the end

William
06-21-2011, 06:25 AM
Willaim - try Best Buy

We also own Gran Prix with James Garner.

Spin - a lot of folks have never seen Glory but if you want to get picky, how about The Last Starfighter? Kind of campy but a fun sci-fi flick that's about to get re-made.

Then there is always Soylent Green (no spoilers, PLEASE).

BK

I'll give BB a whirl.

I forgot about The Last Starfighter. That's a good one.

I don't think I've seen Gran Prix. Though in Dust to Glory they show some clips of James Garner racing (as well as Steve McQueen).

William

Kirk Pacenti
06-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Miami Blues (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100143/)

danielpack22@ma
06-21-2011, 06:54 AM
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Richard Dreyfuss, Gary Oldman, and Tim Roth
The story of what the messengers in Hamlet were doing while the rest of the play was going on.

Rosencrantz: I don't believe in it anyway.
Guildenstern: What?
Rosencrantz: England.
Guildenstern: Just a conspiracy of cartographers, then?

Russell
06-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Trees Lounge - directed by and staring Steve Buscemi.

fireball
06-21-2011, 08:47 AM
The Starfighters !!!

Oh wait that was one of the worst movies ever made and I bet I'm the only one here to have watched the whole thing. I was 10.

I've really agreed with a lot of movies that have been posted and now I've got some great ideas for movies to rent.

I've seen this horrible movie several times and loved it....Mystery Science Theater 3000 did wonders for it.

Dekonick
06-21-2011, 09:01 AM
I've seen this horrible movie several times and loved it....Mystery Science Theater 3000 did wonders for it.

MST 3k - the movie ;)

rounder
06-21-2011, 09:19 AM
I'll give BB a whirl.

I forgot about The Last Starfighter. That's a good one.

I don't think I've seen Gran Prix. Though in Dust to Glory they show some clips of James Garner racing (as well as Steve McQueen).

William

Also try Amazon.com. I bought both Grand Prix and Le Mans there for less than $10 each.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=Search&resnum=0&oi=spell&search_query=steve+mcqueen+in+le+mans&spell=1&suggested_categories=2%2C1%2C10&sa=X

uno-speedo
06-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Withnail and I.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L95MAROlcqg

retrofit
06-21-2011, 09:52 AM
The Yearling
12 Angry Men
Enemy Mine
WUSA
A Clockwork Orange

+1 The Last Picture Show

mwaldhopkins
06-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys.

A few more:

1. Stranger than Fiction. Light and damn funny.
2. Mongol. Yes, in Mongolian.
3. Lars and the Real Girl. Weird and funny.
4. The Fast Runner. Cool arctic film.
5. City of God. Amazing Brazilian film.

Ozz
06-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Nazis yes, vampires no.

Romania, 1942, a detachment of the German Army is sent to gaurd a mysterious Romanian citadel located on a strategic mountain pass. When soldiers begin to be mysteriously murdered, ...
yeah, that is the one I was thinking of....I read the book when I was in high school....memory was a little fuzzy on what the "evil" was.

firerescuefin
06-21-2011, 10:37 AM
When a Man Loves a Woman (Andy Garcia/ Meg Ryan)

My Life (Michael Keaton/Nicole Kidman)

.....both great movies...both tear jerkers.

William
06-21-2011, 10:46 AM
yeah, that is the one I was thinking of....I read the book when I was in high school....memory was a little fuzzy on what the "evil" was.

Just searched it and it's still not on DVD but is streaming on Netflix. :cool:

William

Buzz
06-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Here are two:

Diva

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (french only version)

rugbysecondrow
06-21-2011, 11:00 AM
When a Man Loves a Woman (Andy Garcia/ Meg Ryan)

My Life (Michael Keaton/Nicole Kidman)

.....both great movies...both tear jerkers.

Yep, both are good but My Life is one of my favorites. I remember I went on a first date with a girl to see it (she picked it). I tried my best to not weep like a baby during the flick.

Here are a couple others:

Skin Deep with John Ritter. Very funny, the glow in the dark rubber scene is hilarious. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098343/

Clean and Sober with Michel Keaton. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094884/

firerescuefin
06-21-2011, 11:02 AM
I tried my best to not weep like a baby during the flick.

Very similar story...except I was not successful on holding back the tears. I imagine as a new(er) dad, I would be even less successful now.

Bob Ross
06-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Crash - the one about car crash fetishes.

Oh, hell yes! With James Spader, Holly Hunter, Elias Koteas, Rosanna Arquette...that was a David Kronenberg film right? Really cool film...in a really perverse way.

Punch Drunk Love - Adam Sandler in a dramatic role - very good movie.

Sandler's Best. Role. Ever. I'd completely discount him as a no-talent hack were it not for his performance in this movie...but holy crap, he blows this one out of the water. I love this movie.

Pyramor
06-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Unless you're a diehard sci fi fan you probably haven't heard of these:

Logan's Run. Very unsettling in its theme like Soylent Green.

Forbidden Planet (1956, I think). Great premise and cast. Walter Pidegon, Leslie Nielson, Ann Francis, Earl Holloman, Jack Kelly and last, but not least, Robbie the Robot of Lost in Space fame.

William
06-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Unless you're a diehard sci fi fan you probably haven't heard of these:

Logan's Run. Very unsettling in its theme like Soylent Green.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. This thread is great in bringing movies back to memory that you may have forgot about. :cool:

William

Ozz
06-21-2011, 11:36 AM
"Pitch Black" - probably Vin Diesel's best role....low budget sci-fi done well.

Too bad they went big budget on the sequel and ruined it.....

MadRocketSci
06-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Y Tu Mama Tambien - mexican coming of age road trip flick

Titus - stylish adaptation of Titus Andronicus, the first tragedy by Shakespeare, meant to please the howling plebs who went to see his shows. It's as if Shakespeare collaborated with Tarantino and took inspiration from The Cook, Thief, Wife, and Lover. Anthony Hopkins plays Titus...

MadRocketSci
06-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Another vote for Sex and Lucia (almost porn...)

hah...that's nothing. Try Bertolucci's The Dreamers

gdw
06-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Another overlooked classic which sometimes shows up on TCM, A Face in the Crowd. Elia Kazan directed it and Andy Griffith is exceptional in his first role.

Ozz
06-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Another overlooked classic which sometimes shows up on TCM, A Face in the Crowd. Elia Kazan directed it and Andy Griffith is exceptional in his first role.
+1

The "Lonesome Rhodes" character was inspired by Arthur Godfrey

tuscanyswe
06-21-2011, 12:01 PM
A prophet. Great movie!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235166/

bironi
06-21-2011, 12:16 PM

+1 great stuff. :beer:

Elefantino
06-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Some may have been mentioned before:

Stranger on the Third Floor (1940): Classic film noir starring Lorre. Maybe the benchmark.

White Zombie (1932): Classic Lugosi. Made right after Dracula.

Hoodlum Priest (1961): Don't laugh. This is a great B flick, directed by the guy who did "Empire Strikes Back" 20 years later.

-30- (1959): Not as well-known as Bogart's "Deadline USA," this classic newspaper story stars Jack Webb.

C5 Snowboarder
06-21-2011, 12:25 PM
The Desk Set
Bringing up Baby
African Queen
Office Space

Best of all
Ghost and the Darkness
Anger Managment.

ClutchCargo
06-21-2011, 12:46 PM
These don't seem to get much press. But I like 'em.

"Big Night"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115678/
Great work by Tony Shaloub and Stanley Tucci

"House of Games"http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093223/
Classic, early Mamet. And Mantegna. Fun stuff.

"Blood Simple"http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086979/
Early Coen bros. Western noir; clever and violent in equal measure.
If you liked "Fargo", check it out.

"Red Rock West"http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105226/
Another mix of western and film noir. Nicholas Cage before
he became a bit of a self-parody. And a menacingly
fun Dennis Hopper.

William
06-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Martial arts...

Ong Bak

Sticks of Death

William

Bud_E
06-21-2011, 01:11 PM
A Thousand Clowns . Jason Robards, Martin Balsam. The kid actor (forget his name) was awesome. 1962 .

I love this thread. Lots of good movies (and a few stinkers) I forgot about.

mtnbke
06-21-2011, 01:32 PM
I don't know if it has already been mentioned but right when that mega-budget Beatles movie came out, Across the Universe, we saw a very very small budget independent movie. Actually, I think we saw the movies on back-to-back nights. While the Beatles movie was good, this other movie (not a musical) with music as a part of the central story line was outstanding:

Once

If you haven't seen it, you missed out.

Dekonick
06-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Solaris (the acting is terrible... the premise is cool) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069293/

Outland (Sean Connery) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082869/

Yojimbo http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055630/

Twilight Samurai http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0351817/

Easy Rider http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064276/

Bladerunner http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/

Westworld http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070909/

This is Spinal Tap http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088258/

La Cage aux Folles (the original in french) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077288/

La Femme Nikita http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100263/

Dekonick
06-21-2011, 01:48 PM
THX 1138

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (yeah, yeah... everyone has seen it...)

DUNE (you have to be a sci fi buff to enjoy this one... but I like it)
DUNE - the remake (Sci-Fi channel production)

Horatio Hornblower (the movie and the mini series)

A Boy And His Dog

9 1/2 weeks

Cinci Jim
06-21-2011, 02:22 PM
A Bridge to Far - one of the best war movies ever made

Blazing Saddles - I can watch this anytime

Life Aquatic

Zombieland

The Seventh Seal

Gosford Park

Fog of War - Eleven lessons from the life of Robert S. McNamara

And I'll add Restrepo

William
06-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence

Directed by Nagisa Oshima.

Get past the first 10 minutes and you will be rewarded. Yes it stars Bowie, but don't let that put you off.

William

lemondsteel
06-21-2011, 02:59 PM
"North Face" German account of the 1936 attempt to be the first to climb the North Face of the Eiger. Gripping movie. I've done a lot of climbing and know what's good and what's bad in Mountain movies. This one gets 99% of it right. Captioned because it's in German but excellent anyway. Germany wants to be the first to climb the NF because the olympic games are coming up and they want the bragging rights. All is true and factual about this movie. Not fiction!

Bob Ross
06-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Has anyone mentioned Memento yet? I think of that almost immediately whenever the conversation turns to "wonderful recent movies"

Lovetoclimb
06-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Dead Man

My favorite Johnny Depp and favorite Jim Jarmusch film.

+1 for The Fall by Tarsem Singh

Lovetoclimb
06-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Val Kilmer and RDJ at their best.

Pyramor
06-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Mephisto Waltz. Great cast. Alda before M.A.S.H. Possibly an attempt to capitalize on the success of Rosemay's Baby.

Fate is the Hunter. Another great cast. Perhaps Glenn Ford's best role.

The Wild Bunch. Peckinpah at his best. The gore is up close and personal. Casting is A+.

Sometimes a Great Notion. Fonda and Neuman. What more can you say?

Carnal Knowlege. Ann Margaret's best acting.

palincss
06-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Les Vacances de M. Hulot

Here's a taste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaDPRYehe2w

MadRocketSci
06-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Martial arts...

Ong Bak

Sticks of Death

William

The original Shaolin Temple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaolin_Temple_%281982_film%29) movie with young Jet Li. Back to basics with drunken fist, drunken sword, earthworm, praying mantis, 12 section chain, 3 section staff, regular staff, dog bbq, you kill my father prepare to die, frog-fu, broadsword, double broadsword, flexible spear, dart-on-a-string, look-ma-no-hands action. Real-deal traditional forms.

clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBGOXCGVDs0

tlarwa
06-21-2011, 04:14 PM
[QUOTE=bambam]Secratary - 2002,Maggie Gylenhal and James Spader.

That was a strange movie ... lot's of "interesting" scenes!

tlarwa
06-21-2011, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=William]If you are into racing/competition movies/documentaries...

Dust to Glory
About the Baja 1000, the different classes, what it takes, and the personalities who compete. A truly epic race.

If you're into the racing scene (motorcycles, that is), see "On Any Sunday" ... Steve McQueen, Mert Lawwill and Malcolm Smith, the "stars" of the motorcycle racing scene in the late '60s/early '70s. It's a classic.

Tom

Ozz
06-21-2011, 04:25 PM
The original Shaolin Temple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaolin_Temple_%281982_film%29) movie with young Jet Li. Back to basics with drunken fist, drunken sword, earthworm, praying mantis, 12 section chain, 3 section staff, regular staff, dog bbq, you kill my father prepare to die, frog-fu, broadsword, double broadsword, flexible spear, dart-on-a-string, look-ma-no-hands action. Real-deal traditional forms.

clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBGOXCGVDs0
"Hero"
another Jet Li movie....enjoyed it very much.

MadRocketSci
06-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Jean de Florette, Manon of the Spring - classic French countryside drama

Bruce K
06-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Old time swashbucklers:

Captain Blood
Adventures of Robin Hood
Ivanhoe
Against All Flags

BK

William
06-21-2011, 04:50 PM
"Hero"
another Jet Li movie....enjoyed it very much.

Those are good, but I like fight scenes done without wires. Last fight is the best in this sequence from Ong Bak...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzlQL2ybx80&feature=related

Watch in Full Screen mode. :cool:

William

Bruce K
06-21-2011, 04:54 PM
How about:

Eddie and the Cruisers

BK

Ozz
06-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Those are good, but I like fight scenes done without wires. Last fight is the best in this sequence from Ong Bak...

William
agreed, but the cinematography is what I really enjoyed....

Another one: "Alexander Nevsky"
pre-WWII Soviet propaganda overtones, but great images....the battle scene on the frozen lake is terrific.

"The film climaxes in the half-hour Battle of the Ice, propelled by Prokofiev's ominous, rousing, triumphant musical narrative, a sequence that has served as a model for epic movie battles ever since (e.g., Spartacus, The Empire Strikes Back). Valery Gergiev, the principal conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra, has stated his opinion that Prokofiev's music for this film is "the best ever composed for the cinema"."

MadRocketSci
06-21-2011, 05:02 PM

William

No wire-fu in Shaolin Temple

William
06-21-2011, 05:03 PM
No wire-fu in Shaolin Temple

Agreed. :beer:

William

Bud_E
06-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Morgan - David Warner and Vanessa Redgrave - A quirky British movie from the 60's. Several years ago I was in Century City and saw David Warner walking around. I said "Weren't you Morgan?" -- he was really nice about it - I think he liked being recognized.

Aaron O
06-21-2011, 05:17 PM
I didn't read every response, so forgive me if I'm duplicating -

Delicatessen - unquestionably my favorite movie about cannibalism. Hilarious French black comedy.

Blood Simple - The Coens first film - just a straight up brilliant piece of noir. Creepy, amazing acting and suspenseful.

A Simple Plan - Sam Raimi at his best - a morally ambiguous film with great performances...and themes you can relate to.

Stalingrad - the better ww2 film, but Das Boot gets all the attention.

The Hard Word - a very well done, stylish, heist film. I do love a good heist film.

Dark City - simply put, one of the most amazing visual films I've seen...great themes, great ending

Jacob's Ladder - he saw dead people before 6th Sense. An intense, well done film.

Miller's Crossing...another brilliant Coen film...awesome dialogue.

Once Upon a Time in America - the only gangster film that compares to Godfathers 1 and 2.

Employee of the Month - the one with Matt Dillon and Jenna Fischer - another very funny black comedy.

2LDK - brilliant Japanese comedy about warring roomates.

qjetha
06-21-2011, 05:22 PM
2. The Fall. Oh, The Fall. It's such a beautiful elegant movie that I don't really want to get into too much detail. If you rent it and do not like it, I will reimburse you for the rental charges. The first time most people see it they are absolutely captivated and don't believe what's happening. It was made by Tarsem Singh (The Cell) and stars Lee Pace and little girl and a bunch of heroes. Please watch it.

Such a good movie. If you haven't seen it, really do check it out. The visuals and music are amazing!!

Elefantino
06-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Old time swashbucklers:

Captain Blood
Adventures of Robin Hood
Ivanhoe
Against All Flags

BK
I prefer "The Sea Hawk" to "Against All Flags." He looked old and tired in the latter.

1centaur
06-21-2011, 07:09 PM
How about:

Eddie and the Cruisers

BK

OMG! I thought about mentioning that one but distinguished between "best" and "movies I really enjoyed watching multiple times."

Fixed
06-21-2011, 07:38 PM
russian ark; kabei, our mother
cheers

Dekonick
06-21-2011, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=William]Those are good, but I like fight scenes done without wires. Last fight is the best in this sequence from Ong Bak...

A comment from the peanut gallery : The last guy is clearly a master in the Object Throwing technique of the Angry Wife style.

I almost pissed myself laughing...

Great fight sequence too!

Birddog
06-21-2011, 08:38 PM
"Brewster McCloud" and "On Any Sunday"

mwaldhopkins
06-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Yeah, 'Y Tu Mama Tambien' is a great film. 'Amores Perros' is right up there too.

FlashUNC
06-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Friends of Eddie Coyle -- Fantastic 1970's Boston crime pic, Robert Mitchum is great.

The Way of the Gun -- either you're hooked in the first five minutes, or you're not. Still one of James Caan's best performances in my mind.

jimcav
06-22-2011, 02:26 PM
but also some that i would not associate with "best", but it is all subjective. But I'd like to add:
Old: 1) witness for the prosecution
2)freaks
Newer: 1) The professional (french version)
2) spring summer fall winter (korean)

spacemen3
06-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/beyond_the_valley_of_the_dolls/)
The Lives of Others (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lives_of_others/)
Mongol (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mongol/)
My Name is Nobody (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/my_name_is_nobody/)
Star 80 (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_80/)
Stroszek (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/stroszek/)
24 Hour Party People (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/24_hour_party_people/)

rugbysecondrow
06-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Friends of Eddie Coyle -- Fantastic 1970's Boston crime pic, Robert Mitchum is great.

The Way of the Gun -- either you're hooked in the first five minutes, or you're not. Still one of James Caan's best performances in my mind.

Great beginning to that movie...is it wrong that I have felt that way before?

FlashUNC
06-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Great beginning to that movie...is it wrong that I have felt that way before?

Depends. Are you Sarah Silverman screaming at the guys to get off the car, or Benecio del Toro and Ryan Phillipe looking to get into a fight?

Dekonick
06-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Can't believe Strange Brew has not been mentioned... slapstick comedy, but fun movie. Cult movie in its day... I am certain most of the younger crowd have not seen it.

Slapshot - another classic that many of the younger generation has never heard about much less seen...

Breaking Away... in any other crowd would be an unknown movie. Obviously a 'known' movie here....

+1 on the professional.

Ozz
06-22-2011, 03:35 PM
"Emperor of the North"

"Steers got horns, kid. You don't"

William
06-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Can't believe Strange Brew has not been mentioned... slapstick comedy, but fun movie. Cult movie in its day... I am certain most of the younger crowd have not seen it.

Slapshot - another classic that many of the younger generation has never heard about much less seen...

Breaking Away... in any other crowd would be an unknown movie. Obviously a 'known' movie here....

+1 on the professional.

These movies was shot in 3B - three beers - and it looks good, eh?

:beer: :D

William

chuckroast
06-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Take off eh, you hoser.....

Loved Strange Brew and Slap Shot

Dekonick
06-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Ku-- ku- ku- ku- ku- ku ku- kuuuuuu -ku ......

Len J
06-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Incendies. Recent film......in French w subtitles. Best movie I've seen in 5 years.

Harold & Maude.

Len

Bauch
06-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Lemans
Well, not a totally unknown movie, but unknown to many people today. No CGI, just real, pure racing. Filmed during the actual Lemans race that Steve McQueen actually raced in. Epic.

William

While Le Mans is an epic racing film, McQueen did not actually race at Le Sarthe. The footage is taken from the 1970 running of the race, but Mc Queen did not drive in that event. He did drive his Porsche 908 in the 12 Hours of Sebring and nearly won that event.

Jason E
06-22-2011, 07:24 PM

This was fantastic. I turned on the TV one night yeeeaars ago and HBO was on, and this was just starting. It was already past when I needed to be in bed, but I just needed the light to find the bathroom.

I watched the whole thing.

William
06-23-2011, 06:11 AM
Indian Summer.

Bill Paxton, Julie Warner, Kevin Pollak, Elizabeth Perkins, Vincent Spano, Matt Craven, Alan Arkin, Diane Lane, and Sam Raimi (yes, that SR). Kind of a sentimental/comedic film.

William

William
06-23-2011, 06:12 AM
While Le Mans is an epic racing film, McQueen did not actually race at Le Sarthe. The footage is taken from the 1970 running of the race, but Mc Queen did not drive in that event. He did drive his Porsche 908 in the 12 Hours of Sebring and nearly won that event.

Thanks, I did not know that.

William

oldguy00
06-23-2011, 06:28 AM
American Flyers. :)

R2D2
06-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Pi
Threads
The Lathe Of Heaven
The Right Stuff

rugbysecondrow
06-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Indian Summer.

Bill Paxton, Julie Warner, Kevin Pollak, Elizabeth Perkins, Vincent Spano, Matt Craven, Alan Arkin, Diane Lane, and Sam Raimi (yes, that SR). Kind of a sentimental/comedic film.

William

Yep, that is a good one as well.

firerescuefin
06-23-2011, 07:10 AM
Tom Hanks did a series similar to Band of Brothers for HBO in the late 90's called "From the Earth to the Moon" ....chronicalling stories from the advent of the Space Program to the last Apollo missions. It's not only worth seeing, it's worth owning....if you're into that sort of thing.

Back on topic...for our younger forum members out there, Fletch (Chevy Chase) is one of my all time favorites, and most of the younger guys I work with have never heard of it much less seen it.

R2D2
06-23-2011, 07:12 AM
American Flyers. :)
And to think the same guy did Breaking Away............
Quite a bit of difference.

mnoble485
06-23-2011, 08:22 AM
What was the movie in Scotland(?) where the guy with the winning lottery ticket died and the town pretended he was still alive? Great movie!

Also on the dark side...

Trainspotting
Sid and Nancy

Dekonick
06-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Trainspotting is awesome!

Another couple of movies for the younger folks:

Donnie Darko

Heathers

Ozz
06-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Tom Hanks did a series similar to Band of Brothers for HBO in the late 90's called "From the Earth to the Moon" ....chronicalling stories from the advent of the Space Program to the last Apollo missions. It's not only worth seeing, it's worth owning....if you're into that sort of thing. ....
I bought the series...very worthwhile watching...runs thru the whole Apollo program.

Ozz
06-23-2011, 10:22 AM
What was the movie in Scotland(?) where the guy with the winning lottery ticket died and the town pretended he was still alive? Great movie!...
"Waking Ned Devine"
It was set in Ireland and is freakin' hilarious..... :beer:

Good one!

Bobbo
06-23-2011, 10:24 AM
What are good movies out there that most folks may not have heard of? I'll throw one out for consideration....

Fandango
Kevin Costner, Judd Nelson, Sam Robards. This was before Costner got famous, and while Nelson was in the Brat Pack...so a little surprising he did it.

William

I'll throw in Target, 1985, Gene Hackman and Matt Dillon.

Fandango is an all-time fave; the Pat Metheny soundtrack against the images will make you swoon:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZpT_dKux3JE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/ZpT_dKux3JE

wooly
06-23-2011, 10:30 AM
A lot of great ones noted already. Not sure if many of you are fan's of martial arts films but I just watched "Ip Man" last night and it was one of the best ones I've seen. Granted I haven't been keeping up on them for the last 10 years but I was a huge Bruce Lee fan when I was a kid. What caught my attention was the high ratings it had on Netflix and Apple TV (85% Tomatoes). It's subtitled but it was a killer movie and not your typical action flick.

MadRocketSci
06-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Along the asian theme there are some good Hong Kong action movies, mostly with Chow Yun Fat before he did Crotch Tiger, Hide My Dragon, directed by John Woo:

The Killer
A Better Tomorrow 1,2,3

MadRocketSci
06-23-2011, 11:11 AM
I bought the series...very worthwhile watching...runs thru the whole Apollo program.

Speaking of series, HBO's Rome is one of the great marathon experiences on DVD....

And currently Game of Thrones, kinda slow for the first 6 episodes, the way the Fellowship of the Ring is slow for the first half while setting up middle earth history. High hopes for season two (or book 2 in the series) as all the setup/background is now out of the way.

bfd
06-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Wow, lots of great movies. I may have missed it, but did someone mention arguably one of the best cop movies out of Hong Kong - Infernal Affairs?

I'm not talking about the bad remix called The Departed by Martin Scorsese, and starred Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, and Mark Wahlberg - wow, what a cast, big $$$$

Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infernal_Affairs

Good Luck!

67-59
06-23-2011, 12:29 PM
He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not - It's in French so you have to read subtitles. It answers the question, how can a married man have an affair with a single woman while being a faithful husband?

Absolutely incredible movie!

Another one I like with the same lead actress (Audrey Tautou), but more well known, is Amelie.

Dekonick
06-23-2011, 12:30 PM
For series - Lonesome Dove. I thought the book was better, but this was an excellent translation.

Cop movies worth watching - younger folks probably not aware of them:

Serpico

Dirty Harry

67-59
06-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Surprised I haven't seen anybody mention either of these after 13 pages:

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Scoop

The latter was written and directed by Woody Allen, and he also plays a small part. I'm generally not a huge fan of his, but this movie - especially Allen's role - was hysterical.

Dekonick
06-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Absolutely incredible movie!

Another one I like with the same lead actress (Audrey Tautou), but more well known, is Amelie.

Both are great films. I mentioned Amelie earlier as it is more friendly to non-french speakers.

93legendti
06-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Eiger Sanction
Warriors
Thief
Kippur
The Castle
Glenn Gary, Glenn Ross

Aaron O
06-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Hilarious documentary - The King of Kong. I've never laughed so hard...the obsessions and evil machinations of arcade game fanatics.

crownjewelwl
06-23-2011, 02:20 PM
The Spinal Tap of rap music

dimsy
06-23-2011, 02:34 PM
A Single Man - Tom Ford

Cache - Michael Haneke

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie - Luis Bunuel

Fortress - an australian movie from the 80's. VERY good movie as a kid and as a grown up.

bironi
06-23-2011, 05:49 PM
"A Town Called Panic". Animation with humor at speed, don't blink.

danksteez
06-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Wristcutters: a love story

parris
06-23-2011, 08:40 PM
There have been a bunch of good one's listed.

Sahara there are 2 versions of this one the original with Bogart and a remake in the late 80's early 90's starring James Belushi. Belushi did a great job on this I thought.

12 O'clock High with Gregory Peck

White Heat with Cagney

The Magnificent Seven

The Great Escape

Big Jake

The Shootist

Cool Hand Luke "shakin it up here boss"! "Luke fetch the rifle".

anything by Mel Brooks!!!

There are a bunch more but these ones jumped out at me first.

Kontact
06-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Late entries: Two great movies starring the excellent Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Brick - classic film noir, in high school.

The Lookout - just awesome.

bironi
06-23-2011, 10:40 PM

Fandango

William

This thread needs a new name. My I suggest, "Going OT in the OT".

I have joined the Stickler. :beer:

Louis
06-24-2011, 12:54 AM
If you like French movies, then nearly anything with Jean-Louis Trintignant would probably apeal to the forumite crowd.

This is also a great collection of flicks, some super-obscure, some less so, but many of them great:

The Criterion Collection (http://www.criterion.com/library/expanded_view?m=dvd&p=1&s=spine)

(The short summaries are also a good resource when looking for interesting stuff.)

rounder
06-24-2011, 01:25 AM
It was an old movie from the 60s, but the first movie that ever sent me was That Man From Rio with Jean Paul Belmondo and Francoise Dorleac. It was all in French with subtitles and about a french army guy on leave who went to visit his girlfriend. There were kidnappings, travel to Brazilia, buried treasure and all that stuff. Francoise Dorleac was Catherine Deneuve's sister and beautiful.

torquer
06-24-2011, 10:14 AM
I haven't read all 14 pages of this thread, so forgive me if this one has already been mentioned, or if it isn't obscure enough:
The Usual Suspects with Kevin Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Chazz Palminteri:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114814/
Although described as "neo noir", with that title, I was expecting something much less noir. What I got was a sort of Hitchcock/Tarantino mash-up, but in a good way.

fiamme red
06-24-2011, 10:31 AM
If you like French movies, then nearly anything with Jean-Louis Trintignant would probably apeal to the forumite crowd.My favorite Trintignant movie stars another of my favorite actors, Vittorio Gassmann: Il Sorpasso (The Easy Life in the U.S.). Marvellous film.

Gassmann was a great comic actor, and Il Mattatore (Love and Larceny in the U.S.) is one of the funniest films I've seen.

FlashUNC
06-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Late entries: Two great movies starring the excellent Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

The Lookout - just awesome.

Brick is easily one of my Top Ten favorite movies. Astoundingly good.

Aaron O
06-24-2011, 10:48 AM
The Spinal Tap of rap music

Wouldn't CB4 be the Spinal Tap of rap?

Straight out of Low-Cash!

A lot of the movies listed are all time classics that everyone knows about and are about as underground as Bruce Springsteen.

cmg
06-24-2011, 11:18 AM

I forgot about that one. When someone says "they don't make them like they use too" i mention Brick.

rugbysecondrow
06-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Wouldn't CB4 be the Spinal Tap of rap?

Straight out of Low-Cash!

A lot of the movies listed are all time classics that everyone knows about and are about as underground as Bruce Springsteen.

What about Pootie Tang...very fun movie to watch.

"Baby, I'm going to sine your pitty on the runny kine! "

Waldo
06-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Tampopo - hilarious Japanese film skewers Japanese life on the quest for the perfect bowl of ramen.

Tampopo is awesome. Saw it three times. Will add

King of Hearts: Mostly in French; a touching comedy about insane asylum residents repopulating a French town, whose population fled advancing German troups during WWI.

The Party: A hilarious 1964 Peter Sellers flick in which he plays an Indian actor who unintentionally absolutely destroys a Hollywood party.

Louis
06-24-2011, 01:20 PM
The Usual Suspects with Kevin Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Chazz Palminteri

One of my all-time favorites.

And with Benicio del Toro.

henry14
06-25-2011, 03:05 AM
Oldboy (Korean film)

The Eel (Japanese film)

edward12
06-25-2011, 08:20 AM
The Duellists- Directed by Ridley Scott

Really great movie. It was based Joseph Conrad's short story, "A Point of Honor" which is also excellent.

echappist
06-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Once Upon a Time in America - the only gangster film that compares to Godfathers 1 and 2.

damn, it took 150 posts, but i'm glad that someone finally mentions it.

it's one of my favs, and unlike Godfather I & II, nothing is white washed or romanticized.

I briefly mentioned this movie to a female friend of mine regarding the iconic shot of Manhattan Bridge, and i think she might be interested in watching it. God help me when the movie turns to its third hour, during which many of the audience at Cannes simply walked out when it was originally screened.

Hawker
06-25-2011, 02:51 PM
damn, it took 150 posts, but i'm glad that someone finally mentions it.

it's one of my favs, and unlike Godfather I & II, nothing is white washed or romanticized.

I briefly mentioned this movie to a female friend of mine regarding the iconic shot of Manhattan Bridge, and i think she might be interested in watching it. God help me when the movie turns to its third hour, during which many of the audience at Cannes simply walked out when it was originally screened.

I liked Goodfellas...not sure exactly why? I like Pesci and DeNiro.

dnades
06-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Buckaroo Bonzai was fun.
The first Robocop.
Who Shot Roger Rabbit-animated
Purple Noon is terrific.
Quiet Earth
Wizards -animated

hard to think of little known flicks.

Hawker
06-27-2011, 09:51 PM
The Shawshank Redemption. A great film that struggled a bit initially because the name and the poster was somewhat confusing to movie goers.

dnades
06-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Once upon a time in the west by Sergio Leone. Probably the best western ever made. And he's made some good ones.

Aaron O
06-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Once upon a time in the west by Sergio Leone. Probably the best western ever made. And he's made some good ones.

He's the best...hands down.

How about the Leone tribute Sam Raimi made? The Quick and the Dead? It had its flaws (Sharon Stone), but still...it was a VERY fun movie with some really cool shoot em' up duel scenes.

djg
06-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Wow, lots of great movies. I may have missed it, but did someone mention arguably one of the best cop movies out of Hong Kong - Infernal Affairs?

I'm not talking about the bad remix called The Departed by Martin Scorsese, and starred Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, and Mark Wahlberg - wow, what a cast, big $$$$

Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infernal_Affairs

Good Luck!

Ouch, the Departed -- not good. Part of Scorcese's "I think I'll make some really bad movies with Leo DiCaprio" phase. Like Gangs of New Paltz -- accents from everywhere, including the Ron Howard movie Far & Away, in which Tom Cruise paid hommage to a lucky charms commercial.

cat6
06-29-2011, 12:07 AM
Some really great movies listed here; some I didn't see listed already but would recommend and are somewhat lesser known.

Sexy Beast- British gangster flick with deceiving title.

Children of Men- Sci-Fi without flying cars or CGI, dark, end of times type movie.

The American Astronaut- Space Western, Odd musical, recommended to Lynch or Jarmusch fans. (check out youtube clips for an idea of what I'm talking about)

Miracle Mile- 80's flick, campy, thriller.

zetroc
06-29-2011, 02:10 AM
Miracle Mile is indeed a good one, if a bit hokey at times. Having seen it tonight I'm going to add Suspiria by Dario Argento. Very creepy.

T-Crush
06-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Clearly on the Top Five list of best movies...

firerescuefin
06-29-2011, 06:52 PM
How did "Raising Arizona" not make it in here?

William
06-29-2011, 07:03 PM

Oh, certainly worthy! I just figured it as a movie most had heard of.

Ok, this is not a movie but I'll include it anyway...The Dana Carvey Show. Hilarious but only lasted two seasons...not because it sucked, but because he was trying so hard to piss off his sponsors. I could be wrong, but I think he got roped into it and didn't want to go up against his SNL chums so.... Spotted it on Netflix yesterday.

William

dnades
06-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Primer was a good low budget movie. Smartly done.

Aaron O
06-30-2011, 08:36 AM

I must be defining movies no one has heard of differently than others...because to me Raising Arizona is a very well known, influential comedy by well known film makers with a well known cast. As far as awesome movies, yeah...definitely belongs on the list. Most of the stuff listed here is stuff that anyone who is at all into movies is very familiar with.

firerescuefin
06-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Aaron...I completely agree, but many I talk to have never heard of it.

overmyhead
06-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Streets of Fire
Best Rock & Roll movie ever.
Michael Pare
Willam Defoe
Amy Madigan
Rick Moranis
And Diane Lane in her youth as Ellen Aim.
Also if you're a Blasters fan, they do two live numbers in the bar.

Bud_E
06-30-2011, 03:00 PM
That reminds me - "Rock 'n Roll High School" featuring The Ramones - awesome movie.

...also "Eating Raoul" - both movies with Mary Woronov and Paul Bartel. Wonderfully off the wall.

rpm
06-30-2011, 03:12 PM
A couple of good-hearted comedies:

--Kinky boots. True story about a traditional shoe company in England that hits hard times and saves itself by making boots for female impersonators.

--Deckchair Danny. An easy-going Australian construction worker despondent over his wife chasing a smarmy newscaster ties balloons to his lawn chair, sails over Sydney and off to a new life.

avalonracing
06-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Ringing in late here... I edited and meant to post this last weekend when I was sick. Sure many of you have seen some of these but I know that there are very few of you that have seen them all. Of course there are many other movies that I love but these are some films that are likely to be new to some of you without being too obscure. If the idea of any of these films interest you try it out, you won't be disappointed.

-------
Being John Malkcovich- Screenplays don’t get much more original than this

The Best Years of Our Lives- A movie from the 1940’s that deals with the backlash of WWII in a light that isn’t always pretty or heroic

Blood Simple- The first movie from the Cohen Brothers. Filmed on a small budget, it packs more suspense and better acting than 99% of most Hollywood films. It has a scene without dialog that goes on for minutes on end and you just can’t turn away

Chaplin- Robert Downey was in his early 20’s when he did this. He plays Charlie Chaplin from teens to his 70’s and you forget that it is the same actor. After watching it you’ll think that he showed the promise to be one of the greatest actors ever if he wasn’t derailed by addiction for a couple of decades.

Das Boot- THE best submarine movie ever!

Defending Your Life- A silly yet touching movie about the afterlife

Dogma- This movie shows that writer/director Kevin Smith is much smarter than anyone thinks that he is. It also shows that he knows his religion well enough to make fun of it very well.

Drugstore Cowboy- To be really engaged with a film you have to care about what happens to the characters. Despite being about a bunch of drug addicted petty criminals you really care about what happens to them

Gaslight- A classic movie about how to mess with someone’s pretty head

Giant- An epic that is a great way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon

The Great Santini- In this film Robert Duvall is the most unlikable guy that you ever felt sorry for

His Girl Friday- This film has so much speedy dialog it makes current films seem like the actors are on Valium... Maybe they are

Inherit the Wind- Based on the famous Scopes Monkey Trial this film will make you sad that we are still arguing its subject material

I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang (1932)- Based on a true story this film helped prison reform. Many later movies like Cool Hand Luke took much from this film.

A Life Less Ordinary- I don’t know what to call this Danny Boyle (Trainspotting) film other than a fantastic, modern romance fantasy. A lot of fun.

The Lost Weekend- For its day it was a terribly realistic look at alcoholism

Meet Joe Doe- Gary Cooper and a beautiful, young Barbra Stanwyck make this film of conscience work

Metropolis (1927)- An amazing look at the future for its day. An epic silent film that is great to watch for its design and scale.

One Hour Photo- A gorgeously photographed film with a haunting soundtrack. Robin Williams is a much better dramatic actor than comedic actor.

Ordinary People- An intense family drama that was cast perfectly

Out of Africa- Another perfect film. Meryl Streep’s acting is as stunning as the cinematography and the epic story is perfectly paced

The Player- A very fun look at Hollywood. Lots of “in jokes”

Quiz Show- Ralph Fiennes plays the protagonist with such empathy. A true story.

Rear Window- You wouldn’t think that watching small vignettes of peoples’ lives in little tiny boxes would be interesting… It’s not. It’s fascinating.

Run Lola Run- Think you’d enjoy watching the same event unfold three times? This exciting German film will make you wish it were five times.

Sin City- I usually hate lost of post production effects but this is visually stunning.

That Thing You Do- Tom Hanks wrote and produced this. It’s just good, clean fun

To Kill a Mockingbird- Why can’t the world have more men like Atticus Finch?

Twelve Angry Men- This film should be required viewing by anyone who will ever sit jury duty. 99% of this perfect film takes place in one room... yet movies today cost $100 million to make. It’s a sad comment on modern filmmaking.

Urban Cowboy- John Travolta was a true movie star. This movie shows why

The Women (1939)- Sharp, stylized and very dated in content… in a good way

Aaron O
06-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Ringing in late here... I edited and meant to post this last weekend when I was sick. Sure many of you have seen some of these but I know that there are very few of you that have seen them all. Of course there are many other movies that I love but these are some films that are likely to be new to some of you without being too obscure. If the idea of any of these films interest you try it out, you won't be disappointed.

-------
Being John Malkcovich- Screenplays don’t get much more original than this

The Best Years of Our Lives- A movie from the 1940’s that deals with the backlash of WWII in a light that isn’t always pretty or heroic

Blood Simple- The first movie from the Cohen Brothers. Filmed on a small budget, it packs more suspense and better acting than 99% of most Hollywood films. It has a scene without dialog that goes on for minutes on end and you just can’t turn away

Chaplin- Robert Downey was in his early 20’s when he did this. He plays Charlie Chaplin from teens to his 70’s and you forget that it is the same actor. After watching it you’ll think that he showed the promise to be one of the greatest actors ever if he wasn’t derailed by addiction for a couple of decades.

Das Boot- THE best submarine movie ever!

Defending Your Life- A silly yet touching movie about the afterlife

Dogma- This movie shows that writer/director Kevin Smith is much smarter than anyone thinks that he is. It also shows that he knows his religion well enough to make fun of it very well.

Drugstore Cowboy- To be really engaged with a film you have to care about what happens to the characters. Despite being about a bunch of drug addicted petty criminals you really care about what happens to them

Gaslight- A classic movie about how to mess with someone’s pretty head

Giant- An epic that is a great way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon

The Great Santini- In this film Robert Duvall is the most unlikable guy that you ever felt sorry for

His Girl Friday- This film has so much speedy dialog it makes current films seem like the actors are on Valium... Maybe they are

Inherit the Wind- Based on the famous Scopes Monkey Trial this film will make you sad that we are still arguing its subject material

I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang (1932)- Based on a true story this film helped prison reform. Many later movies like Cool Hand Luke took much from this film.

A Life Less Ordinary- I don’t know what to call this Danny Boyle (Trainspotting) film other than a fantastic, modern romance fantasy. A lot of fun.

The Lost Weekend- For its day it was a terribly realistic look at alcoholism

Meet Joe Doe- Gary Cooper and a beautiful, young Barbra Stanwyck make this film of conscience work

Metropolis (1927)- An amazing look at the future for its day. An epic silent film that is great to watch for its design and scale.

One Hour Photo- A gorgeously photographed film with a haunting soundtrack. Robin Williams is a much better dramatic actor than comedic actor.

Ordinary People- An intense family drama that was cast perfectly

Out of Africa- Another perfect film. Meryl Streep’s acting is as stunning as the cinematography and the epic story is perfectly paced

The Player- A very fun look at Hollywood. Lots of “in jokes”

Quiz Show- Ralph Fiennes plays the protagonist with such empathy. A true story.

Rear Window- You wouldn’t think that watching small vignettes of peoples’ lives in little tiny boxes would be interesting… It’s not. It’s fascinating.

Run Lola Run- Think you’d enjoy watching the same event unfold three times? This exciting German film will make you wish it were five times.

Sin City- I usually hate lost of post production effects but this is visually stunning.

That Thing You Do- Tom Hanks wrote and produced this. It’s just good, clean fun

To Kill a Mockingbird- Why can’t the world have more men like Atticus Finch?

Twelve Angry Men- This film should be required viewing by anyone who will ever sit jury duty. 99% of this perfect film takes place in one room... yet movies today cost $100 million to make. It’s a sad comment on modern filmmaking.

Urban Cowboy- John Travolta was a true movie star. This movie shows why

The Women (1939)- Sharp, stylized and very dated in content… in a good way
Coen* Brothers. Sorry...I'm anal.

MadRocketSci
06-30-2011, 06:23 PM
chick-flicky yet very well acted - Remains of the Day

Pervy yet deep in character study - Talk to Her (Pedro Almadovar)

bironi
07-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Aaron O,

Thanks for the King of Kong recommendation. My wife and I enjoyed it.

Avalonracing,

A good list for the most part, but that Tom Hanks movie "That Thing You Do" was a real bore.

Aaron O
07-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Aaron O,

Thanks for the King of Kong recommendation. My wife and I enjoyed it.

Avalonracing,

A good list for the most part, but that Tom Hanks movie "That Thing You Do" was a real bore.

Glad you liked it! King of Kong is hilarious...the part where the guy describes himself as controversial, like abortion, was one of the most funny pieces of self delusion I'd ever seen. Also...the scene where they talk about the Guiness Book of World Records, and the guy's daughter opines that some people would ruin their whole lives to be in there, was PRICELESS.

avalonracing
07-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Aaron O,

Hey, I said it was "Good, clean fun"... Not Saving Private Ryan. I stand by it. It's a movie that you can watch with your kids or your mother-in-law that doesn't have talking dogs, talking cars or Johnny Depp in it.

mgd
07-17-2011, 10:50 AM
teeth.

funny movie. no budget horror movie with a twist. sort of felt like what a troma movie would be if it had a brain and a sense of humor.

djg
07-17-2011, 11:30 AM
So, just a few off the cuff:

Pow Wow Highway -- not great by any means, but engaging and different and touching.

Anybody mention Near Dark? Good vampire flick (early Kathryn Bigelow feature).

Honorable mention to John Carpenter for best trailer for a vampire movie ever. Dark screen. Ominous music. Suddenly, huge blood red letters flash on the screen: VAMPIRES. Then dark again. More ominous music. Then suddenly the huge red letters again: NO INTERVIEWS. Dark again. JUST VAMPIRES. Ok, maybe you had to be there.

Eight Men Out -- probably not nearly obscure enough for "nobody's ever heard of" it -- I mean, it's a John Sayles movie -- but heartbreaking in a period movie way and I thought it worked.

In its way: John Woo's The Replacement Killers. Script . . . er, whatever, it's a shoot-em-up plus martial arts action flick and the talking mostly functions to sketch the cartoon story and help bridge the audio in between sound effects and music, but the editing is great and the shots are great and . . . I dunno . . . I'd say it's beautiful.

MadRocketSci
07-18-2011, 02:41 PM
One more: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - based on true story.

ABCDEFG
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQR
ABCDE
A
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRST

ABCDEF
ABCDEFGHI
ABCDEFGHIJKL
ABCDEFGHIJKLM

Louis
07-18-2011, 05:02 PM
ABCDEFG
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQR
ABCDE
A
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRST

ABCDEF
ABCDEFGHI
ABCDEFGHIJKL
ABCDEFGHIJKLM

Clever ;)

William
10-06-2011, 08:48 PM
The Big Blue. The "version longue" with out the U.S. ending.....which is pretty corny.

William

Fixed
10-06-2011, 08:57 PM
The Big Blue.

William
i liked that free diving

here is one ugetsu i think you would like it
cheers

William
10-06-2011, 09:05 PM
i liked that free diving

here is one ugetsu i think you would like it
cheers

Thanks Butch, I just read up on this movie and I will take a look.

William

Jeff N.
10-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Frogs.

CunegoFan
10-06-2011, 11:56 PM
Get Carter -- Love Michael Caine movies from that era, like The Italian Job, Sleuth, The Man Who Would Be King, etc. The Billion Dollar Brain is hilarious when viewed as a parody of the Texas conservatism of GW Bush.

Mr. Brooks -- Kevin Costner as a serial killer. What more could you ask for?

Danger: Diabolik -- Fun 60s italian style.

Decent low budget horror films I have seen recently:

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
Dead Snow
Black Death
Lesbian Vampire Killers
The House of the Devil
Evil Aliens
Dead Birds
Pontypool
The Burrowers
Infestation

Okay, I like cheesy but not so great movies. I'll get my hat...

slowandsteady
10-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Antwone Fisher - A Denzel Washington film that never seemed to make it big. It is a powerful and wonderful movie for adults, family, friends and kids 9 and up (with a little help understanding some of the relationship details).

Watch it. I PROMISE you will not be dissappointed!

slowandsteady
10-07-2011, 09:45 AM
The Big Blue. The "version longue" with out the U.S. ending.....which is pretty corny.
William

If you liked The Big Blue (and I did) and are interested in this sort of free diving and the mentality of deep/free diving there is a wonderful book for you to read. Last of the Blue Water Hunters by Carlos Eyles. Now out of print but you can find it if you look around. It was the bible of free diving for many years and is about the mentality and techniques used for these endeavors but from a sport fishing standpoint not contests...where it all began in the 40 and 50's out in the california kelp beds and bluewater off the coast hunting for giant tuna, white sea bass, abalone, 20lb lobster, sailfish and shark with nothing more than fins, snorkel, mask your wits and a speargun.

MadeinGermany
10-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Have to recommend a German movie. Keinohrhasen (English title: Rabbits Without Ears ),lit: No Ear Rabbits, written, produced and directed by Til Schweiger and starring Nora Tschirner. A hilarious comedy, albeit not available in English.

MadRocketSci
10-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Sex drive

Laughed way more than I thought I would

malcolm
10-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Like frogs for snakes

purple violets

lucky number slevin

thursday -- I think already mentioned

edmond- william h macy

hard eight