PDA

View Full Version : For those who have thinned the herd, regrets?

SamIAm
06-15-2011, 03:27 PM
I am seriously considering thinning the herd in a big way, maybe cutting back to just 2 or 3 bikes from the current 7 or so.

For those who have done this, did you have any regrets? Why did you do it? Would you do it again?

My motivation is simply storage, headache of keeping up with so many bikes, indecision about what to ride etc. In other words, simplification.

AngryScientist
06-15-2011, 03:29 PM
I am seriously considering thinning the herd in a big way, maybe cutting back to just 2 or 3 bikes from the current 7 or so.

For those who have done this, did you have any regrets? Why did you do it? Would you do it again?

My motivation is simply storage, headache of keeping up with so many bikes, indecision about what to ride etc. In other words, simplification.

that depends, what size frame do you ride? :D

Steve in SLO
06-15-2011, 03:30 PM
I've never had a regret come from selling a bike (or guitar or watch).
I have often thought beforehand that I would regret selling something but once gone it was always a relief and no looking back.

christian
06-15-2011, 03:32 PM
I have gone from a high of about 7 down to 2 pure road bikes. Am thinking about adding a mountain bike and a touring bike, but generally, I'm happier with fewer bikes. As with clothes, fewer and higher quality generally trumps many and lesser quality.

scoobydrew
06-15-2011, 03:32 PM
I haven't actually thinned the herd, but just limited myself to not buy so many bikes.

I currently have 3 bikes: a road bike, track bike, and beater/commuter/lockup bike. I don't really mountain bike or cross, so that's one part. The other motivation is that I don't have much space where I live, so it limits the amount of bikes I have to just 3.

Jeff N.
06-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Over the years I've sold a Q-Roo, Griffen, Airbourne, Clark Kent, three Litespeeds, a Seven Axiom Steel, a Calfee Tetra-Pro, several Cannondales and a Kirk Terraplane. Not a single regret. I know when it's time for something to go, and I usually have a pretty good reason why; some a REALLY good reason. Jeff N.

David Kirk
06-15-2011, 03:35 PM
When Karin and I moved from NY to MT 11 years ago I had 14 bikes of my own. Over time I sold almost all of them and only retain one of those originals. I now have 4 bikes in total - road, cross, mtb, and BMX.

the only one I regret selling was the first road bike I ever built for myself. It would feel good to have that even just hanging on a hook in the basement.

Other than that - no regrets.

Dave

SamIAm
06-15-2011, 03:37 PM
I have gone from a high of about 7 down to 2 pure road bikes. Am thinking about adding a mountain bike and a touring bike, but generally, I'm happier with fewer bikes. As with clothes, fewer and higher quality generally trumps many and lesser quality.

I wish it came down to easy quality decisions, but at least in my opinion, they are all quality.

Kirk, Ellis, Sachs, Bedford, Mariposa, Goodrich, Weigle :)

dave thompson
06-15-2011, 03:40 PM
I wish it came down to easy quality decisions, but at least in my opinion, they are all quality.

Are they...just my size? :)

SamIAm
06-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Are they...just my size? :)

Indeed they are.

spamjoshua
06-15-2011, 03:47 PM
A couple of shoulder surgeries and I became a roadie, though my first passion is snow, boarding 100-120 days a year.

I went through allot of bikes, allot of sizes, materials, configurations, discovering who I am on the road, what riding I most want to do, and what kind of bike best fits how and where I ride.

I will admit some things I bought/built/rode as I coveted them for years and found myself with the means to finally experience them first hand.

I am now mostly eliminating duplicates. I dont need 3 fixies and 4 road bikes. I really only find myself reaching for one of each.

Most of all, I made a decision to go minimalist with all of my possessions as I think next year I will see if I can buy a house. :)

No regrets, though some unsatisfied gluttony remains.

Joshua

tuscanyswe
06-15-2011, 03:47 PM
I have never had a big stable maybe 5 maximum at some point but i do find that having 2 bikes and 1 project going is perfect for me. I found that no matter how many bikes i have i always want another so having 2 up and running whilst pondering the next really does it for me. A roadbike and a cross or a fixed maybe depending on season and that 3rd one linguiering in my brain.

Truthfully i cant c the need for another bike unless i start riding mtbs. I do however seem to always c the need for a new bike so having only 2 keeps it possible economicly for me. Were i rich however.. Id have a so many bikes id be like the best shop ever! :)

dave thompson
06-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Indeed they are.
....oh no........

wooly
06-15-2011, 03:52 PM
I max'd out at 5 highend road bikes in 2008. I am impressed with those with herd 2-5x what I had. I am down to two road bikes. That's a good balance for me. One scandium Merckx and one steel (Waterford now, Speedvagen on the way).

SamIAm
06-15-2011, 03:53 PM
I have never had a big stable maybe 5 maximum at some point but i do find that having 2 bikes and 1 project going is perfect for me. I found that no matter how many bikes i have i always want another so having 2 up and running whilst pondering the next really does it for me. A roadbike and a cross or a fixed maybe depending on season and that 3rd one linguiering in my brain.

Truthfully i cant c the need for another bike unless i start riding mtbs. I do however seem to always c the need for a new bike so having only 2 keeps it possible economicly for me. Were i rich however.. Id have a so many bikes id be like the best shop ever! :)

This sounds like a pretty workable system actually.

I guess my fear is the wait time that would be necessary to re-acquire these frames is so daunting that I want to make a well considered decision.

AngryScientist
06-15-2011, 03:56 PM
if you dont mind sharing, what's driving this herd thinning?

Ahneida Ride
06-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Got a Bedford Incoming ....

But I'll always keep my Legend. Just toooo nice to ever sell. :hello:

maximus
06-15-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't know if I have ever "thinned the heard" so to speak - but I do believe in keeping the heard fresh. I have yet to land on stand-by - the longest I have kept a bike built a certain way would probably be three years). I love tinkering with them too much - and the pursuit of perfection is just too fun (there is no such thing as perfect).

That said, I have narrowed down the number of bikes I keep around to two at a time. Its definitely an exercise in self control (especially hanging around the classifieds) - but I think its a reasonable number. My wife is happier too. Unless you race or have a specific, special need - I don't understand the point in having more than one type of bike around (like two road bikes) other than pure indulgence (no judging - just a personal rule).

SoCalSteve
06-15-2011, 04:00 PM
At one point, between my wife and I, there were 15 bikes in and around my house...

Now we are down to 8. And we really only ride 3 of them. The fixies hardly ever get ridden and the Hors Cat isn't even built at this time. Plus 2 off them are coffee shop bikes.

So, regrets? Probably the only real regret is selling the Moots and there was a steel IF a few years back. Maybe the EP Colnago as well... :rolleyes:

Anyway, no...they are just bikes and they come and go. I've thought about selling the Hors Cat many times, but in the end, I still have it and probably always will...as that's one bike that will never be able to be replaced easily.

And, honestly, the only bike that I would even consider at this time is a CSI, if a nice one came on the market in my size.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, it is a pain to have all those bikes. Half the time, you don't even know what you have and what parts should go where and for someone with an A type personality, it's gets a bit too much. So yeah, I can relate!

Frankwurst
06-15-2011, 04:01 PM

That would be a tough herd to thin from. :beer:

AngryScientist
06-15-2011, 04:02 PM
I don't understand the point in having more than one type of bike around (like two road bikes) other than pure indulgence (no judging - just a personal rule).

so what do you do the night before a great ride you have planned when your wheel breaks, or you snap a cable? stay up all night fixing it, skip the ride?

if you stack on tons of miles a year on the road, having more than one road bike is really almost a necessity.

dana_e
06-15-2011, 04:04 PM
I had it down to one road bike, a Steve Rex custom, then it got lifted

I had it for over 10 years and documented 50k+ in miles.

I have been recovering ever since

Now, I have 4 road bikes

3 are steel of various pedigree levels, nothing super fancy, one is Ti (litespeed Firenze, 2.9 pounds for frame, a nice ride for budget Ti)

used frames are so cheap, when a nice steel one pops up, it is hard to say no.

My best forum find is an Ibis Sonoma, practially new, made by Carl Strong

I also picked up an Eddy Merckx, early 80s corsa, for a few hundred bucks, locally, which is nice

I had the same frame that I bought new in 1988, I sold it 15 years later for the same price I paid new. I should have kept it.

D

SamIAm
06-15-2011, 04:05 PM
....oh no........

In fact one of them that I didn't mention is a Waterford that you sold me a while back. It just returned from the painter and is looking quite sharp.

SamIAm
06-15-2011, 04:07 PM
if you dont mind sharing, what's driving this herd thinning?

Simplification or at least the perception of simplification. Technically, I could just herd all but 2 into the basement and be disciplined about only riding my "2" bikes, but somehow that doesn't seem as satisfying as moving them out for real.

thenewguy11
06-15-2011, 04:09 PM
I sold a Hot Tubes cyclocross bike back in 2002 or so and never really regretted it until I moved to Denver from L.A. three years ago. Then I got the itch to do a couple races and really wished I had that frame back. The few other bikes I've sold I didn't miss at all.

AngryScientist
06-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Simplification or at least the perception of simplification. Technically, I could just herd all but 2 into the basement and be disciplined about only riding my "2" bikes, but somehow that doesn't seem as satisfying as moving them out for real.

funny that you mention that, because thats exactly what i'm doing right now. 2 regularly ridden in the garage, the rest shoved into the basement. i sleep well at night (none of mine are super high end though) :o

SamIAm
06-15-2011, 04:16 PM
funny that you mention that, because thats exactly what i'm doing right now. 2 regularly ridden in the garage, the rest shoved into the basement. i sleep well at night (none of mine are super high end though) :o

I liken it to declaring that I have a single speed because I am going to be disciplined enough to not shift. I'm not that disciplined.

rdparadise
06-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Sam:

That's quite the herd, I can understand your trepidation with even thinking of thinning that herd.

In my own experience, I've been riding seriously for about 18 years. I have right now, a Legend Ti/ST, and Zanconato road bikes, a tandem MTB/Hybrid/road bike (Meridian) (hasn't been off the wall in 3 years), and an older MTB.

I recently, thinned a commuter/light touring Litespeed Blue Ridge, Serotta Csi and IF Club Racer/fixie. Do I miss them, the answer is a resounding no.
I like the idea of a fixie and may add that in the future.

I like the idea of having a backup bike for the road, particularly because that is my main cycling focus. It allows me to jump on a second bike, or swap wheels in case I go in the garage and have a flat and don't have time to fix it. It also allows for the occassional tune-up so I don't have to fret over not being able to ride.

If you decide to sell, put those babies up here and you won't have them for long.

Regards,

Bob

AngryScientist
06-15-2011, 04:18 PM
I liken it to declaring that I have a single speed because I am going to be disciplined enough to not shift. I'm not that disciplined.

yea, i hear ya.

rnhood
06-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Bicycles are made to be ridden and enjoyed. If that's not happening to some in your corral, then sell them. I don't believe in keeping something that doesn't get used. If you like buying bikes then that's fine, nothing wrong with it. Just ride and keep them a while then let'em go.

Frankly, I think you should sell all but one and get a good modern carbon bike.

SamIAm
06-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Sam:

That's quite the herd, I can understand your trepidation with even thinking of thinning that herd.

In my own experience, I've been riding seriously for about 18 years. I have right now, a Legend Ti/ST, and Zanconato road bikes, a tandem MTB/Hybrid/road bike (Meridian) (hasn't been off the wall in 3 years), and an older MTB.

I recently, thinned a commuter/light touring Litespeed Blue Ridge, Serotta Csi and IF Club Racer/fixie. Do I miss them, the answer is a resounding no.
I like the idea of a fixie and may add that in the future.

I like the idea of having a backup bike for the road, particularly because that is my main cycling focus. It allows me to jump on a second bike, or swap wheels in case I go in the garage and have a flat and don't have time to fix it. It also allows for the occassional tune-up so I don't have to fret over not being able to ride.

If you decide to sell, put those babies up here and you won't have them for long.

Regards,

Bob

I'm with you and others on the need for at least 2 road bikes. That's a given as is listing them here of course.

merckx
06-15-2011, 04:36 PM
I now have one road bike and I am happy. The biggest challenge with multiple bikes is the wrench time. It was too much for me. The other thing is that I am particular about my fit. It is a pita to make every machine alike re: fit. Even with the same contact points and components. I ride my one steel road bike all year in New England. I love it.

FlashUNC
06-15-2011, 04:37 PM
I think it you have no particular emotional attachment to some bikes, then its fine to cull the herd whenever. It isn't if the world has stopped producing great riding bikes from any number of companies or individual builders.

That being said, I'm never parting with my first road frame. Its a cro-moly Specialized Allez that probably is as generic as they come, but the sentimental value of it far exceeds what I could ever get in the open market for selling it.

So yeah, thin down the herd. I think with that many bikes, its tough to enjoy them all. And that's the point, right?

Climb01742
06-15-2011, 04:39 PM
there are only two bikes i regret letting go: a mid-90s motorola MXL (best riding bike ever) and a peg CCKMP. they're both hard, if not impossible in the case of the CCKMP, to replace. so my two cents might be, if you can get another if you feel pangs of regret, cut it loose. but if it's nigh onto irreplaceable, hang on to it. regret lasts a long time.

as an aside, there's no bike i currently own that i wouldn't sell. which is both liberating and sad. (there is, however, a frame waiting to be built that i have high hopes for.)

good luck, sam, in simplification. simple is good.

sevencyclist
06-15-2011, 04:44 PM
So which two would you ride out of those? Perhaps those are the two that you want to keep.

I "regret" selling my Gios Torino with stamped Super Record, seatpost, crankset, stem etc. But that is only because I sold it before I got into road riding, and it would be a cool bike to have, but realistically I would probably just stay on my Sachs road bike, and not ride the Gios anyways.

John H.
06-15-2011, 04:50 PM
I would keep the ones that fit the best and ride the best and you ride the most.
Seems like you have a number of "trophy bikes"- do they ride any nicer than the ones that an everyman can get?

buck-50
06-15-2011, 04:57 PM
No Regrets.

Got rid of any bike I made excuses not to ride. Now, no paralysis of choices when I go out riding. No thinking "I don't want to, but I really should take the _____ out- it's gathering dust..."

SamIAm
06-15-2011, 04:58 PM
I would keep the ones that fit the best and ride the best and you ride the most.
Seems like you have a number of "trophy bikes"- do they ride any nicer than the ones that an everyman can get?

I think they all ride the way they should ride. The way they were designed and the fit is essentially identical, but no they probably don't ride better than other well built steel frames.

The truth is I reach for the Bedford most of the time so that's 1.

avalonracing
06-15-2011, 05:03 PM
I regret selling my first good motorcycle (a perfect '86 Honda VFR) more than any bicycle. Would I still like to have my first road bike a super clean, white Vitus 979, maybe my custom repainted orange ColoradoII, and maybe my Ti Legend? Sure. But I'm not losing sleep over any of them. There's always another bike to be had.

Wilkinson4
06-15-2011, 05:10 PM
I have had more regrets not buying a bike than selling:) I currently have 10 in the stable and 5 get ridden. 2 are wall hangers. 3 don't get ridden much.

I plan on selling my single speed mtb in the fall and a lightspeed appalachian is on the block. My two vintage bikes I would like to keep but it starting to difficult to justify.

m

majl
06-15-2011, 05:11 PM
I went from four road bikes in 2009 down to one last year and didn't have any regret per se over selling a specific bike, but realized that I missed having a second road bike. If one needs work, is in the shop, or you just feel like taking out something else, it's nice to have a second. So at the end of last year, I added one and now am back up to two. I'm happy with this number and have no desire to have any more road bikes for the reasons you cited in the OP.

My wife says I still have too many bikes, but the others serve different purposes:

- 1 dedicated CX race bike
- 1 travel bike (Ritchey Breakaway cross) that comes with me every year to South America and also serves as the occasional commuter and winter, fully fendered rain bike
- 1 fully geared MTB hardtail
- 1 SS MTB 29er

About the only thing missing from my collection that I would still like to add is a nice 5"-6" FS MTB for the riding I do up in Tahoe.

dd74
06-15-2011, 05:22 PM
No regrets as nothing fit me nearly as well as my Serotta. The only other bike I might need is a bad weather bike, and that can be anything quite frankly.

Idris Icabod
06-15-2011, 05:36 PM
I went from 7 road bikes (plus 2 mountain and 1 CX but they don't count) to one built up road bike, an Argon 18 (which I will sell soon) and a Moots Compact SL frame that I tried to sell but have decided to build back up with the parts from the Argon. Hatching kids was the reason I thinned my herd (my pre-kid mileage was always greater than 10K per year, now I bet including commuting it is less than 2K), not financially motivated but just the lack of time to ride, my Argon has 483 miles on it in about a year, the computer was new on it when built! The last hatchling was a surprise and was actually conceived as best I can work out the same week I got my Argon.

I regret selling a Colnago C50 and may actually buy a NOS one just so when the time comes I can build it up and ride it. I'm glad that I never got a decent offer for my Moots, I probably would have really had sellers remorse if I had let that go.

I'm guessing there will come a time that my kids think I am lame and don't want to hang about with me and then I'll ride more and probably start filling the garage up with bikes again.

rugbysecondrow
06-15-2011, 06:25 PM
I think they all ride the way they should ride. The way they were designed and the fit is essentially identical, but no they probably don't ride better than other well built steel frames.

The truth is I reach for the Bedford most of the time so that's 1.

I thinned the herd to buy my first Bedford. A serotta, landshark and ritchey were sold to put towards one custom Bedford. Now that I have added my second Bedford, I have two road bikes (one coupled) a SS mtb and a ss/fixed bike (coupled) and my tri bike. Life is good. Bedfords make looking at the Classified section much less fun. ;)

Ken Robb
06-15-2011, 06:49 PM
I got rid of some bikes that never really worked well for me and I let a couple go that were really redundant since I had others that filled the same riding parameters. Since bikes cost nothing to register and little to insure I don't see any reason to thin the herd. Required maintenance is largely mileage dependent so keeping 9 bikes ready to go isn't much more trouble than one. OTOH, sometimes I toss tires with lots of tread that are getting too dry to trust.

Most of your bikes are so pretty you can enjoy them as sculpture as well as fine tools.

Maybe you need a second home so you would "need" four bikes to keep there. :)

jvp
06-15-2011, 07:01 PM
apparently I collect vintage bikes (70s - 80s) and as such I am hesitant to thin them out. I try to ride all of them (7) regularly, depending on purpose. I also have a modern SS 29r mtn. bike that I ride occasionally. I suppose one day I will sell off some or most of them, but they are all paid for, and they are a lot easier to maintain than acquire.

JLP
06-15-2011, 07:11 PM
I regret selling a Pogliaghi track bike in the early '80's.

That and a pristine red honda cb400f.

dave thompson
06-15-2011, 07:13 PM
I got rid of some bikes that never really worked well for me and I let a couple go that were really redundant since I had others that filled the same riding parameters. Since bikes cost nothing to register and little to insure I don't see any reason to thin the herd. Required maintenance is largely mileage dependent so keeping 9 bikes ready to go isn't much more trouble than one. OTOH, sometimes I toss tires with lots of tread that are getting too dry to trust.

Most of your bikes are so pretty you can enjoy them as sculpture as well as fine tools.

Maybe you need a second home so you would "need" four bikes to keep there. :)
Seeing how his bikes are 'just my size' I would humbly suggest that his excess could reside at my house and by me riding them regularly, they could be kept at the ready for shipping back to him should he desire to ride one. Just a well considered thought.

merckx
06-15-2011, 07:14 PM
apparently I collect vintage bikes (70s - 80s) and as such I am hesitant to thin them out. I try to ride all of them (7) regularly, depending on purpose. I also have a modern SS 29r mtn. bike that I ride occasionally. I suppose one day I will sell off some or most of them, but they are all paid for, and they are a lot easier to maintain than acquire.

How about some pics?

Aaron O
06-15-2011, 07:17 PM
that depends, what size frame do you ride? :D

HA! Exactly!

I have not regretted things I've sold, but I also still have a LOT of bikes.

maximus
06-15-2011, 07:17 PM
so what do you do the night before a great ride you have planned when your wheel breaks, or you snap a cable? stay up all night fixing it, skip the ride?

if you stack on tons of miles a year on the road, having more than one road bike is really almost a necessity.

i'd ride my fixed gear ;) makes you stronger.

my simple answer to the OP is you gotta get rid of what you don't use the least. if you can't think of anything better you could use the money for - then you are truly blessed and maybe theres no reason to let any of them go.

That said, there is no better feeling than seeing a cherished bike go to an excited new owner. i recently sold a bike that i have held onto for too long to a guy and he was so happy that it made it virtually painless to let go - it actually felt really good.

CNY rider
06-15-2011, 07:18 PM
I think you need one each of the "specialty" bikes; say a dirt road bike, a commuter, maybe a mt. bike.
Then you need 2 core road bikes that you will ride a lot each season.
Maybe one more road bike in reserve.
Anything more and I start feeling pulled in too many directions and the maintenance also nags at me.
I've sold some nice ones, and felt twinges of pain at the time but looking back now I'm glad I did what I did.

If you keep the numbers down it also lets you browse, and acquire something new that appeals to you. If the herd is already too large you can't really add.

jvp
06-15-2011, 07:21 PM
sure!
this is my primary fixed commuter, a '76 fuji feather track - it has bullhorns on it currently
http://velospace.org/files/fuji_track2.jpg

this is my primary geared commuter, a '78 raleigh professional
http://velospace.org/files/78raleighpro.JPG

this is an '80 Mclean "perfect pleasure", I commute on it on really hot days (rack)
http://velospace.org/files/Mclean1.JPG

Ken Robb
06-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Seeing how his bikes are 'just my size' I would humbly suggest that his excess could reside at my house and by me riding them regularly, they could be kept at the ready for shipping back to him should he desire to ride one. Just a well considered thought.

Or the three of us could just rotate 2 bikes in a triangular pattern every 3 months to keep any from seeming stale. :banana: :beer:

jvp
06-15-2011, 07:28 PM
cont...
my long distance/mtn. bike
'89 waterford paramount
http://velospace.org/files/89paramount.JPG

my ~2 hr. bike, '85 merckx professional
http://velospace.org/files/Emerckx1.JPG

and the 2 bikes I don't really "need"
'79 raleigh track
http://velospace.org/files/79raleightrack.JPG

'74 raleigh track
http://velospace.org/files/DL_175.jpg
I ride them both but not hard.

maximus
06-15-2011, 07:31 PM
That 74 Raleigh track sends waves of envy through me.

It looks like you have one to many English track bikes. I can help you with this problem ;)

jvp
06-15-2011, 07:41 PM
I'll keep you in mind - that day may come!
I recently sold this bianchi frame/fork as it was a little big for me, but it sure did ride nice!
http://velospace.org/files/bianchi_track81.JPG
no regrets

eddief
06-15-2011, 07:44 PM
1. custom steve rex steel with carbon fork
2. off the rack gunnar sport with waterford threaded steel fork
3. coupled riv rambouillet for travel
4. off the rack specialized s-works roubaix

if you have these 4 bikes it is just enough and you will never need to thin the herd or buy any new ones...for a month or two.

if you are dave thompson's size and i am dave thompson's size then ignore bs above.

merckx
06-15-2011, 07:54 PM
JVP, that is an awesome collection! I particularly like the Professional, Paramount and Merckx.

leooooo
06-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Momentary infusion of cash was great....
Regret was forever.

RPS
06-15-2011, 08:08 PM
This sounds like a pretty workable system actually.

I guess my fear is the wait time that would be necessary to re-acquire these frames is so daunting that I want to make a well considered decision.
Have you considered a middle ground that removes temptation yet leaves you a way out in case you feel you made a mistake?

Given your bikes if I didn't need the cash that's probably what I'd do.

SamIAm
06-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Great feedback guys. I have decided to let 4 go. It feels right, at least for now.

rounder
06-15-2011, 08:09 PM
I have not bought many bikes and now have four. I bought the mountain bike because it was a good deal and would have no regrets if i ever got rid of it. The other bikes were all bought for good reasons and have no intentions of ever getting rid of any of them.

Nil Else
06-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Momentary infusion of cash was great....
Regret was forever.

Ah, words of wisdom... put so poetically... Thank you.

So far I can't bring myself to part with any of my bikes... even my near full
time trainer mounted cheap kinesis frame Fred bike. I get attached. It's been
very difficult dodging accusations of hoarding from family and friends. I don't
know why there's such hated toward bicycles in the world. But one good thing
about having irrational attachments to a bunch of bikes is that I've been fairly
faithful for a while now... though I've had this longing for a Mapei paint C40
and a... :bike:

dave thompson
06-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Or the three of us could just rotate 2 bikes in a triangular pattern every 3 months to keep any from seeming stale. :banana: :beer:
I'd be open to that.

Pete Serotta
06-15-2011, 10:16 PM
That I admit to. If something is found in my basement that a friend likes better than me a deal is struck. Used bike market is too soft for me to go thue the pain of posting and selling so cheap. The biggest depreciation drop has happened most times already. :crap:

Fixed
06-15-2011, 10:22 PM
i have 6 bikes
i miss all my old friends
cheers

pdmtong
06-15-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm done with the road bikes

- 3 road - stainless steel, carbon, ti/carbon
- 1 carbon CX / rain
- belt drive SS townie

maybe one road could go. the steel and carbon were bought with deliberation. the ti/carbon just fell into. it is quite a ride though. and always my choice for the one century a year. two is fine...three is a luxury

need the CX for the 3 races a year and rain

the belt is too much fun and I'm not into it for that much.

bought carefully and not selling anything anytime soon.

Uncle Jam's Army
06-15-2011, 11:27 PM
In 1990, I sold my Tesch 101 in a wild purple to white fade that I had raced for two years. That same year,I sold my Specialized Allez Tange Prestige frame I had acquired two or three years earlier (circa 1986), as I completely left the sport. I did not regret the sales then. I do now. I wish I had both now.

In any event, I have bought one bike simply out of nostalgia--a Bianchi EL-OS lugged frame with C-Record/Delta hung from it. Although I only ride this bike on rare occasions (it rides very nice), I don't see myself selling it, as it represents that which was unattainable when I was in college and couldn't afford such a bike, even with my employee discount at the bike shop I worked. I will not be selling that bike unless absolutely forced to meet dire economic ends.

I have what I consider a disposable race bike (Cannondale Team Six-13) that I would consider selling if I ever gave up racing for good. Don't get me wrong, it is a very nice bike, but if I ever gave up the idea of racing, I would probably get rid of this bike, as I have nicer bikes that fit me better than Cannondale's stock geo.

I also have a Specialized Tricross Expert, which is not used much, but given how versatile it is, and how little I can expect to get for it from a resale, I don't seem myself getting rid of it just to clear room.

Finally, there is the one bike I would never sell. That is my Crumpton Corsa-M. That bike is so perfect, I don't know why I am considering anything else. In any event, I have a Steelman XCR-tigged Di2 bike due next week, and a lugged Zanconato XCR SAX MAX Di2 bike due in the next two or three months. I have always wanted a nice tig frame and a nice lugged frame in steel, and I hope both choices fill my "wants" in both category.

I am also in search of a travel bike that I could take with me to rides such as D2R2 or to Europe. None of my bike currently are set up to travel easily. That seems to be a hole in the quiver.

I am not saying I would not thin my heard; I would, in the right circumstances (e.g., if I gave up racing my Cannondale Team Six-13 or if I received a good offer for my Tricross Expert). But right now, my herd appears to be expanding, not thinning.

I do, however, catch myself wondering how many bikes I really do "need."

bironi
06-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Have 3, but will get it down to one. And then I'll be gone. :beer:

Peter B
06-15-2011, 11:36 PM
I once was content with a single road bike and MTB. As I piled on the miles & years I added a track bike, then later my first custom, thanks to lessons learned and friends met here. Each one was built up just so over time. Now I have several nice stock frames, a few classics and a handful of fine customs.

I'm fortunate to have acquired what I have and worked with some fine builders along the way. Thanks go to more than a few forumites for feeding my habit. I periodically consider simplifying my collection, though I never can seem to decide which ones to let go. If I do decide to simplify, first offerings will be back to the forum.

sonatageek
06-16-2011, 05:45 AM
The only thing I have ever parted with that I regret was my '72 Telecaster Custom. After I bought my new electric guitar, a Yamaha SG-2000 while in high school, I thought, why do I need two guitars? That taught me to give careful consideration before getting rid of a bike.

Smiley
06-16-2011, 06:42 AM
Six bikes all different...One Bedford Fixee fillet brazed, One Kogswell fixee fendered and winter bike use only, One Serotta Uniscasi Road, One Bedford Lite Tourer road with fenders, One old Serotta Ti Max around town and trail FAT tire do anything bike, and lastly my Co-Mo tandem.

SamIAm, what you have is not easily replacable...you've spent a good part of your cycling carrer getting some of those frames...I'd hold on to the unique builder frames for sure...any Yeah sell me your SACHS ......:)

bikemoore
06-16-2011, 06:53 AM
I often consider exactly the same question: whether to thin my herd. I bought some really nice steel road bikes in the late 90s-early 00s that I really enjoy riding, but have since concluded that the pain and expense of storage, and maintenance and the reduced flexibility of multiple bikes is more trouble than it worth. I tell folks newer to the sport that are considering buying additional bikes that if I were them I would have one nice bike and just ride the heck out of it for several years and then replace it rather than aquiring a herd.

So why don't I thin the herd?

1. I think each bike is worth considerably more money than each would fetch in the actual used bike market. When I compare the condition and ride quality of each bike to its' market value, I recoil and vow to never sell it.

2. Every time I finish riding one of them, it immediately becomes my favorite. I don't know how I would ever decide which one (OK...two) to keep.

3. They are irreplacable and help define me as a cyclist. My herd is fairly unique and sort of tells my story as a cyclist.

- 1994 Pinarello bought in Giovanni Pinarello's shop in Treviso back in '94. My sole mount for 4.5 years of cycling all over northern Italy when I was stationed at Aviano Airbase. Some parts need replaced and the decals are starting to crack and flake, but this bike is my first real road bike and I still ride it more than any other. Lugged steel Pinarello is not replaceable....and neither is the 8-speed Campy group that needs some re-building.

- 2000 Paul Hewitt 853 custom made for me in Lancashire, UK. My only true custom fit, custom made bike. Hewitt cycles does not offer these any more and I don't live in the UK anymore. Not replaceable and a great ride.

- 2001 Barry Barron 853 custom made for me in Lincolnshire, UK. Fillet brazed steel made to copy the geometry of the Hewitt. Why I bought it I have no idea, but it rides great. I think I just wanted to throw some business to this very nice local builder that all the local racers seemed to rely on for their race bikes. Not replaceable and a great ride.

- 1997 Serotta Atlanta. Bought it barely used off ebay in 1999 simply because I wanted to try a Serotta. Fantastic ride and not replaceable. Obviously, I became a Serotta fan.

- 1996 Serotta Colorado TG. Bought it new leftover in 2001 because.....I don't remember. But I really like it.

I could probably part with the Colorado TG as the cheapest, but the others would be very difficult to part with.

I have changed how I choose which bike to ride this year and it seems to be working well. One of the chief difficulties I've had is finding time to maintain the bikes. So I tend to let them all get dirtly and in need of some TLC at about the same rate....then I have to maintain ALL of them. This year, I'm bringing one bike out at a time for 6-8 weeks and riding it exclusively, then putting it away clean and moving on to the next bike. So far, I'm liking this scheme.

So, I do like how I don't really have to save money for a new bike anymore and I have to resist the urge to buy something from the classifieds that would just add to my herd problems. But I don't like the idea that I may never have another new bike as these bikes easily last 20 years....probably more since I don't put a lot of wear on each individual bike.

victoryfactory
06-16-2011, 07:12 AM
I occasionally remember with fondness:
Masi
Benotto
Zeus
Litespeed Tuscany
Look 555
Jeff Lyon Expedition
Tomac duel suspension MTB

But before I descend into full blown regret I remember:

Masi: Italian macaroni (noodle) ride
Bennoto: one size too big
Zeus: bad construction quality
Litespeed: My Legend is better
Look: Their low end, probably not even French made
Jeff Lyon: too heavy
Tomac: I was never really cut out for off road riding

Ah, I feel better now. Besides, there are more great bikes out
there than ever before. Lose the regret. It can't be healthy.
Old stuff makes us feel warm and fuzzy but new stuff works better,
IMO

VF

veloduffer
06-16-2011, 08:00 AM
No regrets - I kept the bikes that I wanted (fit and rode well) and sold those they didn't fit or like the ride. One bike that perplexed me was my custom Rivendell Road (built by Waterford). I couldn't stand the way it handled - it didn't track well and my position felt too upright. I was quite hesitant to sell it because it was my first custom and I had followed Grant P. from Bridgestone; I loved my 1993 yellow RB-1 and its handling but I was in-between sizes (56 and 57 for the geometry). But selling the Riv liberated me to pursue my dream bike, a Sachs. Richard had just finished his 25th anniversary bikes and I was able to get fitted for a replica. This bike will always be a keeper.

I've got 6 other bikes, besides the Sachs, that serve one purpose or another. Three bikes are road (Ottrott, Fierte carbon, Sachs), three are cross bikes (Serotta Concours, Kish, All City SS/fixie) and a mtb (Trek Fuel EX 8).

I've got the Kish set up as a tourer with a triple, and it has eyelets so I can attach my Nitto rack at any time.

The All City is my all weather bike with studded tires for winter and Roly Poly tires otherwise. It's so easy to clean and rides really well. I just need to get some fenders for it.

Most of my riding is road and rotate between the Ottrott and Fierte; I use the Sachs on nice days and not in big group rides (fear of crash). They are both 17 lbs + an ounce or two and could get lower with some lighter parts, but won't until stuff wears out. The carbon Fierte surprised me, as I was a bit of a CF naysayer. I like the ride -- it feels different and I got the fit dialed in (needed a -17 stem as the headtube is really long). If I had to part with a bike, it would be the Ottrott. It has the titanium rear triangle (not ST rear) and a horizontal top tube - it doesn't feel much different than my Kish. But I got a great deal on it from the forum and it wouldn't yield enough to buy another bike.

Note, I got this stable built up in 18 months after an 11-year hiatus (golf addiction) when I was down to three bikes.

I'm happy with what I've got and there's no real desire to add to the collection. I'm trying to ride them all as much as my work and family life permit me. :beer:

BTW, buying the Serottas really gave me an appreciation for the brand - the workmanship and ride quality are among the best. If I felt the need to reduce, I would sell most to get a Meivici. :banana:

DonH
06-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Went from 15 bikes down to 7 over the last couple of years. Wish I could get it down to less, but I just can't.
I have no regrets, except for selling the IF 29er and the Legend. I miss them both.

Joachim
06-16-2011, 08:37 AM
I sold a Paletti steel frame (chrome rear) and fork made with Columbus SP tubing which I rode on as a junior when I was 21. That's the only one I wish I could have back. The person I sold it to, stopped riding and sold it to someone else. I think that is part of the regret (stopped riding).

jr59
06-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Great feedback guys. I have decided to let 4 go. It feels right, at least for now.

Sam, You are ill!
Please go to the Dr right now.

Your stable is OUTSTANDING, just think of the time you would have to wait if you wanted them again. Some you may have to wait a LONG time to get again. We aren't talking about just any old/new bikes. The builders in your stable are some of the best around, with the longest wait times.

DON"T do it! You will regret it latter.

bking
06-16-2011, 09:52 AM
I got into bikes just a short 6 years ago, and i envy the long history most of you have with biking. Regret that i found this great sport/outlet/hobby so late in life. With just 6 years i'm probably not that qualified to address regrets on selling a bike, and the fact that i haven't sold one definitely moves me to the unqualified column (I did give one away to a brother in law though).
In spite of my lack of credentials i believe i can help. Don't sell; build.
I may be late to the party but i'm working my butt off to make up. When the garage got filled up and i was concerned about security, i added on. I now have a nice size bike room wherein hangs the spendy or spendier ones.

This is good all around. The construction economy could use the economic boost (i speak from painful experince there), removes the concerns of an accidental open garage door, provides a warm/cool place to tinker, and, of course, potential for expansion thereby removing the need for "thinning" (just saying that promotes terrible images). Just a thought.

thenewguy11
06-16-2011, 09:59 AM
My excuse for why I'm not selling my Merlin compact road frame (which was really my first nice road frame) is that my son will one day want to ride a ten speed like dad and then I can let him ride it.

He's 2 years old so it'll be a while I suppose, but that's my rationale.

alancw3
06-16-2011, 10:14 AM
bought my first serious road bike when i was 12 years old in 1959. throughout the past fifty years i am been fortunate to owe some great bikes but i have no regrets selling any of them except possibly for that first bike and that would be purely for sentimental reasons and wall art. several years ago i thinned the herd down to one bike from five. for me it was the right decision. l love the simplicity of having only one bike. i also found that when i had multiple bikes in reality i only ended up riding the newest acquision anyway.

caveat: i do owe an nexus 8 internal hub hybrid that i use as a grocery getter and beach bike.

mister
06-16-2011, 10:33 AM
i've had many bikes in the short period (6 years) that i've been riding.

don't really regret selling any. kinda miss one that was truly unique and rare.

i've got a bike that fits well and does everything i need it to do. it's the bike that feels right when i get on it, i get on other bikes and they just don't feel right compared to my main bike. i do keep a spare bike though, it's faster and lighter but just doesn't feel as right.
it's nice to be able to ride the spare bike so i don't have to drive or work on the main bike immediately.

my main bike is the bike that feels right. i don't have the desire for any other bikes, i don't care for a "stable" of nice bikes. i don't ride mtb's or cross bikes so that makes it easier.

19wisconsin64
06-16-2011, 10:41 AM
it's all good!

if you've bonded with a bike, keep it...if not, then it's your call!!

hey, i'm all for everyone buying lots of custom bikes, and then, someday, at a huge discount, selling one to me! i'm amazed at how cheaply you can get a great condition used ottrott.

i've got four, and am thinning to three. one carbon track bike with carbon everything-one crash and it's trash, but that's ok. one dream bike (it's too nice to ride, and i'm going to sell) nagasawa fixie. my first nice bike -82 motobecane jubilee sport not set up as a c record fixie. last but not not least a ti road bike for when "gears" and "brakes" are needed.

thin the herd....no, my friend, you should order more bikes!!! more, more!! it's folks like you that help drive this bike economy and also help supply the second-hand high-end bike market. and it makes you happy, and everyone else, it's all good.

great thread!

victoryfactory
06-16-2011, 11:43 AM
I don't keep my bikes in my stable any more, the polo ponies
keep pooping on them and hay gets stuck in the gears.

I think I'll move them to one of the guest houses...

VF

velosport
06-16-2011, 06:23 PM
I sometimes fight the urge to get to one but with 17 I no longer know how to get there. I now list myself as a collector and I enjoy them all.

Johnny P
06-16-2011, 06:48 PM
At times I have regretted selling my first steel Serotta which I purchased new in 1990. But it's really been only a passing thought every now and then and not an issue now. Simplifying can feel very freeing.

JP

rounder
06-16-2011, 09:34 PM
When i think of the bikes i have and whether they should be thinned out, I think of all the duck decoys we have...probably about 30-40+. We live in the upper Chesapeake area where there are/were a lot of duck decoy carvers. Every year we go to the local decoy festivals. The stuff and artistists are always interesting and, invariably, we end up buying something. When i think about it, why should i ever have to give up any of my bikes (that i love) when i don't have to give up any of these stupid ducks (which i also love).

tv_vt
06-16-2011, 09:55 PM
Rob,

Do you keep track of which bikes you ride, how often and how far each of them gets ridden?

I'll just share this with you fwiw: a few years ago, I started keeping track of every ride I did, which bike I rode and how many miles. At the end of the year, it was interesting to see what bikes (I have 4) got ridden the most. Since I have a no-net-gain bike purchase policy imposed by my loving wife (and I agree with it), knowing what bike gets ridden the least makes it easier when I need to sell a frame to make room for something incoming that I couldn't resist.

Four bikes, all roadies, is about the max for me. It's a hassle to keep them all in good tires, brake shoes, chains, cassettes, etc. Can understand why you want to drop down from 7. (And like Dave T, your bikes are just my size, based on what I saw when you were in Vermont a few years ago :rolleyes: )

Cheers,

Thom

Pete Serotta
06-17-2011, 07:39 AM
That could help me thin the inventory of bikes quickly but when my legend ti would only fetcg $1000 maybe... That was a "put itin the corner act".

I hsve known of all brands and builders bikes or frames getting less than 30 cents per dollar on the retail frame price.
:crap: If friends fit and want one that makes it easier.

There are a few sellers that are eccellent on the forum and i need to learn from them.

Knowing a fair price for buyer and seller would help me. :confused: Pete

bking
06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Rob,

Do you keep track of which bikes you ride, how often and how far each of them gets ridden?

Cheers,

Thom

I've got 10 road bikes that I ride so to do this very thing i bought a columned log book and list the route, miles, and altitude climbed of each ride. This allows me at a glance to see who needs a little attention, and also makes it easy to see favorites. I've done this for several years now, interesting to see how certain bikes roll back into the "favored" status once in a while. It also provides a place to note maintenance etc., and of course, track weekly and monthly miles. (although i do this on garmin as well)

jlyon
06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Do you list all but your favorite and help the market make a decision?

Do you list your least favorite first and hope people don't know you have some nicer bikes coming shortly?

Do you list the best first then down the line?

Do you list all your are determined to sell at once and eliminate all of your what ifs but add countless scenarios to your buyer decisions?

Other ideas?

rugbysecondrow
06-17-2011, 12:24 PM
I've got 10 road bikes that I ride so to do this very thing i bought a columned log book and list the route, miles, and altitude climbed of each ride. This allows me at a glance to see who needs a little attention, and also makes it easy to see favorites. I've done this for several years now, interesting to see how certain bikes roll back into the "favored" status once in a while. It also provides a place to note maintenance etc., and of course, track weekly and monthly miles. (although i do this on garmin as well)

This articulates how different some of us are. I respect this discipline even though I don't do anything remotely similar to this. I am just not built this way.

DHallerman
06-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Well, I could say I have regrets about ones I've sold, but that's more for how certain bikes looked than anything else.

Considering I've sold about three-times as many bikes/frames over the years as I own now -- and considering how I currently have some of my favorite bikes ever in my life -- regrets now would be foolish.

Some of my current fave road bikes:

Ibis Sonoma Ti
Seven Odonata (steel/carbon)
Burley Fox Hollow
Ritchey Road Classic
Slim Chance
Ibis Spanky
Merlin Extralight

Dave, who has been known to be foolish but that's not his main weakness

rugbysecondrow
06-17-2011, 12:42 PM
I agree with some folks, but Rob would not be asking this question if he were as emotionally attached as others. My interpretation is that he has a more logical perspective regarding these bikes. As much as I like bikes, they are just physical objects, just tubes, paint and parts. If you realize that you have too many, what is he harm in keeping your favorites and ridding yourself of the ones you don't ride.? A bike is worthwhile IMO if it is ridden regardless of the name on the downtube.

Nil Else
06-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Well then again I have conversations with objects... :bike:

bigman
06-17-2011, 01:03 PM
To easy to buy - to hard to sell.

sailorboy
06-17-2011, 01:21 PM
I just keep telling my wife when it seems ridiculous to have 9 bikes that for what I have in them it's like buying a classic car, or an RV, or a boat or something else that (to me at least) seems like a frivilous expenditure for something that isn't even used that often. At least with the bikes if I'm not on them, I can still admire them for their intrinsic beauty as more than just a machine for going somewhere. They don't sit out in the driveway on blocks or with a cover on them for 300+ days of the year....she's still not buying it :rolleyes:

Nil Else
06-17-2011, 01:38 PM
Even as wall art, bikes are great motivator, especially if you are homebody type.

edl
06-17-2011, 02:19 PM
I haven't read the entire thread, but since I've been thinning the herd (of many things recently, not just bikes) I can contribute.

My stable as of last year:

-1st gen Specialized Tarmac (Ultegra 6500)
-Look 565 (Ultegra 6600)
-Gunnar Roadie (DA 7800)
-Gunnar Street Dog
-Dave Moulton Fuso (DA 7400)

As of right now the Fuso is gone, Street Dog is up for sale, the Look will be sold by next month. My end stable will have just two bikes - one in SF where I spend three weeks out of every month, and one in LA where I spend the other week.

I'll have a hard time selling the Tarmac since I've put over 20K miles on it and love the geo. But replacing it with a new SL3 Tarmac may be a nice move. I loved all the other bikes as well, but one of my 2011 resolutions was to simplify my life. As such, it was important to narrow down my possessions to just what's necessary.

I like cars and photography. To keep to my resolution, I sold one of three cars, and about half of my camera lenses.

In general it's hard to part with your possessions, but it also feels good to assess your inventory, determine what is most important or needed, and then part with what's not. I ended up appreciating the remaining items more, logically so since there is only so much time in every day to persue hobbies. It's hard to even own three cars, as they don't like to sit. Rotating a car out every two days is annoying. What do they say, "don't let your possessions own you" or something like that. So I have felt very good about slimming down my possessions, and look forward to continue doing it.

And of course, the thought of a new bike, lens, or car to replace one or two items that have been sold is very enticing. Technology has improved a lot and it's good to refresh your possessions every now and then.

jmeloy
06-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Been a good read as many of the comments strike a cord. I've been back into riding for ~6 years as well. In the early going i was trying to figure out what I liked and what "newer bikes" offered. Then moved into a "collector phase" where I'd buy and then sell something else. Had 2 Kirks and 2 Speedvagens. A bit of regret on the Kirk Cross but it really deserved someone who was going to race it. Miss the '08 SV more than the 2010 and REALLY can't tell you what made me like it more.

Seems like I will vary between 3 or 4. Currently only one road but new Bedford DAYS away. That will keep me at two road which I agree is the way to go and my Strong "Dirt-Road" (GREAT choice for gravel, bit of dirt and rough asphalt!).

That said, there is a Pegoretti Marcelo on order and ~9 months out or so. What to do when it arrives???

rbtmcardle
06-18-2011, 05:36 AM
is to limit myself to the following

Meivici
Spectrum Ti
Sachs - several more years to go

Trek Fixie commuter / city bike - fenders / rack etc..
MTB -

This way I have one each of the primary materials, all slightly different in geo.. the Meivici is a quick screaming machine, the Spectrum more laid back, the Sachs, well I guess I will see...

Sure I have some others I would love to have but figure it'd be hard to justify, even to myself.

jr59
06-18-2011, 07:08 AM
It all starts with a plan.
Somewhere down the line, the plan goes a little haywire,
and we end up with just a few more bikes than we planed on.

Oh well! Sounds good to me! :banana:

Ryun
06-18-2011, 12:26 PM
I have sold ahem *a few* bikes here and there. Some come and go with no more than a nod. Maybe I expected too much from them or maybe they werent different enough from something else.
I enjoy the differences in bikes/builders and trying them for a while is fun for me. I spent plenty of years racing where all I had was the stock issue team bikes for that year. Some good some bad. That time has passed and now I like have some options.
Mostly I sell cause I have a vague "bike fund" in my head and selling one lets me move on to the next. Mostly mental more than financial.
Regrets? Oh sure...there are bikes I have that I pine to have back. I have repurchased two bikes when they came back up on the classifieds (the 'zetti ti and an IF SSR). I still have a couple of bike that I would by back in a heartbeat (IF factory LW and 10 Speedvagen) but thats part of the fun.

Also working with the builders and pickingthe pieces is a great part of the interest for me. not that I dont ride and ride them hard but they are almost seperate things for me. I have a bike that is a tool; that gets beat on and I just want it to work for races. Once a bike involves being more than that tool it is emotional purchase and those emotions are subject to change

I take good care of them and pass them along. The transaction price isnt that high in the scheme of things and still beats out what used to be in the garage.

Hey who on here bought my IF flw by the way? PM me, I have an extra hook in the garage :)

BillG
06-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Rob,

If you sell your Weigle I might have to sell a kidney.

rounder
06-18-2011, 08:33 PM
My vote is that Rob does not sell any of his bikes. He either gives them away to worthy friends or relatives or keeps them for future purposes.