PDA

View Full Version : duh!

thwart
06-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Well, some days... :rolleyes:

Challenge ride today, the HorriblyHillyHundreds. We've had a fair amount of unpredictable weather lately around here, and last night the TV and internet forecasts for this morning were for scattered showers. So at ~ 10 PM I got busy changing over from my carbon rims to alloys, brake change and all (50 mph descents in the rain with carbon rims... no, thank you).

This morning we're mounting my bike on my buddy's carrier when it falls off. Quick lookover, everything's OK. A lucky break.

FWIW, it was great weather, they blew the forecast. :beer:

First climb. I can't shift up higher than the 3rd cog from the top, and even then the RD is tickling the spokes. Yep---bent hanger. So I pull over and do some 'Samurai wrenching' and bend the thing back by hand. Rest of the ride goes well, but I'm getting weird shifting in the bigger gears... but the climbing end of the cassette is shifting fine. OK... I pass it off to the hanger still being off.

Nope. Never let idiots work on your bike. :crap:

oliver1850
06-18-2011, 05:09 PM
sorry Tom. At least it didn't rain. Another reason I avoid hauling the bike anywhere. I've got 2 frames messed up by carriers, and I don't even own one. This should give you some justification for an addition to the stable.

thwart
06-18-2011, 05:16 PM
No, I was actually lucky... the only damage was the RD hanger, and it's pretty damn square now (roadside repair might be a better setting for my mechanical skills than on a stand in my garage).

But check out the cassette cogs... not the installation Campy recommends for the ultimate in drivetrain performance.

sbparker31
06-18-2011, 05:24 PM
The cogs make perfect sense. So lets say you are ready for a major sprint finish. You are in 14 -- drop to 13 -- your legs are getting warmed up -- time for the big finish -- drop to 15!!! -- now you legs are spinning like crazy -- drop to 12 and lay a patch of rubber as you blow by everyone to the finish.

regularguy412
06-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Bikes Go Inside

Several years ago, a friend of mine was going to a race at Land Between the Lakes in southern Kentucky. I had raced there, myself, on two previous occasions. The 'short cut' on the drive to the venue takes you through a short tunnel. The tunnel under the road above was apparently made around the Civil War era. Needless to say, bikes on a roof rack on top of a mini-van and low overhangs do not play well. The bad news: according to his insurance agent, anything not carried inside a vehicle is not considered 'cargo'. Hence, neither the bikes nor the rack were covered. The crushed-in top of the van was covered. Luckily, I was not going to that race with the group; so my bike was not one that was damaged. However since then, my bike always goes inside the vehicle. It's a bit of a pain to take off both wheels, but the whole thing can then fit inside the trunk.

Glad your bike and you are OK. The pic reminds me of one person's claim of what Jens Voigt's cassette looked like , 11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-12.:D

Mike in AR:beer:

chuckroast
06-18-2011, 07:48 PM
It's like looking at an Escher print....