PDA

View Full Version : Bike Tattoo

Wilkinson4
06-18-2011, 11:11 AM
I picked up a copy of paved yesterday at the airport (Never saw this rag before) and saw a picture of this:

http://photos.oregonlive.com/oregonian/2010/08/alpenrose_velodrome_5.html

I am no tattoo guy but I thought this was kinda awesome... Anybody know Jack or have some interesting bike tattoo's?

mIKE

William
06-18-2011, 11:28 AM
I don't know Jack. ;)

I've ridden Alpenrose many times so thanks for the link. That's something I would think of...but not likely do. The tats are a cool idea and I like the design...though I could see in 10 years or so he may have the "What was I thinking?" reaction.

William

jr59
06-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Where is Old Potato?

His I like!

false_Aest
06-18-2011, 11:32 AM
That dude won the Cat 4 Brentwood Grand Prix last year. Way way way way ahead of the rest of the group.

avalonracing
06-18-2011, 11:40 AM
That dude won the Cat 4 Brentwood Grand Prix last year. Way way way way ahead of the rest of the group.

Two thoughts:
1) getting a tattoo like that is a Cat 4 move
2) any Cat 4 that finishes way ahead (much less way way way way ahead) has no business being a Cat 4 (except of the fact that you would think that a Cat 3 or 2 would have outgrown sandbagging so maybe Cat 4 is appropriate)

Okay, I'm going to go ride now as I'm particularly angry and judgmental today. Probably because it is 84ºF but with 92-effing-percent humidity. You know... I really hate Maryland sometimes.

false_Aest
06-18-2011, 11:45 AM
HAHAHHAHA!

I don't think he's been racing long.

IIRC, he's a Cat 2 now.

William
06-18-2011, 11:56 AM
HAHAHHAHA!

IIRC, he's a Cat 2 now.

Now that he's moved up....he better back that tat up or face the jabbing. :)

William

Wilkinson4
06-18-2011, 12:50 PM
No doubt on backing it up... Personally, I would get a hampster on a wheel for both my skinny calves:) Since he has moved up, maybe he should go 4 cyl?

mIKE

d_douglas
06-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Cool now, but one day, he's gonna wish he stayed the course! My sister has a relatively huge tattoo of a frog tearing away her skin to crawl out of teh centre of her back - ***? She must've been high for that tat. Anyhoo, she is 44 and ain't getting younger. Everytime we go swimming, I am reminded why I don't have tattoos. Her husband is all tatted out - blue arms and a cornucopia of ideas, some stupid, some profound.

I think they are a good idea if they are meaningful. Time bound tattoos are a bad idea.

Mr. Potatoe make his career dispensing advice about Campy and is a fountain of knowledge - his tattoo seems appropriate.

But who am I to judge?

Louis
06-18-2011, 02:15 PM
That's definitely one of those "I'm so full of myself" tats. Sophomoric move IMO.

mister
06-18-2011, 02:19 PM
tattoo's are kinda cool.
same with bikes.
the two together...not really. but that's just my opinion.

that seems the recipe for regret later in life.
there is this thing with tattoo's though. they are a part of you and you accept that and naturally just live with it. well you have to live with it.
glad i don't have any tattoo's i got as a teenager.

false_Aest
06-18-2011, 02:26 PM
I totally get your POV for tattoo work.

I'm on the complete opposite side of the coin . . . actually I'm probably using seashells.

I have 1 tattoo. People have mistaken it for electrical tape, an arm brace and kinesiology tape. Everyone always asks me what it means.

nothing. it means absolutely nothing.

i like the design but its not based off of anything, not tribal, not pacific islander, not architecture, not stories, nothing.

having a tattoo remind me of some "important" time in my life seems a little trite (really, i mean no offense to anyone who has one like that). but i'm a strange one. i rarely take pictures when i'm visiting a place or on vacation--to me, the experience ends up affecting me in intangible ways and looking at a piece of paper to "throw me back" just doesn't make sense (this is especially strange since i'm a photographer by trade). in a lot of ways i feel the same way about a tattoo---how can a tattoo that references my parents, a dog, a woman, a car, etc substitute for the real thing?

eh . . .

i effin love tattoos. i love the idea of them. i love them when they start to break down (old age, sun, scars, etc). i like hearing the stories behind them. i like being able to shake my head when i hear that some girl got a star tattooed near her hip flexors by her 15 year old boyfriend at a friends house to rebel against her parents . . . . and that at 28 her parents still don't know about it. i think the pistons are cool. antique chainrings are cool too.

bah i'm babbling. my blood sugar is low and i just rode 2 hours under 200 watts. recovery/endurance rides suck

mister
06-18-2011, 04:00 PM
yeah ^

my tattoos mean nothing
except i wanted something from some artist that did some kinda thing that i think looks good
so i give a vague idea of what i want
the artist draws it up
i sit there and take it

the whole experience is quite unique and after a few times it's a bit addictive
the whole thing
the smells of the alcohol they keep rubbing on you
the sound of the machine as it pokes millions of little holes in you
the conversations...so great

avalonracing
06-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Your post reads like a haiku from a drunken man... In a good way.

xjahx
06-18-2011, 04:39 PM
My lady friend has two bands around each of her calves; they are tube socks. It still makes me chuckle. Looks "awesome" when wearing a dress/skirt.

This is from bike pgh's banner:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5033/5846680218_3eeeaa9e10_o.jpg

cmg
06-18-2011, 05:00 PM
riding buddy got a small tattoo on the back of his calf. looks like the cycling symbol from the 70's olympics, kinda cryptic. Has a ripple effect among us, another rider did another one slightly larger, then a woman of the group was talking about doing the same. check out http://www.flickr.com/groups/498605@N25/ for other examples. the smaller ones look cool in my opinion, but i'm from the era of tattoos are "something cops use to indentify you with. " give it a look. i have seen the campy logo and the chainring grease stain tats locally.

bironi
06-18-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm still considering a period (punctuation mark) on the bottom of my heel, but I haven't got up the guts or the bucks yet, but I'm still young. :beer:

avalonracing
06-18-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm still considering a period (punctuation mark) on the bottom of my heel, but I haven't got up the guts or the bucks yet, but I'm still young. :beer:

Dude, start slowly. You don't want to do anything that will ruin your life.

thinpin
06-18-2011, 09:22 PM
I work in OR that does more than its fair share of road trauma. There was a time, not so long ago, when the rule was - the extent and severity of the injuries are directly proportional to the percentage area of the body tattoed (sp).
This rule no longer applies. Would'nt do one myself but well done I think they are cool.

oldpotatoe
06-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Where is Old Potato?

His I like!

Here tis....

Hawker
06-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Wow. Anyone have a SRAM tat on their arm? :)

oldpotatoe
06-19-2011, 08:49 AM

That's funny...that'd be more like a rash, not a tattoo.

firerescuefin
06-19-2011, 08:52 AM

It would be the kind you could wash off :rolleyes:

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-19-2011, 08:55 AM
SRAM tattoo, right next to my BikeNashbar tattoo.

ultraman6970
06-19-2011, 09:46 AM
I have one of performance bicycle in my tight! :D And I just did just because they have everything i need all the time!

jr59
06-19-2011, 11:30 AM

lol! Oh man, my sides hurt now!

Thats to funny!

rugbysecondrow
06-19-2011, 02:00 PM

Thats not the worse rash that can come from southeast Asia. Nothing a shot of penicillin can't fix.

christian
06-19-2011, 09:58 PM
I think the idea is sort of cool; but the connecting rods are way too long. The side loading on the piston would be terrible. This is why long stroke diesels use a piston rod, crosshead bearing and crosshead guides, in addition to a connecting rod. Geeky, but it'd be way better if he'd stuck to reality and just gotten some YZF-R6 pistons and con rods in real size.

soulspinner
06-20-2011, 05:31 AM

:)

mister
06-20-2011, 07:26 AM
I think the idea is sort of cool; but the connecting rods are way too long. The side loading on the piston would be terrible. This is why long stroke diesels use a piston rod, crosshead bearing and crosshead guides, in addition to a connecting rod. Geeky, but it'd be way better if he'd stuck to reality and just gotten some YZF-R6 pistons and con rods in real size.

wouldn't shorter rods do more side loading of the pistons?
shorter rod/stroke ratio...

Bob Loblaw
06-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Outstanding.

Here tis....

csm
07-10-2011, 01:45 PM
I won a gift certificate to a local tattoo shop. I am thinking a bike-related tattoo. any suggestions?

false_Aest
07-10-2011, 01:56 PM
You need a skeleton with a sombrero on a p-far

brainvacation77
07-10-2011, 02:02 PM
HAHAHHAHA!

IIRC, he's a Cat 2 now.

jack lindquist rides at encino velodrome pretty regularly. he has been a cat 1 track racer for awhile now. i think he just got into road racing last year, hence the sandbagging of the cat 4 brentwood race.

vsefiream
07-11-2011, 10:11 AM
wouldn't shorter rods do more side loading of the pistons?
shorter rod/stroke ratio...

Looks like a 600ci stroker kit ;-)

With those bore/rod length dimensions one would assume the stroke to be nearly 8" or better. The piston is way too small for such. Therefore the rod would most likely be hitting the lower cylinder walls. Definitely under square.

FWIW - I like that tat, it's cool for the bike and car crowd. IIRC the detail in the piston rings was quite good too.

andeww
07-11-2011, 02:55 PM
more pics anyone

fatallightning
07-11-2011, 04:51 PM
i have the campy winged logo on my driveside ankle (amongst lots of other things).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/fatallightning/DSC_4681.jpg

FastVegan
07-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Is the "X" on your leg a sXe X or just a normal X? I have a sXe X.

povofphilos
07-11-2011, 08:15 PM
i think i need a bike related tattoo...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1367/1447732348_2e86d9b864.jpg

povofphilos
07-11-2011, 08:18 PM
whats a bike tattoo thread without any pictures?
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/411394614_7d9dd4691a.jpg

avalonracing
07-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Now that tattoo shows some hipster commitment.

RacerJRP
07-11-2011, 09:58 PM
haha. hipster for life! the artwork is very well done atleast.

maunahaole

It means that he is risking a compound fracture if he exceeds 170rpm.

William
I hope he never goes to prison. :eek:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/tacomaster64/Parts/Little_Pedal_Bike_Tattoo.jpg

Not my cup-O-tea, but hey....

William

WickedWheels
07-11-2011, 10:17 PM
i have the campy winged logo on my driveside ankle (amongst lots of other things).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/fatallightning/DSC_4681.jpg

Your bike looks Campy-free, though.

BTW, I run the shop that sponsors your team. Well, the Manhasset location anyway.

WickedWheels
07-11-2011, 10:21 PM
i think i need a bike related tattoo...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1367/1447732348_2e86d9b864.jpg

Showing that level of allegiance to a brand... I don't know about that. I get a chain, a chainring, handlebars, etc. A brand, though... I wonder if anyone out there is sporting a Schwinn tattoo from years ago? Or a Huret one?

bironi
07-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Showing that level of allegiance to a brand... I don't know about that. I get a chain, a chainring, handlebars, etc. A brand, though... I wonder if anyone out there is sporting a Schwinn tattoo from years ago? Or a Huret one?

How about a SkidLid? :beer:

firerescuefin
07-11-2011, 11:36 PM

That's taking the "I am Specialized" add campaign a little too seriously. :rolleyes:

WickedWheels
07-12-2011, 01:37 AM
Perhaps someone should take the same approach with their tattoos as I take with stickers on my tool box. Currently I have:

Mavic
Park
Campy
Rolf
RaceFace
Pedros
Lezyne
Cannondale warning label

I also have a bunch of those little stickers that come on front derailleurs to set the height properly and my Di2 Certified Mechanic medallion.

fatallightning
07-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Your bike looks Campy-free, though.

BTW, I run the shop that sponsors your team. Well, the Manhasset location anyway.

the track bike is campy free, the 4 other bikes are all campy 11 haha. i appreciate the team support! i actually work at piermont bicycle connection, but always give love to sponsors.

and yeah, straight edge x's.

microdraft
07-16-2011, 01:23 PM
The only bike related tattoo I have is a line to represent the general route of my cross country bike tour from NYC to LA.
Yes we went the wrong way, but we didn't have a choice. It was a poorly planned marketing tour. Regardless I was still proud of this accomplishment so I along with a few tour-mates got this line to commemorate the journey.

her it is. Judge away!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2633/4154239477_fd583d222e_m.jpg

Louis
07-16-2011, 04:52 PM
The only bike related tattoo I have is a line to represent the general route of my cross country bike tour from NYC to LA.

Very clever, and an accomplishment worth commemorating.

cat6
07-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Yes we went the wrong way, but we didn't have a choice. It was a poorly planned marketing tour. Regardless I was still proud of this accomplishment so I along with a few tour-mates got this line to commemorate the journey.

her it is. Judge away!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2633/4154239477_fd583d222e_m.jpg

I have a similar line on my backside commemorating my cross country ride...the grand canyon begins at my butt crack...

Jokes aside, I think that's a pretty neat tattoo.

Muttleyone
07-16-2011, 06:09 PM
I have a similar line on my backside commemorating my cross country ride...the grand canyon begins at my butt crack...

Me too but the Redwood National Park starts at my.....ah well never mind... lol.

Mutt

xjoex
07-16-2011, 07:32 PM
I have one bike related on, its a chakra that looks like a chain ring.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/boulderjoe/IMG_4711.jpg

And for the straightedge kids in the room, its from the old krishnacore record by 108, Songs of Seperation.

-Joe

microdraft
07-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Haha. You guys are cracking me up.... Umm, no pun inteded.

Thanks! It might be my favorite tattoo. Even though I get asked if I accidentally wrote on myself or there is a string stuck to my arm.
I may have lied about that being my only bike related tattoo. Not sure if getting one as part of an alley cat makes it a bike related tattoo.

JAllen
12-07-2015, 10:51 PM
Not trying to revive this thread per se, but I thought I saw a thread regarding tattoos on here recently. Now I can't Seem to find it.

Louis
12-07-2015, 11:46 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=137933

JAllen
12-08-2015, 12:06 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=137933

Thank you kindly!