PDA

View Full Version : DT hub to pre-built wheel comparisons

d_douglas
06-20-2011, 02:56 AM
I am thinking of starting my search for a set of Campy compatible DT240 / ????? wheels, and have seen that there are many many pre-built DT wheelsets going for much less money. I know that at some point, the quality is not as good, but at what point in the heirarchy of the pre-builts does DT use their own actual DT240 hubsets?

If it is at the point where the cost = the cost of a handbuilt set of DT240s/ Velocity A23s, then I would rather have the handbuilts, but if the R1800s or similar use the nice hubs, maybe it is worth it to buy these instead.

Thanks for any information,
Darren

oldpotatoe
06-20-2011, 07:42 AM
I am thinking of starting my search for a set of Campy compatible DT240 / ????? wheels, and have seen that there are many many pre-built DT wheelsets going for much less money. I know that at some point, the quality is not as good, but at what point in the heirarchy of the pre-builts does DT use their own actual DT240 hubsets?

If it is at the point where the cost = the cost of a handbuilt set of DT240s/ Velocity A23s, then I would rather have the handbuilts, but if the R1800s or similar use the nice hubs, maybe it is worth it to buy these instead.

Thanks for any information,
Darren

Low spoke count wheels with white rims and hubs that weigh 1800 grams...how much are they on the interweb?

d_douglas
06-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Hi Peter:

I m not sure of the cost on the web, but I am hoping for all black and stealth. I actually have a thing against white wheels - dumb colour choice!

I'm in Europe and I saw a pair of what appears to have white hubs and black rims - R1800 takeoffs for 240euro - that's about $350US, I believe. Are these DT240 hubs?

R1900s? All black, but I think the hubs are of a lesser quality.

Hmmmmm.... I have a hangup about DT rims for some reason - I prefer Ambrosio or Mavic. I know the DTs are good quality, but for some reason I don't like them. I'm wrong, aren't I?

Thanks,

DD

tuscanyswe
06-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Without any knowledge about the particular wheel i think the number relates to the weight. So an 1800g wheelset from dt probably do not have the 240 hubs since i think they would turn out lighter? Perhaps flawed logic but that would be my guess.

Edit: + in dts catalogue the hub description changes at the R 1500 level. 1700/1800/1900 all have "Two pawl freewheel system" listed on hub description whilst the 1500 has "DT Swiss ratchet system" listed. So i would guess this is the level when 240s come in to play.

oldpotatoe
06-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Hi Peter:

I m not sure of the cost on the web, but I am hoping for all black and stealth. I actually have a thing against white wheels - dumb colour choice!

I'm in Europe and I saw a pair of what appears to have white hubs and black rims - R1800 takeoffs for 240euro - that's about $350US, I believe. Are these DT240 hubs?

R1900s? All black, but I think the hubs are of a lesser quality.

Hmmmmm.... I have a hangup about DT rims for some reason - I prefer Ambrosio or Mavic. I know the DTs are good quality, but for some reason I don't like them. I'm wrong, aren't I?

Thanks,

DD

Yes you are...just kidding but about the rims. DT are the flattest, roundest and easiest to build rims I have ever seen, period. Ambrosio are nice but hard to find in the US..Mavic, particularly the OpenPro is a distant, DISTANT 3rd or 4th choice. Noisy wedge, noisy eyelets, lesser quality when new.