PDA

View Full Version : Things that show up on eBay...

rice rocket
06-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Out of all the things I've seen, this is probably the most outrageous...

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqIOKiwE3D+u91-(BN6!MNE3HQ~~_3.JPG

sbparker31
06-18-2011, 10:11 PM
This is clearly a bike for a circus bear. Bears have extremely short forearms proportionally, and very poor hip flexibility, thus the extremely high headtube extension and extremely short stem.

OR

It is a bike for a chopper rider turned cyclist who was used to riding with ape hangers, and had to improvise.

PoppaWheelie
06-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Maybe for someone who likes to stand on the seat?

rice rocket
06-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Haha.

I'm usually of the opinion of "ride what makes you happy", but this can't ride properly...

44 cm bars, 49cm frame. Circus bear might be right... ;)

TAW
06-18-2011, 10:31 PM
How could you even shift with your hands on the hoods? It seems to me that there are bikes designed more specifically for people who desire this type of fit.

thinpin
06-19-2011, 12:01 AM
How could you even shift with your hands on the hoods? It seems to me that there are bikes designed more specifically for people who desire this type of fit.
..type of misfit!

GuyGadois
06-19-2011, 12:16 AM
At that point I think you just ride recumbent.

pavel
06-19-2011, 01:59 AM
that made me laugh. sweet freak bike.

Louis
06-19-2011, 02:23 AM
I have in my possesion a picture of a bike belonging to a buddy of mine at work that has that one beat by a mile. However, I just can't bring myself to post it. He's a good guy and does not deserve the abuse that would certainly be heaped on him and the bike.

The way I see it, if that's what it takes to get him out and riding, then great. I've told him that he needs a "real" bike, but he considers himself a tinkerer and gets lots of pleasure from fooling around with his design. As long as he's happy, I'm happy for him. :bike:

BumbleBeeDave
06-19-2011, 07:05 AM
We know absolutely nothing about the owner of this bike. He/she may have physical deformities or disabilities we know absolutely nothing about.

If this arrangement allows someone to ride who would otherwise never enjoy the pleasure of cycling while meeting the definition of what is physically comfortable--or even possible--for them, then we should respect that and just be glad they can go out and ride.

BBD

FlashUNC
06-19-2011, 08:16 AM
We know absolutely nothing about the owner of this bike. He/she may have physical deformities or disabilities we know absolutely nothing about.

If this arrangement allows someone to ride who would otherwise never enjoy the pleasure of cycling while meeting the definition of what is physically comfortable--or even possible--for them, then we should respect that and just be glad they can go out and ride.

BBD

All fair points. I'm just curious what circumstances lead to, well, that.

rugbysecondrow
06-19-2011, 08:23 AM

BBD

Agree with you Dave.

I would be curious about the stability/strength of the fork tube with length of the steer tube and the stem at the tip top.

ultraman6970
06-19-2011, 09:44 AM
DOnt see why it should from somebody with deformities, some people just buy expensive stuff to set it up just like a cheap dept. store flat bar.

From the size, saddle and bars could be an old lady that pretty much likes what she wants and the mechanic or the husband just give her what she wanted.

Looks awefull tho.

Z3c
06-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Stop making fun of my new bike; I was just looking for something a bit more upright..

rugbysecondrow
06-19-2011, 10:07 AM
DOnt see why it should from somebody with deformities, some people just buy expensive stuff to set it up just like a cheap dept. store flat bar.

From the size, saddle and bars could be an old lady that pretty much likes what she wants and the mechanic or the husband just give her what she wanted.

Looks awefull tho.

If it is an old lady, wouldn't that be a physical limitation necessitating a compromise?

I remember a photo of a Serotta that was posted a year or so ago that was custom for an older guy, 75-80 year old if I remember. It was pretty wacky looking, but the dude was riding still and that is what he needed.

TAW
06-19-2011, 12:07 PM

BBD

We should all be glad when someone gets out and rides no matter what their limitations. I think the point is that there are a variety of different bike frames which are much better suited to an upright position than to take a road bike like this and try to adapt it. Even in an upright position, this bike would not be comfortable for someone to ride.

sbparker31
06-19-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm telling you, it's for a bear. Study the picture below, and you can easily imagine the bike would be a perfect setup for a bear.

firerescuefin
06-19-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm telling you, it's for a bear. Study the picture below, and you can easily imagine the bike would be a perfect setup for a bear.

I was thinking a T-rex :rolleyes:

Some people are taking this a little too seriously.

Make Honey, Not War :beer:

sbparker31
06-19-2011, 01:27 PM
I was thinking a T-rex :rolleyes:

Some people are taking this a little too seriously.

Make Honey, Not War :beer:

I can certainly see how it would probably work for a T-Rex, but they hadn't figured out how to weld titanium in the Jurassic period. If it were for a T-Rex, it would have been a steel bike, probably not even cromoly.