PDA

View Full Version : Some disc cross questions

A1CKot
06-18-2011, 01:33 PM
I just won a Seven disc cross frame on the bay and need some help planning the build.

So I need a need a disc fork and I want it to have fender and rack mounts. I was thinking about a Wound Up but does it have fender and rack mounts? Are the Avid BB7 the only choice for brakes?

My other questions concern my group choice. Are there any Campy 11 compatible disc wheels? What kind of gearing would you go with? Also did Campagnolo ever make Athena ultra levers in silver?

Pictures and build to come...

tuscanyswe
06-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Congrats on a nice frame! I love disc crossbikes. Im guess this was the blue steel version i saw on the bay?

Wound up does have or atleast used to have the optional rack and fender mounts on the cross forks.

Dt 240s disc hubs can be made to campy with a regular 240 road hub body, or so ive heard... I would assume this would work with the 340 hubs aswell if want something cheaper.

Id do a compact crank with a 27 in the rear but depends on the type of riding you have planned. I usually have a cross for city use during the winter and for that i like 1x10 but its fairly flat here.

A1CKot
06-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Wound Up's website says the forks can be had with fender eyelets and I feel that this is going to be the best and most expensive way to go.

I'm really struggling with wheels though. I may just need to find a wheel builder to help with this one.

Other than that, I just need to wait for the frame and confirm all the measurements and start the fun part ;). I think I might blow the budget...

fourflys
06-18-2011, 07:26 PM
take a look at 29er wheels... maybe a set if Mavics with the Campy freehub?

dschlichting
06-18-2011, 08:24 PM
I just finished a build of an IF Independence with disc brakes. FWIW, had the rear built to 135mm. Anyhow have the DT 240s and using Record 11. No issues at all. LBS ordered the hub and the replacement Campy mechanism, exactly as noted in DT's catalogs. Not sure if it is possible to get the hub with Campy freehub straightaway from DT, or if separately is the only option.

bicycletricycle
06-18-2011, 08:28 PM
liberace has got some wheels for sale with M15 white industry hubs. i think you can get a campy freehub for them. steel fork if you want a rack on the front.

A1CKot
06-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Few more questions...
Are 29ers the same size as 700c?
If there any performace difference between center lock and 6 bolt disc hubs?
Can anyone confirm if the Whites can be fitted with a campy cassette body?

I'm not really concerned about not having a front rack but it would be nice to have that option down the road but I have to have fenders. Anyone know if Wound Up can add eyelets to a used fork?

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I will have more questions soon.

bicycletricycle
06-18-2011, 09:32 PM
i talked to white industry about switching my m15 hubs to campy once and they confirmed that it was possible, i think that it required an axle and freehub and bearings or something, not just a simple cassette body swap. this was a few years ago. just call them up on monday, they are nice.

A1CKot
06-18-2011, 09:40 PM
i talked to white industry about switching my m15 hubs to campy once and they confirmed that it was possible, i think that it required an axle and freehub and bearings or something, not just a simple cassette body swap. this was a few years ago. just call them up on monday, they are nice.

Sounds really interesting. I know for the road hubs you change cassette body, axle and the end cap. I will give them a call monday and drop liberace a pm on the wheels. I do love their hubs and my 2 pairs of LTA's have out lasted everything else on my bike.

JeffS
06-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Salsa and Wilwood forks have eyelets, but not rack mounts.

If you wanted both, I suspect you would need to have one built.

BB7's are the most popular caliper, but there's also the Shimano BR-R505 and at one time, Tektro made one as well.

I'm guessing you could do a campy conversion on some DT240's. I believe the pair of Mavic Speedcity's sold here recently were campy wheels. Never knew they existed (I don't think the current models offer it). They're solid wheels.

xjoex
06-20-2011, 08:17 AM
I have a disc seven too, nice ebay score! The BB7 road brakes are great. They are good enough for Nick Legan from VeloNews .
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/06/bikes-and-tech/dirty-kanza-tech-nick-legans-salsas-vaya-ti_178867

Wound up will put eyelets on any new fork you buy from them.

For the rear rack, it yours has higher braze-ons than regular (like mine...) you can use the Ortlieb disc adapter kit to fit any regular rack on the bike.
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2011/05/review-tubus-rack-mounting-solutions.html

-Joe

A1CKot
06-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks for all the help.

I missed out on liberace's White wheels so I think I will find a wheel builder and see where a $500 budget gets me.

I also scored a set of BB7's roads with 160mm and 140mm discs so I should be set there.

xjoex, thanks for the heads up on the rack. It looks like I will have to take the same route.

xjoex
06-20-2011, 11:11 AM
I have a set of Mavic Speed City Wheels, I bought from someone on the forum, They are nice light wheels, and can even go tubeless (since they have no spoke holes in the rim).

I however don't use them, if you are interested I will make you a sweet deal :)

-Joe

rice rocket
06-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Few more questions...
Are 29ers the same size as 700c?
If there any performace difference between center lock and 6 bolt disc hubs?
Can anyone confirm if the Whites can be fitted with a campy cassette body?

I'm not really concerned about not having a front rack but it would be nice to have that option down the road but I have to have fenders. Anyone know if Wound Up can add eyelets to a used fork?

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I will have more questions soon.

29ers are the same size, make sure you get one w/ 9mm QRs, a lot of mountain stuff has gone to large thru-axles.
Centerlock is better in theory I guess, but proper rotors w/ fixed calipers should be floating. Centerlock doesn't solve this.
Not sure about White hubs, and their site is down now. Check www.whiteind.com in a little while.

A1CKot
06-28-2011, 04:04 PM
I am totally digging this frame but still a little stuck on my fork choice. I'm thinking steel now but most of them look some what off. I want a fork that will match the style of the frame. Any ideas are welcome.

My other concern is about the rear tire clearance. Pictured is the frame with a vittoria cross evo xg 34 that measures closer to a 32 than a 34. If I were to run fenders, would that be about the max that I could run. It looks like there is about 3mm on both sides.

tuscanyswe
06-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Saw this the other day and i like it!

http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/store/road/forks/cyclocross/lynskey-cyclocross-fork.html

Blue would look awesome but black as is would look pretty sweet aswell.

d_douglas
06-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Unless something has changed this year, I learned the hard way that Speedcitys cannot be converted to a Campy body. I had a Shimano compat pair and heard that if you used a certain year, it was possible, so I flagged a pair on le Bay and took it to my mechanic who promptly confirmed that there was no way these wheels would take a Campy FH body. A conversion cassette is the best you can do.

So, if you want a set of Speedcitys in mint condition, just let me know! They are great wheels in spite of the above!

Darren

Salsa and Wilwood forks have eyelets, but not rack mounts.

If you wanted both, I suspect you would need to have one built.

BB7's are the most popular caliper, but there's also the Shimano BR-R505 and at one time, Tektro made one as well.

I'm guessing you could do a campy conversion on some DT240's. I believe the pair of Mavic Speedcity's sold here recently were campy wheels. Never knew they existed (I don't think the current models offer it). They're solid wheels.

A1CKot
06-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Unless something has changed this year, I learned the hard way that Speedcitys cannot be converted to a Campy body. I had a Shimano compat pair and heard that if you used a certain year, it was possible, so I flagged a pair on le Bay and took it to my mechanic who promptly confirmed that there was no way these wheels would take a Campy FH body. A conversion cassette is the best you can do.

So, if you want a set of Speedcitys in mint condition, just let me know! They are great wheels in spite of the above!

Darren

Picked a set up already so that kind of sucks. What prevented the conversion?

Thanks for the fork rec tuscanyswe but for some reason the crown just looks strange. I like the forks Retrotec makes specifically the one in the 9th picture. (http://www.ingliscycles.com/forks.php) Any feedback on the builder or the fork design?