PDA

View Full Version : L.A. Carmageddon - July 15-17

dd74
06-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Pump up your tires and oil your change, 'cause if you have a car, you're going nowhere west of Hollywood. :beer:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=8163427

Bud_E
06-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Pump up your tires and oil your change, 'cause if you have a car, you're going nowhere west of Hollywood. :beer:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=8163427

I'm guessing that cycling between the city and the Valley will be unpleasant as a result of Sepulveda, Beverly Glen, Topanga Cyn, Malibu Cyn, etc. being jammed with cars that can't take the 405.

fourflys
06-14-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm just hoping it will be done by the time I come back through south the week after... having seen the "efficiency" of CA highway repair, I'm not confident...

1centaur
06-14-2011, 05:33 PM
I wonder what the detour signs will advise to, say, a vacationer flying into LAX and heading for the Valley. The locals will know to try the canyons, but will CalTrans actually route people on the freeway via downtown and up to the 101? Ouch. Growing %s of drivers are hooked on in-car GPS and will be confused, at least.

dd74
06-14-2011, 05:43 PM
The city's "authorities" have all said to simply stay home that weekend. Wherever you need to go, you simply will not get there.

SoCalSteve
06-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Its gonna be a big mess, no doubt!

Im thinking about not even getting in a car all that weekend, but we have a training ride for TNT in Palos Verdes (which requires you take the 405 to get there).

I am sure it will be much worse than when the 10 freeway was shut down due to the Northridge earthquake in 1994 for a few months...and that was only 1 small section of the freeway, but it totally screwed up traffic in the entire city until it was reopened.

Picture of the collapsed 10 freeway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Northridge_earthquake_10_frwy2.png)

dd74
06-14-2011, 09:10 PM
At least traffic was routed along Venice Blvd. during the collapse of the 10 Freeway, and overall, flowed well.

It seems today no one has the forethought to re-route the 405 traffic in a similar manner.

Of course, Riordan was mayor then, and made certain L.A. survived its inconveniences as well as possible. With Villaraigosa... :rolleyes:

Why not just ride down to PV instead of suffer in an automobile?

false_Aest
06-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Its gonna be a big mess, no doubt!

Picture of the collapsed 10 freeway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Northridge_earthquake_10_frwy2.png)

Whoa! I live around the block from there. I had no clue. Bitchin'!!!

Now, I'm a new Angelino. It seems to me that this *shouldn't* be that big of a deal especially since this is happening on the weekend.

Yeah, people from out of town might be confused but for everyone else . . . well, CalTrans has been on the radio and TV since at least June 1st telling people they're gonna do this . . .

But what do I know?

My first thought when I heard about the 405 construction was, "Wait, widening the expressway? Why not just put public transit (train) in instead?"

dd74
06-15-2011, 12:07 AM
The expressway (we call them freeways) is being widened. Take a look at how the hillside has been cut into all the way to the edge of those Bel Air properties overlooking the 405, and you'll see what's happening.

Sepulveda might be shifted far to the right once the freeway is widened.

The killer is, the freeway is being widened with the main intent of installing a car pool lane, which is ridiculous since the amount of motorists carpooling in L.A. has steadily decreased in the last ten years.

ultraman6970
06-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Darn! good luck hehehe :)

SoCalSteve
06-15-2011, 07:55 AM
At least traffic was routed along Venice Blvd. during the collapse of the 10 Freeway, and overall, flowed well.

It seems today no one has the forethought to re-route the 405 traffic in a similar manner.

Of course, Riordan was mayor then, and made certain L.A. survived its inconveniences as well as possible. With Villaraigosa... :rolleyes:

Why not just ride down to PV instead of suffer in an automobileL?

It's a 55 mile RT to PV and back. I am coaching a 50 mile bike ride that day, in and around PV with lots of climbing plus I need to bring tools, etc to the ride. Also, i need to be there at 7:00 AM for a coaches meeting...At this point in our - my training, I'm not " there" just yet to do over 100 miles in a ride.

Actually, I can probably get there ok at 7:00AM by car ( I can hop on the 405 after the 10)...I guess I'll take surface streets on the way home.

false_Aest
06-15-2011, 09:25 AM
gimmie the keys to your porsche I'll pick you up.

Charles M
06-15-2011, 09:29 AM
You couldn't pay me enough to ride my bike around there at that time...

It's bad enough on normal days, but stick another several thousand cars on the streets and add a dash of pissed off?

Fuggedaboudit...

SoCalSteve
06-15-2011, 09:31 AM
gimmie the keys to your porsche I'll pick you up.

And what about my bike, tools, etc?

I know, you ride my bike down there, I'll drive the Porsche and meet you. You can take a bus home.

Thanks Tommie! Your the best!!!

PS: Please call me, I have a favor to ask.

dd74
06-15-2011, 10:54 AM
You couldn't pay me enough to ride my bike around there at that time...

It's bad enough on normal days, but stick another several thousand cars on the streets and add a dash of pissed off?

Fuggedaboudit...

It's pretty bad as it is now. Sepulveda is all effed up from the heavy machinery that's been passing over it.

And Mulholland above Hollywood and SFV - they should just close it. What a crappy road. To think at one time we used to "race" our cars up there years ago. Now you can hardly ride a bicycle on it, "iconic" as Mulholland is supposed to be. :rolleyes:

fourflys
06-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Ahhhhh, San Diego.... :D

of course, it looks like I might be in Oakland or Norfolk, VA next year.... or Alaska :eek:

false_Aest
06-15-2011, 03:07 PM
And Mulholland above Hollywood and SFV - they should just close it. What a crappy road. To think at one time we used to "race" our cars up there years ago. Now you can hardly ride a bicycle on it, "iconic" as Mulholland is supposed to be. :rolleyes:

Are you being facetious?

Bud_E
06-15-2011, 03:22 PM
It's pretty bad as it is now. Sepulveda is all effed up from the heavy machinery that's been passing over it.

Mulholland Dr. has been one of my regular routes. It is pretty broken up in places but it's rideable. Actually what scares me the most about riding it is some of the "race-car" drivers up there.

dd74
06-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Are you being facetious?
No. I'm being perfectly honest.