PDA

View Full Version : KRAYNICK’S - My favorite bike shop.

BURCH
06-23-2005, 02:04 PM
I was on a ride this morning and my mind was just wondering thru my cycling life and I came across memories of my favorite bike shop in the world, KRAYNICK’S in Pittsburgh, Pa. Having lived and ridden in 4 states and Italy is enough to lay claim to “favorite shop in the world”, right?

Anyhow, Kraynick’s is no normal bike shop….in fact you can’t technically buy a bike there. Mostly it is a parts store and a school of “how to” for all cyclists in Pittsburgh. If my memory serves me right, Gerry Kraynick’s has owned and run the shop since taking if over from his father. The shop is an old 3 story house that is filled with bike parts in every imaginable spot in the shop.

In college, my friends and I completely relied on Gerry to help us build quality rides for under $500 and then maintain them. He had ever part that you needed to build a bike, you just had to put it together. His tools and bike stands were always available to use and his advice was free and priceless. He usually would let you tinker with the bike for a little bit before he would walk over and give you some advice. Or another customer who knew more than you would help out.

The only link on the Internet I can find is this one which are just some photos: http://www.panoramafactory.com/kraynick/
I know that I once read a story about the shop, but I can’t find. Anyone in Pittsburgh will know (or should get to know) this shop.

Any other gems out there that you guys know of???

weisan
06-23-2005, 02:06 PM
aaahhhh....my kinda shop. :D

Grant McLean
06-23-2005, 03:32 PM
kill me now!!!!!

a messy shop is the devils workshop...

(no offence E-issimo)

-g

Kevan
06-23-2005, 04:10 PM
I think I left my car keys somewhere in here.

dirtdigger88
06-23-2005, 04:13 PM
what does my office say about me

http://www2.boisestate.edu/OSHConsult/messy_office.jpg

Jason

gasman
06-23-2005, 04:22 PM
what does my office say about me

http://www2.boisestate.edu/OSHConsult/messy_office.jpg

Jason

That you through more than dirt ?

dirtdigger88
06-23-2005, 04:25 PM
actually that is not my office since we still can up load pix- but to be honest I think mine looks worse- I am working on 2006 Budgets- I have P&Ls out all over my office- everyone who walks by laughs :crap:

Jason

DfCas
06-23-2005, 09:12 PM
I live about 75 miles south of Pittsburgh,and I have never heard of this shop.I must go see it the next time I'm in Pittsburgh.Makes my shop look inadequate:::

dan

CalfeeFly
06-24-2005, 07:36 AM
From 75 miles away you would not have heard of Kraynick's unless you are in the bike business. There isn't a bike messenger anywhere near here that doesn't know him.

He literally has 3 floors of every type of part you can imagine. He buys out shops and inventories.

You could ride by for years and never know he is there. It is a little hole in the wall of a very depressed business area.

If in Pittsburgh it is worth a visit but call first for hours. If I remember correctly Wednesday is one of his days to ride. :bike:

DfCas
06-24-2005, 07:43 AM
From 75 miles away you would not have heard of Kraynick's unless you are in the bike business. There isn't a bike messenger anywhere near here that doesn't know him.

He literally has 3 floors of every type of part you can imagine. He buys out shops and inventories.

You could ride by for years and never know he is there. It is a little hole in the wall of a very depressed business area.

If in Pittsburgh it is worth a visit but call first for hours. If I remember correctly Wednesday is one of his days to ride. :bike:

And I've never heard of it.Can you give me his phone/address?I'd like to look around there sometime.

Thanks,dan

BURCH
06-24-2005, 08:31 AM
I live about 75 miles south of Pittsburgh,and I have never heard of this shop.I must go see it the next time I'm in Pittsburgh.Makes my shop look inadequate:::

dan

Dan,
Where do you live? I grew up in Connellsville. Here is the shop info that you asked for.

Kraynick's Bike Shop
5003 Penn Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15224-1610
(412) 621-6160

DfCas
06-24-2005, 08:37 AM
I live in Morgantown,WV,about 6 blocks from the basketball facility where them 'eers (who stunned the NCAA tourney people)play.

I have a very small bike repair shop business,which means I usually work on friends bikes for free.

dan

BURCH
06-24-2005, 09:27 AM
I live in Morgantown,WV.

I know Morgantown a little bit. My family are all WVU fans so we went to some games growing up. My dad and most of my uncles went there.

Love the micro brewery they have there.

rwsaunders
01-02-2008, 11:06 AM
BURCH: I was there two weeks ago and it still looks the same. There were 4-5 kids working on their bikes in the rear of the shop. Gerry was working on a bike at another stand, giving out advice.

Not much heat in the place but I found the part that I needed too. What a gem of an individual.

MilanoTom
01-02-2008, 11:22 AM
We used to have a "cluttered" shop in Providence. Rainbow Bicycles was so packed that you could barely get in the door. The owner (who looked and sounded like an old hippy) used to work in the back and have to climb over the unclaimed repair bikes, some of which had been there for at least ten years, when a customer came in. Before they banned smoking in public places, he had a foot high stack of cigarette butts on his workbench.

The owner was a nice enough guy once you got to know him, but he never seemed to want to sell any of the older stuff he had.

Then one day this past summer I drove by and everything was gone - down to the bare walls. Nobody (at least in my small circle of friends) knows where everything ended up.

Tom

BURCH
01-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Wow, how did this post get revived!

scrubadub
01-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks rwsaunders for reviving this thread! I'm off to interview there in mid-January. Can't wait to go check it out.