PDA

View Full Version : Way OT...booties for dogs

Kingfisher
06-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Anyone have any experience with dog booties for their dogs..specifically for outside, rough terrain for larger dogs...golden retrievers

Willy
06-19-2011, 01:20 PM
We got REI ones for our labadoddle when he messed up his paws running on pavement. Just used them for a week when he was outside. Worked ok - not sure they would last very long though.

sbparker31
06-19-2011, 01:23 PM
I never put booties on my dog, but in Moab when you are riding on the slick rock, you see some dogs, and nearly all of them have booties. That slick rock really tears up their paws. The booties I've seen tend to be securely tied on. I think how well they work depends on the dog. If I tried to put them on my dog, she would have sat right down and proceeded to chew them off. Goldens are more mellow though, probably would work fine.

rphetteplace
06-19-2011, 01:24 PM
we've had good luck with the ruffwear ones for our goldens. One of them had problems with his feet freezing in snow and this completely elimated that. he always pranced in them like he was proud of his little red booties :)

CNY rider
06-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Our golden gets frozen paws when it is 5F or lower outside.
She is my XC ski buddy so I have to keep her happy and healthy in the cold.
I get booties from dogbooties dot com.
They are very minimalist, not expensive and work great.
If you ski with your dog or spend a lot of time outside you will definitely lose some. Buy at least 6.

yetitotheheady
06-20-2011, 03:33 AM
I hear that some dogs initially hate them and want to chew them off right away but with a little time they get used to wearing them. Its just like a dog getting used to a collar/leash it will bother them for a bit until they get used to it.

rice rocket
06-20-2011, 04:11 AM
This is all I can think of when I see booties:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBoBoeWi-Tg

;)

I've never had to put booties on my pup, but I let her roam around in the woods on a daily basis. Her paws are probably well adapted to the area.

bigreen505
06-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Neopaws. Sold in pairs since most dogs have different size paws front and back. Ruffwear would be second choice.

Wilkinson4
06-20-2011, 08:56 PM
First time I put booties my dog was pretty hilarious. He didn't quite know what to make if em and got all stiff and started walking like Frankendog.

mIKE

moran
06-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Make sure you put'em on tight if you are buying them for the winter/snow. We bought some for our golden, put them on, and they came right off when she jumped in her first snow bank!