PDA

View Full Version : Pic from Ride today

MattTuck
06-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Nothing special, just thought it was a nice pic, with the road gently rising around a curve out of site.

This was on Ruddsboro Rd. near Etna, NH.

johnnymossville
06-15-2011, 03:09 PM
peaceful.

Mr. Squirrel
06-15-2011, 03:41 PM
can you find me in your photo? < nuk nuk nuk! >

mr. squirrel

wooly
06-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Nice. I dig it when people post ride shots. It motivates me to get on the bike!

superfish
06-15-2011, 03:58 PM
exactly. and a good way to see what's out there.

regiolanthe
06-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Great shot.

Reminds me that I should really start carrying a camera ... I'm on the other side of the state (Durham) - but it's beautiful on this side as well... Now that I'm getting older, I'm not in so much of a hurry.... Maybe for my morning commute tomorrow...

Oh ... and on today's lunch ride (through Kittery) ... I saw a weasel run across the road with a mouse in its mouth. Not your usual wildlife spotting...

geo.

tiretrax
06-15-2011, 04:54 PM
the cows?

northbend
06-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Nice photo Matt, looks like nice riding country. I love going back over my summer cycling photo's late in the year when it's cold and rainy outside. I never regret bringing my camera along for a ride

oliver1850
06-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Very nice Matt. I'd love to ride in your part of the country someday.

I'm working on an NHX frame, and needed some stuff from the farm shop tonight. I got to the bottom of the drive and there's this huge moon coming up, so I went back to the house for the camera. I don't understand the reason, but the moon looks big to the naked eye, but small to the camera. The moon's to the SE, and there's a thunderhead straight north, with a cloud bank stretching west 60? miles. I took 20 shots trying to catch lightning, which was striking every 3 or 4 seconds, but never managed it. One shot has the bike in it, so that's the one you get. A pretty dramatic sky, but I don't have the skill/equipment to capture it.

soulspinner
06-16-2011, 05:07 AM
Sheesh, great stuff guys, its 6:07 am and Im goin ridin.............. :beer:

Lifelover
06-16-2011, 05:16 AM
Lovely

We need more ride pics

Ray
06-16-2011, 05:42 AM
There's an ag preserve near us that I sometimes drive to with my dog to let her run. But its also on several of my favorite riding routes, so often I take a break from riding and do some minor hiking on the side. These are from a little over a week ago. Probably taken within a quarter mile of where I left my bike.

-Ray

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2122/5795094008_46b9845053_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3275/5794536239_7905979c50_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5200/5795091910_953e61617c_b.jpg

LesMiner
06-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Ray, those are great pictures. Did you use a BW setting or sepia? The composition really suits black white photography. The detail and contrast make these pictures stand out, good job!

Ray
06-16-2011, 07:28 AM
Ray, those are great pictures. Did you use a BW setting or sepia? The composition really suits black white photography. The detail and contrast make these pictures stand out, good job!
Thanks. I shoot everything in raw and do my own processing (I'd generally rather make the decisions than leave it to the camera), so I do the B&W conversions after the fact also. The sepia toning, the borders, some of the burns and dodges and sharpening all happen after the shot is already on the card. I was into B&W photography as a kid and did a lot of darkroom work, but the vast majority of decisions had to be made before you took the exposure (which film type, what filters to use, if any, etc). Now you can make an incredible number of decisions after the shot is in the camera, which means you can try different options and see what works best. Digital processing is so much more flexible and so much quicker. I'm having a blast with it.

-Ray

SEABREEZE
06-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Ray you know how to tease a guy. We are having a big drought presently, and my cows would love those bails of hay.

Ship them down to Fl.

SEABREEZE
06-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Nothing special, just thought it was a nice pic, with the road gently rising around a curve out of site.

This was on Ruddsboro Rd. near Etna, NH.

There's nothing like driving up 91 and smelling the balsams.

Thanks for posting. Looks like a nice tranquil rural backroad.

oliver1850
06-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Ray you know how to tease a guy. We are having a big drought presently, and my cows would love those bails of hay.

Ship them down to Fl.

It's so wet here we can't mow any.

Nice pics as always Ray.

oliver1850
06-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Here's some from today's ride. I didn't realize it until I got home and looked at the map, but I got within 9 miles of the Mississippi River today, a pretty good jaunt for me. Don't know what the mileage was, but 75+ I'd guess. Went into a 20mph wind which conveniently was dying by the time I got headed home. Not too often I get stuck on the road bike, but I did today. I was riding unknown roads, came to a torn up section that had big coarse rock, so I took to the ditch. It's been wet here, and before I knew it my front wheel was 3" below the surface. Managed to unclip before I fell over, save the laughter for my next ride. The cemetery is an old one, some of the stones look to be from the period when the area was settled. The tree pic is a very rare American Chestnut, most of which were killed off by blight about 100 years ago. The train is what I call the Peanut Train, because it only has 3 cars. I think its official name is the Carl Sandburg, and runs daily between Chicago and Quincy, on the main line of the original C B & Q, often known as the Burlington. It gets college kids from WIU, Knox, and Monmouth home to the Chicago suburbs.

junkfood
06-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Nice pics Mark! I really like the RR crossing with the passenger car.

Jake

Ray
06-17-2011, 01:05 AM
Nice pics as always Ray.
Yours too. And Matt's original shot as well. Man, you were riding in some serious dark in that first bunch!

-Ray

SEABREEZE
06-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Oli send some of that rain down here.

Your pictures remind me of my summers at my Grand Parents in western Pa. Rural back roads with farm land on both sides, RR tracks, and rolling hills, and the sweet smell of freshly mowed grass. Most important the road was all yours to ride on, with the exception of a car once in a great while.

Living in a big metropolitan area, with the hectic pace, I looked forward being there for the summer.

Thanks for posting those pictures.

Hawker
06-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Oliver, nice pics. I love being able to see a long way across fields like that..."Big Sky"

William
06-17-2011, 03:40 PM
No riding pics today, it was raining. Possibly tomorrow.

Now, here is one from today's jam session that Ahneida Ride and I had. You guess who is who....

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i96/hhamlet/tenn/00009776.gif

William :) ;)

gdw
06-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Mt Evans, 7:30am. 20 degrees, 40+mph gusts, snow...
I was heading to the summit to drop the truck and ride down to support a friend competing in the climb and encountered this guy on his way down. I doubt he made it to the top but just getting beyond Summit Lake was a major accomplishment this morning.

oliver1850
06-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Wow. I think I'd rather ride up than down in those conditions.

sbparker31
06-18-2011, 05:17 PM
moved to another thread