PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Classic Bib Shorts - no quibble 30-day free returns offer

pdmtong
06-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Test Rapha's Classic Bib Shorts today with a no quibble 30-day free returns offer. We are confident these are the best shorts in the world and you will be completely satisfied by the unrivalled comfort and support they offer.*

*Offer ends August 1st (http://www.rapha.cc/bib-shorts/)

Nil Else
06-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Oh no... will this make me a Rapha convert finally? I don't need any bib shorts for a while but I wouldn't mind trying them out.

AngryScientist
06-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Oh no... will this make me a Rapha convert finally? I don't need any bib shorts for a while but I wouldn't mind trying them out.

they are certainly my favorites.

pdmtong
06-17-2011, 01:04 PM
People can say what they will about the brand, but their bibs are VERY comfortable and durable. Pad is just right. not too thick or thin. in the right place. Feel great after 10 or 100 miles. I am completely satisfied with mine.
and, completely understated in all black

edl
06-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Oooo that's quite an offer. I've been on the fence about buying some new bibs and had narrowed it down to Assos or Rapha. I'm 5'10", 170 pounds with a 33" waist and 32" inseam.

Medium or Large?

leooooo
06-17-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm 6 ft, 155 pounds, 32 waist, 34 inseam and wear a large

Hank Scorpio
06-17-2011, 02:43 PM
I bought a pair or these last year so I dont know if the new chamois is different but they are a very comfortable pair of shorts. I would like them to have a bit more muscle compression in the body material but no complaints on durability.

Slight thread drift I would recommend nobody buy the Demarchi Contour EVO shorts. I had the pad split down the seam and Demarchi has been less than helpful honoring their warranty.

Nil Else
06-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Slight thread drift I would recommend nobody buy the Demarchi Contour EVO shorts. I had the pad split down the seam and Demarchi has been less than helpful honoring their warranty.

I like DeMarchi stuff (mostly) and never had to use their warranty service. Some of their Contour Evo bibs are sheer ie transparent and will show your :butt:. I use them mostly at home on trainer and they are real comfy and have great ventilation.

Ditto on thread drift.

Chris
06-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Oooo that's quite an offer. I've been on the fence about buying some new bibs and had narrowed it down to Assos or Rapha. I'm 5'10", 170 pounds with a 33" waist and 32" inseam.

Medium or Large?

6'2". 175. Medium. The legs are long.

Scott Shire
06-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Unless fit is awful, I find it hard to believe Rapha will get many returns. They're my favorite, just a little better then the Panache 11. What puts them above their peers for me is the way they hold up to repeated laundering. Really, really tough stuff. My oldest pair is ~18 months with an insane amount of washing and looks new.

ultraman6970
06-17-2011, 05:12 PM
for 145 pounds better be the best thing in the market, darn!

pdbrye
06-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Don't try em unless you are willing to buy them. They really are that good. You will not be sending them back!

cfox
06-17-2011, 05:33 PM
man, I hope they don't try to re-sell the re-treads!...kidding they wouldn't do that. Really nice bibs

fiamme red
06-17-2011, 05:36 PM
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-apparel/2011-rapha-bib-shorts-4203.16.1.html

"The starting point for any great pair of shorts is the chamois, and Rapha uses one we've tested and loved. Rapha calls it by the company name, the Cytech chamois. A close inspection reveals that this is the same chamois found in Assos' F.I. Mille shorts and Roubaix knickers, only in black."

edl
06-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Looks like the same Chamois. But it should be since the Assos Uno is about $145 and the Mille S5 is $190 from Ribble, compared to $210 for Rapha Classic. The Uno is at a great price point but I can't find any local retailers who carry them.

I'm gonna swing by the Rapha 'Cycle Club' in SF this weekend to look at the bibs in person first. Really looking forward to some new clothes...just finished a 550 mile charity ride with some old Sugoi RS Flex shorts which used to work fine, but definitely did my bum wrong this time around.

FlashUNC
06-17-2011, 09:43 PM
As a recent convert I can preach the gospel as well. Phenomenal shorts.

Louis
06-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Being the "informed consumer" that I am (euphemism for cheapskate) it seems to me one option is to decide what Cytech chamois you like (since they make so many) and find a "non super-high premium" brand of shorts / bibs that uses that chamois. Since the Cytech web site has a list of at least some of the brands that use their products that might not be difficult to do.

There's nothing I hate more than finding that Perfomance / Nashbar is selling essentially the same thing as Premium Brand XYZ for a fraction of the cost, if I've already fallen for XYZ's marketing pitch and bought their version.

Maybe I'm weird, but I'm not willing to pay one extra nickel for the privilege of sporting that Assos or Rapha label, if I can get the same thing for less.

leooooo
06-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Being the "informed consumer" that I am (euphemism for cheapskate) it seems to me one option is to decide what Cytech chamois you like (since they make so many) and find a "non super-high premium" brand of shorts / bibs that uses that chamois. Since the Cytech web site has a list of at least some of the brands that use their products that might not be difficult to do.

There's nothing I hate more than finding that Perfomance / Nashbar is selling essentially the same thing as Premium Brand XYZ for a fraction of the cost, if I've already fallen for XYZ's marketing pitch and bought their version.

Maybe I'm weird, but I'm not willing to pay one extra nickel for the privilege of sporting that Assos or Rapha label, if I can get the same thing for less.

Totally get what u mean. Just make sure when you do the market research, take note of the quality of seams and the material of the bin straps. Hate when off brands may use the same chamois, but the bib straps are rough as sand paper or it can't stand up to many washes.

nateincarnate
06-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Definitely try them out. Skepticism is totally healthy and warranted. I'm a big fan of Rapha but not always for their product (their branding is phenomenal and something I love to pick apart and absorb in all of its forms.) The only thing I've bought brand new from Rapha was their hats... and that was kind of a strange one since I hate to get sucked up in the stigma of the brand. I know, completely weird to be self conscious of brand and yet an admirer of it. I'm just critical of my gear and most importantly hate extravagance without purpose.

Long story short, in the last month I've bought two pairs of Rapha bibs from Competitive Cyclist (who can resist a 21% off coupon?). After eagerly incorporating my first pair into the week's laundry, I threw them on for what was supposed to be a 60 mile fixed gear ride with about 4000 feet of climbing. We got lost and it turned into a 90 mile ride with 6000 feet of climbing. I'll tell you, the last thing I was complaining about was my bib. My other points of comparison were much cheaper and much less comfortable after the 60th mile (Pearl Izumi and Shutt.vr). It was strange coming in after a rather long/hard ride and feeling like my bum/torso region was extremely fresh. I immediately got onto CC.com and bought a 2nd bib to rotate in with the 1st.

Whoever said don't do this unless you have the cash for it or intention of actually possibly owning a pair nailed it on the head. They're that good.

steampunk
06-18-2011, 12:07 PM
my go-to bibs if i know it is going to be a looong ride. first impression of the pad is that it is thick, but it just disappears under you and you forget about it.

also i found the overall construction and fabric to be stretchy. i am usually a small (castelli, sugoi), but the rapha XS is a better fit.

the downside, if any, is that you will either be wanting a 2nd pair of rapha bibs or wanting a rapha jersey to go with it. none of which are cheap add-ons :)

edl
06-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Looks like the same Chamois. But it should be since the Assos Uno is about $145 and the Mille S5 is $190 from Ribble, compared to $210 for Rapha Classic. The Uno is at a great price point but I can't find any local retailers who carry them.

I'm gonna swing by the Rapha 'Cycle Club' in SF this weekend to look at the bibs in person first. Really looking forward to some new clothes...just finished a 550 mile charity ride with some old Sugoi RS Flex shorts which used to work fine, but definitely did my bum wrong this time around.

Just to follow up, I swung by the Cycle Club yesterday. Coffee, pastries, racing on the tele. Magazines everywhere. Really sweet bikes on display. It was like hanging out in your favorite garage/man-cave, only better. Having lived in San Francisco for nine years I must admit I have my preconceptions about the Marina District, but everyone there was really cool. And I'm not hip or cool by any means.

Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.

Scott Shire
06-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Just to follow up, I swung by the Cycle Club yesterday. Coffee, pastries, racing on the tele. Magazines everywhere. Really sweet bikes on display. It was like hanging out in your favorite garage/man-cave, only better. Having lived in San Francisco for nine years I must admit I have my preconceptions about the Marina District, but everyone there was really cool. And I'm not hip or cool by any means.

Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.

My guess, edl, is that if you're "swinging by" the RCC and appreciating the sweet bikes, while exuding a nice dose of humility, is that you are quite a bit more hip than you think. :cool:

edl
06-19-2011, 11:57 AM
My guess, edl, is that if you're "swinging by" the RCC and appreciating the sweet bikes, while exuding a nice dose of humility, is that you are quite a bit more hip than you think. :cool:

Thanks Scott. I still don't consider myself hip but I'll take it :)

I've been off the cycling forums for a few years, so when I started researching a few weeks back I was surprised to see so many negative judgements on Rapha and the people that wear it. We all have our stereotypes and preconceptions, and the internet usually makes it worse. In the end, it's just clever marketing - that's what builds brands, right?

I've learned to approach things with an open mindset - sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised. Just my 0.02 :beer:

feta99
06-19-2011, 05:46 PM
After much drooling over Rapha videos and product design I decided to try their team bib shorts, and while they fit well in the store(might be the last time I buy local), I found them to be very uncomfortable while riding. The chamois is great but the material around the groind is non-stretchy and feels like it is massaging your nuts(not in a nice way) when riding off saddle. It could be I should have gotten the larger size but everything felt fine in the store when I was trying them on. Now i cant return them because they are worn and im stuck with overpriced spandex.

In comparison, I bought a pair of assos f1 unos and those are fantastic in every way while riding. If I could trade the team bibs for the classics bibs in a larger size I might be a convert but for now the assos bibs are cheaper(from uk websites) and much nicer.

jlwdm
06-19-2011, 09:30 PM
I like the Assos F1 Unos also but no better than the Rapha. They are my two favorites. The Rapha bibs have thinner material but totally comfortable.

Jeff

JeffS
06-19-2011, 11:06 PM
We are confident these are the best shorts in the world

Admire the confidence, however misplaced it may be.

JeffS
06-19-2011, 11:10 PM

Some of us consider the bib to be a large part of what we're paying for. I couldn't care less about the branding. In fact, I wish it wasn't there - and have removed the "butt buttons" from some of my Assos gear.

Either way, you seem to be as happy with your choice as I am with mine, so it's all worked out.

Louis
06-19-2011, 11:17 PM
Some of us consider the bib to be a large part of what we're paying for.

I hear you.

In my case, I have a few bibs (most of them are knickers) but the majority of my bottoms are plain ol' shorts, not bibs, so I don't have to worry about the details of the straps.

For me the chamois is 98.42% of what's important in a pair of shorts. ;)

gearguywb
06-20-2011, 05:42 AM
Great bibs. I bought two pair of the "team" bibs last year and they are my "go-to" bibs for long rides. Unfortunatley they changed the design of the team's for this year so not sure how they would compare.

Chris
06-20-2011, 07:55 AM

You're not weird and there is nothing wrong with your approach, but to say that you can get the same thing for less isn't accurate. You might be able to get just as nice, or durable or whatever for less, but no matter what high end bib short you are buying, there are things that make it unique. At least that's the case for me with the Rapha bibs. I really appreciate the fabric they use (less emphasis on compression), the low cut front and the fairly unique back that makes the whole combination work well for me. Also, being thin and tall, I have generally had problems in that large bib straps work but the medium bottoms are better. The Rapha bibs work better for me because they are cut taller. It's all just preference fellas.

tv_vt
06-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Didn't Velonews recently review a bunch of bibshorts? Anyone know what issue it was? (I think I threw mine out.) What was their take-away?