PDA

View Full Version : Loveland Pass from the west side

Steve K
06-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Starting out in Keystone and riding up to the summit.

1.starting out from Keystone
2.just outside of Keystone
3.starting to roll up the hill
4.couple miles in
5.A-Basin...Open For Fun in mid June
6.Up Up into the sky
7.looking SW back over Summit county
8.more than half way up
9.A-Basin open runs
10.moving up
11.upper side wide switch back
12. things are thinning out
13.Snow, Peaks and Sky
14. more snow
15. Loveland summit
16.Loveland summit looking to the SW

akelman
06-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Those are fantastic -- again! Thanks. There's actually been a lot of melt in the last two weeks, it seems. Still, that's a lot of snow.

Anyway, when we drove over the pass, there were tons of trucks coming up and down, and I found myself thinking that the traffic would keep me from trying to bike that stretch of highway. Is it as bad as it seemed? Or was I being my usual cowardly self?

northbend
06-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Seeing photo's like these make me excited about my son's move to Boulder for grad school this summer! Gonna have to bring a bike with me when I pay him a visit...

Gummee
06-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Wasn't till I rode my MC up some of those passes that I realized why CO riders always had packs with jackets, etc in em.

Brrr! at the tops!

M

Hank Scorpio
06-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the photos. Brings back a ton of memories. I managed the ski rental at the base of A-basin for a season and worked as a night houseman at the Keystone lodge. One time we built a small mini ramp in the dining room of a condo we were renting. How we didn't get evicted I will never know.

john903
06-13-2011, 10:19 PM
I love long climbs and that looks like a beautiful ride. I think a Colorado trip will have to be in store for my 50th birthday in two years. It looks like I'll have to go ride locale our climb this weekend, Mt. Baker.
Have agreat day.

pdbrye
06-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Wow! Wicked jealous.

Louis
06-13-2011, 11:18 PM
I don't see a bicycle in any of those pictures.

I conclude that the "ride" was probably done on the back of a Gold Wing... ;)

sw3759
06-14-2011, 01:24 AM
Thanks Steve for posting all the loveland and copper pics.i recognize every one of those areas you have pictured except maybe the ones with huge snow banks i've never seen those on my summer rides.
i have been riding that area every summer for past 10-15 years and base out of Frisco for a week or so and do all the area rides plus Mt Evans.
that Loveland ride is a beast too.it also broke me from riding with Ti pedal spindles.i broke one right after i started back down the West side.that was exiteing to say the least and that descent makes it easy to hit 55mph and cuddle up with semi's at the same time..great rides in every direction and my favorite way to beat the Texas heat..

Scott

godfrey1112000
06-14-2011, 05:00 AM
the descent from the top of Loveland summit is a screaming bender,
did it for the first time last year, 2010 TBP, heading Wednesday morning to Boulder to do the SunRise Century on Saturday 6.18.11, looking forward to seeing all the sights

Starting out in Keystone and riding up to the summit.

1.starting out from Keystone
2.just outside of Keystone
3.starting to roll up the hill
4.couple miles in
5.A-Basin...Open For Fun in mid June
6.Up Up into the sky
7.looking SW back over Summit county
8.more than half way up
9.A-Basin open runs
10.moving up
11.upper side wide switch back
12. things are thinning out
13.Snow, Peaks and Sky
14. more snow
15. Loveland summit
16.Loveland summit looking to the SW

Sparky69
06-14-2011, 05:53 AM
What is the average gradient ? I will be doing that ride this summer in the Triple Bypass , can't wait .

Blue Jays
06-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Always, always, always pack a windshell, long-finger gloves, and kneewarmers when reaching peaks like Loveland Pass and similar.
Weather changes can come instantly and temperatures can plunge 30-40 degrees in minutes.
It is a truly wonderful and stunningly beautiful area to pedal a bicycle!