PDA

View Full Version : campagnolo ultra torque alloy crank arm modification

bicycletricycle
06-19-2011, 10:31 AM
i just got some veloce alloy ultra torque cranks. they came with the cheaper stamped rings. Because of the hidden bolt design it made upgrading the rings to a nicer (thicker) ring impossible. Luckily I have access to a mill. I machined off .020" from the platform the rings bolt to on the back of the crank arm and now both thicker campy rings and TA horus rings work fine. If anyone need this done to their crank arms let me know, it was pretty easy.

ultraman6970
06-19-2011, 10:38 AM
HI, what do you mean chain rings too thick?? The bolts are too short of something?? Have not seen any of those stamped versions so just want to find out the differences.

Thanks.

oliver1850
06-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks for making us aware of the difference in ring thickness. I have Veloce UT cranks but never thought about measuring the ring thickness. I would have assumed that the machined rings were the same.

Ultraman: The problem is with the big ring. Since 4 contact points are on one side of the ring, and the 5th is on the other, the thickness of the ring must match the resulting gap. This is the same issue that was talked about a week or so ago relating to the shims on the 5th bolt. In the case of replacing the Veloce rings with Centaur/Chorus/Record, material must be removed from the 5th arm mounting pad to allow the chainring to be mounted.

ultraman6970
06-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Only campagnolo!

bicycletricycle
06-20-2011, 07:59 PM
exactly right, would have been nice if they machined them all for the thicker rings and added a spacer for the thin stamped rings.

Thanks for making us aware of the difference in ring thickness. I have Veloce UT cranks but never thought about measuring the ring thickness. I would have assumed that the machined rings were the same.

Ultraman: The problem is with the big ring. Since 4 contact points are on one side of the ring, and the 5th is on the other, the thickness of the ring must match the resulting gap. This is the same issue that was talked about a week or so ago relating to the shims on the 5th bolt. In the case of replacing the Veloce rings with Centaur/Chorus/Record, material must be removed from the 5th arm mounting pad to allow the chainring to be mounted.

thinpin
06-20-2011, 08:50 PM

thinpin
06-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Ive encountered the problem before but abandoned the whole thing and got another crankarm. I like to keep all my stuff compatible and interchanable (one never knows who might drop in and borrow a bike). I assume using a file would achieve the same result (eventually)