PDA

View Full Version : Replace seat post or not?

sirroada
06-24-2005, 02:14 PM
I just purchased a new Serotta Legend Ti. I had them put a FSA K-force light seatpost on the bike. When I got it I realized they had accidently ordered the standard setback post. The dealer replaced it with a short set back post. I got the bike home and took it out of the SUV and noticed that the tech had nicked the post with the hex tool when tightening down the saddle bolts. There are 4 little nicks on the post. Nothing big or deep but enough to make me wonder. I have heard that carbon fiber weakens when the surface is nicked. Is this true? The last thing I need is my saddle to fall out from under me bum. Should I call the dealer and nag about this seatpost or let it go and ride it. (Keep in mind the bike was 7 large, the seatpost is brand new...I hate to be picky, I could live with it but then again when you spend big bucks you expect big service...give me some advice)

dirtdigger88
06-24-2005, 02:20 PM
yes replace it with one made of aluminum :p

no really- I would probably have to ask the shop to replace the post- nicks in carbon scare me

Jason

jeffg
06-24-2005, 02:20 PM
get a WCS or Thomson AL post and get a set of free tires. I know many will disagree, but I would never use a CF seatpost. But hey, it's literally your a**.

CalfeeFly
06-24-2005, 05:47 PM
They should have been more careful.

The Selcof Premium has the best of both worlds. It is aluminum wrapped in carbon. It is gorgeous with no worries.

My 97 Titec carbon post crumbled at the clamp after many years but it had an alloy liner. I'm very happy it did.

sc53
06-24-2005, 07:04 PM
"crumpled at the clamp"
OUCH!
I have a new carbon seatpost and do NOT want to experience crumpling. Maybe I should switch back to my aluminum?

soulspinner
06-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Thomson Elite 158 grams for 250mm. And made to take more abuse than any carbon post. I love my Thomsons (2 of em..).

Dave
06-24-2005, 07:46 PM
I have both models of the FSA K-force. The short setback model requires a longer than normal hex wrench to reach the deeply recessed front bolt, or something to use as a "cheater bar", attached to the short end of a normal hex wrench. I use an 8mm box end wrench, hooked over the short end of the wrench to act as a cheater. I also have a hex wrench with two long sides, but I've got no idea where I bought it.

Small nicks will not hurt the post, but it might be worth mentioning the problem to the dummy who installed the post.

CNY rider
06-24-2005, 08:16 PM
I recently bought Richey WCS bars and a seatpost. I couldn't believe how little they weighed in my hands (as opposed to say a bottom bracket, which feels like a boat anchor). If you're even at all uncomfortable with the carbon just get a nice aluminum post.

Jeff N.
06-24-2005, 08:44 PM
Go back and snivel about the nicks. Then, as others have advised, get yourself an aluminum post and don't look back... Jeff N.

William
06-25-2005, 07:11 AM
Go back and snivel about the nicks. Then, as others have advised, get yourself an aluminum post and don't look back... Jeff N.

Agreed. What Jeff says.

William