PDA

View Full Version : What lube do you use for cleat screws?

DHallerman
06-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Hi,

What substance do you put on cleat screws?

In the old days I used beeswax for its holding powers, "nature's loctite," in the memorable phrase from Grant Petersen.

Setting up some shoes now, I'm thinking of just using grease, such as Phil grease, my usual. (These Shimano screws have nothing on the threads.)

But the threadlocking element would seem to be useful for cleat screws.

So, I've been thinking about purple Loctite, Loctite 222, the weakest one.

Or going back to beeswax, although that's often a PITA to get soft again after its initial prep.

What do you use -- and why?

Dave, who tends to look at all the details even if not always absolutely necessary

PaulE
06-16-2011, 07:33 PM
I use anti-seize. I've never worried about losing a cleat screw. I worry they won't come loose when it's time for new cleats. I check tightness of the cleat screws once in a while, but not that often.

Bob Ross
06-16-2011, 07:53 PM
I use Phil's grease, the turquoise stuff, and haven't ever had a cleat screw come loose

..although I have had those damn Speedplay Frog fore/aft locking screws come loose, and those are the ones that come slathered in Blue Loctite from the factory!

FlashUNC
06-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Just the generic Pedro's stuff. And check them for tightness whenever I remember to do it. Never had a problem yet.

DonH
06-16-2011, 08:17 PM
I use anti-seize, and check for tightness frequently. After the 1st couple of rides they stay tight.

regularguy412
I've used Phil Grease, Tri-Flow, SPL100 lube and anti-seize. I've finally settled on anti-seize (for the initial setup) and then SPL100 lube for touch-ups later (without taking the screws out). The SPL100 works well on the cleat faces ( the parts that actually touch the pedal). I, too, have been more concerned about removal rather than having the screws come loose.

The first pair of 'hard-soled', cleated shoes I ever owned were Shimano first edition carbon, circa 1990. The 'carbon' sole consisted of a small 2 inch x 2 inch patch of carbon under the cleat mounting area that had studs coming from inside the shoe. The cleats were attached with threaded nuts that screwed onto the studs. I sweated so much, that he fasteners were basically rusted onto the studs. When I tried to remove them, no manner of penetrating lube would break them loose. This caused the stud mount, itself, to turn inside the carbon plate. I barely got the cleats off. Since then, I've made sure to lube the threaded parts.

Mike in AR:beer:

dekindy
[COLOR=Sienna]I use Phil's grease, the turquoise stuff, and haven't ever had a cleat screw come loose

..although I have had those damn Speedplay Frog fore/aft locking screws come loose, and those are the ones that come slathered in Blue Loctite from the factory!

+1. Has always worked for me and my SPD-SL's.

Louis
06-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Loctite

merlincustom1
06-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Loctite 242

biker72
06-17-2011, 05:44 AM
I use a generic white grease but have seen a couple of people use Chapstick... :)

oldpotatoe
06-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Hi,

What substance do you put on cleat screws?

In the old days I used beeswax for its holding powers, "nature's loctite," in the memorable phrase from Grant Petersen.

Setting up some shoes now, I'm thinking of just using grease, such as Phil grease, my usual. (These Shimano screws have nothing on the threads.)

But the threadlocking element would seem to be useful for cleat screws.

So, I've been thinking about purple Loctite, the weakest one.

Or going back to beeswax, although that's often a PITA to get soft again after its initial prep.

What do you use -- and why?

Dave, who tends to look at all the details even if not always absolutely necessary

Grease and tighten them.

DHallerman
06-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Loctite 242

The range of responses is very interesting.

Thanks for your specific Loctite mention, since they differ quite a bit.

I've been using a stick version of 242 lately, that's quite easy to apply.

DfCas
06-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Waterproof boat trailer axle grease.

Pyramor
06-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Blue loctite.

Bob Loblaw
06-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Teflon tape

Peter B
06-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Blue Loc-tite.