PDA

View Full Version : What vehicle to buy

Rapid Tourist
06-23-2005, 06:21 PM
The tourist needs a new vehicle. I would like to buy something that will allow me to haul my bike around on the inside so I don't have to worry about rain or theft. But nothing super huge. So, if money were no object (which it is) what would you buy? An SUV, a minivan, anything else? Thanks.

Specific recommendations are appreciated.

William
06-23-2005, 06:29 PM
I have had my eye on a Honda Element after riding in AR's at the open house. On the smaller side, but will allow the skunkbird, without removing wheels, to stand up with out removing the seat post ( that means most everyone else can fit their bike in standing up with no problem). Lots of room. Back seats fold up & out of the way...or take them out completly. Front seats fold down to meet the back seats to make a (sort of) bed for sleeping. I liked it alot. Might just be the next William-mo-bile.

William
http://www.auto-sfondi-desktop.com/Wallpapers_Honda_/Honda-Element/Honda-Element-08/Honda-Element-08_1024.jpg

davids
06-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Cost no object? BMW 530xi Sport Wagon:

http://www.bmwusa.com/nr/rdonlyres/be843b87-a54b-405f-86cf-8f1fd750fc54/0/530xit_overview.jpg

JasonF
06-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Well, my Serotta fits in my 911...provided I take off the wheels and jam everything in the back!

Porsche does sell a roof rack system for bikes. The car even comes with built-in channels for roof systems. I think the cost of the official Porsche bike rack costs as much as a new CSi with full Campy Record though. Here's a link for a pic....

http://img294.echo.cx/img294/1958/serotta9113jj.th.jpg (http://img294.echo.cx/my.php?image=serotta9113jj.jpg)

http://img294.echo.cx/img294/1958/serotta9113jj.jpg

Rapid Tourist
06-23-2005, 06:58 PM
These are great recommendations, but I guess that bmws and porches are a little out of my pricerange. Something a little more modest is more my speed. My goal is to get a bike and a dog in there at one time. :)

William
06-23-2005, 07:03 PM
These are great recommendations, but I guess that bmws and porches are a little out of my pricerange. Something a little more modest is more my speed. My goal is to get a bike and a dog in there at one time. :)

The Element....$17-$21,000, two or four wheel drive, loaded, not stripped. Tons of cool accessories. Plenty of room for your bike, gear, and four footed friends.

William :)

Sandy
06-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Don't you mean two dogs, two bikes, and 2 people??? :) :)

Sandy

Rapid Tourist
06-23-2005, 07:10 PM
I'd like to fit as many dogs and bikes as I can in this here thang.

That honda sounds great. I'll check it out!

cookieguy
06-23-2005, 07:11 PM
A Toyota 4Runner works well for me. I purchased mine when it was a year old and it does well with bikes, dogs, friends, dirt roads getting to trailheads etc. Very reliable. I went with the base model with 4 wheel drive...mid20s... you can spend much more for frills if you want them.

JasonF
06-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I was kinda joking about my 911...although it is my bike hauler.

I don't know what kind of dogs you have, but if an SUV is too high for them, an Audi a4 wagon or the new a3 might be an idea.

Matt Barkley
06-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Audi A3 with DSG. Wait untill Fall for the Quattro if you can. :beer: - Matt

Kevin
06-23-2005, 07:17 PM
My wife loves her 2004 Toyota Sienna Limited. It can hold 4 bikes and 4 people all inside.

Kevin

sc53
06-23-2005, 07:31 PM
I got rid of my SUV and now have an Acura TSX--rear seat folds down for bike. But can't do the bike and the dogs at the same time. It's one set or the other. I bought a neat hammock like cover thing for the rear seat (when it's up) that protects it from all the dog claws and slobber and biscuit bits. I now get better gas mileage than my SUV! But if I was going to get another SUV it'd be the Nissan Murano--check out all the different models and packages you can get on this thing at the Nissan dealer right there on Pickett St. on the way to Home Depot (off of Duke St). You can get dogs, bikes, kegs, beach umbrellas, and everything else you want in there.

pbbob
06-23-2005, 07:32 PM
my wife got me a used toyota sienna just to haul the bike stuff around for a birthday a couple of years ago. decent mpg. hauls a tandem. reliable. only thing it doesn't have is side air bags. we may be the only people in columbia with a minivan and no kids.

CalfeeFly
06-23-2005, 07:42 PM
I used to think only the brain dead bought mini-vans until my company got me my first. It is all I'd drive. The bike goes in easily, the dog fits, multiple bikes fit, you name it. Chrysler has an edge with the stow and go seats. The only problem is the transmissions can be troublesome.

:bike:

eddief
06-23-2005, 07:47 PM
bike on car or car on bike.

Please bid so my stock price on Zap will rise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4556842599&category=6472&sspagename=WDVW

William
06-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Go to the web site to see the options and outfit one the way you like it. Very good value for the price.

William

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=Element&bhcp=1&BrowserDetected=True

Bike mount option.
http://handa-accessories.com/elementintbike.jpg

Want to crash out?
http://www.honda.ca/HondaCA/BuildYourHonda/images/2005/Element/interior/default.jpg

Kirk Pacenti
06-23-2005, 07:51 PM
for one of these babies right here! This will fit 2 of my S&S bikes, and all my gear no problem! This way I can ride to my ride!

http://www.efn.org/~cat/html/longhaul.htm

Seriously the Elements work great according to a bike racer friend of mine.

Cheers,

kestrel
06-23-2005, 07:54 PM
Subaru Outback works well for several friends of mine.

I really like the Honda Element though.

Bauch
06-23-2005, 07:56 PM
since I work for Nissan, so I'll second the Murano nomination. I got one for my folks (who love it) and I'll have one of my own in about a month or so.

Now, in an attempt to be objective, I will second Matt Barkley's recommendation on the Audi A3 with DSG. I drove one a few weeks ago, and it's an awesome car. Quattro will likely add about $2300-2400 to the MSRP, assuming that the current A4 grade walk offers guidance to Audi's pricing. Still, the DSG is great, it's the perfect solution to those of us who like the sporty feel of a manual gearbox, but also have to negotiate freeway traffic.

Good luck!

bulliedawg
06-23-2005, 08:00 PM
Whatever you buy, buy it used. With leases as popular as they are these days, there are plenty of clean used cars available in just about every model and shape.

I don't care if you're the Sultan of Brunia himself, it's just plain idiotic to buy a new car. Let someone else take the deprecation hit, even if you're buying a McLaren.

Don
06-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Another vote for the Subaru Outback. I'm on my third one. We carry two bicycles inside without removing the front wheel and still have room for soft luggage. AWD and extremely reliable. Check C R for ratings.

bcm119
06-23-2005, 08:10 PM
I've been drooling over a Passat wagon for a while now. Sporty, small, decent mpg, but fits a bike in back with the seat folded down.

sirroada
06-23-2005, 08:35 PM
If you don't have an issue with ego and you are most interested in functionality I would recommend a Honda Odyssey or a Toyota Sienna. Both can be yours for 28000-35000 bucks. They look nice, ride nice, have plenty of usable, functional space, enough power to pull around a 18.5 foot sea ray, seat up to eight and will get upper 20's (28)for MPG on the freeway. Also, they are very reliable. If I had a choice between the two I would go with the Honda. Spend wisely. I know minivan's aren't going to spin heads however they will make your life a lot more easier. In addition, cars people are less likely to look at are less likely to get broken into.

jerk
06-23-2005, 08:39 PM
volkswagon gti.

jerk

DfCas
06-23-2005, 08:49 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=7009&page=1&pp=15

BumbleBeeDave
06-23-2005, 08:56 PM
My ex just got a Subaru Forrester about six months ago and she loves it. After taking a look inside I can see why. Roomy and well organized. A used Outback would probably also be a good option. We drove one 5 years ago when we went to Colorado for a week and it was really nice--and that was with the older weaker engine. I second the advice about buying used. The last car I bought was in 1996 when I got my Passport and now prices for new are even farther over the edge. But I won’t buy another SUV with gas prices headed for three bucks by next year.

BBDave

palincss
06-23-2005, 09:08 PM
The tourist needs a new vehicle. I would like to buy something that will allow me to haul my bike around on the inside so I don't have to worry about rain or theft. But nothing super huge. So, if money were no object (which it is) what would you buy? An SUV, a minivan, anything else? Thanks.

Specific recommendations are appreciated.

How about what I have, a BMW 525i wagon? Bike fits perfectly with both wheels on, great ride, goes like the wind, one of the most comfortable vehicles you will ever be in.

Can't say I like the look of the new BMWs, but mine's a 2003, the last of the E39s, and IMO about the best looking wagon ever.

vaxn8r
06-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Here's a 2nd or 3rd or 4th for the minivan. My Odyssey was bought specifically because of its bikes and people "in the car" capabilities. My tandem fits in with wheels on. I can fit 7 people and 1 bike inside, or 4 bikes and 4 people inside, or any other variation.

Having owned an SUV in the past (and present)...you're talking either taking off one or both wheels, or bikes on the top of a fairly tall vehicle. Keep a ladder in the back.

I understand the the appeal of "style" in a wagon like the Subaru/VW/Audi but you trade off some bike/people carrying capacity. I suppose if you're single or small family and you never drive (yourself plus others) to a ride, one of these would be a good option.

zap
06-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Volvo V50 or Subaru Legacy. Nobody wants to steal these.

Yet.............

Ti Designs
06-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Y'all have a weird idea of what small means...

RT,

There are lots of suggestions, the next step is for you to narrow it down a bit. Never be afraid to go car shopping with the bike and/or dog. What you need for room depends a lot on how intact or taken apart you want your bike to go in. I have a tiny Honda CRX, two seats, two bikes, no problems - I take both wheels off and I know how the whole puzzle fits together. Go look at cars, and look at them as cars - you need something you like without the bikes/dog in there before you can consider it with them. Drive it, if you're thinking of buying new, abuse the salesperson a bit (it's your right as a new car buyer).

coylifut
06-23-2005, 10:58 PM
I have an A4 quatro wagon that works great for a throwing a bike in the back. Drives nice too. As mentioned before, buy used. Most used vehicles in good shape go for about 1/2 sticker after 4 years or so. My wife had a Forester as a company car back when she worked. Lot's of room, but it didn't drive all that well. The Outbacks seem like a good choice as well. I have a couple of friends with Passat wagons. Those are a good buy used.

musgravecycles
06-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Last weekend we were in Chicago and I saw a Lotus Elise with a Dogma on the side of it. Pretty strange placement, was truely on the side of the car, but I reckon there isn't much car there for a bike...

I've got an old FJ-62 Land Cruiser that's great for hauling bikes or anything else for that matter. But if I was in a position to buy a new car I'd be looking at an Element or a Mini-Van....

arsegas
06-23-2005, 11:18 PM
I'll add a vote for the Audi A4. I've got an A4 Sedan. The trunk is very spacious for a small car, and the trunk boasts a high clearance so it's easy to put a bike in and take it out. My wife has a Honda Civic, which is a similarly-sized car, but has a really small trunk and very low trunk clearance in comparison.

- Eric

Elefantino
06-23-2005, 11:27 PM
But if money were an object, I'd buy one. Lots of room, even for a huge bike, plus great gas mileage. And it's a Toyota.

I am not going to recommend what I own. I want the exclusivity.

slowgoing
06-23-2005, 11:45 PM
Honda Pilot. They start at about $25k on carsdirect.com for a base model. Fits a bike with the wheels on and plenty of room left for other stuff. Very smooth ride and reliable. Low emissons too.

William
06-24-2005, 05:02 AM
Whatever you buy, buy it used. With leases as popular as they are these days, there are plenty of clean used cars available in just about every model and shape.

I don't care if you're the Sultan of Brunia himself, it's just plain idiotic to buy a new car. Let someone else take the deprecation hit, even if you're buying a McLaren.

Gotta go with the B-Dawg on this one. Though the new car smell is nice... :rolleyes: ;)

William

A couple more pics. :D (bet you can't tell that I like it. :rolleyes: )

Rubber floors that can be hosed out for cleaning if needed (carpet available too).

Tent/cabana with vestibule:
http://hondacuraworld.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/ecabana.jpg

http://handa-accessories.com/element/tentpoles.jpg

Front view:
http://www.partscheap.com/elementphoto.jpg

Seats folded out of way:
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/0211_Honda_Element_interior.jpg

Dash view:
http://www.detnews.com/pix/2002/10/09/g01interior400.jpg

Roy E. Munson
06-24-2005, 07:07 AM
2005 Mustang GT Premium - Mineral Grey color

DfCas
06-24-2005, 07:21 AM
Rubber floors that can be hosed out for cleaning if needed (carpet available too).

I've had 2 Elements,and the instruction manual says not to hose it out.You can mop it,but there is a good bit of wiring that wound get soaked from a hose.

If you look at the old thread I listed on a post further up,there is a good bit of info about the Element,including pics with a tandem in one.

The deal maker for me was the fact that the E is available with a manual tranny,for those of us with 2 left feet.

dan

BTW,Climb never disclosed what he got...enquiring minds wanna know.

Ozz
06-24-2005, 07:58 AM
The Element looks like a great little car....I have a Pilot, and the bike does not fit in the back standing up. I am looking to get a Sportworks hitch rack to carry the bikes off the back.

I think for the money, the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna give you the most space for the money, with reliability you don't have to think about. The new Nissan looks like a nice mini-van, but I have not done any research on it.

Also, the Honda has a new engine (not sure if it is standard or an option??) that gets 28 mpg highway.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but carsdirect.com is a great place to do research and get an idea of options and prices.

pjm
06-24-2005, 08:14 AM
The Element is great, but if you don't like the looks there's always the CRV which is basically the same car under the skin. Available with a great 5-speed if you like to do the shifting. Gets 26 mpgs. All the German cars mentioned are great, but remember they all require premium fuel. A new, redesigned Forester is just coming out now, too.

dirtdigger88
06-24-2005, 08:42 AM
I have had production trucks that guys THOUGHT they could hose the interionr- rubber or not there is still insulation under the floor- that gets wet it all over. First it will stink to the high heavens- then the moisture will stay in the insulation FOREVER- Eventually it will cause rust to start forming in the floor boards (an area already prone to rust)

I much as I thought I would never say this- our minivan is damn handy- The fold down seats are the best. The best thing Chrysler has going for them are the deals that they are making now. 0% for 6 years- no payments for 6 months- 100,000 mile warrenty Plus all the factory rebates-

Then again the Hondas are pretty cool as well

Jason

DfCas
06-24-2005, 08:44 AM
An Element and a CRV.The CRV is not very bike friendly-not enough headroom and too short,the way the seats fold.I must remove both wheels to put my 60cm bike in the CRV.I just roll it in the E.

dan

Roy E. Munson
06-24-2005, 08:45 AM
What's the matter with a car and a roofrack?

flydhest
06-24-2005, 08:54 AM
RapidTourist,

If at any point you're interested, let's hook up and you can drive our Volvo V70. We've had a couple dogs in back with plenty of room. You can put two bikes inside without taking wheels off (but with a blanket in between) with a roof rack, we've had 4 bikes and 4 adults plus gear, all very comfortable. I have the next to strongest engine (T5) and still get about 30 mpg on the highway. It's not a small car, but it is much smaller than the SUVs I've borrowed from people and, with the exception of the truly huge ones like the Ford Extinction (err, Expedition) it has more useable space inside. My father and second brother each have a Jeep something or other--the big fancy one--and I think they are a waste of space (let alone gas).

Come test it. Smiley has a minivan that seems great given that they have a tandem, but I'm not sure I could sell myself and definitely not the Doctor on a minivan.

Tom
06-24-2005, 08:59 AM
Y'all have a weird idea of what small means...

RT,

There are lots of suggestions, the next step is for you to narrow it down a bit. Never be afraid to go car shopping with the bike and/or dog...

Somebody described the Element as small... it's pretty big compared to my Civic hatchback which fits one bike in back with the front wheel off. Of course, the dog would have to fit in the front seat which means your human passenger rides on the roof.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I remember an absolutely hilarious Car Talk segment where somebody called in to ask them what car is best for a dog that might get car sick and their advice was to take the dog on the test drives and see what car it didn't throw up in. It degraded, much like the threads on this forum, into the two of them imitating their dogs' warning sounds that it was time to pull over real soon.

coylifut
06-24-2005, 09:00 AM
What's the matter with a car and a roofrack?

there is the occasional incident with the low overhang or driving into the garage with bike on top that needs to be considered.

Gotta say, the Element with the tent thing extended out would make a great base camp at the cross races. My wife would never go for one though.

William
06-24-2005, 09:02 AM
I went and re-read the part I saw about hosing.....It said; You could "practicaly" hose it out. So, my mistake in leaving out the qualifier. :crap:

Fly, we have a V-70 as well. Like it much. It's Mrs William's car. The next vehicle purchase belongs to me...and I'm leaning towards an "E" (if you couldn't tell already).

William ;)

Tom
06-24-2005, 09:04 AM
But Karen thinks it is hideous. Of course, she thinks I look good so that might tell you something about her weird sense of aesthetics.

I didn't like the gas mileage. 30mpg city is about my minimum.

pjm
An Element and a CRV.The CRV is not very bike friendly-not enough headroom and too short,the way the seats fold.I must remove both wheels to put my 60cm bike in the CRV.I just roll it in the E.

You must have the 1st gen CR-V, DfCas. I can put my 60cm CSI in my 2nd gen, standing up, using a fork mount on the floor, with room to spare. I've seen full size SUVs you can't do this with. That being said, the Element has even more room.

Roy E. Munson
there is the occasional incident with the low overhang or driving into the garage with bike on top that needs to be considered

OK, let me rephrase:

Assuming you're not a phucking imbecile, what's the matter with a car and roofrack?

zap
06-24-2005, 09:17 AM
Fly, we have a '94 850 turbo thats somewhat modified :banana: with over 115,000 miles. It has been super reliable and all indications are that it will remain so for quite some time.

It's great for hauling a tandem, trees and misc. home renovation items.

By the way Fly, Bridgestone Pole Position tires are the best for this car. Ride is a little rough, but boy do these tires grip.

pjm
06-24-2005, 09:18 AM
Consider the Mazda 6 Sportwagon, too, if you're not into the SUV thing. Or even the Mazda 3 hatchback.

flydhest
06-24-2005, 09:18 AM
Roy,

Not quite as easy as all that. Even people who are f-ing imbeciles can still damage bikes on the rack. For people with kids or whatever and are talking with them as you're pulling into the garage, the bike on top may not be on your mind. Especially if you didn't use the bike that day, you had, for example been on a trip and hadn't thought about the bike for the past 4 days.

It seems hard to imagine, but I've talked with scores of people who have done it.

dirtdigger88
06-24-2005, 09:22 AM
I saw this guy do it last year at the end of a race as he was leaving the parking lot- everyone was backed up going out this one exit- Mr Smooth decided he wasnt going to wait- so he speeds across the parking lot and tries to cut under this overhang in front of a building- You know the rest of the story. I felt bad for the guy but it was funny- It is kind of like hey smart guy- why do you think NO ONE ELSE was going out that way? :confused:

Jason

Climb01742
06-24-2005, 10:02 AM
BTW,Climb never disclosed what he got...enquiring minds wanna know.

dan,
i got a rather large SUV. it came down to an element or this rather large SUV. my absolute requirement was being able to get at least two bikes in it STANDING UP. that's the killer. i had a BMW wagon, which i could get two bikes in -- as fly said -- on their sides, with a blanket between them. but that was always -- for me anyway -- a pain. finding vehicles with enough height is the b*tch. we test drove the element. s.o. climb hated it. i think i could have done it myself IF i had a second, fun to drive car. but i couldn't see getting two vehicles. my social conscience slaps me upside the head every time i get in my SUV. and driving something big just ain't fun. i just couldn't get my head around a minivan, though that personal flaw ruled out a very bike-friendly bunch of minivans. ultimately for someone who likes to drive, i think the only real answer is a two-vehicle solution: an element and whatever second fun car the budget allows. functionally, an element is damned hard to beat. oddly, though, honda is having a hard time selling a lot of them. the dealers are really dealing on them. my ego got in the way of choosing the smartest vehicle. if i was single, and had only one bike to carry, an audi S4 avante would be in my driveway in a heartbeat.

tch
06-24-2005, 10:08 AM
bugs, dirt, wet/dry crap that flies up from the road...
plus you have to find a place to put the front wheel inside your car anyway and lifting the bike over my head hurts my old-man back....

I own a rack but it only comes out on rare occasions -- like when I have 3 or more bikes to transport.

We have an A4 sedan and a Dodge minivan. My 55cm bike fits in the A4 lying down with the front wheel off reasonably well, but requires a bit of sliding/fidgiting with it. In the minivan, I simply open the back, roll the bike in, loop the rear shoulder belt over the handlebars, and I'm good to go.

I also did a "tour" throughout New England a year ago: I put my bike on one side of the van and slept on the floor on the other side.
It does not drive as well as my A4 but I LOVE my van for practicality.

xlbs
06-24-2005, 10:10 AM
plus a small fully enclosed trailer, for a different point of view. This way you'll have one of the most fuel-efficient vehicles on the planet for everyday use, plus a versatile trailer for load-carrying capacity. The tdi's have lots of torque for trailering, but will accommodate a couple of dogs and another person or two without compromise...just a little bit of alternative thinking...

OldDog
06-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Another vote for the Volvo's. My wife has an S40T sedan and it is a sweet car, though small. 25 mpg as long as you do not hammer it, and when you do it goes. I'd like her to get a station wagon version V50? maybe. Friedns have the V70 cross country and they are very nice. Myself I run a Silverado 2500 HD pickup truck. Big engine, low gears, mileage at about 13. But, it tows what I have to tow, plows what I need to plow and carries two bikes and assorted gear inside the bed/cap and two sea yaks and a tandem on the roof rack. Downside is I need to carry a step ladder to access the roof rack.

Rapid Tourist
06-24-2005, 10:14 AM
I can't thank you all enough for all of these great recommendations.

I had thought at the outset that I would get a minivan. I don't like the idea of driving something huge, and I have problems with the whole "bigger is better" ouvre of SUVs, and the gas consumption issue. Keeping fuel use down is part of why I like cycling...

But anyway, I will take a look at the Honda Element. That looks like a lot of fun. Love the tent thing.

I have no problem driving a minivan from a "Style" perspective. If you could see what I'm driving now you would know that anything will be an improvement. My pooch will soil it pretty well in no time, so I don't care what it looks like.

Thanks so much!!

Fly, I might call you for a look. Thanks!

djg
06-24-2005, 10:19 AM
If cost is an object, you'll invariably do better looking at used vehicles. You could do worse than going out to carmax to walk around and check out some of the options. They'll have used versions of quite a bit of what's being suggested on the lot, and you can check them out and drive them without schlepping around from dealer to dealer.

A minivan is probably the best value if your primary goal is transporting lots of people and stuff. These are big cars, not trucks, which for most purposes (not all) is a good thing. We have a Sienna, which at least sounds Tuscan, which is as close to cool as it gets in a minivan. It does all the minivan things well.

If you don't need that much space, really any mid-sized car with a fold-down back seat will probably acommodate one bike if you're willing to take the front wheel off. I put my bike inside my Volvo S60 all the time--it's not a problem. Handier might be a station wagon--for small wagons you could look at an Audi A4 or, less expensive, a VW Passat Wagon. A larger wagon, like a Volvo V70, will hold a bike and everyone you know.

pjm
06-24-2005, 10:26 AM
The problem with minivans is, they are not all that "mini" anymore. Look at the new Odyssey. It's BIG!! :p

CalfeeFly
06-24-2005, 11:56 AM
You can still get the "short" version of the Dodge. Ironically it for years had a better repair record than the "long" one. I don't know if that is still true.

Talk about big...I remember when a Civic was a glorified 2 seater. The rear seat was for masochists. :bike:

OldDog
06-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Anyone out there owne(d) a Mini (new style) Cooper? Ride? Handling? Power?

dirtdigger88
06-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Anyone out there owne(d) a Mini (new style) Cooper? Ride? Handling? Power?

I have driven one- they are fun to drive- but I would not want one- they are like a go cart- they dont have that much power but they weigh nothing so it balances out-

Jason

William
06-24-2005, 12:16 PM
I have driven one- they are fun to drive- but I would not want one- they are like a go cart- they dont have that much power but they weigh nothing so it balances out-

Jason

Yeah, it was cool but I didn't like driving around with my head sticking out of the sun roof. :crap:

William :rolleyes:

pjm
06-24-2005, 12:18 PM
By the way, as a cyclist, I appreciate Honda's efforts to design vehicles that minimize injuries to pedestrians/cyclists.
http://kcal9.com/topstories/topstories_story_111192400.html
It's nice to know that at least they are trying.

dirtdigger88
06-24-2005, 12:22 PM
A mini Cooper- a moped- and a fat chick have in common?

:p

Jason

William
06-24-2005, 12:23 PM
What?

Climb01742
06-24-2005, 12:49 PM
By the way, as a cyclist, I appreciate Honda's efforts to design vehicles that minimize injuries to pedestrians/cyclists.
http://kcal9.com/topstories/topstories_story_111192400.html
It's nice to know that at least they are trying.

volvo actually worked on this kind of stuff first. but because their marketing focus has shifted from safety, they didn't talk about it. no car company has done more, and is doing more, to make cars and people peacefully and safely co-exist than volvo. sort of a shame that they moved away from talking about safety; they sorta had to, given market dynamics. but their dedication to it began the year -- 1924 -- when volvo was founded. and continues today. though ford owns volvo now, the swedes still protect its heart and soul. it really is a car, and a company, you can believe in.

Mountain Man
06-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Don't buy a big car just to haul a bike around. I can get mine in the back of an Audi TT if I take the wheels off.

Tom
06-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Don't buy a big car just to haul a bike around. I can get mine in the back of an Audi TT if I take the wheels off.

But the Audi must be hell to drive with its wheels off, eh?

Ho ho!

zap
06-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Climb, Mercedes has done as good a job regarding safety as Volvo. These were (are) the only two auto companies that would send engineers when notified by police to accident scenes within, say, 300 km from their respective HQ.

Climb01742
06-24-2005, 02:32 PM
zap, you may well be right. i simply know more about what volvo's done.

Ozz
06-24-2005, 03:36 PM
A mini Cooper- a moped- and a fat chick have in common?

:p

Jason
they're all fun to ride...but you don't want your buddies to see you.... :beer:

Disclaimer - I heard this joke in college...it's not my fault.

davids
06-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Minivans are great - Wonderfully designed and refined to their purpose. In an ideal world, I'd have a minivan and a small sports sedan. (In the real world, I have a station wagon and a large sports sedan...)

The most popular minivans - the Honda and Chryslers - are on the large side. You might also want to consider one of the fewer smaller minivans, the Mazda MPV.

It's over a foot shorter and 1/2 a foot narrower than the Honda and Chryslers and, most importantly, weighs about half a ton less!

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2004/Mazda/100341047/028600-E.jpg http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2004/Mazda/100341047/028598-E.jpg

flydhest
06-24-2005, 03:50 PM
they're all fun to ride...but you don't want your buddies to see you.... :beer:

Disclaimer - I heard this joke in college...it's not my fault.

uhh, I thought it was, if you try to ride too fast and push too hard you'll get this loud, whining sound and perhaps a bit too much exhaust from the tail pipe with eyes that look bugged out.

:no:

beungood
06-24-2005, 04:06 PM
I would like to second the mention of the Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab with the Duramax Diesel. It has plenty of interior room ,can easily carry two road bikes of any size, get's great mileage (for it's size). The cab blocks the ind and the bikes stay below the roofline/slipstream. ANd the crew cab easily accomodates a bike in the rear seat. And it has enough heft to fend off the "phuking imbeciles".

I think the Avalanche would be good for bicylists you can haul inside or outside.

Any mention of the Mini-Cooper should be addressed in the Gay Vague thread.

William
06-25-2005, 07:14 AM
Rapid-T,

Please let us know what you decide. If you go with and Element, I would be grateful for some ride reports and your thoughts & feelings on one.

William

Rapid Tourist
06-25-2005, 07:36 AM
William, will do. I'm hoping to make it to a dealership today to just look at some things and get rolling. I will definately go with a used vehicle. THanks for the help.

97CSI
06-25-2005, 08:30 AM
Specific recommendations are appreciated.While I now have a Ford Explorer, which I think is great and I can set my bikes upright in the back by removing the front wheels, before that I had a Focus wagon, which I throught was great (but not 4-wheel drive, which we have to have to drive on the beaches around us). The new Focus is even better with additional horsepower and better mileage. The big advantage of the Focus over a minivan or Element or SUV is that it comes with a rack that is only a normal car height off the ground and for someone my height (5'9") putting my bike on the rack was easy. I put my bike rack on the Explorer and found out very quickly I needed a step-stool to reach it. Not too bad with the CdA, but tough with the much heavier MTB. So bought a front axle clamp and moved 'em inside. If you need a bit bigger, you might also look at the new Ford Freestyle. A cross between the standard stationwagon and a minivan. Gets excellent reviews (drive-train from Volvo IIRC) and the gov's highest safety ratings.

beungood
06-25-2005, 02:36 PM
I forgot to mention the Landrover and Range Rover series of SUV's. They seem like they have a high roofline suitable for bikes and they are comfortable and equipped with a bullet proof 4 wheel drive system. They seem to hold thier value for a long time also. And being that they are a classy vehicle, you would be well suited for it RT. :)

huey
06-25-2005, 08:01 PM
I would like to respond to this post. I have owned an Element since November of 2004, and could not think of a better vehicle for a cyclist. I am able to stand a 62cm road bike in the back without removing the wheels. To the best of my knowledge there is not another vehicle that you can do this with, including minivans. The one exception is a Dodge Sprinter Van. I have slept in the Element at the 24 Hours of the Old Pueblo, and could not have been more comfortable. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anybody that is looking to transport a bicycle inside of their vehicle. Please feel free to ask me questions.

Huey

Rapid Tourist
06-26-2005, 09:13 AM
I went to three dealerships yesterday to talk about my need to transport dogs and bikes. Test drove the Honda Odyssey and the Toyota Sienna (both minivans), and all I have to say is, they are not so mini. These minivans are huge, and having driven a Honda Civic for the last 15 years, I think these are just too big for my intended use.

So, I ended up at a Mazda dealerhship and I was very impressed by the Mazda 6 wagon. Its a station wagon. This may be a good way for me to go. The mazda drives like a sports car, and holds a ton of stuff.

Does anyone have any experience with Mazdas / are they good cars?? :confused: My family has always driven Hondas and Toyotas, so I know these are dependable choices, just don't know about Mazdas.

David Kirk
06-26-2005, 09:56 AM
volvo actually worked on this kind of stuff first. but because their marketing focus has shifted from safety, they didn't talk about it. no car company has done more, and is doing more, to make cars and people peacefully and safely co-exist than volvo. sort of a shame that they moved away from talking about safety; they sorta had to, given market dynamics. but their dedication to it began the year -- 1924 -- when volvo was founded. and continues today. though ford owns volvo now, the swedes still protect its heart and soul. it really is a car, and a company, you can believe in.

I've owned a number of Volvos over the years. My first Volvo was a 1973 1800ES. It was the "sport wagon" version of what "the saint" drove. I was driving it down the road when a drunk woman heading the other direction tried to squeeze in a left turn in front of me. I "T" boned her Jetta and pushed the passenger side door all the way into the shifter. My car stopped dead and her's slid across the road, hit a telephone pole and broke it. I was going about 50mph.

My Volvo was totalled but I was still able to open both doors. I was 100% fine. I walked away not even sore. 50mph to 0mph in about 8 feet. No airbags, no antilock, just good ol' 3 point belts. I truly feel that old car saved my life.

I went on to own another 1800ES, a 164E, and a 1985 245 Turbowagon ( wonderful bike race car) over the years. While Ford now owns Volvo I think that they are doing a great job not corrupting the brand. I would own another in a heartbeat.

Dave

zap
06-26-2005, 05:09 PM
RT-Mazda's have been good in the past and I'm sure there pretty darn good now. Check Consumer Reports for latest stats on reliability.

dirtdigger88
06-26-2005, 06:15 PM
:cool:

Jason

SManning
06-26-2005, 06:45 PM
I have a Ford Freestyle and absolutely love it! I was driving a Ford Contour and needed more space. I wanted third row seating and room for my bike without driving an SUV or mini-Van. My Freestyle drives like a car, has great visibility and has all of the space for my gear. It's built on the Volvo XC90 platform and comes with AWD or FWD. It received a 5-star crash rating without the optional side curtain air bags. Check it out. Here's a couple of pictures of my car.

Sarah

Sandy
06-26-2005, 06:46 PM
If you give ma a fax number, I will fax a copy of the Consumer Guide analysis of the Mazda. It is a Recommended auto by the Consumer Guide, especially the wagon and hatchback:

"In tems of overall refinement and interior materials, the Mazda 6 is a shade off the pace set by Honda Accord and Toyota Camray in this class. But despite tepid 4 - cylinder acceleration with automatic transmission, it's a match for any rival in terms of driving satisfactionm. It's roomy, pricing and equipment levels are competitive, and the WAGON and hatchback have little class competition. This is a solid Recommended choice."

The average score for midsize scores is 58.1. The Base wagon, with manual transmission scored 63. The cars are front wheel drive. For 2005, there are two engines- It appears to me that the larger engine is used on all the wagons. It is a 220 horsepower V6 engine with 192 (lb-ft) of torque.

Base 4 door wagon- Retail Price- $22,895 Dealer Invoice- $21,118
Sport 4 door wagon- Retail Price- $24,025 Dealer Invoice- $22,158
Grand Touring 4 door wagon- Retail Price- $26,795 Dealer Invoice- $24,707

The above prices are for new 2005 cars.

:) Rapid Tourist's Sweet Smiles- Priceless :)

Sweet Smiling Serotta Sandy

93legendti
06-26-2005, 08:45 PM
I've owned a number of Volvos over the years. My first Volvo was a 1973 1800ES. It was the "sport wagon" version of what "the saint" drove. I was driving it down the road when a drunk woman heading the other direction tried to squeeze in a left turn in front of me. I "T" boned her Jetta and pushed the passenger side door all the way into the shifter. My car stopped dead and her's slid across the road, hit a telephone pole and broke it. I was going about 50mph.

My Volvo was totalled but I was still able to open both doors. I was 100% fine. I walked away not even sore. 50mph to 0mph in about 8 feet. No airbags, no antilock, just good ol' 3 point belts. I truly feel that old car saved my life.

I went on to own another 1800ES, a 164E, and a 1985 245 Turbowagon ( wonderful bike race car) over the years. While Ford now owns Volvo I think that they are doing a great job not corrupting the brand. I would own another in a heartbeat.

Dave

Exactly why I bought a Volvo XC90 last month. 2 months ago a mother and her 2 children were killed in a car accident---hit by a drunk driver. I cancelled my GMC Envoy order and went out and bought the Volvo. My bike fits in easily without taking off the front wheel--even with my 2 year old's car seat in place.

William
06-27-2005, 09:06 AM
I went to three dealerships yesterday to talk about my need to transport dogs and bikes. Test drove the Honda Odyssey and the Toyota Sienna (both minivans), and all I have to say is, they are not so mini. These minivans are huge, and having driven a Honda Civic for the last 15 years, I think these are just too big for my intended use.

So, I ended up at a Mazda dealerhship and I was very impressed by the Mazda 6 wagon. Its a station wagon. This may be a good way for me to go. The mazda drives like a sports car, and holds a ton of stuff.

Does anyone have any experience with Mazdas / are they good cars?? :confused: My family has always driven Hondas and Toyotas, so I know these are dependable choices, just don't know about Mazdas.

Rapid-T, Passed on the Element?

A lot of people don't seem to like the looks of the "E". I do. But then again, I loved the looks of my Saab 900 Turbo SPG. Many people thought they looked kinda weird. I hated it when they changed the body style.

William

(I don't know who the "dudes" are, but mine was that same charcoal color.)

http://www.secret-secret.com/turbo/classic_900/specials/pearlspg.jpg

http://www.komar.org/car/1987_saab_900_turbo_spg/1987_saab_900_turbo_spg_1.jpg

Smiley
06-27-2005, 09:08 AM
so these guys are what ...metro sexuals , not that there's anything wrong with that ?

William
06-27-2005, 09:13 AM
so these guys are what ...metro sexuals , not that there's anything wrong with that ?

I guess I should have posted that in the "Gay Vague" thread. :confused:

William
06-27-2005, 09:20 AM

Dave

I remember watching a video on Volvo and how they developed a lot of their saftey standards. They actually hired drivers to go out on closed roads and stage real accidents, at real driving speeds. The drivers wore no saftey equipment, just the same three point a harness as your everyday driver would (should) wear. They would film the crash from in the car and from a distance and evalute the footage to improve saftey for thier cars and the drivers.

Interesting stuff.

William

Spinsistah
06-27-2005, 10:28 AM

I have a Toyota 4-Runner and really like it. It has a ton of room in the back, and you can always put a hitch rack on it too. Gas mileage isn't the best, but I don't know of too many SUV's that have great mileage. Handles well and is very low maintenance.

SGP
06-27-2005, 11:12 AM
I remember watching a video on Volvo and how they developed a lot of their saftey standards. They actually hired drivers to go out on closed roads and stage real accidents, at real driving speeds. The drivers wore no saftey equipment, just the same three point a harness as your everyday driver would (should) wear. They would film the crash from in the car and from a distance and evalute the footage to improve saftey for thier cars and the drivers.

Interesting stuff.

William

human crash test dummies, must be a tough job to recruit for. ;)

Tom
06-27-2005, 11:47 AM

Interesting stuff.

William

The lesson to be learned here is to never underestimate the power of a large quantity of akvavit.

William
06-27-2005, 11:54 AM
The lesson to be learned here is to never underestimate the power of a large quantity of akvavit.

What is, what Scandinavians will do with caraway seeds?

William ;)

Smiley
06-27-2005, 12:08 PM
human crash test dummies, must be a tough job to recruit for.

anybody in the Kenevil family would apply for this job :banana:

Evil and Robbie paved the way for the swedes to figure it out

Climb01742
06-27-2005, 12:37 PM
i've been to sweden a few times. be very careful with akvavit. many delicious flavors. and man, it sneaks up on you. there are about 18 hours i have no memory of in sweden. (i hope i had fun.) :beer:

William
06-27-2005, 12:45 PM
...there are about 18 hours i have no memory of in sweden. :beer:

And I bought the video on e-Bay. :eek: Only copy...what's it worth to you? :D

William ;)

Smiley
06-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Fly and Mrs Fly brought home some of that Lighter fluid and served it up to Ben and Lori when they were here visiting . Fly really likes that stuff , for me I think it would do a hell of a job degreasing my bike chain

Climb01742
06-27-2005, 12:52 PM
captain, you just didn't taste the right flavor. there's a cucumber flavor that is to die for. if you're ever in new york city, there's a restuarant named akvavit. food is GREAT, and they have many many akvavit flavors. well worth a visit...especially if you're on an expense account. :D

bulliedawg
06-27-2005, 01:01 PM

I have a Mazda Millenia that has 120,000 and has been the most reliable and fun car I've ever owned. I drive the S model with the Miller engine, and it hauls a$$.

Serotta PETE
06-27-2005, 01:50 PM
I'd like to fit as many dogs and bikes as I can in this here thang.

That honda sounds great. I'll check it out!

Also look at Honda Pilot. It gets pretty good gas mileage for its size. 20 to 22 on regular. Seth has been in mine. Have 36K on it and no problems. Two dogs, bike, wife, etc...fit great. Element is nice but daughters thought is was ugly. (BUT IT IS VERY FUNCTIONAL is why I liked it.)

Good hunting - - -hope to see you one of the rides around DC (Sandy will be watching my dogs and chasing the bagel - -let him explain)

PETE

Serotta PETE
06-27-2005, 01:55 PM

Friend of mine has a Mazda 6 for the last two years and is very happy with it. The reliabiility is good but according to the various reports, not as high as Toyota. The ELEMENT is a good vehicle coming from CIVIC and has plenty of room....BUT people will comment on looks

Serotta PETE
06-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Toyota Highlander might also work. It is built on a CAMRY platform and can be had is 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive. (Would not recommend the 4 cyl engine though)

huey
06-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Here are a few pictures posted with my bike and the Element.

huey

William
06-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Here are a few pictures posted with my bike and the Element.

huey

Nice.

What are your impressions so far? Ride, reliability? Any thing they could/should have done better?

The only negative I've seen so far in earlier models was some windshield cracking. Honda had put out a bulletin and was warranting/replacing if it occurred.

William

huey
06-27-2005, 09:18 PM
The ride and driveability are sedan like. Early reviews had stated that the ride was rough or jaring. In the 8,500 miles that I have put on it since November I really do not think the ride is rough. It is on par with an Accord or Civic. For what it is, a box, the ride and gas mileage is pretty good. I live in Phoenix and have the A/C on constantly and I am getting
22-23 in town. I just did a road trip to L.A. and got 25 on the highway. Not what I would consider great, but not horrible either. If I have one complaint, it would have to be the RPM's at highway speed. Hondas have notoriously peaky powerbands, and the Element is no exception. At 80, I am turning 4000 rpm's. I wish they would have either shortened 1st -5th up and added a 6th or just made 5th really tall. The other thing is that crosswinds can blow the Element around a little bit, but nothing horrible.
Reliabiltiy is amazing, as with all Hondas. I have not had any issues at all.

huey

beungood
06-27-2005, 11:13 PM
<<<<I remember watching a video on Volvo and how they developed a lot of their saftey standards. They actually hired drivers to go out on closed roads and stage real accidents, at real driving speeds. The drivers wore no saftey equipment, just the same three point a harness as your everyday driver would (should) wear. They would film the crash from in the car and from a distance and evalute the footage to improve saftey for thier cars and the drivers.>>>>

After 10 years of working the road and responding to numerous MVA's ,I would have to say the Volovo is a consistent performer when it comes to crash safety. Ive been to hundreds of accidents and alot of Volvo's. Those damn things are the closest thing to riding in an armoured personel carrier! Ive never seen anyone hurt in a wreck while belted in one of those. I think they could withstand anything. well anything but running into Big Bill and his Serotta... :bike: :bike:

oldmill
06-28-2005, 05:50 AM
RT - Have you considered the Scion Xb? Even more boxy than the Element, and a bit smaller, but a great value (lists at under $15K). I'm undertaking the same search, and I'm considering the Xb and the Pontiac Vibe

Sandy
06-28-2005, 07:12 AM
After reading all the wonderful and varied suggestions about a car to purchase, sweet Rapid T went into severe sensory overload and had to be taken by a Mazda 6 station wagon ambulance to the Serotta Sanatarium for a major overhaul and convalescence. Her doctor, Serotta Sandy says that she is making remarkable progress. However, she is still often seen riding her custom fixed gear Serotta tricycle into the padded walls of her special cell. Smoke is still emanating from her skull, but the flames are mostly extinguished.

She is really a medical wonder, however,, since she still manages to keep her picture perfect smile. Her smiles are making everyone else very happy, as she slowly improves.

Smiles and medical reports of Rapid T's condition are given each afternoon at 4:00 PM by Doctor Serotta Sandy.

Smiling, just thinking about Rapid T's Smiles,

Smiling Sandy

Dr. Doofus
06-28-2005, 07:33 AM
doof would strongly advise that RT buy a 1988 chevy s 10

(buy his, take what you saved and buy another bike, and then the doof will take the 1800 and buy a Peg from the jerk...win-win, baby)

Roy E. Munson
06-28-2005, 07:38 AM
How often do you people have to transport your bike in a vehicle?

pjm
06-28-2005, 08:01 AM
My bike pretty much stays in my CR-V from March until November, coming out when I ride it. I still have room for 3. Of course if I have 4 people in the car which is rarely, the bike has to come out.

Sandy
06-28-2005, 08:48 AM
I transport my bike normally about 4 times per week as I travel to a ride start. I have a 3 series BMW and take off both wheels so that it will fit in the car. I have no interest in putting the bike on a car rack, although some of them are really excellent.

Snail Sandy

Smiley
06-28-2005, 09:25 AM
THIS IS A RECORD BREAKING THREAD , Congrats RT , Serotta James should send you a free water bottle for this feat :banana: ( largest number of replies to date )

William
06-28-2005, 09:56 AM
THIS IS A RECORD BREAKING THREAD , Congrats RT , Serotta James should send you a free water bottle for this feat :banana: ( largest number of replies to date )

Congrats RT.....What ever you choose. :beer:

William

Kevin
06-28-2005, 07:09 PM

Its actually in 10th place. The number one thread has 297 posts.

Kevin

Kevin
06-28-2005, 07:09 PM

Its actually in 10th place. The number one thread, "A thing of beauty", has 297 posts.

Kevin

Sandy
06-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Was the " A Thing Of Beauty" thread about me?? :D

Sandy

Rapid Tourist
06-28-2005, 07:41 PM
I can't thank everyone enough for the thoughts on this. I follow Sandy, my spiritual guru, and never mount my bike outside the car. Don't like to worry about rain and theft. Its a nice bike, and I like my leather saddle.

Also, sorry William, but I gotta say that the Element just didn't speak to me, although I looked at it. Something about hard plastic flooring. Its a vibe thing. Not that its not great. Thanks Huey for the pics, that's helpful.

Tourist is taking a break from car shopping for a while. Can't decide between a small suv or a wagon. You know your life has changed when you start looking seriously at station wagons, and its a little creapy. Probably should just go with the Honda convertible and hang all my s__t out the roof. :cool:

What is Too Tall's transport method?? I'll bet he and Queen transport a lot of bikes.

William
06-28-2005, 07:49 PM
No sweat RT. Go with what speaks to you. :)

William

Sandy
06-28-2005, 08:12 PM
I speak to her, but I think that she thinks I am a weirdo! :)

Softly Speaking Sandy

H.Frank Beshear
06-28-2005, 08:32 PM
RT you might want to look the toyota rav4 and the highlander. We had a rav great for 2 bikes 2 people and lots of gear. Downside you have to pop out the rear seats but that is a 2-3 minute job. Highlander has more room not as big as a 4-runner but the rear seats fold flat. Its available in a hybrid also. She drove lots of vehicles and chose the highlander because it is rated for a 2" receiver hitch. We can load 4 bikes 10 year old twins, mom, dad and gear for a weekend in it. Her 2nd choice was an outback and if she didn't want to be able to carry 4 bikes it would have been her first choice. Good luck in the quest. Frank

H.Frank Beshear
06-28-2005, 08:36 PM
I think this is probably the longest civil thread we've ever had. :D :banana: Everyone must be getting enough time in the saddle or something :rolleyes: . Frank

Kevin
06-29-2005, 05:10 AM
I think this is probably the longest civil thread we've ever had. :D :banana: Everyone must be getting enough time in the saddle or something :rolleyes: . Frank

Frank,

You had to say it. You couldn't keep your mouth shut. OK guys, Frank has invited all of you to this thread. Well I might as well start the ball rolling.

Sandy, let me tell you about your suggestion of a BMW 3 series .................................................. .............. on second thought I will wait for someone else to start the first fight.

Kevin

William
06-29-2005, 06:30 AM
Yugos SUCK!!!!

William :p

Kevin
06-29-2005, 06:55 AM
I wonder how many bikes you could fit in a Yugo?

Kevin

Serotta PETE
06-29-2005, 08:56 AM

Kevin

ask Sandy, he has a silver one!! :)

David Kirk
06-29-2005, 09:03 AM

Kevin

With a set of bolt cutters and a hack saw I could get A LOT of bikes into anything.

Dave

Sandy
06-29-2005, 11:12 AM
I sold the silver one. I still have the blue one, the red one, the yellow one, the orange one, the pink one, the green one,.......

Yugo where you want to go. I go where the Yugo goes!! :)

Sandy

zap
06-29-2005, 11:31 AM
RT-wagons are hip. Very hip in Europe. Getting to be quite hip in the US. A lot of fast guys and gals have wagons ;)

Come on, become a euro hipster. Not some pretender.

:beer:

Smiley
06-29-2005, 12:39 PM
OK , RT , listen here , forget all these clones touting EURO cars , buy a Ford Escape , if your green get the Hybrid if not get the 4 or 6 cyclinder . We have a 6 and tow our 3000 # boat and trailer with ease . It comes with the tow package , hitch , harness and transmission cooler . All wheel drive on demand and lock in for all wheel drive . Great for snow and Ice but better for wet traction . If you need mulch or Dirt ( not jason ) , rent a U -Haul and tow a trailer for the job at hand . There you have it a mini SUV with truck type hauling capacity . I think the 4 cyclinder limits tow to under 2000 # . We are a FORD family and like to keep the US economy going strong , that's why we buy Serotta All American made bikes too :banana:

ps: will this thread ever end :)

Rapid Tourist
06-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Zap--Thanks for the vote of hippness on wagons. I really really want to be hip.

Thanks all. I can't believe we haven't resorted to pictures of bees or zebras on this thread! Ooops. :crap:

Smiley
06-29-2005, 12:53 PM
now that you gave the subliminal message , I am sure farm animals will follow shortly . Why have the amish not chimed in yet ( with the horse and carridge suggestion ) ?

pjm
06-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Buy American?
http://fullcoverage.yahoo.com/s/bw/b3937071mz058
;)

Smiley
06-29-2005, 03:12 PM
pjm , NAFTA , *** , I did not think that was a good idea when they signed that deal . Ok now we have some contreversy in the thread . Fire away :banana:

William
06-29-2005, 07:33 PM
now that you gave the subliminal message , I am sure farm animals will follow shortly . Why have the amish not chimed in yet ( with the horse and carridge suggestion ) ?

Hows about the stylish Surry Challenger R/T? This baby will get you to the barn raising in style. Plenty of room for your harvesting gear or for the Hot future S.O. Amish person (have to be PC you know :rolleyes: ).

Come on down cause we're a dealin. :banana:

William
http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~doron/amish.jpg

Smiley
06-29-2005, 09:08 PM
U Da Man Willie , now if Dirt will chime in with the Budweiser cart pulled by Clydesdales were completed the search for the Tourista with all options on farm animals :banana:

pjm
06-30-2005, 08:47 AM
How many miles per bail of hay does that model get? And what types of bike racks are available for it? :D

christian
06-30-2005, 08:55 AM
Volvo 145 Express.

I don't know why I'm the first to mention it. Embarassing, really. Also, it gets 25+mpg and will leave you enough left over to buy a Richard Sachs. Seriously, with a rebuilt B20 engine and M40 transmission, this is the perfect bike vehicle. The '72s are the best looking.

http://www.algonet.se/%7Evolvieo/140/album/ga-145Express-71.jpg

Or a Volvo B210 Duett. Also a good bike hauler...

http://www.classicvolvo.com/subs/carsfolder/jarifinduett/leftfront_400.jpg

- Christian

Ginger
06-30-2005, 09:11 AM
Ah no Smiley,
You forgot the ox cart...

and of course

donkeys

and Llamas

and certain large breeds of cart hauling dogs

Tom
06-30-2005, 09:26 AM
I want an Element, but I drive 9000 miles a year to work and 200 miles a year to events or the bike shop. So I drive a Civic. Now if they put a hybrid motor in the Element so I could get my 34mpg highway, things would be different.

Yeah, at 25mpg I burn 100 more gallons of gas which is, even at today's rates, about $250 more a year which isn't that much but it's the principle of the thing. I use a human powered reel mower to mow my lawn because it doesn't burn gas. I save about 5 gallons of gas a year doing that. A useless gesture but god damn it, these days useless gestures is all we have.

William
06-30-2005, 09:48 AM
A useless gesture but god damn it, these days useless gestures is all we have.

I don't know, sounds like a pretty useful useless gesture to me.

William :cool:

flydhest
06-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Go get 'em Tom. I agree with William. As a fellow inhabitant of the planet, I'm glad Tom thinks about these things and acts on it. I'm lucky enough that I use a bicycle as the primary means of transportation.

My favorite "bumber sticker" for bikes is the "one less car" sticker.

http://www.gobybicycle.com/index.htm

Climb01742
06-30-2005, 10:18 AM
A useless gesture but god damn it, these days useless gestures is all we have.

no gesture is useless. especially good ones.

Ginger
06-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Tom, the thing is if you make that one gesture, you and your family probably make others throughout your lives that add up and help encourage that mindset in the next generation. And that's a wonderful thing.

I'm with Tom on the gas mileage issue. Element is cool, but the gas mileage is about the same as my current truck. So why bother? I miss my '91 celica liftback that got 34mpg and I could fit two bikes in the back with the front wheels off, a blanket between them, and the front wheels off...plus enough gear for two for a week...

This thread is good as I've been saying I need a new vehicle. I've had this truck since 2000 and it has 160,000 miles on it. It's about time...but I ran the last Ranger to 290,000 and it finished it's life off with 330,000 miles on it.

Rapid Tourist
06-30-2005, 11:04 AM
Way to go Ginger!!! There's nothing quite as satisfying as using a vehicle until it is used all the way up. The car I will be replacing is an '87 honda civic which I have considered replacing for many years, but since it runs as good as new and I haven't had to make a payment on it in 15 years, I have had a hard time justifying replacing it.

I love using something till its worn out rather than replacing! :banana: Just feels good for the planet to consume less.

Ginger
06-30-2005, 11:08 AM
You have no idea how difficult that can be in Motor City.

:)

William
06-30-2005, 11:10 AM
The Ol Intrepid is just shy of 160,000 G's. I've got to admit it's been a fairly good running car. The AC just went out so it's been a sweat box to drive around the last week.

I'll be putting a few more miles on it before I hook up with an "E" or whatever else I decide to go with.

William
06-30-2005, 11:13 AM
You have no idea how difficult that can be in Motor City.

:)

Don't be a slave to fashion! ;)

William

Ozz
06-30-2005, 11:24 AM
...This thread is good as I've been saying I need a new vehicle. I've had this truck since 2000 and it has 160,000 miles on it. It's about time...but I ran the last Ranger to 290,000 and it finished it's life off with 330,000 miles on it...
You sure drive a lot!

I have a 1996 Acura 2.5 TL (wife bought it in July, 1995)

It just turned over 52,000 miles. It is a terrible car for cycling, cuz there is no way to fit a bike in it with wheels on...with wheels off it is too easy to get grease all over the seats, so I use a Saris Bones rack when I need to transport.

I would luv to get a new car, but this car is nowhere near used up....darn thing just won't die....and at the rate I put mileage on, I figure my son will drive it when he turns 16. He is four now. :p

malcolm
06-30-2005, 11:28 AM
Try a toyota prius. I have a saris hitch rack that carries the bikes with both wheels on,in trays rather than from the top tubes. I have about 10k mi thus far and average 45 mpg on the highway at 78 mph. Prior to the hitch rack I had a roof rack but it cut the mpg, before that I could put two in the hatch with the rear seat down and a blanket between. Vehicle before this one was a VW touareg. Which was a great performance suv, best I've owned, got a whopping 16mpg on the highway. I drive 35k miles/year. So far I've been very happy with the prius, much faster and more comfortable than I expected, seats lack a little after about 3 hours though. Fully loaded with leather and navigation under 28k, base model about 22, and a 1500 or 2500 dollar tax rebate for buying a "green car".

Ginger
06-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Ozz.

Yes...I do drive a lot. I even do that with a couple weekly bike commutes to work thrown in (40miles RT)

That's why I have a few criteria for the next one:
1. the vehicle has to be comfortable. I'd love a deisel jetta but I don't fit those seats
2. The vehicle has to get good gas mileage. And if it's available, I prefer a stick (better gas mileage than the automatics).
3. I need to fit 2-4 bikes and gear inside.
4. Easy service. A car can be rocket science, but I better be able to find and change the battery myself.
OOoooo...5. room for a full-size spare (now I'm pushing things aren't I...)
:banana:

I'd like a fun vehicle for the next one.

William,
I once took one of my trucks in for service at 180,000 miles and the guy working on it said: What do you want from the car, you've got three lifetimes on it! (Evidently they'd like you to get a new car every 60,000 miles...and I know people who do just that. Why do they put 100,000 mile spark plugs in vehicles if you're only supposed to drive them 60,000? And before anyone answers, I used to write service manuals...I know just why they do that...)

Bradford
06-30-2005, 12:29 PM
Why do they put 100,000 mile spark plugs in vehicles if you're only supposed to drive them 60,000?

Often they don't. You are lucky if you get platinum plugs OEM. I drive an Outback, which comes with copper core NGKs. They are fine plugs, but copper core plugs without platinum are only designed to last 30,000.

Slightly off topic (is that possible in this thread?), my dealership tried to tell me that the car is designed for these plugs and won't run right on other plugs. I don't belive this, of course, since I used to be a brand manager for Autolite and talked about this in depth with the engineers. Why would my dealership fib about this you ask? Well if plugs only last 30k, they get a lot more money in service. Just to make it more difficult, the don't put the gap specs in the manual and the plugs are very tough to get to. Nice car, but the plug thing bothers me. I did put in some platininum plugs myself, so no worries for me.

William
06-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Often they don't. You are lucky if you get platinum plugs OEM. I drive an Outback, which comes with copper core NGKs. They are fine plugs, but copper core plugs without platinum are only designed to last 30,000.

Slightly off topic (is that possible in this thread?), my dealership tried to tell me that the car is designed for these plugs and won't run right on other plugs. I don't belive this, of course, since I used to be a brand manager for Autolite and talked about this in depth with the engineers. Why would my dealership fib about this you ask? Well if plugs only last 30k, they get a lot more money in service. Just to make it more difficult, the don't put the gap specs in the manual and the plugs are very tough to get to. Nice car, but the plug thing bothers me. I did put in some platininum plugs myself, so no worries for me.

Actually Bradford and I talked about this very subject on the ride to the Open House. All the fun things the auto companies do to discourage/frustrate you from working on your own vehicle so you'll bring it in for service. Even for minor things like changing bulbs, parts have been "re-engineered" to make it tougher to do it yourself. From changing spark plugs to changing brake light bulbs. :butt:

They can KMA baby!!! I'll find a way. :banana:

William :D

Ginger
06-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Actually...from a service standpoint, they use the 100,000 mile plugs in some vehicles because they've stuffed so much into the engine compartment accessing the plugs is either close to impossible, or it winds up costing 300-500 to change them out. What customer is going to be at all happy with a standard 30,000-60,000 mile service costing that much? The platinum plugs won't necessarily run to 100,000, but they should last until the second owner.

Personally, I think cars are easier to service in some ways because everything is so modular due to the way they build the cars that once you get to something, it's simple to R&I it.

But it is frustrating that things are less serviceable overall...

I also find it interesting that unless you do some research, you can't find out that certain things will work better in your car than the OEM, or that the OEM specs the things to be changed out sooner or later than they need to be just to catch the "average" driver. (I used to write owner service sections as well...)

scrooge
06-30-2005, 01:11 PM
I want a I use a human powered reel mower to mow my lawn because it doesn't burn gas. I save about 5 gallons of gas a year doing that. A useless gesture but god damn it, these days useless gestures is all we have.

I'll chime in too and say "way to go!" I think I remember reading somewhere that mowers (or maybe it was 2 cycle engines in general) contribute to 4% of green house gases globally. If I ever get a house/lawn, I'll be pushing a "reel mower" too.

scooter01
06-30-2005, 03:40 PM
There sure is a lot of advice here!
Well i drive a Denali and and an Excursion Powerstroke, and you know I can get seven bikes or 2 german shepherds in either one no problem.
I can pass anything out there but a gas station :D

weisan
06-30-2005, 04:07 PM
There sure is a lot of advice here!
Well i drive a Denali and and an Excursion Powerstroke, and you know I can get seven bikes or 2 german shepherds in either one no problem.
I can pass anything out there but a gas station :D

Scooter-pal, your name betrayed your likings for big-boats-on-wheels... :D Oh btw, the Royal Highness Sultanese of Saudi Arabia would like to give you her direct line in gratitude to your ardent support of their economy. :banana: