PDA

View Full Version : Tommy D

firerescuefin
06-19-2011, 03:01 PM
I am very excited that he will get his first Tour invite this year with Garmin-Cervelo. He is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.....maybe too nice for the Pro Tour. Physiologically he is a freak. Seems like he is getting the mental game together. Would really like to see him ride for a better DS. Rode a great TT today at the TdS and is probably the strongest Garmin guy right now. Hopefully, this is a turning point for his career.

GO TOMMY D :beer:

steampunk
06-19-2011, 03:07 PM
great watching his aggressive riding at the TdS.

e-RICHIE
06-19-2011, 03:30 PM
<snip> Would really like to see him ride for a better DS. <cut>

he has already (with petacchi, flecha, and fabian as teammates) atmo - ferretti.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool: :rolleyes: ;)
;) :cool: :rolleyes:
:o :D :)

Vientomas
06-19-2011, 03:35 PM
great watching his aggressive riding at the TdS.

Agreed. I had to do a double take on a couple of occasions because I could not believe it was actually Tommy D. Not a bad ITT today either. Hope he keeps it together for the Tour.

Chris
06-19-2011, 04:13 PM
The only real question will be what the mystery diagnosis that keeps him from performing this year will be. Giardia? Nope used that one. Chronic Fatigue? Check. Inuit? Yep. What? Wait...

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-19-2011, 04:58 PM
:beer: I am very excited that he will get his first Tour invite this year with Garmin-Cervelo. He is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.....maybe too nice for the Pro Tour. Physiologically he is a freak. Seems like he is getting the mental game together. Would really like to see him ride for a better DS. Rode a great TT today at the TdS and is probably the strongest Garmin guy right now. Hopefully, this is a turning point for his career.

GO TOMMY D :beer:

echappist
06-20-2011, 08:10 PM
The only real question will be what the mystery diagnosis that keeps him from performing this year will be. Giardia? Nope used that one. Chronic Fatigue? Check. Inuit? Yep. What? Wait...

hahaha. On a few other sites, there are "Tommy D Injury Watch Threads."

i hope he does well.

rustychisel
06-20-2011, 10:12 PM
I hope he does well but I can't help thinking you've got your eggs in the wrong basket.

TD strikes me as not a Grand Tour kind of guy.

Johnnyg
06-21-2011, 08:13 AM
I got to ride with him in Florida last winter. A very nice guy, easy to talk with. Wow he is a tinny guy, 135 I believe. I wish him well.

MattTuck
06-21-2011, 08:26 AM

Aren't his knees also a constant problem? :rolleyes:

firerescuefin
06-21-2011, 09:20 AM
I work/train with one of the Garmin physios, who is Tommys as well. He has legitimately battled physical issues as well as personal demons off the bike. As far as the Grand Tour snipe, he has won a grand tour stage and has done well at the Vuelta...so perhaps your research is a little lacking. He does have a history of performing well under expectations/"hype".

My opinion FWIW is that JV has completely mishandled him the last 4 years. It would be interesting to see him ride for someone like Riis (Phil Jackson type), who has a history of motivating/getting the most out of his team and riders.....kind of like the bizzaro JV.

Anyhow, my expectations aren't super high, but I am certainly pulling for him, because he is truly one of the good guys.

rustychisel
06-21-2011, 07:05 PM
... As far as the Grand Tour snipe, he has won a grand tour stage and has done well at the Vuelta...so perhaps your research is a little lacking. ...

Was that aimed at me? It wasn't a snipe, it was an observation, so your imputation that more research is needed is based on false premise.

I like TD and think of him similarly to D Cunego, he's not really set up for 3 weeks hammering on the roads of Europe and if he was fully race-fit he does well in some one day races and shorter events. Grand Tours; he always seems to have a couple of bad days on the bike, at least. I wish him well.

Climb01742
06-21-2011, 07:10 PM
TD and cadel evans seem alike to me: much talent but perhaps a bit 'fragile'.

firerescuefin
06-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Was that aimed at me? It wasn't a snipe, it was an observation, so your imputation that more research is needed is based on false premise.

I like TD and think of him similarly to D Cunego, he's not really set up for 3 weeks hammering on the roads of Europe and if he was fully race-fit he does well in some one day races and shorter events. Grand Tours; he always seems to have a couple of bad days on the bike, at least. I wish him well.

3 top 10 tens and a victory in Grand Tours doesn't exactly disqualify you as a Grand Tour rider....so your conclusion that he can't ride a good grand tour is based on what exactly?

Fragile, overated, hasn't met expectations....all earned, but he has the tools. At 33, his career isn't over, but the time is now. I am wishing him the best.

Fixed
06-21-2011, 07:56 PM
i wish him luck hope he wins big
our gladiators
pro bike racers are a tough bunch
imho
cheers