PDA

View Full Version : A bit of cycling technology related irony

MattTuck
06-16-2011, 09:50 AM
From the TdS today, I won't spoil who it was, but there was a crash and someone had to get a new bike. Only problem was, the team used integrated seat masts, and despite 3 or 4 team mates around, the rider couldn't take his team mates' bikes because the seatmasts could not be adjusted to fit him.

I just find it ironic.

Charles M
06-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Of course that's also the time you note the "increased stiffness" of ISP...

InspectorGadget
06-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Of course that's also the time you note the "increased stiffness" of ISP...
R R R :D

David Kirk
06-16-2011, 11:43 AM
I don't know why they didn't whip out the hacksaw, cut the ISP down, slot it, slip on a collar, transfer the saddle from the topper to a post and then just slip it in, tighten it up and be on their way.

How hard is this? I thought they would have pro mechanics who could do this on the road in just seconds!

Dave

jr59
06-16-2011, 11:49 AM
A simple cordless grinder would have been a good thing to have!

AngryScientist
06-16-2011, 11:55 AM
the troubled rider should have just h'd the fu and ridden the bike standing on the pedals until he could get a suitable replacement.

lemme guess, the team was also running different pedal systems too ? :bike:

EDS
06-16-2011, 11:57 AM
From the TdS today, I won't spoil who it was, but there was a crash and someone had to get a new bike. Only problem was, the team used integrated seat masts, and despite 3 or 4 team mates around, the rider couldn't take his team mates' bikes because the seatmasts could not be adjusted to fit him.

I just find it ironic.

Would any of the riders have had any tools with them that would allow for adjusting the height of a non-integrated post? I am guessing no.

I guess if the team car did not have a bike that fit this guy then yeah, that is stupid.

aoe
06-16-2011, 12:27 PM
+1, cut the seatmast. unless the rider happened to be significantly taller than his teammates, this makes no sense to me. if you're a few cm's off on seat height you'd throw away your TdS? prima donnas.

Idris Icabod
06-16-2011, 12:43 PM
What happened to the Mavic service car? Doesn't that carry those bright yellow bikes? Don't tell me those have seat masts as well.

FlashUNC
06-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Still missed a meeting on the seatmast bit somewhere along the way.

Who ever thought this was a good idea?

Are there any benefits? I'm truly stumped by it.